Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
3,192
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,089

Through Anothers Eyes

Summary:

A surprise for Lucas, Picard and more besides.

Work Text:

Through Anothers Eyes
By Dennis

 

"Wesley" I heard a familliar voice whisper my name. "Wesley, will you wake up already?" Moaning, I merely rolled over on my other side. "Wesley Crusher, I need your help right now. It's very important"

Waking up I finally placed the voice. A quick glance confirmed my worst fears. Standing there in full dress uniform of an admiral was Q.

"What do you want Q?" I asked. "Whenever he had turned up before disaster of some sort or another had followed. "What is it this time?"

"Wesley, I am shocked. I come here to ask of you a simplistic favor that's easy enough for you to grant and even a great thing for you. What do I get in return, accusations and jabs at my moral character." Q replied.

"Seriously though Wesley, I do need a favor of you and I know that if I went to Captain Picard, he would refuse out of hand. I need you to take care of my godson for me. He's the same age as you and you two have a lot in common."

"NO Way Q. Absolutely No. If the Captain knew I cut a deal with you behind his back, he would flip out. Forget it." I responded angrily.

"Wesley, Please. Your the only person I can possibly turn to. Look at him." Q said as he snapped his fingers.

Suddenly there was this dream of a guy laying in bed beside me. Only two problems, he looked more than half dead and he was soaking wet. "I'm sure you'll take good care of him for me." Saying that Q dissapeared.

Hopping out of bed I threw on a shirt to go wtih the shorts I was wearing. Leaning over I checked the kids pulse. Damn it was pretty thready. Picking him up gently in my arms I spoke. "Computer, emergency transport.Two to sick bay." My last thought as we were dematerializing was how was I going to explain this to the Captain.

 

 

 

Next Chapter

As we arrived in sick-bay I swiftly layed him down on a diagnostic bed and yelled for Dr. Pulaski. I prayed that whatever game Q was up to that this poor lad survived it.

"Wesley?" Dr. Pulaski called out. As she came hurrying out of her office "What's the matter?"

"I need your help over here," I replied waving her over to where I was at. "It's a long story, but Q claims that this kid is his godson."

As she reached my side she took one look at the teen laying on the bed and started mumbling under her breath. Grabbing a med tricorder she began taking a quick assessment of his condition. As the results began to add up she grew paler by the moment. Tapping her combadge, she spoke quickly. "Dr. Selar, to sickbay, code alpha. Computer, page Counselor Troi and Captain Picard to the sickbay immediately" Looking over at me she managed a weak smile. "Don't worry Wesley. It's not that bad, but it's not that good either. I can save him, but you'll need to stay out of the way for now."

As Dr. Selar bustled in and hurried to her side I slipped over to her office to sit down for a moment. I knew that the second the Captain and Counselor Troi arrived it was going to get intresting.

As I watched Dr. Pulaski and Selar work on him, I wondered what his name was and how Q was possibly related to him. Sitting back I slowly nodded off.

 

 

 

Next Chapter

As Captain Picard and Counselor Troi hurriedly got dressed and headed to sick bay, the two Dr's were working on Lucas Wolenczac.

No one knew that a omnipotent being stood there by their side watching as they worked. Suddenly a second one appeared beside's the first.

"So Q, you had to interfere yet again in the course of history. Haven't you learned by now that you can't just have things your way all the time?" the second Q asked.

"Of Course I don't expect things to go my way all the time. It's just that I swore an oath to him that if ever he would need me, I would be there for him. Would you have me break my word?"Q asked.

"You know very well Q, that unless your breaking the pledge that you gave to the continum that it's not a matter at all what you say to these mortals." The second Q responded.

"That's all well and good for you to say. It's not like you have any particular attatchment to this one. But I do." With that Q dissapeared.

Pondering what he had said the second Q observed what was going on momentarily. Perhaps he was right, but then again. This would definitely bear watching over. The Crusher lad, was already a point of concern and contention amongst the members of the Q Continum. After all, the Watcher himself had already spotted the lad and realized his potential. Now a second human like the first. This definitely bore watching.

 

 

 

Next Chapter

"Well Dr. Pulaski, what can you tell me of your patient there?" Picard asked her. He seemed a little disturbed to learn that Q had something to do with this, not to mention young Mr. Crusher.

Motioning for the Capt. and Counsellor to follow her she lead the way to a slightly more private part of sickbay.

"The reason I wanted both of you here is because this is not as simple as it appears to be. I have already treated his injuries. The most serious of which was the dehydration and the exposure. But I am afraid it's a bit more complicated than that." Dr. Pulaski said frowning. "I'm afraid your expertise is going to be needed here counsellor. When I was checking him, I found signs of old injuries. I double checked to be sure, but there is clear evidence that who-ever this boy is, he was abused."

At the sharply indrawn breaths of the two she paused and went on. "I'm afraid that the abuse was mostly physical. There's evidence of both various broken bones and fractures. There's also partial evidence of previous suicide attempts. I can't say for sure whether it was suicide attempts or something else, but that's what it looks like."

