Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
771
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
16
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
811

Miracle

Summary:

answer to miracle prompt over at Aphrodite's Blessings on lj -- sequel to The Goddess of All Things

Work Text:

Dave sat forward on his couch. “Come on, Ramirez, it’s the bottom of the fourteenth. You can send all the fans home happy with one swing of the bat.”

He watched avidly for a few minutes before his shoulders slumped. He dropped his head and shook it. He unconsciously clenched his hands into fists. “What were you swinging at? That breaking ball was in the dirt.”

The doorbell rang and Dave was happy enough to leave the Natural Light commercial. On top of Ramirez striking out, he didn’t need to see ads for the worst beer he’d ever tasted. He reached for his wallet as he opened the door. He stopped short. “Derek,” he said in surprise.

Derek held a bottle of wine in one hand and a pizza box in the other. He smiled sheepishly. “Hey.”

“Hey.”

Derek licked his lips nervously. “I caught your pizza guy on my way in and took care of it.”

Dave tilted his head and simply stared at Derek. “Thanks.”

Derek shifted his weight from one foot to the other. He looked at Dave with hopeful puppy dog eyes. “Well, can I come in?”

Dave stepped to the side. “Sure.” He closed the door and followed Derek into the front room. He watched Derek set the pizza and wine on the coffee table. Derek kept his back to him and he noted Derek’s tense shoulders.

Derek nodded to the TV. “Top of the fifteenth. Wood better not give Pujols anything good to hit.”

Dave released the breath he didn’t realize he’d been holding. “Yeah. I’m afraid he’s three for five already tonight with a homerun.”

“I saw that. At least it was a solo shot.”

Dave rolled his eyes at himself but asked, “Since you’re here, you want some pizza?”

The tension seemed to drain from Derek’s shoulders. “Yeah. What did you get?”

Dave walked into the kitchen for plates and glasses. “Ham and pineapple,” he answered in an off-hand way. He came back in to find Derek sitting in the middle of the couch. He wasn’t quite sure how to interpret the way Derek was looking at him. “What?”

One end of Derek’s mouth quirked up. “Those are my favorite toppings.”

Before he could think about it, Dave sat next to Derek instead of in the armchair. He grunted. “Well, I guess you rubbed off on me.”

Derek smiled and opened the box. “Pujols walked and then Holliday popped it up on the infield. All Wood has to do is get Berkman to hit into a double play.”

Dave didn’t react when Derek leaned slightly into him. He frowned and kept his eyes on the TV. “That’s easier said than done. Berkman’s been swinging a hot bat.”

Derek had the box open but didn’t take any of the pizza. “I knew Berkman wasn’t done after last year. He’s just too good of a hitter and his knees are better. I wish we would’ve taken a one year chance on him.”

Dave winced when he saw Berkman’s swing and heard the crack of the bat. “There’s no doubt on that one.”

“Wood should stick with the heater. Did you see that breaking ball? It didn’t move.”

“It’s only two. We can catch up.”

“Fucking Cardinals,” Derek muttered.

They watched the rest of the game which ended in an unfortunate Cubs loss. Neither of them touched any of the food. They sat with their knees touching.

Dave pointed the remote at the TV and turned it off. He turned his head to see Derek’s profile. “What are you really doing here, Derek?” he asked quietly.

Derek took a deep breath and faced Dave. “I miss you,” he answered in a voice barely above a whisper. “I miss us.”

Dave sighed heavily. “I told you. I can’t do the casual thing anymore. I’m sorry I broke our agreement but I’ve had my fill of all that.”

“So have I.”

“You may be able to lie to yourself Derek, but you can’t lie to me.”

Derek grabbed Dave’s arm before Dave could stand. “I’m not.”

The conviction in Derek’s voice startled Dave. It took a moment for him to register the fact that Derek was leaning in close. Then Derek’s lips touched his and heat flashed through him.

After thoroughly exploring Dave’s mouth, Derek broke the kiss with a gasp. He cupped the side of Dave’s neck and pressed their foreheads together. “I love you. I just wish that I realized it sooner.”

Dave teased Derek’s lower lip. “I love you too. God help us.”

Derek chuckled. “No. We owe thanks to the Goddess for this miracle.”