Actions

Work Header

Parallel Voyage 7: Homecoming

Summary:

Sequel to Prodigal Daughter. Voyager finally returns to the Federation. Families are reunited, new ones are begun, and some are met with tragedy.

Work Text:

Parallel Voyage 7: Homecoming
by Jeffrey Harlan
lead_ink@yahoo.com

 

 

Part One

Voyager dropped out of slipstream, coming into an orbital approach of a small, blue-green Class-M world.

Earth.

"Starfleet Command," Chakotay said, "this is Voyager."

A young lieutenant appeared on the viewscreen.

<He looks younger than Harry,> Chakotay thought. <Hell, he looks like he's fresh out of the Academy.>

"Voyager," the lieutenant said. "We received your data package transmission. We've been expecting you. You're cleared for immediate approach to spacedock." The lieutenant paused. "Welcome home. Again."

"Thank you, lieutenant," Chakotay said. "We intend to stay, this time."

"I'm sure everyone will be glad to hear that, Voyager," the lieutenant said. "Your senior staff is scheduled for debriefing with President Kapron and Starfleet Command in two hours. Beam-down coordinates will be transmitted upon docking."

"Understood," Chakotay said. "Voyager out." Pressing a button on his control panel, Chakotay said, "All hands, this is the captain. We are now in Earth orbit and are on approach to spacedock. Our long journey is finally coming to an end. Congratulations, everyone." He paused, then added, "Docking stations."

******************************************************************

The adjutant stood next to the controller at the transporter unit's control panel. The young man had been told the Voyager had finally made it home, and that was all he knew, besides the fact that he was to escort the senior staff to their meeting with the president.

"They're ready to beam down now," the transporter operator announced, after a message flashed on his control panel.

"Energize," the adjutant said. Seven forms began materializing on the pad, coalescing into Chakotay, Dyson, Tuvok, Torres, Paris, Kim and the Doctor.

<Where's Janeway?> the adjutant thought. "Are all of you here?" he asked.

"Yes," Chakotay replied.

A little confused, but remembering his job, the adjutant indicated the adjoining hallway and said, "Follow me, please. The president is expecting you." The adjutant led them through a maze of hallways, leading to the Presidential Offices, where President Kapron - a Bolian - and three Starfleet admirals waited, only one of whom Chakotay recognized.

"Dad!" Paris said, surprised. "I wasn't expecting you to be here, too."

Admiral Owen Paris rose and walked over to his son. "I was in charge of the Pathfinder project," he said. "Our mission was to find a way to contact you. Guess you beat us to it." Admiral Paris paused, noticing his son's collar. "Ensign? You were a lieutenant, last time I was on Voyager."

"Long story, dad," Paris said. "I guess you haven't checked your mail. I recorded a letter to you after it happened, then coded it to send automatically when we came into Federation space."

"I'll make sure to take a look at it," Admiral Paris said.

"Gentlebeings, please," Kapron said, "have a seat. I trust there are no Q involved in your return, this time?"

"No, sir," Chakotay said. "We did it on our own, more or less."

"More or less?" asked Admiral Christopher Allen, the new Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet.

"We didn't invent the Quantum Slipstream drive," Chakotay explained, "but the engineering staff managed to integrate it into our systems.

"That brings me to my first point," Kapron said. "You've made quite a few discoveries while in the Delta Quadrant. Just the top of the list is impressive: Quantum Slipstream drive, transwarp drive, you've beaten the Borg singlehandedly nearly a half-dozen times..." Kapron paused, looking at the Voyager crew. "Needless to say, nearly every expert in the Federation wants to meet you."

"Speaking of the Borg," Admiral William Ross said, "I understand you have one as a member of your crew."

"Yes, sir," Chakotay acknowledged. "Seven of Nine. Lieutenant Kim here knows her better than anyone."

Kim blushed as the president and the admirals shifted their gazes to him. "We're, uh, we're married, sir," he said, feeling a need to explain himself.

Eyebrows raised, Admiral Allen said, "That's... interesting. However, a more pressing concern is the situation regarding Kathryn Janeway. Would you fill us in on the details, Mr. Tuvok?"

"Lieutenant Torres," Tuvok began, "determined that sabotage had been ongoing aboard Voyager since our second year in the Delta Quadrant and informed me of her evidence. I began an investigation, aided in part by a comprehensive list of possible suspects compiled by Seven of Nine.

"Lieutenant Bowman, late of the Starship Challenger, was apprehended in Engineering while attempting to sabotage the EPS system and the warp core. He identified then-Captain Janeway during the investigation as the head of a ring of saboteurs, although he had no knowledge of who the others in the ring were. Ensign Swinn came forward shortly thereafter and arranged a plea
bargain, in which she was reduced to crewman in exchange for testimony against Janeway.

"I compiled my evidence into a report, which was in the data packet we sent prior to our arrival. I presented the evidence to then-Commander Chakotay. Upon his completion of reading the report, we effected the arrest of then-Captain Janeway.

