Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 20 of The TOC Files
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
10,260
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
718

Stream of Time

Summary:

Alan and Ryan decide to take their brother on a special trip for his birthday to Hamburg Germany in the early 1960s

Work Text:

While floating down the stream of time
From life to life with me
Makes no difference where you are
Or where you'd like to be
George Harrison "It's All Too Much"

Shannon Flynn smiled as she thought of two of her best friends immersing themselves in the music and culture of the 1960's. What made it so amusing was that they hadn't been born until 400 years later! She still found it amazing that the music of the time--especially the Beatles--was still going strong in the 24th century. Shannon had become a fan of the music through her older siblings playing them when she was a child in Ireland. Through a strange quirk of fate, she met Alan Kelly, a time traveler, and returned with him to the future where she now lived. She shook her head in bewilderment as she left them singing She's a Woman.

Alan looked at his brother Ryan. "Okay, she's gone. Let's go see Gil." Gilbert Connor was a childhood friend and inventor of their time traveling devices.

"Do we have to keep it a secret from Shane?" Ryan asked. "It doesn't feel right."

"That sounds strange coming from you considering a big chunk of your past was based on secrets. No, this is meant to be a birthday surprise for Evan and the less people who know, the better. Besides, she won't stay here, she'd want to join in."

"You can be so cruel," remarked Ryan with a smile. "I thought that was my area of expertise."

"Yeah, well, I learned it from you."

The Kelly brothers made their way to the lab. Gil looked up when he saw them. His hair was tousled and he looked like he was asleep on his feet. "You two could have given me more notice."

"What? It's not ready?" questioned Alan.

"Of course it's ready. But if you had given me more notice I could have slept more than two hours a night." He stifled a yawn.

Ryan laughed. "Sorry about that. Thanks for doing it, though."

"Let me show you how it works. From what I understand, you want to be able to follow someone by dropping in ever few years, right?"

"That's the plan," said Ryan.

"Okay. So the main problem is age. After all, you can't still look like you're in your twenties when you're supposed to look forty. What I've done is create a miniature hologram projector and hooked it up to the chronometer so it can monitor the year and react accordingly. When you arrive at your first destination, you program the desired age and, for every ensuing stop, it will automatically adjust your age."

"That sounds fabulous. Gil, you are an absolute genius," Alan told him.

"I know." Gil stifled another yawn. "All I ask is that you bring back autographs."

Ryan gave his brother a quick look then turned to Gil. "You know where we're going?"

"It wasn't too hard to guess. Why else would you be singing songs from over 400 years ago non-stop?"

"Wonderful. I guess we're lucky Shane hasn't put two and two together," Alan remarked. "Do you have a machine for Evan?"

* * * *

The following morning Alan and Ryan knocked on their older brother's door. When Evan opened it they cried, "Happy Birthday!" and Ryan handed him a small present.

"I thought presents were being given tonight at Mom's."

"Yeah, well, we couldn't wait," said Alan.

"Besides, it's only part of our present," Ryan added. "Go on, open it."

Evan did as he was asked and found himself holding a time machine. "Hey, this is just like yours. What's the deal?"

"As Ryan said, it's only part of the present. Now strap it on and we'll be on our way." As Evan strapped the machine onto his wrist, Alan tied a blindfold over his eyes.

"What's going on here? What kind of present is this?"

"It's a surprise," said Ryan. "Trust us, you'll love it." He punched in the coordinates on his machine and then on Evan's. "All set."

"Okay. Off we go."

When they arrived, Alan and Ryan activated the holograms. The machine automatically changed their clothes to chino slacks, bright button-down shirts, and black leather jackets. "We're there," said Ryan.

"Good, then take this damn blindfold off."

Alan was about to oblige when he saw the name of the building. "We will when we get inside. Just put your hand on Ryan's shoulder and he'll lead you."

They made their way into the crowded, noisy, smoke-filled club. They noticed that a large number of the crowd were from British and American ships in port. Alan removed the blindfold and Evan blinked a few times to get used to the light--what there was of it. "Some surprise. You brought me to a bar. And a dive, at that."

They found a table near the stage and Evan got a better look at his surroundings. It took him some time to figure out when they were as fashion had a tendency to repeat itself. The country was easier to guess thanks to the posters on the walls and the main language of the patrons. "Why 1960's Germany?"

"You'll see," answered Ryan.

"And why do you look like you're twenty?"

Alan's only answer was a smile.

The crowd cheered when the band--a group of five--came onto the stage. They were dressed in black leather and their hair was slicked back a la Elvis. They seemed to be a favorite with the crowd. They launched into Rock and Roll Music. Evan was in shock. "It's the Beatles," he said in awe. "You brought me here to see the Beatles."

"Happy Birthday, Evan," said Ryan as he toasted his brother with his beer.

"This is marvelous! How long have you planned this?"

"A couple of weeks," answered Alan. "From the look on your face, I'd say we planned well."

Evan turned his eyes back to the stage. He noticed the bass player wore dark glasses and never faced the front. "That's Stu Sutcliffe. He could barely play, but joined because he was a friend of John's. And the drummer! That's Pete Best! He joined because they desperately needed a drummer and he had his own set."

"We know their history as well, Evan. You don't need to give a lecture," said Alan.

"Sorry, I just got carried away."

"Don't talk, listen," admonished Ryan.

* * * *

They stayed the night at a hostel and slept late--a luxury rarely indulged in. They changed into jeans and T-shirts but kept the leather jackets then went out and strolled the streets of Hamburg. They marveled at how inexpensive everything was. As they finished a quick meal, Ryan checked his watch and looked at Alan, who nodded. They paid and headed for the docks.

"What's going on?" asked Evan. "Where are we going?"

"What makes you think that we're going anywhere in particular?" asked Ryan.

"You're walking at a deliberate pace and you're acting as if you know exactly where you're going."

"Never could put one over on you," remarked Alan. "There's a place on the docks that acts like a 'home away from home' for British sailors. Ryan and I stopped in a couple of times and discovered that they sometimes stop by in the morning to read, play the piano, and just relax."

"There it is," said Ryan as he stopped in front of an imposing four-story building.

"The British Sailors' Society? You can't be serious."

