Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,615
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
534

Sworn Vengeance

Summary:

none listed

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Sworn Vengeance
By Baby Loly

 

F.B.I agent Theresa Miller sat down at her table. At 28 years of age, she was one of the bureaus top agents. A beautiful, natural red haired, she felt her job required a calmer appearance, so for the past few years, she dyed her hair a chestnut color. Her hazel eyes were shut and she was a bit shaken, as she reflected of the day's events. Although she had a five-year-old daughter, her figure was slender and well shaped. She hated skirts and dresses and chose to wear pants suits, like the blue one she just had on. Blue elegant pants a white silk blouse and a blue jacket. She looked around her office. It was well organized and comfortable. A small mahogany desk, that caught most of the space, a photo of her daughter next to the phone, and a pile of papers she was supposed to go through. She had just finished typing her report on the latest assignment and it was sitting in a folder in front of her. She looked at the picture by the phone and was thinking of her daughter whom she hadn't seen in over a week, then facing her computer screen, a decision she'd been putting off for a long time that had finally been reached.

Turning her computer on, she started typing.

"To whom it may concern,

I Theresa A. Miller, present my resignation from the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

I hereby give you my two weeks notice.

Best Regards
Agent Theresa Miller"

Just as she was about to send the letter, someone stepped into her office. "What is it John?" she asked her partner.

John was a handsome man. Taller then most men, he had blond hair and blue eyes. He was a former New York police officer, who lost his wife and two daughters in a car bomb the was meant for him, over 10 years ago. After almost a year of being haunted by the memories and after a successful co-operation with the FBI on a big case, he was offered to join them in Washington. Having no other family and anxious to leave New York, he agreed and has been with the bureau for almost nine years now. He looked at Theresa. He suddenly realized how tired she looks.

"What are you doing here all alone?" he asked cheerfully. "Come join everyone in the meeting room. We're celebrating the fall of a man we've been after for over a year now. Mostly thanks to you. Everyone wants to raise a glass in your honor."

"I can't," she answered.

"Why is that?" wondered her partner.

"Because I need to go home and see my daughter. I haven't seen her in over a week. Besides I'm not " she trailed off. She just couldn't finish her sentence.

"What is it?" asked John in concern, moving around the table to get closer to her. He then saw the words on the screen. "You're quitting?" he asked amazed, a cold fist closing around his heart. "You can't do that Theresa. We need you. I need you. You are one of the best agents we have. Look at what you've accomplished."

"The only thing I have accomplished is putting my daughters father behind bars. Not that he didn't deserve it. Unfortunately, not for a long enough period. With his lawyers he'll probably make a deal and be out in ten years or less."

"Look, we all know how that SOB treated you. I thought you'd be pleased to see him locked up. Even if he does manage to make a deal. He's out of your life and your daughter's. There is no way he can hurt either one of you again. Come on, join us for a toast and we can carry on this conversation later. As for now," he said deleting the letter on the screen, "You are not going anywhere. Give it a few days. Don't make any rash decisions."

Theresa smiled faintly at him, "Okay," she said, allowing him to take her hand and pull her out of the chair, then she followed him into the meeting room where her boss and the rest of her team were.

"There she is. Finally the true hero of the day," said her boss.

Theresa smiled a little and took the glass of champagne offered to her. "Thank you all," she said, "but it wasn't just me. Each and every person in this room made a difference, and I couldn't have done it without you guys." Theresa raised her glass and made a toast. "To good friends and the damn good job we've done."

"Hear hear," said everybody and all glasses were raised and then emptied. Theresa mingled around the room talking to the other agents. After about half an hour, she decided it was time to go home. As she was heading for the door, her boss Alec Nicholas grabbed a hold of her hand. "I have an announcement to make," he said.

"Our esteemed head of department, Alexander Kayhill, is retiring as of today, he needs the rest. It is my immense pleasure to tell you that in the most deserved promotion since my own, the new head will be our very own Theresa! Congratulations my dear, you deserve it."