"Captain Chakotay, Commander Dyson and Lieutenant Marcus, the latter both of the Starship Challenger, served on the board of her court-martial, presided over by Chakotay. Janeway clearly admitted her guilt during the proceedings. Following the court-martial, Captain Chakotay did not wish to succeed Janeway, but I insisted, as he was first officer and, therefore, next in the chain of command. Logically, he was the only choice to serve as captain."

"I still can't believe that," Admiral Paris said. "Kathryn Janeway was one of the best officers who ever served under my command."

"The facts cannot be disputed," Tuvok said. "She herself admitted guilt."

"That's one thing," Admiral Paris said, "but her _Maquis_ first officer presiding over her trial and succeeding as her replacement? A little convenient, if you ask me."

"We followed all Starfleet protocols," Tuvok said. "Chakotay was her first officer, and had long since rescinded his ties with the Maquis."

"Your logic is irrefutable, of course," Kapron interrupted. "I also happen to agree with you. I'm sponsoring a resolution in the Federation Council that would grant immunity to the Maquis aboard Voyager and make all field commissions granted aboard the vessel official, if that person wishes to remain in Starfleet." Admiral Paris shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"With that out of the way," Allen said, "I think we should take this from the top. Let's start with the Caretaker..."

 

Part Two

"Mom?" Naomi Wildman asked, as she entered the quarters she and her mother, Ensign Samantha Wildman, shared aboard Voyager. "What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

Wildman looked at her daughter, eyes red and puffy from her tears, which were streaming down her cheeks. Naomi came closer, noticing the PADD her mother was clutching. Wildman jerked away as Naomi reached for the PADD, but Naomi was able to grab it nonetheless. She keyed up the message - text only, she noticed - and read.

    To: Ensign Samantha Wildman, USS Voyager NCC-74656
    From: Captain Benjamin Sisko, Starbase Deep Space 9

    It is with great sadness that I must inform you of the
    death of your husband, Greskrendtregk, at the hands of
    the Dominion. I know that you will not see this letter
    until long after your husband is gone, and that your pain
    will be great. I lost my own wife at Wolf 359 while
    fighting the Borg, and I know the sorrow that you must
    feel.

    Greskrendtregk died valiantly, saving five others who were
    under fire from Jem'Hadar soldiers. He sacrificed himself,
    taking out twelve Jem'Hadar before he died, and gave the
    others the opportunity they needed to overrun the
    Dominion's position. As a direct result of his sacrifice,
    the battle was won. I have recommended he be awarded the
    Starfleet Citation for Conspicuous Gallantry posthumously.

Naomi looked up from the PADD at her sobbing mother, stunned.

******************************************************************

"'You'll see when we get there,'" Stephen Kim repeated, pacing on a small footpath in a relatively secluded Northern California town. "What's that supposed to mean? And what's taking them so long?"

"Stephen," Libby said, sitting on a carved stone bench nearby with June Kim, "pacing like that won't help. They'll be beaming down any minute."

Stephen stopped, exasperated, and stared at Libby. "How can you just _sit_ there? Except for that one time last year, Harry's been stuck on the other side of the Galaxy! And, last we heard, he was dating a Borg, and now _they_ will be beaming down!"

"Stephen," June hissed, "keep your voice down. People are begining to stare."

Suddenly, two columns of light appeared nearby and a humming noise filled the air. Within seconds, the beams coalesced into the forms of Harry Kim and his wife, Seven of Nine.

Stephen, June and Libby stared at the visibly pregnant body of Seven of Nine for a moment, before Kim broke the silence.

"Mom, Dad, Libby, it's so great to see you again!"

"H-Harry," Stephen managed to say, his eyes darting back to Seven repeatedly, "you're looking well."

"Everyone," Kim said, noticing the shock on their faces and the repeated glances at Seven's midsection, "Seven and I are married."

"And pregnant," Libby breathed.

"It took me by surprise when I first found out, too," Kim said.

"I believe," Seven interjected, "your exact words were, 'What? You're pregnant _now_?"

Stephen and June exchanged expressions of disbelief, while Libby tried to stifle a laugh.

"Score one for the eidetic memory," Kim muttered.

"Well," Libby said. "Let's head to the house. So, Seven, is it?"

"Yes."

"So, Seven," Libby continued, "how did the two of you, ah, get together?"

"While we were working on the Astrometrics Lab," Seven began, "shortly after I was separated from the Collective, Harry requested we meet after hours, ostensibly to continue our work on the project. However, upon my arrival, the room's lighting was dimmed. Harry attempted to engage in idle conversation that was not work-related and suggested a visit to a holodeck simulation of a Ktarian moonrise."

"Huh," Libby said, looking at Kim, "he pulled the same moves on me."

"Despite his accelerated heartbeat, increased respiration and dilated pupils, Harry denied a romantic interest in me. He also rejected my offer to copulate."