"We are very." Ryan held the door open and Evan and Alan stepped in. One room was set up like a cafeteria and, next to that, a bar.

Alan led the way through the bar to a room where there was an old piano. He sat down and tested it. "How 'bout a song?"

"Where are they? You said we'd meet them here."

"Be patient, Evan, for God's sake. This is nothing for someone who was stranded for ten years. They'll be here. Besides, what better way to become friends with musicians than through music?"

A hefty man came in from the bar. "I thought I saw you lads come in. How've you been?"

"Oh, just fine, Mr. Hawke," replied Ryan. "This is our brother Evan. Evan, this is Jim Hawke, the manager."

Jim shook his hand. "Didn't know you boys were into music."

"Just a hobby."

"Go ahead and play, then. It's always nice to hear some music. Let me know if you want anything." With that, he left them alone.

Alan warmed up on the piano. "Shall we start with a little harmony?" He played an introduction and the three brothers began to sing.

I bless the day I found you
I want to stay around you
And so I beg you
Let it be me


Don't take this Heaven from one
If you must cling to someone
Now and forever
Let it be me


They continued the song, their voices melding like only brothers' can. When they were done, they heard clapping and looked to the doorway where a group of youths stood. "You were great," said one with a baby face and round eyes. "Do you have a band?"

"No," answered Alan. "We just fool around with it."

"You guys are pretty good. We saw you last night at the Kaiserkeller," said Ryan. "I didn't recognize a couple of the songs, though."

"Some of them were our own," answered the same youth.

"Those were your own?" asked Evan. "I thought they were obscure covers."

"John and I have been writing together for about four years now," he said with a nod towards a serious-looking youth. "My name's Paul. That's George."

"I'm Alan, and these are my brothers Evan and Ryan."

"No wonder you harmonize like that," said John. "How well do you rock?" he challenged.

The brothers conferred at the piano and then Ryan sat on the bench. He played a few random chords to get warmed up then he began.

The best things in life are free
But you can keep them for the birds and bees
Now give me money
That's what I want


When they were done, John held out his hand in acceptance. George, the youngest, upon seeing John's approval, greeted them as well. They spent the next few hours playing and talking about music. They Kelly brothers even got to listen to John and Paul work out a few songs.

When they were leaving, John told them to come by the Kaiserkeller that night. "We'll introduce you to the others."

"Sure thing," said Evan. "What time?"

"Around 10:00," said Paul.

"Till tonight, then."

* * * *

Alan and his brothers passed the day by doing a little sightseeing and shopping. After a quick dinner, they changed clothes for a night out drinking and carousing. As it was still somewhat early, the Kaiserkeller wasn't too full and they were able to snag a table. Evan ordered a pitcher of beer and looked around the club for their new friends. "Looks like they're making good use of their break," he remarked.

"At least they can see us from the stage," said Ryan. "They won't think we stood them up."

Alan looked at his watch. "They should be going on soon. It's almost 10:00."

A few minutes later, the Beatles came out from a back room and the crowd went wild. George spotted them and gave a little wave before they launched into Kansas City. The crowd screamed in appreciation. The band's performance was fueled not only by beer and "Prellys", but also by the crowd screaming "Mak shau!"

"God, can you imagine performing like that for 41/2 to 6 hours?" questioned Ryan as he watched them jump around the stage, singing at the top of their lungs. It seemed that only Pete and Stu were immune. "I don't think I could last."

Evan nodded to a nearby table where a young woman dressed in black was tapping her fingers on the table. He hair was cropped short, and her features--what they could see from their angle--were very fine. "That's Astrid, Stu's girlfriend."

The band finished their set and joined the Kellys at their table. "Glad you could make it," said John, his voice rough.

"We said we would," said Ryan defensively.

"You sound like you didn't expect us to," remarked Alan. "Maybe you thought our singing was too much competition and you asked us just to be polite."

John stopped wiping the sweat from his face. "You sound sure of yourself. Sure, you can sing to an audience of three, but could you perform every night like we just did?"

"Maybe, if motivated," Alan answered with a smile.

John laughed, sat down, and poured himself a glass of beer.

Paul and George made the introductions. "These three gentlemen were at the Sailors' Society. They put on a little performance for us. Let me see if I can match the names to the faces." He pointed as he called out the names. "Alan, Evan, and...Ryan Kelly. This brooding lad here is Pete Best, and the one over there with the dark glasses is Stu Sutcliffe." Stu seemed to hear his name and turned to face them. With his black clothes, pale face, and dark glasses, Stu reminded Alan very much of James Dean. It probably was that mysterious air that attracted Astrid. He gave a little wave then Stu returned his gaze to Astrid.

"Not much of a talker, is he?" asked Ryan.

"Astrid gets his undivided attention when she's around," muttered John as he lit up a cigarette.

Seeing that things were touchy, Evan changed the subject. He nodded towards the stage and the band. "Who are they?"

"Rory Storm and the Hurricanes," answered George. "Another band from Liverpool."

"They're pretty good," remarked Evan.

"'Pretty good?' They're one of the best bands in Liverpool," said Paul.

"Oh, they can play, but they don't have the same rapport with the audience that you do." He looked up at the stage. "The drummer seems to go against their image, what, with the beard and sideburns."

"That's Ringo," said Pete with the tone of one who knew the competition.

"'Ringo'? What kind of name is that?" asked Ryan.

"Memorable," remarked Alan.

"His real name is Richard, but because he likes to wear rings, he goes by Ringo," explained George.

They talked more about music and soon it was time for the Beatles to re-take the stage. Astrid made her way to their table. "You are friends of theirs?"

"I'd like to think so," said Evan, rising to greet her. His brothers followed suit. "We only met them today. I'm Evan Kelly, by the way, and these are my brothers Ryan and Alan."

She sat down. "A pleasure. My name is Astrid Kirschner."

Alan noticed her camera. "You're a photographer?"

She smiled. "Yes. I am still studying, however."

"Of course. There are always new techniques and experimentation going on," agreed Alan. "I think it the same with most artistic fields."

"It gives me a way to express myself," said Astrid. "Just as Stuart has his painting and John and Paul have their songwriting."