"Very well, Dr. Pulaski. What else do you know about the child in there." Picard asked her.

"He's in all likely hood a minor yet. I would guess his age to be 16 or 17. Also of intrest is the fact that it appears he couldn't have grown up on a federation planet. There's signs of carcinogens, nuclear radiation poisoning and such. I already took care to reverse the effects. Hopefully, Ensign Crusher can fill us in a bit more as well as the lad himself when he wakes up." Dr. Pulaski finished.

"Captain, if you have no objections, I would like to be here for when the boy wakes up. I think it may help if he see's a friendly face. I already picked up a sense of fear, sorrow, pain and guilt from him as we walked in." Troi said. "I think it may take a while for him to come to grips with what all has happened and where he is now."

"Very well counselor. But first let's see what young Mr. Crusher has to say, shall we?" With that he headed over to wake him from his nap.

 

 

 

Next Chapter: Lucas' Dream

'No Dagwood, don't drink the water. It's saltwater, if you do you'll only end up worse' Lucas pleaded with him. 'Dagwood, don't. I promise you it will only be a little bit longer and someone will rescue us.'

But it was no good. Dagwood drank the seawater anyway. As he lay there watching his friend slowly dying as the salt poisoned him. Lucas prayed that someone, somewhere would rescue them.

*Damnit* he thought. *Why the hell did things have to go so wrong for us? Why didn't we spot the deception before hand and act to save ourselves.*

*It's all my fault. If I hadn't come with this would have never happened. I'm cursed, a jinx.* he thought. *After all I have been through allready, I should have known it.*

'Lucas, Lucas speak to me. It's me your Uncle John.' Q said softly. 'Come on kid, you can make it. Just hold on a little longer. Help is on the way.'

'Uncle John? Is it really you?'Lucas asked. 'But how can you be here. You dissapeared so long ago. You were the only one who ever really understood me. Why did you leave me?'

'I'm so sorry Lucas. I didn't mean to leave you, but I had to go away for a time. But I'm here now and I promise I will save you.'

Suddenly Lucas felt like he was weightless. There was no longer any cold or wind blowing. He heard a strange voice saying something. Then nothing.

 

*

 

"Well Ensign Crusher,is there anything else you can tell us?" Picard asked slowly.

"No sir. All I know is Q woke me up, and kept asking me to do a favor for him. The last thing he did was snap his finger and the kid was there and then he dissapeared. I know that he kept referring to him, as his godson though." I responded.

"Very well then, I suppose we'll have to wake till our patient out there wakes up to learn anything further." Picard was saying when suddenly they were interrupted by a blood curdeling scream.

As Dr. Pulaski and Counsellor Troi raced out they were followed by Picard and Wesley Crusher.

As the Dr. and Counselor reached his bedside, Lucas suddenly sat up and started looking around him in shock.

"Are you all right?" Troi asked him softly, in a gentle voice.

"Pardon me, but Who the hell are you? And where the hell am I?" he responded.

"I'm Counsellor Dianna Troi, and over on the other side is my associate Dr. Kate Pulaski. As far as where you are, that's not important right now, other than to tell you that your in the sick bay. Can you tell us what your name is?"

"I'm Lucas, Lucas Walenczak. But the last thing I remember I was laying on one of the small islands of Titan dying, and wishing I was somewhere safe. What is this place though? It's not like anywhere I ever saw before. The last thing I seem to recall, is talking to my Uncle John, but that was a dream wasn't it?"

"I don't know Lucas, but I am sure we can figure it out. Can you describe your Uncle John for me?" Diana asked.

"Sure, but who are those two over there and what's with the strange get ups?" Lucas asked pointing over at the Capt. and Wesley. "Any way Uncle John is, or I should say more accurately was an Admiral in the UEO, he's tall maybe 6' or so. Average build. has brown hair on the short side going a tad gray. He's got a weird accent that I can't quite place." Pausing he broke off what he was saying at the startled expresson on the Counsellor's face. "Did I just say something wrong or something?" he asked puzzled.

"Not at all Lucas" Dr. Pulaski responded. "It's just a bit of a suprise is all. The person your describing is someone we know very well, but under a different name."

"That still doesn't answer my question though, where am I?" Lucas repeated again.

"I think It would be best for me to answer that question Mr Walenczak. I am Captain Picard of the Federation Starship Enterprise. First, let me ask you a question before we go any further, what year is it?"

"What year? It's 2012 of course, what year would it be?" Lucas responded. "At the look on the face's around him, he froze. "It's not 2012 is it? What the hell year is it now?" he asked in a panicked voice.

"It's not important right now for you to know that Lucas. But suffice it to say, that the 'person' who you described as your Uncle John, did save you. We have had dealings with him before and he's not what he appears to be. In fact, I can state for a fact that he's not your Uncle John." Picard stated flatly. "For now, I expect it would be best for you to stay in sickbay, where Dr. Pulaski, can keep an expert eye on you, for any further problems or complications." Looking over to Dr. Pulaski, he saw her nod of agreement.