"Direct, aren't we?" Libby asked, noting the deep shade of crimson Kim's face was turning.

"Deception is inefficient," Seven said. "I saw no need for it. Over the course of the next year, my humanity began to reemerge, and I came to better understand the emotions I experienced when I was with Harry."

"And then you went on your first date," Libby said.

"Not at first," Seven corrected. "I did not know how to act upon my emotions. It is possible I would not have approached Harry, had I not spoken with Janeway regarding the matter."

"Wait a second," Kim said, "_she_ put you up to making your first move?"

"Correct," Seven said. "It was shortly after we discovered the wreckage of the Challenger."

"And _then_ you went on your first date," Libby said.

"Correct."

"Seven," June asked, "how old are you? You said you'd been assimilated when you were six. The first Borg invasion would put you at fifteen, but you look to be about the same age as Harry."

"I was born in 2348," Seven said, "making me one year older than Harry. Twenty-two years ago, my parents followed a Borg cube they were studying through a transwarp conduit into the Delta Quadrant. We were assimilated not long thereafter. I was placed in a maturation chamber after assimilation, and was separated from the Collective by Voyager after twenty years as a drone."

Silence reigned for several moments, until the five finally came upon the Kim family home.

"Well, here we are," Stephen said.

"Looks just like I remember it," Kim said before stepping inside.

******************************************************************

"I don't think your dad was very impressed with me," B'Elanna Torres said to her lover, Tom Paris, after they beamed back aboard Voyager.

"I would've been surprised if he was," Paris said. "He's old-line Starfleet. He remembers being an ensign when the treaty with the Klingons was still relatively new and tensions were still high."

"It probably didn't help that I was a Maquis," Torres said as they stepped into a turbolift, "or that I left the Academy without finishing."

"Well," Paris replied, "if _I_ could never please him, I think the cards were stacked that much more against you." Paris paused, shaking his head. "I'd really thought he'd changed. Guess I was
wrong. Again."

 

Part Three

"Sam," Lieutenant-Commander Everett Dyson said, stepping into Ensign Samantha Wildman's quarters, "Naomi told me about the letter. I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" Wildman asked. "It's not like you killed him."

"No, but at least there was a purpose, a meaning to his death," Dyson said as he took a seat. "He's a hero."

"What good is that? He's still dead."

"He would likely have died anyway," Dyson said. "At least this way, he saved hundreds of lives. People who would have otherwise died during a siege." Dyson paused as Wildman looked up at him. "Have you even noticed how this has affected Naomi? She doesn't know _what_ to feel. For the last few weeks, she's been getting all worked up to meet someone she'll never see."

"She never knew him," Wildman said. "I never thought this would happen."

"I talked to her," Dyson said. "She's lost someone who she knows is supposed to mean something to her, but she never got the chance to really know, so his death leaves this strange not-quite- emptiness behind. I felt the same way when my great-grandpa died when I was her age."

"Thank you," Wildman said.

"I know what you're going through, too," Dyson said. "Remember, everyone I knew is either dead, or extremely aged. It's only been eighty-four years since those of us from the Challenger disappeared."

"How do you deal with it?"

"I remember that I've got new friends and a new family here, on Voyager. Besides, maybe my kid sister's still alive, though by now she'd be 109."

"You haven't found her yet?"

"No, but that doesn't mean she's not there. After thinking I died on the Challenger eighty-four years ago, why look for me on the Voyager?"

"Good point," Wildman said.

"Well, I'm due on the Bridge. Those of us from the Challenger are about the only ones with no one left to go back home to, so we naturally volunteered for port duty."

"Ev, wait," Wildman said. She stood, walked to Dyson and wrapped her arms around him in a big hug. "Thanks."

"No problem," Dyson said. "See you later?"

"Sure," Wildman said as Dyson walked out of the room.

******************************************************************

"We've got to do something about these clothes," Libby said, looking Seven of Nine over. "You could try wearing your hair differently, too."

"To what end?" Seven asked. "This is more efficient."

"Yeah, right," Libby said. "Who the hell gave you that idea? When you first came on the ship, who was responsible for your clothes?"

"The Doctor," Seven answered. "He devised my first suit, the silver one, to aid my skin regeneration during the initial months following my separation from the Collective."

"But did you _need_ to wear it after your body took over that function?" Libby asked.

"No," Seven replied. "At that point, the Doctor provided me with other attire of similar design."

"Figures," Libby said, exasperated. "Even holographic men don't change."

"Change into what?"

Libby blinked, confused. She was still unused to Seven's unique perspective. "Why do you have to take everything I say so literally?"

"I see no need to do otherwise," Seven said.
 
"Don't give me that," Libby countered. "Harry told me you've got a sense of humor. It _is_ acceptable to show it every now and then; you don't always have to be so damned _serious_."

"You still have not answered my question," Seven said. "What is wrong with my attire and hairstyle?"