On stage the band had finished a song and John was speaking. "We met some friends today who are pretty good singers. We invited them without thinking they'd show. One said we thought of them as competition. When I asked if he thought they could perform, he said, 'if motivated'."

"Now you've done it," remarked Evan.

"So let's motivate the Kelly brothers," said John pointing to where they sat. The crowd, curious to hear these new singers, applauded and cheered. The three brothers stood and walked to the stage.

"Trying to put me in my place?" Alan asked John.

"No, just resting my voice."

"All right, so what do we sing?" asked Ryan.

"Rave On by Buddy Holly," said Evan.

Instruments were traded and Alan took the lead. "Sorry about the delay. This was rather unexpected." He stepped back, looked at the musicians, counted to three, and then started.

Well, the little things you say and do
Make me want to be with you
Rave on, this crazy feeling
I know it's got me reeling
When you say 'I love you'
Rave on


The Beatles joined in singing the backing vocals. Alan felt such an adrenaline rush that he could understand why some people just had to perform. The crowd cheered when they were done. They prepared to leave and returned the instruments, but the Beatles invited them to stay and sing some more vocals. When the shift was over, they collapsed at their table.

"That was fun!" said Ryan.

"But exhausting," added Evan.

"It was great," admitted Alan, "but I don't think I could do it every night."

They stayed until a little after 2:00 when the Beatles finished their last session. Plans were made for them to roam the city the next day. They slept in, grabbed a quick breakfast, before meeting the others.

They had a great time but made their excuses for returning to England. "Yeah, we just need to go home and touch base with everyone," said Ryan.

"Plus we need to get a fresh supply of clothes," added Alan. "These are getting so worn and thin."

"Our contract runs through a few more months," said Paul, "so we won't be there for some time."

"We might make it back while you're here," said Evan. "If not here, maybe we'll catch you in Liverpool or London."

"You do that," said John. "Could be fun."

They shook hands and made their good-byes--the brothers taking extra time with Stu--then went their separate ways.

"You guys, this has been the best birthday present," declared Evan as Alan programmed his machine for him.

"This was just the appetizer," said Ryan. "You think we'd only let you see them once?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You'll see," said Alan as he motioned for Evan to push the button that would activate the machine.

* * * *

They arrived in a quiet neighborhood street and Evan looked around in surprise. Ryan checked the street signs and led the way down Grove End Road.
"Will you two tell me what's going on? Where are we?"

"London," answered Alan. "You ask too many questions. Don't you want to be surprised?"

"Sometimes I wonder." As they came to a bend in the road, a second road intersected and Evan saw the street sign and smiled. This quiet neighborhood would soon be a musical Mecca: Abbey Road. "What are we doing here now? They're probably in Liverpool."

"No, they're recording Love Me Do and P.S. I Love You today then head back to Liverpool to play the Cavern tomorrow night," answered Alan.

"And I think that's them coming out of the studio now," said Ryan.

The band that walked down the steps of E.M.I. Studios had changed from the one they had seen two years ago in Hamburg. For one thing, there were four instead of five members. Their hair had changed from the slicked-back to a more natural, though longer look, one the brothers recognized from the art crowd in Hamburg. They were also wearing suits and ties! Ryan crossed the street and, cupping his hands around his mouth, called, "Mak shau! Mak shau!"

George looked around but didn't see them. He thought he was hearing things for who in London knew what had been yelled at them in Germany?

Alan and Evan caught up with him. "Let me try," said Alan. "They're just running from the competition!" he called.

John heard that voice and knew who it was. He walked to the gateway and laughed when he saw them. "What are you doing here?"

"We should be asking you that," said Evan as he shook John's hand.

"We've got ourselves a recording contract," remarked Paul as he and the others came over.

"What are you recording?" asked Ryan. "Any songs we know?"

"I don't think so," answered John. He noticed the Kellys were trying not to stare at Ringo. He knew they needed explanations. "You remember Ringo from Hamburg. He was with the Hurricanes,"

"Oh, yeah, the band that rotated with you," said Alan. "What happened to Pete? And where's Stu?"

"This really isn't the best place to talk, in the street like this," said Evan. "Why don't we go somewhere we can sit down?"

"Let's go to our place," said Ryan. "It's not too far away."

"Our place?" questioned Evan.

"Our Uncle Gilbert left us his house in Kilburn and we're not really used to it yet," explained Alan as much as for Evan's benefit as that of the band.

The seven walked up Abbey Road and headed for Hillgrove Road and chatted about Hamburg and what happened after they left. Ringo was much more outgoing than Pete had been and had a very dry sense of humor and the Kellys took an immediate liking to him.

Ryan stopped in front of a three-story house with a seven-foot wall around it. The top two floors were red brick and the ground floor was painted white. Alan opened the gate and let the others in. Evan stopped. "When were you going to tell me about this?"

"We needed a base to work from, and since we'd only be here time-to-time, buying a house seemed more practical than renting."

"But why say it was part of an inheritance?"

"Because they think we're more the bohemian type. If they thought we were privileged, I doubt if they'd give us the time of day."

"I guess you're right. We'd better go in before Ryan has them bored to tears."

While Ryan tried to put together some tea, the others reminisced about "old times" and Alan created stories about their travels. When Ryan returned with the tea, Evan broached the subject of their line-up.

"Stu stayed in Hamburg after our second trip last year in order to go to art college and because he was engaged to Astrid," said John.

"That's great!" exclaimed Ryan. "When's the wedding?"

"Stu died in April of a brain hemorrhage the day before we returned."

"My God! I'm sorry," said Alan. "I know you were close friends."

John didn't say anything.

"And Pete?" prompted Evan.

"He's left the group," said George after a moment's pause.

"He quit just like that?" asked Ryan. "But you were going along so well."

"Let's just put it down to creative differences," said Paul diplomatically.

"We realized he was only a mediocre drummer," stated John bluntly.

"So you fired him," said Evan.

"We weren't the only ones who thought so," put in George. "Our producer felt the same."

"He even had a session drummer there," remarked Ringo, sounding somewhat hurt.

"Well, he didn't know about you, did he?" said Paul. "He was expecting Pete."

"What happened?" asked Alan.

"Oh, the session guy sat in for a couple of takes and then I played," answered Ringo. "He wasn't that great."