"In the mean time, if you will excuse me, I need to speak to Counsellor Troi and Ensign Crusher." Picard said.

 

*

 

As the three of them moved off to the Doctor's office, Wesley realized where he had heard the name before. At the realization of who it was that Q had dropped into his lap so to speak, he wondered what was going on.

"Capt. Picard, I just realized who our guest is, the name sounded familliar and it finally clicked. He's the Lucas Walenczac, the one who had drafted the first basic designs and outlined the ideas for a working sub-light engines." Wesley said speaking up. "It was never known what had happened to him for at the time, he had been assigned to the Seaquest, when the UEO was still the major power and it had dissapeared."

"I recall now, it was a very large mystery of the time, how a vessel of that size could so completely dissapear without a trace. But that's a matter for another time. For now, we have to deal with what his presence here means, what his past is in connection to us and most importantly, Why Q is intervening directly." Picard responded. "Counsellor, what were you able to pick up from him?"

"Not a lot at all. I don't know if it's just because he's a very withdrawn person or if he's encountered folks with telepathy before, but I was able to pick up very little. Mostly a great deal of panic because of where he is and nothing is familliar. I also got a very strong sense of guilt, I would say survivors guilt." Counselor Troi replied. "He's very, I don't know how to put it. But he's very independent and is not very open to other folks or dealing with them. I would say almost hermit like in nature."

"I expect it would be best then Counselor to have him meet with you on a regular basis, but what are we going to do about quarters for him?" Picard asked, thinking out loud. "After all Q has really made a mess of things this time around for all of us."

"I agree Captain, as far as quarters go, I have a suggestion. If Wesley wouldn't mind, I would suggest moving the two of them in together. They are both very close in age, and are very independent. I expect that Lucas would be more comfortable that way, as well as the fact that Wesley can show him around and help him out that way." Troi responded.

"I have no objection Captain, and It would be a good idea as Q was very specific in naming me, to take care of him. But why?" Wesley asked puzzeled.

"That Mr. Crusher is the question on everyone's mind. For now,I would suggest you get what sleep you can, as your shift will be here all too soon. Also, I'll see about making the arrangements for the quarter changes. You can take care of it after your shift." Captain Picard stated.

Meanwhile, out in the main area of SickBay

"Ah, Dr. Pulaski?" Lucas asked hesitantly

"Yes Lucas?" Dr. Pulaski responded, as she kept an eye on the readings of the bio bed.

"Can you tell me what's going on? Why is everyone so startled when I mentioned Uncle John. How would you guys know him even. I'm taking it to be that we are pretty far in the future from 2012 then, are'nt we?" Lucas asked, trying to catch her eye.

"All right, I agree you deserve some answers, so I will tell you what I can. It's not going to be everything though." Pulaski responded. "I haven't as of yet, personally met who we call Q, but I have heard about him. He's a being, of seemingly limitless power, he can easily do anything and everything he wishes to. Your description of your Uncle John, and Wesley's story pretty much guarantee that they are the same person."

"So what aren't you telling me? How come Unc- I mean Q bothers the Captian so much?" Lucas persisted.

"Well all I know of their relationship is mostly second hand, but basically since the first time Q has shown up he and the Captian have been...." Dr. Pulaski paused "I suppose advesaries would be the best word for it. The first time, Q put Captain Picard on trial for all of humanity's sins. From there it just went downhill as the Captain, felt that Q had no right to do so. They just, well Q just rubs the Captain the wrong way."

"Oh, one of those deals. I suppose then that the Captain isn't going to be all that happy with me being here than is he?" Lucas asked hesitantly. "I mean if he and Q are that much at odds..." he trailed off.

"Ohhhhh Lucas" Dr. Pulaski sighed. "Lucas, trust me the Captain isn't a big ogre, and he's not about to take this out on you. But there is something I would like to talk with you about. I know you're probably going to feel that it's none of my buisness, but I do need to get some answers. When I was checking you for what was wrong I noticed several things. Do you want to tell me about who it was that abused you?"

"Wh...Wha...What are you talking about? Abused me?" Lucas responded. "I have no idea what your talking about."

"Lucas, let's not play games here all right. I know about the broken bones, and also the fact that either you, or some one tried to make it look like you tried to committ suicide, by cutting your wrists." Dr. Pulaski replied softly, then went on. "I know because it all showed up on the medical scan. If you don't want to tell me about it that's fine, but it does help to talk about it."

"I...I..It's not important. I screwed up a lot and it was my fault. I just shouldn't have been so stupid. If I hadn't pushed him so hard It wouldn't have happened. It was my fault." Lucas said in a bare whisper.

Kate Pulaski, felt her heart break at this. Going over to Lucas, she pulled him to her. "Lucas, oh you poor kid. It's not your fault at all. No one has the right to abuse another person. No One!!!"

end