Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,781
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
4
Kudos:
23
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
1,779

Staying on the Cart Path

Summary:

It's Tony's birthday, but does that 'special someone' care enough to tell him 'Happy Birthday? ((Tibbs pre-Slash)).

Work Text:

It was a decision made by him. 

He didn't want a birthday party this year. 

He didn't need one. 

He was going to be 42 years old, so what should anyone else care what he did for that day? 

It was going to be the same as it was the year before:  ‘happy birthdays' casually mentioned by Ziva & McGee; a birthday hug and kiss from Abby; a birthday congrats & handshake from Ducky; another ‘happy birthday' and high-five from Palmer; and, a gruff ‘happy birthday' from Gibbs (but only after Abby prompted him to say it). 

Waking up that morning, he didn't want to get out of bed.  It was more of a hassle to even move his body at that point.  He would have rather ‘called in sick' than decided to make up an excuse for being late that day.  He groaned loudly, when he thought of the idea of moving to grab his cell phone, and at that moment, it wasn't going to happen.  No one could move him… not even that special someone.  Oh, it was so cliché… that ‘special someone' wasn't even on his radar… or, ‘gaydar' for that matter.

‘What should I care anymore?' he thought to himself.  ‘No one is ‘that' concerned about me… are they?'

Finally mustering up enough courage to get up, Tony moved slowly into the bathroom and started the shower, allowing the water to gradually warm up to his liking.  As he removed his clothes, he looked at himself in the mirror and sighed tiredly.

"Another year old, DiNozzo…" he said to himself.  "It's just another year… you'll get through this… just breathe… just remember to breathe…"

XxxxxxXxxxxxX


Time passes…

At the Navy Yard, things were different.  Abby bopped around the bullpen, swiftly putting birthday decorations on her favorite ‘brother's desk, as Ziva & McGee arrived for their day of work. 

"Abby…" McGee stated, as he set his backpack down at his desk.  "You okay?"

"It's Tony's special day, Timmy…" the lab Goth responded.  "We should all help him celebrate…"

"Abs, I understand that you want Tony to have a great day, but are you sure that he wants ‘all' of this?"

"How could he not?"

"She has a point there, McGee…" Ziva chimed in.  "Abby, I think he'll love it… where is Tony by the way?"

"Late…" Gibbs piped up, as he entered the bullpen, fresh coffee in hand.  "As usual... somebody call him and see where he is…"

"On it, Boss…" McGee replied, as he swiftly dialed his friend's phone number.

After a couple of rings, he finally got an answer…

"What do you want, Probie?"  A familiar voice retorted.

"Umm… morning, Tony…" Tim answered.  "Where are you?"

"In hell…"

"What?"

"Nevermind…"

As the elevator doors pinged open, Tony emerged, carrying his knapsack and wearing a brand-new suit… a ‘birthday gift'… to himself… like every year.  Approaching his desk, he saw the streamers & ‘happy birthday' signs, which made his heart flutter and a breath catch in his chest.  Tears started to form in his eyes, but he couldn't let them see him cry… especially Gibbs.

"Tony, Tony, Tony!"  Abby announced, jumping into his arms, pulling close & tight to herself.  "Happy birthday!  Happy birthday!!"

"Oh my God, Abs…" He responded, holding her close.  "Thank you…"

"You're welcome… do you like your decorations?"

"Yeah, and I'll like them even more, if you let me breath… I'm starting to see spots instead of streamers…"

As soon as Abby let him go, Tony took in a deep breath, while trying to keep his composure.  She smoothed out his suit, admiring it as she stepped back.

"Lookin' good, Tones…" She stated lightly with a wink & a smile.

"Thanks, Abs…" He replied, kissing her cheek tenderly.

"Back to work, everyone!"  Gibbs spoke up, interrupting everyone.

"I'll talk to you later…" the lab Goth whispered.

"Alright…" the senior field agent responded just as quiet.

Abby left the bullpen and went back to work, while Tony put his bag in its usual spot.  Sitting his chair behind his desk and getting to work quickly, he anticipated the Bossman's usual scold, "You're late, DiNozzo", followed by his common, everyday head-slap.  It was the usual… it was ‘their' usual.  As always, Gibbs strolled over to his desk and stood before him scowling angrily.

"I know, Boss… I know…" Tony started.  "I'm late… please be gentle…"

The senior field agent assumed the position and turned with his back to the Marine, but nothing came.  He turned back to see Gibbs back at his desk, working on something. 

‘What just happened here?' Tony thought.  ‘Why didn't he headslap me?'

Ziva and McGee noticed this action as well and were equally dumbfounded. 
‘What does this mean?' the senior field agent wondered to himself.  ‘Is there something going on that I don't know about?'

Ignoring his inner contemplations, he got up from his desk, and headed to the back elevator.  Pressing the ‘down' button and stepping inside, he found himself pushing the button to take him the one of the lower levels of HQ.  He needed someone to talk to… he needed someone wise & understanding.  He needed Ducky.  He needed Ducky S.T.A.T.

XxxxxxXxxxxxX


He heard the soft sounds of an orchestra playing the moment he exited the elevator, but when he entered the morgue, he heard the smooth voice of one of his favorite singers, which made him smile.  He found Dr. Mallard sitting at his desk, reading some files from one of his latest cases.

"Frank Sinatra?"  Tony wondered aloud.

"Oh, Anthony, my boy…" the M.E. responded, turning to see the young man with a
surprised smile.  "How are you?  Come on over & sit down…"

"I'm fine, Duck… what's with the music?"

"I had a strong feeling that I'd see you sometime today... and, I knew you liked ‘Ol' Blue Eyes'…"

"And, you don't?"

"No, I love Sinatra… he's, as Abigail would say, one of my ‘guilty pleasures'…"

"You have guilty pleasures?"

"Oh, sure… who doesn't?  I just never had a chance to indulge in mine, when Mother was alive…"

"Not a Sinatra fan, I'm guessing…"

"Oh, not at all… she liked Dean Martin… but that's not my point.  The point is:  now that she's gone, I can go about trying out some of my wildest dreams & fantasies… if I have to start with my music choices, so be it…"

"Wish I could say that same for me…"

"Why can't you?  Not having a good birthday today?"

"Not as much… the only people who told me ‘happy birthday' today were my old neighbor lady, Mrs. Kleinwort and her home-care nurse Lulu; Abby, of course; and, now, you, I guess.  Thanks by the way…"

"You're welcome…"

When the room became quiet, he could see the sadness in his young friend's face.  It made his heart hurt… no one at work but himself & Abby had told him ‘Happy Birthday' on his most special of days.  It was ridiculous… he only expected from one of the people in the bullpen, but not all three of them.

"This is horrible…" Ducky announced loudly.

"No, Ducky, it's okay…" the senior field agent answered solemnly. 

"No… no, it's not okay, Anthony… a birthday is something to be celebrated, no matter how old the person is, and as an elder statesman, who's already hit the milestone you are at now, ‘Happy Birthday' shouldn't be hard for anyone to say…"

Suddenly, the morgue doors opened, alerting both men to the person entering it.

"Morning, Dr. Mallard…" Jimmy's cheery voice stated.  "Morning, Tony… I'm surprised to see you down here… ‘Happy Birthday' by the way…"

Unexpectedly, the young man handed the agent a wrapped package with a rather opulent bow.

"What's this, Palmer?"  Tony wondered confused by the bundle.
"It's a gift, Tony…" the autopsy gremlin responded with a smile.  "From Breena & me… ‘Happy birthday'… hope you like it…"

Opening it swiftly, the older man immediately noticed what was inside and a look of shock ran across his face.  In his hands were four DVDs that he had wanted for a while.

"The 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition of ‘Meet John Doe'… god, I love Gary Cooper…" He spoke up, reading the titles aloud to the two other people in the room.  "‘Rope'… one of Hitchcock's best film & Jimmy Stewart is supposing good in it; ‘The Woman in Red'… Barbara Stanwyck at her best as always; ‘Ride the High Country'… a Peckinpah classic; and, last but certainly not least ‘Dawn Patrol'… Errol Flynn & fighter planes, what's better than that, I ask you?  Thanks, Palmer.  This is… this is… it's amazing."

Out of the blue, Tony stood up, set the DVDs on his chair and hugged the soon-to-be medical examiner, which the younger man easily reciprocated, before they let one another go.

"Thanks, Jimmy…" the senior field agent stated yet again.  "Thanks for being a great friend…"

"Oh, Tony, you're welcome…" the other man answered.  "Thanks for being my friend also… happy birthday, man…"

Grabbing his gifts, Tony found his way back into the elevator.  He had totally forgotten what he went downstairs to talk to Ducky about in the first place.  But, there was still time. 

They had time…

XxxxxxXxxxxxX


As soon as Tony was headed back upstairs to god-knows-where, Ducky quickly got on his phone and dialed a number, getting the receiver quickly, "Abigail… it's Ducky…yes, I know… now, be quiet and listen to me for a moment… this morning, when you were upstairs, did you hear anyone else say ‘Happy Birthday' to Tony?  Oh, I anticipated so much more out of them… look, I have an idea to get your senior field agent back into the birthday spirit… is there a favorite game that he likes to play, when you two party with one another?  There is?  Well, splendid… Mr. Palmer & I are on our way up for you to explain it to us… yes, see you in a moment."

Upon hanging up, the medical examiner turned to his young assistant, and announced, "Jimmy, you and I have a date with Abigail in the forensics lab right at this moment…"

"For what reason, Doctor?"  The young man questioned.

"We have a birthday party to help plan… a surprise one…"

Both men smiled at one another, before moving swiftly to the elevator to head to their next destination.

TBC??