Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-09-09
Words:
6,976
Chapters:
4/4
Comments:
1
Kudos:
31
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
3,931

The Search For One's Self

Summary:

How do you react when you find out your family isn't your family? Well if you're Lucas you do some hacking. Turns out that Lucas did inherit his brains from his parents.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter One

Chapter Text

The Search for One's Self
Taylor Kane
Disclaimer: I do not own, etc.

Thanks to both my wonderful betas: Sara and Lori. Cheers.
Any mistakes left are purely my fault. Thanks Taylor K.

***********************************************************
Warning: This is AU and will eventually be a crossover with Stargate. It takes place in the SeaQuest timeframe (Season Two). I've just jumped Stargate (Season Five) a few years into the future. It suits my purposes.
***********************************************************

Flashback:
It wasn't what he had expected. Hell, when he had received the beckons from his father's secretary, he had assumed it was another 'parade the genius' occasion. Like a good boy he had gone. Well... perhaps there was a little arguing... with the Captain.

It seems that Miss Secretary had been busy. The Captain had been fully informed of the travel orders and had the shuttle waiting. No amount of arguing with the Captain could convince Lucas that his father really wanted to see him.

When had he ever?

Lucas couldn't recall even one memory where his father had willingly and voluntarily spent time with him, not even upon the destruction of the first SeaQuest.
Oh... of course there had been the 'public father/son moment' that was obligatory.

The Captain had been assured that Lucas was in good hands and Lucas had been assured that there would be another SeaQuest and that he would be welcome on it. Goodbyes were said and off he went with his father.

Ten minutes later, his father had been on the phone with someone or another, discussing the repercussions of the incident, the possibility of it affecting phase three and their next move.

Lucas had been dropped at the airport with a babysitter and a plane ticket to New York where House Number Four was situated.

No, father and son moments were not their cup of tea...

From the shuttle, Lucas had hopped into the waiting limo, from there onto a plane and from the plane into another characterless, waiting limo. Finally, he had reached his father's New York Lab/Office, a total of four hours after he had left the SeaQuest.

To his surprise, Lucas had been ushered up to his father's office and had only been kept waiting forty minutes before his father appeared. Alone. No lackeys, no business partners, no fellow scientists. Utterly alone.

His father had proceeded to lecture him about expectations and such. Mind blurring stuff really.

It was the part about truth and his mother, which finally caught Lucas' attention. Lawrence told Lucas that his mother couldn't have children. Lucas had thought that his presence alone could dispute this fact.
It was further explained that IVF and surrogacy had not been an option. His father had not gone into the reasoning.

Apparently, Dr. Wolenczak had been determined to acquire the child that Mrs. Wolenczak had always wanted... for her mental state or something.
Adoption had been the only possible method. And there Lucas was... Oh, it had taken some arranging. Courts and hospitals bribed, etc. But eventually, Mrs. Wolenczak had the child she wanted and Dr. Wolenczak had the heir he needed... er, son he wanted. It had turned out all right... the Wolenczak line had gotten an intelligent child to carry on the name. And things were fine exactly where they stood... until now.

The only reason Lucas had been told about his adoption was because Dr. Wolenczak was getting remarried and the new Mrs. Wolenczak was already on her way to producing an heir. Therefore, Lucas was no longer needed.

For propriety's sake, Lucas would keep the Wolenczak name and of course, he would be financially sound. But Lucas would have to understand he was no longer the heir apparent and would be expected to fade from the public eye. It would not do for the public to be reminded about the 'eldest Wolenczak child'.

Lucas had sat there listening to the tirade. That's exactly what it had been... a tirade. He hadn't wanted to sit there listening any more. He had walked out of the office and ignored Dr. Wolenczak's shouts and had taken the lift down to the lobby. From there he climbed into a taxi, went back to the airport and finally to the Meladon Port, where the SeaQuest shuttle had spent the day collecting supplies for the SeaQuest.

The shuttle pilot had not been expecting Lucas to return, but had no problems letting Lucas hitch a ride back to the SeaQuest.

The SeaQuest: safety, haven, home. The only place Lucas ever truly felt at peace.
It was here in his room, where he finally allowed himself to contemplate the encounter with his 'father'.

Adopted? Definitely not what he had expected when he had received the beckons from Miss Secretary.

Present:
"Knock, knock," came the voice from the other side of the door.

"Come in, Captain." Lucas invited.

The door opened and Captain Bridger walked in wearing the formal UEO uniform. Upon seeing Lucas' glance, Bridger explained, "We had a surprise visiting dignitary today, some cousin of Admiral Jones. Now would you like to explain to me why you're back, not only six days early, but on the same day you left? I thought we had agreed you would give your father a chance."

"I did," returned Lucas. "We need to talk!"

 

.....to be continued.....
_____________________________________

 

tk_ane@hotmail.com