"Speech, speech," called out all the people in the room.

Theresa was speechless. She stared at everyone in the room then looked at her boss. "Does that mean less field work?" she asked.

"Probably. You will still have to supervise some missions but yes, it's mostly a desk job. From our last conversation, I assumed that's what you wanted," said Alec.

"It is," she said. "I was actually just writing my resignation before John came and dragged me out here. I can't thank you enough Alec. This is great, and I am honored that you chose me as the new head. But if you guys will excuse me, I have a little girl at home that I need to go see right now. I know you all want to celebrate our victorious day," she said looking around the room, "But I haven't seen my little girl in over a week, So I'm sure you'll all understand if I leave now."

She shook several hands and accepted a few congratulations before she finally managed to leave. Minutes later, she was in her car headed home.

+++

"Abigail Miller, you get back here right now and clean this mess," called Mrs. Jones the housekeeper.

"No," came the little girl's reply, then she started crying.

"Abigail honey, what is it?" asked the elderly lady.

"I want my mommy," mumbled the 5-year-old child.

"I know you do sweetie, but that doesn't mean you can just get angry and throw things around. I thought I taught you better then that."

Abigail Miller was, like her mother, a natural red head. But she inherited he fathers eyes. Big green jades the sparkled and lit her face, especially when she smiled. Her pale complexion made her look like a china doll. Mostly The little red haired girl was a sweet and calm child. But unfortunately, she had suffered a lot in her short life. Her father was a violent man and when she and her mother still lived with him, he had hit her constantly. No matter what she did or didn't do, or the fact she was still a baby, he took it out on her. Although for nearly three years she hasn't seen him, the fear and distrust were still there. Ever since Theresa hired Mrs. Jones as their housekeeper two years ago, Abi's confidence built up a little, and she had grown to be a very smart intuitive child, but also a very lonely one. With hardly any friends at school, and with her mother being away so much, she was mostly by herself.

Ruth was an elderly lady, over 50 years old. She was a widow with grown children and her kindness made Theresa feel she would be a good influence on Abi. Her hair was turning gray and she wasn't really a suitable companion for a five-years-old child. Her gray eyes were sank in their holes with worry; since she had just found out her brother had fallen sick and was no longer able to care for himself. Being the only family he has, she promised she would come to care for him. She felt sorry for Abi when she first met her so she did all she could to help the child feel loved and cared for.

"I'm sorry," said Abigail.

"Ok, lets go back into the kitchen and clean the mess together," said Mrs. Jones.

Abi put her little hand in the housekeeper's palm and they entered the kitchen. A few minutes later the spaghetti Abi threw on the floor was picked up and the floor was wiped clean. Then the two of them heard a key turn in the door and Abigail jumped up and down in joy, "Mommy's here," she said running out to meet her mother at the door.

Theresa hoped to surprise her little girl but as soon as she walked in the door, Abigail was jumping up and down again, "Mommy, mommy," she called out happy to have her mother back home after so long.

"Hi my precious," said Theresa softly. She bent on one knee and embraced her daughter close to her heart. "How is my special girl?" he asked. "Have you been a good little girl?"

Abigail hesitated, but Mrs. Jones who came right behind her said, "Oh she was extra good this week. Gave me no trouble at all."

The little girl looked back at the older woman with a smile of gratitude and joy on her face.

"Well in that case I have a very special friend I want you to meet," announced her mother.

"A special friend?" wondered the little girl.

"Yes. Very special. But before you meet him I want you to promise me something. You have to promise you will take very good care of this friend."

"Yes mommy. I promise."

Theresa giggled. She reached back and when her hand moved forward, Abigail saw a little box. Sounds came from inside the box and the little girl held on to her mother a little frightened. "No need to be afraid dear. Open the box."

Abigail hesitantly opened it and what she saw pleased her very much. A little puppy was inside the box, only two months old. She picked it out of the box and held it tight to her little figure. She was overwhelmed with joy and all she managed was to give her mom a big hug.