"Well, for one," Libby said, "just because it's efficient doesn't always mean it's good. First, let's get you something less... _form-fitting_. And we'll let your hair fall naturally around your shoulders."

Seven looked dubiously at Libby.

"Trust me," Libby said. "I've been dressing myself like a big girl for a long time now."

Seven opened her mouth to retort, but Libby stopped her.

"I know," Libby said. "you dress yourself. But consider this: the Doctor would pick out your clothes for you, and neither of you had any real concept of how regular people dress, did you?"

"No," Seven conceded, "we did not."

"Oh, and while we're rolling," Libby said, "what's with this whole 'Seven of Nine' thing?"

"My Borg designation was Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct--"

"Yes, I've heard that," Libby interrupted. "Didn't you have a _real_ name before you were assimilated?"

"Annika," Seven said. "I was Annika Hansen."

"So reclaim your roots. Take back your name."

"It does not apply to me any longer."

"Bull," Libby said. "In a lot of ways, you're _still_ that little girl. I can see now what Harry does in you, but I also see what he's blinded to."

"And that is?"

"You're scared," Libby said.

"Preposterous," Seven said. "I am Borg."

"No, you're not," Libby said. "Not anymore. How many other Borg are individuals, or are married, or are pregnant? No, you're human all right, and it's time you stopped denying it. It's no sin to admit our imperfections; they're what make us who we are and, in some cases, they can bring us strength."

"That is a contradiction," Seven delcared.

"What about humanity _isn't_?" Libby countered. "Harry's been more than patient with you, from what I've seen, but if you keep denying who you really are, it's going to come back to hurt you. And that will hurt Harry. I still care about him, and I always will. I don't want to see _anything_ hurt him. Ever." Libby paused, then began searching through the computer's clothing database. "Now that we have that out of the way, _Annika_, let's get back to your much-needed makeover."

******************************************************************

Kathryn Janeway stepped out of the shuttlecraft, squinting in the bright sunlight.

"Ah, welcome to our new home, Janeway," said former Equinox Captain Rudy Ransom, indicating the Federation Penal Settlement in New Zealand.

"Shut up, Ransom," Janeway snapped. "I don't want to deal with your crap today."

The three new prisoners - Janeway, Ransom and former Equinox senior staff member Max Burke - were escorted by security guards to the main grounds of the facility, where other prisoners were
milling about. A scraggly, balding man approached Janeway.

"Hi there," he said. "I'm Berlinghoff Rasmussen."

"Kathryn Janeway."

"Oh, I've heard about you," Rasmussen said. "Before I got thrown in here, that is."

"What are you here for?"

"Nothing much," Rasmussen said. "I almost sparked an interstellar incident with the Bajorans."

"What?"

"I tell you, they take their religion more seriously than born-again Christians."

"Who?" Janeway asked, confused.

"Oh, I forgot to mention," Rasmussen said. "I'm from the twenty-first century."

"Time travel? Great."

"It's actually a pretty funny story, when you look back on it. It all started when an historian from the twenty-sixth century appeared in my time."

"I think this is going to give me a headache," Janeway said.

 

 

Part Four

"Seven of Nine," the man in a Starfleet security uniform said, "You will tell us everything you know about the Borg."

"Where am I?" Seven asked. "Why have you brought me here?"

"That's not important, Borg," the security officer said. "Now start talking."

"I am no longer Borg," Seven said. "I am Annika Kim, a human."

"You have tactical information on the Borg," the security officer said. "You will tell us what we want to know."

******************************************************************

Kim awoke to find that Seven was no longer in their bed. He got up, dressed, and went downstairs to the kitchen, where his mother and Libby were sitting, eating breakfast.

"Have you seen Seven this morning?" Kim asked.

"Nope," Libby said. "Last time I saw Annika, you two were going to bed."

"Why do you keep calling her Annika?" Kim asked.

"It _is_ her name."

"The two of you were still asleep when I came downstairs," June said. "She hasn't come down."

"And she's not upstairs, either," Kim said. He tapped his communicator. "Kim to Voyager. Has Seven beamed up this morning?"

"Voyager here," came Dyson's voice. "That's a negative, Harry." Dyson paused, and a beeping could be heard in the background. "Damn. I think I know where she is. We just got a text-only message from Starfleet Tactical; 'Request all data on the Borg. Your drone isn't being very helpful.' I'm sorry, Harry. Looks like they took her."

Kim cut the transmission, pain in his eyes. He looked to his mother and Libby. "I'm going to Paris. Somehow, I doubt the Federation Council knows about this."

******************************************************************

Neelix and Chakotay walked into the transporter room, where B'Elanna Torres was waiting for a group to beam aboard. The pad began to glow, forming into Lieutenant-Commander Data of the Enterprise, Lieutenant Barclay -  formerly of the Pathfinder project, Dr. Lewis Zimmerman and Commander Bruce Maddox.