"That's probably why he's only a session musician," said Ryan.

"Do you think we could hear them?" asked Evan. "The songs you did today?"

They hesitated. "You don't have to," said Ryan, "and we realize it won't be how the finished product will sound."

"I guess so," said John.

"Good. Right through here." Ryan led them to a room at the back of the house. It was large with a high ceiling and was arranged like a recording studio complete with a piano, drums, and a selection of guitars. "I hope this will do."

"It's great," said Paul. "But why?"

"How do you think we learned to play?" questioned Alan. "Uncle Gil was a bit eccentric and indulged us by letting us play here when he was out of town."

The band members selected and tested their instruments. The brothers stood to the side and waited for them to get ready. Alan pushed a button that acted as a remote to a recorder that would catch the Beatles in this informal session. John pulled out his harmonica and started Love Me Do, which they followed with P.S. I Love You.

"That was fantastic!" declared Evan. "You wrote those?"

"You know, I think it's great that they let you put out your own songs for your début single," remarked Alan. "I would have thought they'd make you do a cover."

"They did give us one song, but it just wasn't us," said George.

"We tried to tell them so, and even re-arranged it," said Paul.

"They finally realized what we knew from the beginning," added John.

Paul looked at his watch. "We'd better get going. I bet Brian's wondering where we are."

"It was good seeing you again," said Evan. "Why don't we give you the phone number so you can call when you're in town. Lord only knows if we'll be here, but it couldn't hurt."

"Good idea," agreed Ryan. He jotted down the number and address and handed it to John.

"Are you guys doing anything tomorrow night?" asked John.

"No, nothing really."

"If you want, we're performing in Liverpool at the Cavern Club. Maybe you can join us again."

"We'd love to," accepted Alan. "See you then."

"How are you going to get to your hotel?" asked Evan.

"The tube should be okay," said Ringo.

"The nearest stop is Finchley Road on the Jubilee Line." Ryan gave them directions.

"See you tomorrow night, then," said Paul.

After the Beatles had gone, the brothers collapsed onto the nearest furniture. "God, this is fantastic!" said Alan.

"They actually asked us to visit them at the Cavern. We must have made an impression if they want us to jaunt up to Liverpool," remarked Evan. "Are we going the conventional way?"

"We could be there now if we felt like it," said Ryan.

"Since there's a chance we'll be playing with them, we should bring our own instruments, and we'd look silly carting them all around."

"I think we can get up there with the instruments and tell them we took a train and then a taxi," put in Alan.

"Now that we've decided how we're going to get there, what are we going to do when we arrive?" asked Evan.

Ryan looked at him. "Do you always have to have everything planned out? You can't just 'go with the flow'?"

"I like to have a general outline."

"I take it you want to know what songs we'd do if they ask us onstage," remarked Alan. "I guess we could try some Elvis, Roy Orbison, maybe even a little Motown."

"Well, let's play a little and decide," said Ryan as he headed for the music room. "Whatever we sing, we'd better do a good job of it."

* * * *

They arrived the following evening just down the street from the Cavern Club. As they turned into Matthew Street, they saw a line of fans--mostly girls--waiting to get in. The brothers joined the queue and waited their turn. They received a few curious stares as they were carrying their guitars, but no one said anything. Once inside, they made their way down stone steps into the damp cellar. The club was divided into three arched brick tunnels, the stage located in the middle. The Beatles were playing Some Other Guy.

Alan saw a spot close to the stage next to the wall. He threaded through the crowd, Ryan and Evan following. Ryan set his guitar against the wall and looked around. "This is definitely one happening place."

"Yeah, too bad they had to tear it down," remarked Alan as he watched the band onstage. When the song was done, Paul nodded in greeting. Alan returned the gesture. As John introduced the next song, Paul spoke to someone off to the side of the stage.

"Do you see any empty tables?" asked Evan. "I can't tell."

"I don't think that there's any need for that," said Ryan as a tall, thin, studious-looking man approached them.

"You are the Kelly brothers?" he asked. Ryan nodded. "I'm Neil Aspinall and I've been asked to take you backstage."

"Thanks," said Evan as they picked up their guitars and followed.

There really wasn't much of a backstage, just a narrow spot where they could stand unseen by the crowd. From their vantage point, the Kellys had a very envied view of the Beatles in concert. Not many people would be allowed such a prime spot.

When they had finished Hello Little Girl, Paul stepped up to the microphone. "Thank you!" He laughed as the crowd called out requests. "Right now, we'd like to introduce some friends of ours who performed with us in Hamburg. The Kelly Brothers!"

Alan, Evan, and Ryan walked on and shook hands with the band, who then left the stage. Alan smiled at the crowd, trying to win them over with his charm. "I know you weren't expecting this, and we don't plan to play long, just a few songs. We hope you enjoy them."

He looked at his brothers then started with a lesser-known tune by Elvis.

Won't you wear my ring
Up around your neck
To tell the world
I'm yours, by heck.
Let them know, I love you so
And let them know by the ring around your neck.


The customers danced and sang along, cheering when the song was over. "Thank you," said Alan, a little out of breath. "Now we'd like to slow things down a bit."
Evan took center-stage and Alan backed up.

I was all right for a while
I could smile for a while
When I saw you last night
You held my hand so tight
As we stopped to say 'Hello'.
Though you wished me well
You couldn't tell
That I'd been crying over you...


Evan sang with such a plaintive voice that made Alan think that most of the girls in the crowd would be teary-eyed.

Ryan came forward from the drums and the three gathered around one microphone. With a simple count, they started Let It Be Me, the Everly Brothers song they had been singing when the Beatles first heard them. They had decided to sing songs that showcased each of them plus one they could harmonize. When they were done, Alan moved to the drums and Ryan took a seat at the piano where he would have his vocal.

With a smile, he pounded the keyboards and sang.
You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
Your kind of love drives a man insane
You broke my will, but what a thrill
Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!


Ryan may not have been as flamboyant as Jerry Lee Lewis, but he definitely had a lot of energy. A little out of breath, he thanked the crowd for being so tolerant. "For our last song, we want to do a number that most bands cover at some point or another, and we'd like to ask our friends to join us."