"So what shall we name him?" asked her mother.

It was a Dalmatian, white with black spots. "Giraffe," answered Abigail.

"Giraffe? Are you sure honey?" She asked looking at Mr. Jones with horror written all over her face, but how do you tell a five-year-old, that Giraffe really isn't the best name for a Dalmatian?

"Yes. Come on Giraffe, I'll show you your new home," cheered the girl. Followed by the puppy, she went through the house introducing him to his new home. Theresa looked at Mrs. Jones again and sighed in resignation. She really couldn't deny he angel anything, especially something as unimportant as a pup's name. "Mrs. Miller I need to talk to you," said the housekeeper.

"I'm really tired Ruth. Can't it wait for a while?"

"I'm afraid not. The sooner I tell you the better. I'm sorry to do this to you, but I have to leave."

"Leave?" asked Theresa. "For a few days or ?"

"I have to quit," answered Ruth.

"Why?"

"My brother had a stroke. He has no one to care for him, and he cannot afford a full time nurse. I promised him that if he ever needed me I'd be there for him. He needs me now, and I need to leave as soon as possible."

"Oh god," moaned Theresa. "That is the last thing I need right now, to look for a new housekeeper, but of course you must go. I'll be home for a few days, I guess I'll have to start looking right away."

"Then if it is okay with you, I would like to leave by the end of the week," said Ruth.

"If you need to leave sooner Ruth, that's all right with me. I mean family comes first. You don't have to feel obligated to stay if you can not. I certainly understand."

"If you are really sure you won't need me a few extra days, then I would really like to leave as soon as tomorrow morning."

"Of course Ruth. I hope your brother gets better soon," said Theresa. "Where does he live?" she suddenly asked.

"Not very far from here. Just outside the city. A small town, the kind where everybody knows everybody," answered the housekeeper.

"How long is it to drive there from the city?"

"About forty maybe forty five minutes."

"Is there a good school there?" wondered Theresa.

"A very good school. My children went there. One of them is a lawyer and the other an accountant. So yes, the school is great," answered Ruth.

"You must have some good friends there. Can you do something for me?"

"I guess so."

"I've been wanting to get Abi away from the city for a long time. Can you call one of your friends and check if there is a house for sale, or even for lease up there?"

"I'd be happy to help. I'll call a good friend right away," said Ruth, picking up the phone and doing just that. After a few minutes she hung up and said, " I have a friend who works for a real estate
agency, and she said she has a house to sell that would be perfect for a mother and her child."

"That's wonderful," said Theresa. "How about Abi and I drive with you there tomorrow and go see this house?"

"That would be great. I know the house; it's not very far from where my brother lives. And there are some wonderful women who would love a job, so I doubt you'll have a problem finding another housekeeper."

"Good, then it's settled. Abi honey can you come here a minute?" she called out to her daughter.

"Yes mommy."

"How would you like to go on a little trip tomorrow? Mrs. Jones has to go stay with her brother and I was thinking that maybe we could move up there so you wouldn't miss her too much. And I was also thinking of getting us a new house with a back yard where you can play with Giraffe."

"Yes mommy. But don't I have to go to school tomorrow?"

"I decided we can play hooky for one day."

"Okay. You hear that Giraffe, Mommy is gonna buy us a big house with a back yard and maybe a pool so we can play together."

Theresa laughed at what her daughter said. "I guess it's settled then. We'll be leaving early to avoid the rush hour traffic. Ok?" she asked Ruth.

"No problem. How about some dinner now?"

"I'd love some, I'm starved."

Dinner was happy and cheerful, mostly because of Abigail's excitement. Soon after Theresa bathed her little girl and tucked her in bed. "Good night my precious," she said, kissing the little
forehead.

Outside she met Ruth. "I'm off to take a shower and crash into bed. I'll see you in the morning," she said. "Good night."

"Good night," answered Mrs. Jones heading to her room to pack up her belongings.

END PART 1

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Babyloly.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.