Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,008
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,763

Mele Kalikimaka

Summary:

A sudden change of plans makes for a very merry Christmas.

Work Text:

Mele Kalikimaka
by  Sam-Tony

He awoke as usual whenever he stayed over at Steve's, to the itchy feeling of being watched.  Without looking Danny tugged Steve's pillow out from under his elbow and threw it at him.  Lobbed, really, as there was no strength, no aim and only a few inches in the effort.
 
"Shut up.  Sleeping."
 
He could feel the SEAL smirk even with his eyes closed.  "Didn't say anything."
 
"Didn't have to.  I can hear you thinking.  For a super stealthy super SEAL you're very loud, did you know that?"
 
In his mind Steve added the head tilt to the smirk.  "I did not know that, Daniel, thank you."
 
"Well there you go."
 
"Uh huh.  I thought you were sleeping?"
 
"I was."  Danny gave it up as a lost cause.  Up Too Early Steve was Far Too Chatty Steve to ever let Danny do something as frivolous as go back to sleep on their day off.  "Why are you even up at such an ungodly hour?"
 
"I'm always up this early,"  Steve reminded him reasonably.  Or as if he were losing his mind, he wasn't sure.  Maybe he was, because in no way should that look be having that effect on him this early in the morning.  
 
A look he couldn't even see because he refused to open his eyes yet, though he did feel the need to complain,  "I will bet you it's not even 7 am!"
 
"Almost."
 
At that, Danny did pop an eye open enough to demand,  "How close?"
 
Steve leaned over Danny's shoulder to check the alarm clock, placed on his side of the bed for that very reason.  Sneaky bastard.  "Two minutes.  Why?"
 
"Why?  Why?  Because, oh great super SEAL, we have exactly two minutes and two minutes exactly before Grace comes in to drag us out of bed for Christmas Morning, that's why."
 
Above him Steve blinked.  "Wow.  You are way to awake if you can make that statement."
 
"Practice,"  Danny told him.  "For your information, when you become a parent, you get one 'wake up and be intelligent at an ungodly hour' card a year, to use on the day of your choice.  I use mine on Christmas Morning."
 
Steve snorted, that disbelieving smirk on his lips.  "And you think Grace will be up at seven am - "
 
"Oh I know,"  Danny reiterated, taking a glance at the clock over his own shoulder.  Seven am had always been their rule and Grace was nothing if not punctual.  "90 seconds."
 
"That clock doesn't have a second hand."
 
"Instinct."
 
"Guess I'll have to hurry then,"  Steve declared.  Leaning over he caught Danny's lips in a kiss, good morning and hello and I think you're crazy but that's okay, all rolled into a soft press of lips and the tongue that slipped inside to dance.
 
Oh yeah.  That was just nice.
 
Pulling back, Steve wore a sappy look he would be sure to deny and one that Danny would be sure to call him on in the somewhat  immediate future.  Just as soon as Gracie went home to her mom and step-Stan and her father had the afternoon alone with his partner.
 
"Good morning."
 
"Morning,"  Danny smiled.  It grew as he caught the distant thump of small feet on hardwood.
 
"What?"  Steve frowned.
 
"Three...two...one..."
 
Sure the sun rose, even in God-forsaken Hawaii, Grace knocked on their door, yelling inside as she found it locked,  "Get up, Danno!  Santa left presents!"
 
Snickering at the dumbfounded look found on Steve's face, Danny sent up a silent prayer of thanks that one of them had remembered to lock the bedroom door last night as he called back through,  "We're up, monkey.  You go on; Danno and Uncle Steve will meet you downstairs in a minute."
 
"Step-Steve,"  Grace denied.  Danny grinned.  His partner's self-satisfied smirk was back.  "And hurry up or I won't leave any presents for you!"
 
"Will do, munchkin - "
 
"Tell her to wait in the living room,"  Steve told him.
 
" - step-Steve says to wait in the living room until we come down."
 
"Fine, but hurry *up*, Danno!"
 
The sound of bare feet running down the stairs had Danny shaking his head.  One of these days that kid was going to break her neck...
 
"And why did I just instruct my daughter to wait for us in the living room?" Danny asked Steve, reaching up to steal a quick kiss before resolutely throwing aside the covers and swinging his feet over the side.  He knew from experience that if he didn't get up now, though there may still be presents with his name on them, Grace would have 'helped' open them in his absence.
 
Slipping out the other side, Steve pulled a worn pair of jeans and equally faded Navy t-shirt on over nothing at all, and Danny spared a minute in his own dressing to curse the fact Steve was going commando, knowing what that would be doing to him even with Grace in the house.  Sneaky bastard.
 
The smirk was eclipsed by his mischievous little boy look.  "You'll see."
 
"There a reason you can't tell me now?"
 
Waving a finger under his nose, making his eyes cross, Steve tsked lightly.  "Good little boys have patience, Daniel."
 
"Yeah how 'bout you bite me, Steven."
 
"Definitely later.  Right now your daughter is waiting for her Danno and Uncle Steve so she can see what Santa brought.  You coming?"
 
"Step-Steve,"  Danny corrected only to see that smug look ramp up another notch.  Oh yeah, he was going to be downright unbearable after this little secret was revealed and the day was over.
 
Like Danny didn't know about the giant live *traditional* Christmas tree, fully decked out with lights, garland and ornaments, surrounded by presents waiting as a surprise in the sun room.  Or that Steve had sprayed the windows with fake frost, laying more fake snow all over the floor to give Danny and Grace as close to a New Jersey winter wonderland as he could in Hawaii.
 
Bitch, please.  He *was* a detective after all.  And, well, he might have peeked..
 
...just a little.
 

End