"Well," Neelix said to Chakotay, "I hope everything goes well with getting Seven of Nine back. Really, beaming her out of bed in the middle of the night!"

"Excuse me," Data interrupted, "has something happened to the woman you removed from the Borg Collective?"

"I should most certainly say so," Neelix said. "Someone from Starfleet Tactical took her in the middle of the night, and now they won't let her go!"

"Curious," Data said. "Is she not a Federation citizen?"

"Yes," Chakotay said, "but they won't acknowledge the fact that she's no longer a drone. Tell me, would anyone else who's been assimilated and then rescued be treated like that?"

"I know several officers aboard the Enterprise," Data said, "myself included, who were assimilated during the last Borg invasion. None of us were treated in this manner. How are you dealing with the situation?"

"Well, her husband," Chakotay began, then noticed Data's look of surprise, "yes, she's married. And pregnant. Lieutenant Kim is speaking to Earth's representatives on the Federation Council, hoping they can force her release."

"I will contact Captain Picard," Data said. "Perhaps he can speak on her behalf as well."

"Thank you, commander," Chakotay said. Data nodded and followed the rest of his group into the corridor, led by Torres.

"Well," Neelix said, "there's a part of me that considers this ship to be home, but another part that's telling me I need to move on."

"I know how you feel," Chakotay said.

"Still," Neelix said, "I know more about the Delta Quadrant than just about anyone else in the Federation. Definitely more than anyone else in the Federation outside of Voyager. That's why I've
decided to go."

"It won't be the same without you, Neelix," Chakotay said. "At least the Federation Astrophysical Survey will have more than just our sensor logs and database to work from."

"Exactly," Neelix said, stepping onto the transporter pad. "Well, goodbye, Chakotay." Neelix looked over to the transporter chief. "Energize."

******************************************************************

Chakotay sat in the Ready Room - _his_ Ready Room, he had to remind himself for the millionth time - and set down the PADD he was reading. He keyed the comm system.

"This is the captain speaking," Chakotay said. "I have just received a communique from the Federation Council. Seven of Nine - officially recognized as Annika Kim - is to be immediately released by Starfleet and accorded all the rights and privileges due a citizen of the Federation.

"Also, all former Maquis personnel aboard Voyager have been granted immunity from prosecution for crimes committed while a member of the Maquis. All field commissions awarded have hereby been made official, should that individual choose to remain in Starfleet." Chakotay paused. "That is all."

******************************************************************

"Seven!" Kim exclaimed, wrapping his arms protectively around his wife. "Thank God you're back."

"I am... undamaged," Seven said.

"Annika," Libby said, "I'm glad you're back."

"How's the baby?" Kim asked. "If they did anything--"

"The child is undamaged, as well," Seven said.

"Well," Stephen Kim said, "there _is_ an upside to this. You're now recognized - legally - as Annika Kim, Federation citizen, and not just as Seven of Nine, former Borg drone. They can't take you, or the baby, without facing serious consequences ever again. It also sets a precedent for any future liberated drones."

"I am relieved," Seven said. "I would not wish to endure that again."

"Well, despite what the council calls you," Kim said, "you'll always be Seven to me."

 

Part Five

"Harry, Seven!" Tom Paris exclaimed, greeting Harry and Annika Kim when they beamed back aboard Voyager. "Wow, you guys look great."

"Tom," Kim said, "how's everything holding together?"

"Not too bad," Paris said. "We must have half the Federation on board, though. Everyone wants to know every detail about everything we ever saw or did in the Delta Quadrant."

"Tuvok must be having a field day," Kim joked.

"Tell me about it," Paris said. " There's a team in Sickbay going over the Doctor with a fine-toothed comb. We've got Starfleet R&D, the Daystrom Institute, the Federation Science Council, the Federation Astrophysical Survey and the Federation Xenobiological Survey all knocking down our doors. And how about you, Seven? You look a bit... different than the last time I saw you."

"I am well," Annika said. "I became acquainted with Harry's former fiancee, Libby, while on the surface. She gave me a 'makeover.' Also, following my experiences of the past several days, I have decided that, officially at least, my name is to be Annika Kim. However, you may call me Seven."

"A nickname, huh?" Paris asked. "So what made you decide on the change?"

"Libby," Kim said. "She refused to call her anything but 'Annika.'"

"She contended," Annika said, "that if I insisted upon denying my human heritage, it would hurt me and, in turn, Harry. Neither of us want to see him hurt."

"Uh-huh," Paris said.

******************************************************************

"Lieutenant-Commander Dyson," Chakotay called. The entire crew of Voyager was present on the holodeck. Dyson stepped forward from the seated crowd, stopping onstage with Chakotay.

Chakotay reached over to Dyson's collar, replacing the black pip with a solid one. "You are hereby promoted to the rank of Commander and, at my request, are to serve as my first officer."

"I won't let you down, sir," Dyson said, and returned to his seat as the audience thundered applause.

"I'm sure you won't," Chakotay said. "Ensign Paris."

Paris took Dyson's place onstage as Chakotay plucked another pip from the table. Pinning it to the younger man's collar, Chakotay said, "Thomas Eugene Paris, you have been officially reinstated to lieutenant, junior grade, by order of Starfleet Command." The audience again erupted in applause as Paris took his seat.

"Ensign Wildman," Chakotay announced, grabbing another pip. Wildman took to the stage, Naomi cheering wildly. "Samantha Wildman, you are hereby promoted to lieutenant, junior grade," Chakotay said, pinning the pip to her collar. "Congratulations." As Wildman left the stage, the applause was led off by Naomi and Dyson, who waited for her at her seat.

******************************************************************

Chakotay and Dyson sat in the Conference Room as the former crew of the Equinox entered.

Chakotay stood, holding a PADD. "Crewmen Marla Gilmore, James Morrow, Brian Sofin, Angelo Tassoni and Noah Lessing," he said, "Starfleet Command has reviewed Captain Janeway's disciplinary action against you and found it to be overly harsh. Therefore, you are to be reinstated to your former ranks of ensign."

The Equinox five, as they had come to be known, looked up in surprise. After having been overlooked at the promotion ceremony earlier, they were expecting further reprisal from Starfleet, given privately by their commanding officer.

"I felt it would be inappropriate to bring your case before the entire crew once again," Chakotay said. "This is, in my opinion, more dignified for all concerned."

Dyson pinned the ensign's pips on the collars of the assembled crew.

"Thank you, sir," Gilmore said.

******************************************************************

"So, you're self aware," Dr. Lewis Zimmerman noted. "Interesting."

"I have expanded far beyond your original programming for me," the Doctor said.

"Indeed," said Data, "your development exceeds even my own."

"Does that make you jealous, Mr. Data?" the Doctor asked.

"It does not, as I have turned off my emotion chip."

The Doctor snorted derisively. "I wish I could turn off my emotions so easily, at times."

 

Part Six

Lieutenant Harry Kim pushed his way through the overcrowded corridors of Voyager on his way to the turbolift. Representatives from nearly every scientific body in the Federation - as well as several dozen reporters - were aboard the ship, trying to wring out every possible detail they could about the Delta Quadrant.

"Lieutenant!" a reporter cried upon spotting Kim, her videocam aimed in his direction. "Lieutenant Kim! Could I speak with you about--"

"Not right now, please," Kim interrupted. "I'm a little busy at the moment." Mercifully, the doors of the turbolift opened at that moment.

But it was filled to capacity. Kim made his way into the lift nonetheless.

"Danger," the computer's synthesized voice said, suddenly. "Current occupational mass of this turbolift exceeds operational safety protocols."

"By how much?" Kim asked.

"Five point zero-six grams," the computer replied.

"Computer, override," Kim said. "Authorization Kim-Omega-Seven-Nine."

"Authorization accepted," the computer said.

"Astrometrics lab," Kim said.

"Was that wise?" one of the passengers, a balding man who looked to be in his seventies, asked Kim.

"The turbolift safety protocols are pretty conservative," Kim explained. "The lifts can actually take several kilos more than they say, so five grams isn't going to do any harm. The computer will reset to the default safety margin once I get off."

"Oh," the man said. Within moments, the lift opened. Kim scanned the deck labelling to make sure he was in the right spot, then stepped out of the lift. He made his way through another crowded corridor to the Astrometrics lab, where he found Annika and nearly a dozen representatives of both the Federation Astrophysical Survey and Starfleet R&D.

"Seven," Kim said, getting his wife's attention.

Annika turned, noticing Kim for the first time. "Harry," she said, "is something wrong?"

"No, nothing's wrong," Kim said. "I wanted to talk to you privately, though. Could we have a moment?"

"Of course," Annika said. She nodded to the scientists she had been conversing with, then said, "If you will excuse me for a moment." Annika walked to a relatively isolated corner of the Astrometrics lab with her husband.

"Seven," Kim said, "I've been offered a transfer, but I don't know if I should take it."

"What does this transfer entail?" Annika asked.

"Tom, B'Elanna and I have been offered research positions at Starfleet R&D," Kim explained. "Considering all the advances we made together, the higher-ups want to pick our brains, as it were."

"I see," Annika said. "And what effect would this have on our affiliation?"

"What we have together is more important than Starfleet," Kim said. "You'll always come first. Never forget that. The reason I came to see you is I don't know if I should accept the transfer. It would mean both of us leaving the ship and all of our friends behind."

"That would be disadvantageous," Annika said. "What are the advantages of accepting this transfer?"

"Well," Kim began, "we'd be living and working in San Francisco. It wouldn't involve a lot of travelling around, so it would be good for our family. We would be very close to my parents'  house, too. Also, it's good for my career."

"You have listed three advantages to one disadvantage," Annika said. "Why are you still uncertain as to your acceptance of the transfer?"

"I wanted to know how _you_ feel about it," Kim said. "This ship has been our home; this crew our family, for years now. We can't just abandon them without considering that first."

"You said that Lieutenants Paris and Torres had also been offered this transfer," Annika said. "Would that not mean they would also be living near us? We would not be completely abandoning our Voyager 'family.'"

"True," Kim acknowledged, "but I still don't know if they're even going to accept. They've got a pretty good situation going for them here."

"Their acceptance or denial of the transfer is ultimately irrelevant to your decision," Annika said. "You must choose for yourself. I will support whatever decision you make."

"Thanks, Seven," Kim said. "That's what I needed to hear."

******************************************************************

"I've decided upon a name," the Doctor said to the group that had been studying him for the past week.

"Indeed," Data said. "What have you selected?"

"Three years ago," the Doctor began, "I programmed a family for myself, to better understand the interaction they provide for humans. My wife, Charlene, called me Kenneth. Also, as my "father," as it were, is Dr. Zimmerman here, I have decided that I shall be Dr. Kenneth Zimmerman."

"You said you had a family," Lieutenant Reg Barclay said. "What happened to them?"

Kenneth's face fell. "I haven't returned to the program in three years."

"How long was it active?" Barclay asked. "Why did you stop using it?"

"My family was active for two weeks," the new Kenneth Zimmerman said. "A week-and-a-half after I initiated their program, Lieutenant Torres made some modifications to make it more... real. My son began associating with Klingons, my wife was overburdened with work, and my daughter..." Zimmerman trailed off, painful emotions long buried now returning to the surface. "My daughter died in a Parisses Squares accident. After that, I couldn't deal with the pain of losing her. I shut down the program and buried myself in my work."

"So you didn't learn a damned thing from the experience," Commander Bruce Maddox said.

"I've been considering reinstating the program," Zimmerman said. "Maybe reprogramming it from the ground up. So many of the crew are going home to their families; maybe I should too."

"I'll help you," Barclay volunteered.

"You'll leave the family just as they are," Lewis Zimmerman said. "If you want this to be like real life, you don't get the option of reprogramming them."

******************************************************************

Half an hour later, Zimmerman shimmered into existence on the holodeck, joining Data, Barclay, Lewis Zimmerman and Maddox. Barclay was manipulating the control circuits of the holodeck's command input panels.

"There's been some degredation," Barclay said. "There's been so much information packed into Voyager's computer in the last few years, the unused holoprograms were starting to be sacrificed."

"Can you repair the program?" Zimmerman asked, worried.

"I think so," Barclay said, his fingers dancing over the controls. The holodeck shimmered, and the plain walls were replaced with the exterior of Zimmerman's family's house. Moments later, Charlene and Jeffrey materialized - immobile, as their program was paused while Barclay worked. The panel began beeping, a rapid, high-pitched sequence.

"Woah," Barclay said, stepping back from the control panel slightly.

"What happened?" Lewis Zimmerman asked.

"I'm... I'm not sure," Barclay said. "The size of their programs just increased dramatically."

"What did you do?" Zimmerman asked.

"I was replacing damaged sectors in their cognitive algorithms by copying them... from _your_ program."

"What is it?" Maddox asked.
 
"I recognize this pattern arrangement," Barclay said. "I once saw it on the Enterprise."

Data stepped beside Barclay. "Intriguing. This pattern is similar to that of the self-aware Moriarty hologram Geordi and I inadvertently created."

"That hologram tried to take over the ship twice," Maddox said. "Should we deactivate this program?"

"No!" Zimmerman exclaimed.

"I do not believe these two will be a threat," Data said. "Moriarty attempted to gain control of the Enterprise because the root programming that he was conceived upon was that of a fictional Sherlock Holmes villain. This pair's psychology is quite different from his."

"Well," Barclay said, "if we're going to activate them, we can do it now."

"Do it," Zimmerman said. Barclay looked to Maddox, who nodded his assent. Barclay pressed a button and Charlene and Jeffrey, quite literally, came to life.

"Kenneth?" Charlene asked. "Who are your friends?"

"Charlene," Zimmerman said, "this is Commander Maddox, Lieutenant-Commander Data, Lieutenant Barclay, and my... father, Dr. Lewis Zimmerman."

"How do you feel?" Maddox asked Charlene.

"I-I don't know. Different, somehow," Charlene paused, then looked at Zimmerman. "Why didn't you tell us we were holograms?"

"You weren't self-aware then," Zimmerman said. "At that point, only I was."

"Bring her back," Charlene suddenly demanded. "Bring back Belle!"

"I can't do that," Zimmerman said. "She's dead."

"We're holograms!" Charlene cried. "Reinstate her program!"

"I'm afraid that's not possible," Barclay said. "Your programs were degraded, so I repaired them, accidentally making you self-aware. Hers was completely lost. She can't be brought back."

"Then I'll reprogram her," Charlene shot back, tears welling in her eyes.

