Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,109
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
8
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,195

The White Room

Summary:

Framed for murder, Vin awakens in a new type of prison.

Work Text:


The White Room
by Lopaka Tanu

 

Moaning softly, he shifted in another vain attempt at trying to get comfortable. The restraints around his wrists and the shape of the chair made it futile at best. Legs stretched out in front of him, he slumped as far as the chair let him. His bare feet slapped against the cold tiles just to hear something.

Vin wasn't certain how long he had been here. Time had lost all meaning months ago. He would have complained when they brought him in, but he knew there was no point. Besides, what he wanted ceased to matter before they had even slapped the cuffs on him. Why should they care about his feelings now?

The sterile room was brilliantly lit. All the tiles had a slight tilt towards a drain a few feet away. He assumed there was only one real reason for his being kept in a place like this. Well, he smirked, at least it would soon be over. That certainly didn't bode well for him. Not like anything ever did.

Closing his eyes, Vin dropped his chin to his chest in an attempt to get some rest. He had tried it several times before. This one was probably doomed too. At least he could try. There was no one here stopping him.

A banging came from directly ahead. This was followed by the groan of a heavy metal door swinging open.

Vin kept his head down and eye shut. They were going to have to force him to pay attention. It was about the only thing he had control over. Small and petty, it also had the benefit of making him feel better.

Her heels clacked on the tiles the moment she stepped over the threshold. Perfectly measured, each step came down as if timed to create the right pitch and echo. She circled him slowly, as if studying him.

Not that he cared in the least. She wasn't the first to try and intimidate him. Sure, she had a pretty good setup, and the special effects were damn close to some psychotic nightmare movie scene. Yet, she still had a ways to go before he would shake in his boots...so to speak. He snorted.

"What about this situation amuses you?" It was more curious than reprimanding. Her hushed tone carried enough that it filled the room without echoing. She had obviously done this before.

He knew she was waiting for his response. Well, she was out of luck, he wasn't going to give her the satisfaction.

"We are curious about you. You are a very unique individual." She was closer now. Standing behind him, her voice remained at the same level. "Would you like to tell me a little about yourself? I am sure there is much you could teach us." A single hand, placed gently on his shoulder, squeezed it comfortingly.

His muscles stiffened under her touch and he automatically looked up. Glancing over, he saw her smile. Despite the warm colors she wore, her entire appearance left him feeling cold. He shivered and tried to cringe away.

Seeing this, she raised an eyebrow. Releasing his shoulder, she seemed to frown without even twitching a facial muscle. "Very well then. We can try again later if you like."

The thought of spending even another moment in this room suddenly filled him with exhaustion. Groaning, he shifted in the chair and tried to find a comfortable position again. "You might as well take me back to that cell. I'm not gonna talk to ya."

Her reptilian smile was back. She nodded at him once. "Thank you, Mr. Tanner, you've already told us everything we need to know." Heading for the door, she closed her hands at her sides. "Someone will come to collect you soon enough."

No longer caring to keep his voice in check, he growled loud enough that it echoed off the walls back at him.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Standing outside the white room, Chris watched the squirming young man with a bored expression. The last twenty minutes had been nothing but more of the same. Standing here alone was unusual for him and it made him nervous. He had a sneaking suspicion of why he was there, but refused to acknowledge it. Besides, all his questions would be answered very soon.

Hearing the click-clack of her heels coming his way, he turned just enough to catch a glimpse out of the corner of his eye. "He didn't respond according to profile."

"Yes." She blinked slowly as she joined him at the window. Watching him instead of the prisoner, she pursed her lips. "I will update the new profile and have it uploaded to your panel within the hour."

His spine rigid, he kept his attention split between her and the young man. He knew she was watching them both, but her attention was focused solely on him at the moment. "How did you get this one wrong?"

Tilting her head a little, she smiled slowly. "It happens." She folded her hands behind her back and faced the window. "What is your impression of him?"

Jaw clenching, Chris eyed her for a moment. He knew she was up to something. They were always up to something here. "He's young and impatient, but hides it well." Fingers twitching, he curled them in a tight fist. He needed a smoke badly! "Odds are in his favor, though."

"That's good. He's now your responsibility."

Chris couldn't stop himself to from spinning to fully face her. As it was, he barely managed to keep from saying something stupid and potentially lethal. "Training new recruits is Michael's job."

"That's not true and you know it." She took a step closer to him, lowering her voice to give the illusion of intimacy. "For three years we have given you leeway and consideration. While you have performed all the tasks we asked of you above expectations, we feel you are not meeting your potential."

Cold sweat started to make his joints itch. Understanding of her words sent a chill down his spine.

She looked over through the window, then back to him. "His fate is now in your hands. If you have any questions, Michael or I will be available."

Chris didn't like the way she said that last part. Taking a deep breath, he resigned himself to the fact that this was a done deal. It was a test, not just of himself, but of his future with Section. Swallowing, he nodded.

"Congratulations." She reached up to give his shoulder a squeeze with another smile. "I am sure you will prove an excellent teacher."

 

 

THE END.............................