The three brothers gathered at the front and began to sing a cappella. "Dom dom dom dom dom, dom-bi-du-bi-dom" Alan took the first lead.

Well, I love you darling,
Come and go with me
Come on with me, way beyond the sea
I need you darling,
So come go with me


The Beatles came out to sing backing vocals and take turns on the lead. Even though the song was old and most of the audience had heard it before, they cheered and sang along. When it was done, the Kellys took their bows and left the stage.

"Man, I could do with a shower," remarked Ryan as he pulled his sweat-soaked shirt away from his skin. "I must have lost at least ten pounds."

"You wouldn't trade the experience for anything, would you?" asked Evan.

"Lord, no!"

They found themselves a table where they could sit and watch the rest of the Beatles' performance. "Did anybody think to bring a camera?" asked Ryan. "To have our own pics of Them at the Cavern would be fantastic."

"Sorry, I didn't know about this trip," remarked Evan.

Ryan looked at his twin. "I thought you were bringing it," Alan replied. "After we leave here, why don't you pop back and get it."

"Okay. Remind me."

When the Beatles had finished, Alan picked up his guitar and headed for the back. "Where are you going?" asked Evan.

"You don't expect them to come out here and get mobbed, do you? C'mon." They Kellys made their way to the back of the club where they found the band wiping themselves down with towels and unwinding.

"Good to see you didn't leave," said John.

"That wouldn't be very kind after you let us go onstage," said Evan.

"You guys have definitely improved since Hamburg," said Paul.

"The same could be said about you," said Ryan.

Alan noticed a well-dressed man of about thirty standing off to the side, listening to the banter with a small smile on his face. George saw the look and knew introductions were in order. "Brian, these are friends we met in Hamburg; Ryan, Evan, and Alan Kelly. This is Brian Epstein, our manager."

Alan shook his hand. "So you're the one who gets credit for polishing them up."

"I just made them a bit more presentable."

"Clothes make the man, don't they?" added Ryan.

"Do you have plans?" asked John.

"For now?" asked Evan. John nodded. "Nothing really. Why?"

"I've got some photos from Hamburg at my house that I want you to see."

Ryan looked at Alan, waiting for his lead. Alan knew hat the others were leaving the decision up to him. It would give them the opportunity to meet Cynthia, John's wife, as well as his Aunt Mimi. Besides, when would they get asked again? "Sure," he said. "We won't be disturbing anything, will we?"

"Would I have asked?"

* * * *

The following day, after a restful night at a hotel, the Kellys met the Beatles at the Cavern for lunch where they caught them in a concert. When the performance was over, the brothers went to the back to say good-bye.

"Are you sure you can't stay a little longer?" asked George.

"We'd love to, but we have to get back to London. You've got our phone number and address if you want to get in touch," said Ryan.

"We may not always be there, but we'll get a message," added Alan.

"We had a wonderful time," put in Evan. "Thanks for letting us perform."

"And the photographs," inserted Ryan.

Evan smiled. "Just don't forget us when you become stars."

"As long as you keep in touch," said Paul as they all shook hands.

With smiles, the brothers left the club and headed down Matthew Street until they were out of sight then disappeared.

*********************

Shannon sat in Gil's lab, humming a song as she waited for him to finish what he was working on. "It must be catching," he remarked.

"What?"

"That song. Alan and Ryan were playing it the other day."

"Where did they go, anyway?"

"No idea. Somewhere to celebrate Evan's birthday."

The door opened and Eric Rader, another member of the TOC entered. "I have something for you to see." He went to Gil's computer and patched into the Archives and called up a photo. "For some reason, I had the Beatles on the brain and was going through some books when I saw this."

Shannon looked at the black and white picture reproduced on the screen. "So? It's only them hanging out at a club. I've seen lots of those."

"Look closer."

She peered at the others in the photo. "No. It can't be."

"If not, they could pass for twins."

Shannon looked at Gil. "You knew about this, didn't you? They look about ten years younger. One of your creations, no doubt."

Gil looked like a naughty child who had been caught in the act. "You found me out. Yes, it's one of my creations that allows them to look that young. But they never told me where they were going."

"But what is it?" asked Eric. "It has to be something temporary."

"It's quite amazing, if I do say so myself. It's a holographic projector that can change your physical appearance depending on how you program it."

"How long does it take to put together?" asked Shannon.

"About two months of very little sleep. Now that I know what I'm doing, a few days."

"Good," said Shannon. "Then I won't feel guilty when you make mine."

"And you think I will?"

"No, I know you will. You're never happier than when you're tinkering in your lab." Shannon smiled. Eric laughed.

"Do you want one, too?" Gil asked Eric.

"No, thank you. It's a family trip. Shane can put her neck in the noose if she wants, but I like mine the way it is."

"I don't think it'll be that bad. After all, they treat me like a little sister and little sisters are supposed to tag-along where they're not wanted." With that statement, the argument was over.

* * * *

Alan, Ryan, and Evan made their way to the Prince of Wales Theatre to catch the Royal Command Performance of 1963. They took the tube to Picadilly then walked down Coventry Street to the theatre. They went around to the back, planning to go inside and talk with the band before they had to perform. They weren't the only ones who wished to do so: hundreds of girls were mobbing the stage door. Evan pushed through the crowd and spoke to the man guarding the door. "My brothers and I would like to speak with the Beatles."

"Yeah? So would all these girls, but you don't see me lettin' them in."

"We're not just fans," said Alan. "We've performed with them in Hamburg and Liverpool."

The guard was unimpressed. "You people'd say anything."

"Okay. Will you send a note in to them?" asked Ryan. "If they say 'no', we'll leave."

"Why not?" He watched as Ryan wrote a quick note. With a promise to make sure it reached the Beatles, the man went inside.

"That was good thinking," said Evan.

"Yeah. What did you write?"

"Five simple words: The competition has arrived. Kelly."

While they were waiting for a reply, a girl in the crowd began to sing. The song started slowly, but soon became livelier and others in the crowd joined in on the chorus. It took Alan a little bit to recognize Walking Back to Happiness, a hit by Helen Shapiro. The voice, however, belonged to someone he knew very well. He and his brothers watched as she made her way forward and the Red Sea parted to let her pass. The song was timed perfectly as it ended when she reached the steps.

"Did you miss me?" she asked.

"We knew you'd show up sooner or later," said Ryan.

The guard returned saying that yes, they were allowed in. He then saw her and was ready to hold her back when Alan said, "No, she's with us. Unfortunately," he added when they were inside.

Shannon just smiled.

They were greeted by the Beatles who apologized for the hassle. "If we had known you were coming, we would have put you on the list," said Paul.

"Thing is, we really didn't know ourselves," said Evan. "We've been out of town and just arrived today."

"Where were you?" asked George.

"Greece."

"Cairo."

"Istanbul."

"That's why they didn't know I was coming to meet them," said Shannon.

"And who might you be?" asked John.

"Oh, sorry," said Alan. "This is our cousin, Shannon Flynn."

"A pleasure to meet you," she said, shaking their hands.

"How did you know where to find them?" asked George.

"I knew they knew you and would try to come here to see you. I saw them at the stage door but they couldn't hear me above all the other girls. I did the only thing I could think of." She paused, seeing if she had their attention.

"What?" asked Ringo.

Shannon looked at Alan, who grinned. "I sang," she answered.

"It must be a family trait," said John. "Are you good?"

"Her Danny Boy brings tears to the eyes," said Alan.

"She can scream out a good rocker as well," added Evan.

"We'll have to give you a listen," said Paul.

"That'll have to wait," said Brian. "You're on next."

* * * *

Two weeks later Shannon and the Kellys were in the E.M.I. Studios at Abbey Road. After the Royal Command Performance, the band had arranged for this recording session. George Martin, the producer, was a little unsure of these untried strangers. George asked him to listen. "What harm could it do?"

They had chosen a varied line-up to showcase their talents. They did a few warm-up numbers and George Martin heard for himself how talented they were. They played their own instruments, including Shannon. During one of the breaks, Shannon just looked around the studio. "I can't believe we're here. Actually recording in the Beatles' studio."

"It is amazing," agreed Ryan. "The fact that we're even recording is surprising in and of itself."

"You know, we should think of a name," said Evan.

"A name?" questioned Ryan.

"Yes, a name. What if we perform somewhere? They'd need a name to put on the bill."

"Or," added Alan, "what if this is even realized? A name needs to go on the label."

"But what kind of name?" asked Shannon. "The bands are either the Somethings or So-and-So and the Such-and-Such."

They were throwing out names when Paul and George came over. "Well, you've won George over," said George. "He was a bit skeptical at first."

"What are you doing?" asked Paul.

"Trying to think up a name," said Shannon.

"Any luck?" asked George.

"Not really," answered Evan.

"The competition doesn't sound so confident now," joked Paul.

"That's it!" cried Alan. "Why didn't I think of that before?"

"What?" questioned Ryan.

"The Competition!"

The three brothers and the two Beatles started laughing. "What's so funny?" asked Shannon. Ryan explained the inside joke and she agreed to the name.
They finished the session with Shannon singing Crazy, a country song done by Patsy Cline that they had arranged to fit a rock band. They also sang I'll be on My Way, a Lennon-McCartney original. Since they would have to promote the record, they made a point to play only major cities and venues. They weren't about to be bound to a tour, playing every whistle-stop. They also arranged for a few months off during the year--just in case it was necessary.

Still having a hard time believing all this was happening, the decided to play it for all it was worth. The Competition had arrived on the British music scene.

* * * *

After finding the photograph, Eric kept searching the archives, waiting for other references to the travelers. Reading about Lennon-McCartney songs the Beatles never released themselves, he found reference to a group named The Competition composed of three brothers and a female cousin. The group recorded many covers, the first being I'll be on My Way, by Lennon-McCartney. Eric pulled up an audio recording of the song and heard the Kelly brothers harmonize with Shannon. "This is too much."

He cross-referenced the group against the Top 100 and discovered that the group had a Top Ten single. Their other singles never made it so high. He then checked the band against all recording groups and learned that the members had bit parts in A Hard Day's Night and recorded again late in 1964. There were no other songs listed. They did, however, attend all the "in" social gatherings and they also seemed to be able to pick which struggling bands and singers would go on to success.

* * * *

After a brief stop in June 1966 for George's wedding to Pattie Boyd, a model he met while filming A Hard Day's Night, the four skipped ahead to the fall of that year. After they had spent a day becoming aware of what was going on in the world, they called Brian to let him know they were back and available. "How wonderful to hear from you. Did you have a good time?"

"As always, it seemed to go by in a flash," replied Evan. "We have a few ideas for our next project whenever you're available to hear them."

"The boys will be at the studio today and I was going to listen in for awhile. Why don't you stop by around 4:00?"

"Fine. We'll see you then." Evan hung up the phone.

"Well?" asked Alan.

"He said he'd meet us at the studio. He's going to listen to the Beatles record."

"It's Sgt Pepper time," said Shannon.

"Should prove interesting to watch the creation of such a ground-breaking album," remarked Ryan.

"Would you believe it was sparked by the Beach Boys?" said Shannon.

"I do remember hearing that before," said Alan. "Pet Sounds, right?"

"Yep. I think the fact that it was the Beatles, a world-known group, performing psychedelic music more or less announced the arrival of the Summer of Love."

"Do you know any songs we could use to cash in on this?" asked Evan.

"Most of the stuff I know hasn't been written yet," remarked Shannon.

"Maybe we should take a totally different tack," said Ryan.

"What do you mean by that?" asked Alan.

"Most of the bands will be cashing in on this, right? Why don't we go the other way?" The others looked at him puzzled. "With everyone else going forward with music, let's go backwards."

"You mean like standards--Gershwin, Porter, and stuff?"

"And who's going to break this to Brian?" asked Evan.

"You are!" they chorused.

After convincing Brian to let them record an album of standards, they stopped in to see the Beatles record. They were working on Strawberry Fields Forever and it was strange hearing it without the effects that would make it the psychedelic standard it would become.

After recording their album, including such songs as Someone to Watch Over Me, The Way You Look Tonight, When I Fall In Love, and The Street Where You Live, they made promotional appearances. In mid-May 1967, John and Paul visited their house and informed them that the Beatles had been chosen to represent Britain in a worldwide television broadcast set for June,

"That's wonderful news!" said Shannon. "It'll be like performing for all your fans at once without leaving London."

"You're going to have to come up with some message that is short, meaningful, and easily understood," remarked Alan.

"I don't envy you that," said Ryan.

"It is a great responsibility," said Paul. "I mean, we want to use the perfect song, not just some reject."

"Yeah," agreed John. "We don't want to give 'em a piece of crap!"

"Have you come up with any ideas for a topic?" asked Evan. "You'll want something meaningful."

"That's true," said Shannon. "Something with peace and love."

"I'm sure you'll come up with something," Alan told the songwriters as they left. "You always do."

Shannon looked at the others. "I think that went well."

"I especially liked your subtle remark of peace and love," said Ryan.

"It was general enough, I thought, fitting well with the time."

"I would have worried if you said something like 'All you need is something about love and peace'," commented Alan.

"That might have been a bit obvious," agreed Shannon with a grin.

"Now all we have to do is wait for them to bring us the song," said Evan.

"Do you think they will?" asked Ryan.

"They have before, at least on the ones that really trouble them," answered Evan.

About a week later, John and Paul returned, each with his own song. "We want your opinion on which song would be better," said Paul.

"Us?" asked Alan, feigning surprise. "Why would you want our opinion?"

"You always seem to have some recommendation to add or change a word that makes a whole song work," remarked John.

"Just lucky, I guess," said Evan.

"It's weird," said Paul. "Like you have some sort of insight. I'm surprised you don't write your own songs."

"It is strange. Maybe we're more like arrangers than composers. We take something that's already been written and change it to match what we hear in our heads," said Alan."

"Let's go to the studio and you can play the songs for us," said Shannon.

Paul went first. The song was good, but it just seemed to lack the necessary requirements for the occasion. John then played his song, and, even in this simple, acoustic version, they knew it was something special.

"I think you have something there, my friend," Alan told him.

"You can't get any simpler. All You Need is Love," said Shannon. "Perfect."

"How do you plan to arrange it?" asked Evan.

"Arrange it? I've just written it!"

"C'mon, you must have had an idea in your head when you wrote it what you wanted it to sound like."

"I think you should use something unique to open it, something powerful with a definite international flavor," remarked Ryan.

"Good idea," said Alan. "What country makes you think of love?"

"France," answered Paul.

"And when you think of France, what one song comes to mind?"

"Les Marseillaise," answered John after a pause. He looked at Alan. "You know, that's a good idea." He faced Paul. "George might have some ideas on how to present it."

"I think horns would be the thing," said Ryan.

They spent the rest of the visit jamming in the studio before the two Beatles had to leave for Abbey Road. As they were going, John stopped on the doorstep. "If we need any vocals, would you be willing?"

"Just try and keep us away!" laughed Shannon.

On June 25, the travelers arrived at Abbey Road to find the studio bedecked with flowers, balloons, and streamers. "Welcome to the Land of Flower Children," murmured Ryan.

"It does make you think of peace and love, thought," said Shannon. "International symbolism."

"Remember, we don't know the finished product," warned Alan. "We can't sing with it like we're hearing it on the radio."

Ringo was the first to spot them. "Great. You made it."

"Wouldn't have missed this for the world," said Evan.

"And the world is exactly who'll be watching."

"You must be really nervous," Shannon said.

"It hasn't sunk in yet. Probably as it gets closer to the broadcast."

"Maybe if you think of it as just another performance for the BBC," put in Ryan.

They went off to the side and watched as the band ran through the song a few times. The basic track had already been laid down and all that needed to be added was the chorus at the end using friends. The Competition got to hear the song a number of times while waiting and found it hard to believe how much it had changed since John had first played it for them. "This song will outlive us all," remarked Shannon. "Messages like this will always be in style."

"Sometimes you guys really scare me when you say things like that," said George. "You seem to have a sixth sense about these things."

"This doesn't need a psychic. It's easy to tell with this song."

"Not just this song. You always seem to find struggling little bands and predict great things."

"We just have great taste," said Alan. "We found you, didn't we?" George didn't have an answer for that and walked off.

"That was close," said Ryan.

Soon it was time for the broadcast. Alan, Evan, Ryan, and Shannon found places on the floor among the friends and stars that had been invited to take part. Once the horns started, Shannon felt chills on her spine. She mouthed along with the group and smiled when any of them looked in her direction. She knew the brothers were enjoying the experience as well. She felt crushed when it was over all too soon. It was time to go and the next time they would see them, the band would be on its last legs.

They made their farewells and said they would be dropping out of the music scene for a while. With their upcoming absence explained, they left.

* * * *

It was mid-January 1969, the beginning of the end of a decade and the beginning of the end of a band. They caught up on the news at the house before Alan decided to call the studio. "Why there?" asked Shannon. "Why not one of them at home?"

"And how would you choose which one to call? Tempers will flare at the slightest thing, so our safest bet is the studio."

They were lucky that the Beatles were in the studio. "It's great to hear from you," George said. "If you're not busy, why don't you come and sit in?"

"Great. See you in about twenty minutes."

On the way to Apple Studios on Savile Row, they spoke of what was going on at this point in the Beatles history. After Brian's death in 1968, they slowly began to drift apart. They founded Apple Corps., but knew nothing of financial matters and it was soon in trouble. There was a lot of in fighting over who would manage it. Also, the presence of Yoko Ono, John's soon-to-be-wife, was continuous and the others thought she was taking John away from them. "Perhaps seeing John with someone else brought home the fact that the band was breaking up and they weren't ready to face it," said Shannon. "So they blamed Yoko."

"Possibly," Evan said. "After all, they had spent years together living in each other's pockets. Maybe if they had the chance to go off on solo projects occasionally, they might have had an outlet."

"Remember," said Alan, "we want to keep everything light, no added tension."

They arrived at Apple and were directed to the recording studio in the cellar. Once there, they were treated like prodigals. "We'll have to look to our laurels, lads," remarked John. "The Competition has returned."

"Ready to sing again?" asked George.

"Possibly," answered Ryan. "We heard some 'way out' songs while in the States."

"That was quite a different sound you guys were playing," commented Shannon.

"We're going for a simpler sound," said Paul.

"Getting back to your roots?"

"We want to end our film with a concert somewhere."

"Cool idea," said Ryan.

"Could cause some headaches, though," said Evan.

"How do you mean?" asked Ringo.

"Venue, ticket sales, crowd control, publicity... The list goes on."

"Not to mention the film crew and where to place the cameras," added Alan. "It's something that needs a lot of thought."

"It would solve your problems if you could just go on the roof!" said Shannon with a smile.

"That's not a bad idea," said John. "We'll have to check with Michael on that." He looked at Shannon. "I don't think that's ever been done before."

"You four have been known to set new standards."

"Do you top-notch writers have any songs lying around we can use?" asked Alan. "Since we've been out of the public eye for so long, one of your songs should help announce our return."

"We might," said Paul. "We do have quite a backlog. Any idea of what you want?"

"Something mellow. We've got a few 'message' songs lined up already," said Evan.

"Can you hang around for a bit? We just need a couple more takes on this song."

"Not a problem."

They listened to the band play Don't Let Me Down and afterwards were taken upstairs to one of the offices where they went through a catalog of unreleased tracks. They soon decided on All Things Must Pass, a song written by George. They made a copy of the sheet music so they could rehearse it at home.

"We'll call for a studio time," Alan told them as they left.

"Okay. We'll let you know about the concert," said George.

George called on the 29th. "We're going to do the concert tomorrow. We're not sure what time, around midday I think."

"Great. We'll be there!" exclaimed Shannon.

They arrived at Apple the next day at 10:30. There was another guest artist; Billy Preston, a keyboardist the Beatles had met when he toured with Little Richard in 1962. After introductions were made, the visitors were filled in on the agenda. Billy was to play on a couple of numbers and The Competition was welcome to sing back-up as no arrangements had been made for them.

"You lads are gonna stop traffic once again," predicted Alan.

This brought a laugh from John as the group prepared to play on the London rooftop on a cold January day. It was strange, seeing them wrapped in heavy winter coats trying to play like they were in some club. They began with a couple of takes of Get Back, which was the working title of the film and album. One of the songs they performed was The One After 909, a song John and Paul had written in 1957. Ryan peered over the side and saw people walking in the street while looking up to see what was going on. Some workers in neighboring buildings watched from their windows.

The police were called in, however, and the band was politely asked to stop as they were creating a disturbance. The band complied though it was an anti-climactic ending for the movie.

Everyone went back inside, but Shannon lingered by the instruments as the roadies were packing everything away. "What's the matter?" asked Evan.

"They were so happy, playing like this. You could tell. It's so hard knowing that they won't last the year."

"I know. We can only drop little hints, but know they'll be ignored."

"We'll stay a little longer than go home," said Alan.

They stayed and watched helplessly as the band fell apart before their eyes. It was as if they were all struggling to assert their own personalities, which was killing the band.

The Competition finished recording their album and, knowing things would not be the same once the Beatles broke up, announced they would no longer record. They remained in London to promote the final album, which was a strange mix in an attempt to bridge the decades. They were there when Paul married Linda Eastman and when John and Yoko "escaped" to Gibraltar to tie the knot. They slowly faded themselves out of the music scene, but remained friends with all those they had met over the years.

* * * *

Gil found Eric staring at the computer screen in his room. "If you don't get out more, people will start to talk," he remarked with a grin.

"This is amazing. Man, we should've gone."

"Don't tell me, you're reading up on Alan and the others."

"Yeah. After the breakup of the Beatles, they hung around a bit. Alan and Ryan played with John as part of the Plastic Ono Band. Shannon and Evan showed up at George's concert for Bangladesh. And they all did turns as session artists."

"They certainly kept busy."

"That's not all. Alan was with John the day he was killed."

"Oh, Lord. That must have been tough. He must have wanted to scream out about what would happen, to warn John somehow."

"I can just imagine," agreed Eric. "I think of all of them, Alan would have been the closest to John. From what I've read, they seem to have the same dry wit."

"What happened after that?"

"I'm not sure. It says something about a memorial service, but it doesn't mention who was there."

"It's a good guess that they were. I'm glad I didn't go. I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue. I think that will definitely be a soft spot for them. I wouldn't recommend playing Beatle songs or mentioning any of this when they come back. Let them be the ones to bring it up."

* * * *

After the service, the travelers were rather subdued. "What a way to end this trip," remarked Ryan. "We can't go back like this. We need something a bit more 'up'."

"Wait," said Shannon. "There was a tribute concert to John in Liverpool. We could go there."

"It would be a better way to remember him," said Alan. He looked at Evan. "It's your call."

His older brother thought for a moment, looking at their faces. "Let's go for it!"

They arrived a few days before the concert and when they "heard" about it, they had to take part. When the organizers learned of their interest, they couldn't do enough. The Competition was worked into the line-up near the end where the prime acts were scheduled. "I feel like the Prodigal Band," remarked Shannon, "and this placement is the equivalent to the fatted calf."

"We have to find out what songs of John's the other acts are performing so we don't repeat anything. Then comes the hard task of picking the songs. I think we're allowed two," said Alan.

After checking with the artists, they finally decided to do one Beatle song and one of John's solo works. It was hard, getting back into the performance mode and they had never performed for such a large audience. They were given a warm introduction recounting their early friendship with John and the rest of the band. The group took center stage around two microphones and harmonized Because; a song of John's released on Abbey Road. The stadium remained quiet until they were done, then it burst into rapturous applause.

"Thank you, all! We're a little rusty with our performance skills, so I hope you'll bear with us." Alan looked at the others. "As we all couldn't take the time to say how we all felt about John, I've been appointed spokesperson. John was one of the most honest people I have ever met, not afraid to speak his mind. The world suffered a great loss at his passing, but as long as people gather and celebrate his music, he will live on. This is for you, John. We know you're watching."

They launched into Whatever Gets You Thru the Night, a song John had recorded with Elton John. When they came to the line, "Don't need a gun to blow your mind', they paused a few minutes before continuing. When they were done, they received loud cheers and applause.

"Now that's the way to go out," declared Evan.

Series this work belongs to: