Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
545
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
15
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
883

The art of writing

Summary:

The art of writing isn't always about putting the word on the page.

Work Text:

The art of writing
by Andrew Leon

The art of writing isn't always about putting the word on the page. It's sometimes more about thought process than anything else. I've come up with more ideas simply strolling through my brainless day han I have sitting at this drone of a computer. I sit here and encircle my brain, keeping it hostage for the segment of time I work on my story, but my brain rebels and offers no goods. Once freed while I'm at play or beyond the freedom of excitement, my mind begins to wander and finds various doors which open to new ideas. The only bad part about this, of course, is that I hardly have any paper at the time. Isn't it ironic, and surely a sign of how limited creativity can be at times, that the most abundant flow times are often during the times of the least outside resources in which to record theses random bits of creativity. I try to keep a piece of paper in my wallet, seemingly to record the greater portion of these thoughts, but am always stalemated by the lack of writing utensils. My wallet just doesn't have the capacity to carry a tool of much size for this use. I even thought about getting a small pencil, but always worried that I might break it and thus have its existence inside my wallet be in vain.

*****

The mind's an intricate engine, being able to fully grasp even the most complicated formulas and information. When dealing with Film making, one of the most essential things the director must keep in mind is that audience don't always record everything in their conscious mind. Certain camera movements as well as the placement, or blocking, of the performers can put an totally an idea inside the head of the viewer that maybe unknown to even them. When writing some of my scenes in my novel, I found that since I wanted to create mood, it's easier to use individual words that convey that mood either through their literal meaning, like dreamy, or through the taint the word though the word may have the opposite meaning, like condone, has in the mind of the reader. The word condone to me has always had a taint of being that one disapproves of something rather than approves of it, like the literal meaning goes. Words that sound very dark, like "the dark red bed" or "the dead bed", will leave a subconscious mark of darkness in the mind of the reader when they are reading that scene. That's one thing that's always been really interesting to me, knowing that sometimes it's much easier to describe things, inanimate objects and such with words that convey whatever mood I want to create.

Also, and I just learned this, the way the dialogue was written has equal psychological connotations in it. I never really thought about this, seeking only to write it the best I could. The "...." that some writers use can mean that there's something more to the situation, like the speaker is still thinking or having some sort of inner trouble or conflict.

=30=

Comments can now be fired at will.