Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,037
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
16
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
950

The Perfect Match

Summary:

10 drabbles all of 100 words type of story I sometimes do; the relationship of Remy and Logan in snippets

Work Text:

They were the most unexpected pair and yet, somehow they worked together. Maybe it was the shared impact of a terrible past that made them appreciate and understand each other. Maybe it was the longing for something permanent. Maybe it was because both were by nature outcasts no matter how much the X-men loved to claim to be one big family. Whatever the case might be, they were lovers and neither could be happier about it. Screw those who didn´t think it would last, screw those who thought it wrong. It was easy to see that this match was perfect.

***

Nobody would ever believe that Logan was the poster child for romance. He didn´t do all that sappy lovey dovey shit well but he didn´t have to. The Cajun was all too familiar with big words but little action to need it. Logan was romantic in his own right. He didn´t buy Remy flowers or chocolate but instead took him on a long bike ride. They would pack a blanket, a bottle of bourbon and just ride away. Logan would always lead Remy to a secluded place where they stopped, unpacked and sat leaning into each other, watching the stars.

***

Nobody knew how to push Logan´s buttons quite as well as Remy. Jubilee came close but even she didn´t reach the thief's level. On the other hand, nobody knew how to calm a feral Logan like Remy either. From time to time, a mission would go so horribly wrong or Logan would get so devastatingly hurt that he´d revert into his feral state of mind. Most didn´t dare to come anywhere near him. Remy slowly approached his lover with a nonthreatening posture, gentle words and sounds coming out of his mouth. Every time, the feral was calmed by its mate.

***

Most of the team viewed Remy as a thief. It was true but what they didn´t understand was that Remy loved art in general, not only as part of a heist. Logan knew and did his best to make sure they´d visit an art gallery at least once a month. He didn´t care much for the masterpieces but there was nothing like watching Remy flutter around, excited and thrumming with energy. Remy knew that he was boring Logan with his ramblings about his favourite pieces and that Logan was nodding without really listening. It was the thought that counted though.

***

Logan didn´t need a lover that would hold him at night. He didn´t need somebody that would protect him. He needed somebody that would understand him. Every so often, he would wake up in the middle of the night, sweat pouring down his body, his breathing fast from the nightmare. Remy would always wake up and just sit by Logan. He didn´t initiate contact but waited for Logan to order his thoughts. He didn´t ask him to talk about it but always listened when Logan did. Remy wasn´t a therapist. He was Logan´s rock. Finally somebody understood what Logan needed.

***

It was ironic really that the two mutants everybody trusted the least had unlimited trust in each other. There was no doubt about it. Logan hated to have telepaths in his head unless absolutely necessary but trusted Remy enough to allow him to establish an empathic bond. Remy had never told anybody the complete truth about his life, not Rogue, not tante Mattie, not even Jean-Luc. One day, when the rest of the team was away, he called Logan to Cerebro, put the helmet on his head and told Logan he´d show him anything he´d like to know. Complete trust.

***

Remy and Logan argued relatively often. One of them would have a bad day or suffer from aftershocks of a nasty nightmare and through the empathic link would share the feelings. Whenever it happened, they would lock themselves in the Danger room and fight it out. Logan made sure he wouldn´t hurt Remy too much with his claws, Remy made sure he wouldn´t provoke Logan too much with his explosions but everything else was allowed. An hour and half later, when they were sweaty and bruised, they engaged into a different battle. Angel always found them naked the next morning.

***

The few team members who actually cared about him always asked Remy if he wasn´t worried Logan would never get over his love for Jean, that Remy was only a substitute. With a smile he always answered that no, he wasn´t. They couldn´t understand because they weren´t empaths. Whenever Logan looked at Jean, Remy felt that he still had a soft spot for her, hell he´d probably always have one for Rogue himself. But, whenever Logan looked at him, he felt love and completion so strong it took Remy´s breath away. Jean was no competition, Remy was certain about that.

***

Sometimes, it looked like Remy would forget he wasn´t as invincible as his lover or that Logan would heal from even the worst injuries. Remy was definitely the member who ended up in the infirmary most often, much to Hank´s and Logan´s exasperation. And it weren´t simple scratches either; when Remy went to the infirmary, things were bad. Logan lost count of all the hours he would sit by his lover´s side, whispering gentle words to guide his Remy back to consciousness. Both man and beast suffered greatly when their mate was injured but they enjoyed taking care of him.

***

Logan was a man of few words, everybody knew that. He didn´t tell Remy he loved him as much as Remy used the words and definitely not as much as Jean and Scot. It didn´t bother Remy none. Thanks to the empathic link, he knew perfectly well what his lover felt anyway, he didn´t need verbal confirmation. If Logan wouldn´t tell him those 3 words ever again, Remy would feel just as loved. Then again, hearing it only occasionally made it all the more special. Remy cherished the times when Logan was holding him close and whispered:
"I love you"