Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
213
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
19
Hits:
1,239

THERE IS HOPE YET!

Summary:

Something I wrote up for Earth Day.  Short ficlet.

Work Text:

I look upon a beautiful jewel hanging in the heavens but looking closer my heart falls in sorrow.  This proud planet that has seen many disasters, wars, strife and triumphs of all sorts is now threatened by its own arrogance.  

Thinking they are invincible, its inhabitants brutally use the resources the planet has to offer without regard for its finite existence.  Once gone, so are they, but they blindly go on with the tasks of life and the window of existence gets smaller and smaller without them noticing.

But Hark! A small but growing band of listeners and watchers have noticed and with strident and persistent voices they badger the lazy, the wasteful, the arrogant, the powerful, the weak, and the complacent.  

Hear our voices! They cry.  We were blessed with a plentiful world and we must stop the carnage and disrespect we have shown her.  Rise Up! Take notice and stop the wasteful use of this precious resource before its too late!

Here and there, around the globe, the word is heard.  Pockets of people of all ages, races, skills, and wealth harken to the call and begin the monumental task of reversing the damage and retraining their thinking. As I watch, I nod my head and think, ‘There is hope for them yet.’