"It won't be her," Kenneth said.

"You heartless bastard," Charlene said. "She's our daughter!"

"And we can't bring her back from the dead," Zimmerman said. "We have to accept that."

 

 

Part Seven

"B'Elanna," Kim said, pushing his way through Main Engineering.

"Hey, Starfleet," Torres said. "What brings you down here?"

"I wanted to talk to you for a minute," Kim said.

"This sounds serious," Torres quipped.

"Have you and Tom decided on the transfer offer yet?" Kim asked.

"Actually," Torres said. "We were waiting to see how you and Seven decided."

"Oh," Kim said. "I spoke with Seven, and I've decided to accept."

"Wow," Torres said, surprised. "I wasn't sure if you'd take it or not."

"Well, Seven and I are starting a new family, and I felt a planetside assignment near my parents would be more stable for us."

"I'll have to let tom know what you decided," Torres said. "The two of us can go from there."

"Let me know when you decide," Kim said, then turned and left Main Engineering.

******************************************************************

"The past few weeks seem to be wrought with goodbyes," Chakotay said, holding out his glass to make a toast. "We wish you the best as you move forward with your lives."

The others assembled in the Mess Hall - all close friends of Harry and Annika Kim, as well as Tom Paris and B'Elanna Torres - raised their glasses, saying, "The best!"

"This ship isn't going to be the same without you," said Ensign Marla Gilmore.

"Seven," Naomi said, walking up to Annika, "When the baby's born, send me some pictures."

"I will comply," Annika said, a small smile on her face.

"Doctor," Kim said, "I understand you've reopened your family program. How's that working out?"

"It's been difficult," Zimmerman said. "Did you also hear they're self-aware now?"

"That's what I heard," Kim said. "Is Charlene handling things better now?"

"You certainly seem to know a lot about my family, Mr. Kim," Zimmerman said.

"I spoke with Lieutenant Barclay," Kim explained.

"Ah, I see," Zimmerman said. "It took some time, but Charlene and Jeffrey are adapting to their existence as sentient holograms rather well. Naomi has already made sure that Jeffrey has no problem integrating with the crew. She took him on a tour of the ship with my mobile emitter." Zimmerman paused, then continued, "It would have been nice if they'd _asked_ first. I had to meet with everyone who needed to see me in either Sickbay or the holodeck because I couldn't simply walk out the door."

******************************************************************

"Home, sweet home," said Kim as he and Annika entered their new apartment in San Francisco.

"It is considerably larger than our quarters aboard Voyager," Annika remarked.

"Of course it is, Seven," Kim said. "We're on Earth, not a starship."

Kim showed Annika around the apartment, pointing out their bedroom, the baby's room, the living room, the dining room, the kitchen, the bathroom and the balcony patio.

"I know you want to keep busy," Kim said, "so, until the baby's born at least, I've convinced Admiral Quinteros to let you work with us as a civilian contractor."

"How did you accomplish this?"

"I mentioned the fact that you've helped rebuild the Astrometrics lab, design the Delta Flyer series, integrate the Quantum Slipstream drive and a whole host of other advancements. Plus, you've got the collected knowledge of the Borg Collective, and they've run into quite a few species and technologies we haven't even seen yet."

"And that was sufficient to convince the admiral?"

"The collected knowledge of the Borg part was the deal-breaker," Kim said, leaning in close to kiss his wife.

******************************************************************

"What do you think, B'Elanna?" Paris asked as he and his lover stepped into their new apartment, a few buildings down the street from the apartment of Harry and Annika Kim.

"Not bad, flyboy," she said. "Not a bat'leth in sight."

"Try out the sofa," Paris suggested, reaching into his pocket. "See if it's soft enough for you." As Torres sat down, Paris pulled a small box from his pocket.

"Not bad," Torres said, then noticed Paris kneeling in front of her.

"B'Elanna," Paris said, "I've been trying to get myself to say this for months. Will you marry me?" Paris opened the box, which held a silver ring with a fine-cut diamond stone.

******************************************************************

In orbit, lieutenants Joe Carey, Megan Delaney and Pablo Baytart, as well as Ensign Marla Gilmore, entered Chakotay's Ready Room.

"Ah, good," Chakotay said. "The four of you have all been recommended for top positions." The four looked at one another, surprised. "Carey," Chakotay continued, "B'Elanna wanted you to be the next Chief Engineer. Delaney, Harry and Seven felt you would do well in charge of Astrometrics. Baytart, Tom said you were the second-best pilot on the ship. I guess that makes you the best, now. And finally, Gilmore. Harry said you're better-suited to the Ops position than he was when he took the job. I agree with all of their recommendations. You four have the jobs. Congratulations. Now get back to work; we've been assigned to study the Dyson's Sphere the Enterprise discovered a few years ago as soon as all the scientific teams are off the ship."

 

end
Feedback is my friend!

Series this work belongs to: