Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
519
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
866

Sweet Slumber

Summary:

Inability to sleep leads Kowalski to sharing a tender moment with his beloved Rico.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Sweet Slumber
by Pirate Turner

 

 

        Kowalski gave a soft sigh as he leaned over his bunk and watched the love of his life as he slept peacefully, for a rare change. He knew Rico often suffered from nightmares, but for some reason Kowalski was grateful for, his love slept peacefully tonight while he himself was having trouble attaining the sweetness of slumber for the myriad of thoughts running through his brain. That was the only true problem with being a genius. When creativity reared its head, it was next to impossible to get the thoughts to cease or, at least, quiet long enough to allow anything else, let alone sleep.

        Rico stirred in his sleep, his beak opening in an undecipherable, quacking sound, and Kowalski's eyes drifted to the brow of his love. He was beginning to seem troubled now, and he dropped down from his own bunk to curl up next to his side. He reached out with a flipper and gently stroked Rico's scar. He stilled the moment he touched him.

        A tingle spread through Kowalski's flipper where he had touched Rico throughout his entire being, pouring molten lava and the feeling of soaring through the stars through his every inch and filling his very core. He trembled inside and touched him again. Soon he was petting him, and Rico made a sound akin to a kitten's purr as he curled up beside him.

        Skipper suddenly snored from one of the other bunks in their cabin, and Rico's eyes peered open. "It's okay," Kowalski whispered reassuringly. "It's just Skipper." He once more stroked his scar and wondered about it for the thousandth time. Rico rarely spoke, and when he did talk, he never mentioned the horrors that he had suffered that had left him with that scar. Was that terrible tragedy what haunted his dreams so frequently?

        Rico grunted his name, and Kowalski nodded. "Yes, my love, I am here, and we are safe." He gingerly stroked his scar once more. "Does that ever hurt?"

        "No," Rico murmured. "Good."

        Kowalski's gentle smile filled his feathery face. "I am glad that my touches feel good to you, dear friend."

        Rico's eyes met his, and in the darkness, they shimmered. Kowalski was both stirred and worried by the silent tears he saw glistening within his sweet mate's dark orbs. "Ugly."

        "No! Never!" he softly cried, stroking him again. "To me, you are, and shall forever remain, beautiful!" Rico smiled, and Kowalski felt the tenseness ease out of his beloved as he placed a soft kiss upon his scar. Rico's eyes were beginning to close even as he gingerly touched his beak to his.

        Rico's eyes reopened for a mere heartbeat of time, and his smile grew, filling his face and lighting up Kowalski's entire world despite the darkness of the still night. Rico snuggled into Kowalski's flippers, and Kowalski held him, smiling and gazing upon his beauty, as he slept. No slumber had ever been sweeter than that which they shared that night, and both penguins would forever hold that tender, loving moment close to their hearts.

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.