Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,023
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
16
Hits:
1,160

Deleted Scene: A Good Day to Die

Summary:

small scene set during ep "A Good Day to Die"

Work Text:

“Much.”

“Master,” Much started and turned away from watching the ship’s crew at work. He leaned on the railing and stared down at the water. The smell of salt water was strong in his nose.

Robin laughed quietly and mirrored Much’s position. He was close enough that their shoulders were touching. “Why so jumpy?”

Much glanced at Robin’s smiling face and then back out at the water. He licked his lips. “I’m not nervous.”

Robin arched an eyebrow. He simply stared at Much. There was an annoying twinkle in his eyes.

Much fought the urge to fidget under Robin’s knowing gaze. “Well,” he mumbled. “I can’t say that I’m looking forward to going back to the Holy Land.”

“We have to help King Richard, Much,” Robin said solemnly.

“I know,” Much replied defensively. “I never said we shouldn’t. I was just hoping we’d seen the last of the Holy Land. The whole place is hot and terrifying.”

Robin nudged Much. “We survived once. We’ll survive again.” He turned and leaned back, with his lower back and elbows resting on the rail.

Much sighed heavily, trying to come up with a subtle way of asking Robin to leave him be. He glanced at Robin again. He wished he felt that relaxed but his entire body was tight. Suddenly, Robin laughed and he couldn’t help scowling. “What’s so funny?”

Robin nodded to where John was helping the crew. “Who would’ve thought Little John would be at as home here as in the forest.”

Much’s fingers curled into a white knuckle grip on the rail. Before Robin’s interruption, he’d been watching John, a John wearing a thin, sleeveless shirt. Simply watching those muscles in action made his heart pound in his chest. He squeezed his eyes shut and tried not to think about it.

Robin continued, oblivious. “Did you know his uncle lived on the coast? He spent half his childhood on the water.”

Much glared down at his hands and had to make a conscious effort to relax them. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Really?” he asked in a bored tone of voice.

“It’s good to see him smile again. I knew that something was bothering him for a while.” Robin clicked his tongue between his teeth and turned back around to face the railing. “Now that I think about it, I first noticed it around the time we rescued Queen Eleanor.”

Much’s ears perked up at that. He looked at Robin curiously. “What do you mean?”

Robin frowned in thought. “He got more quiet than usual. I guess it shouldn’t be that surprising.”

Much was surprised. He still didn’t know why John pushed him away that night. Neither of them had the courage to confront the other since then.

“Think about it,” Robin said with sad compassion. “The Queen’s attentions are the first John’s received from a woman in some time.”

“So?”

“So.” Robin drew that one word out as if Much should see this for himself. “They’re completely different women but she may have reminded him of Alice.”

Much shook his head immediately. “I can’t see that.”

Robin shrugged. “It’s been almost a year since he had to send Alice and Little Little John away. I thought he was dealing with it. Something made him brood on it again, brought that guilt to the surface.”

Much thought on that for a moment. He’d never forget the anger and self-loathing in John’s voice when he spoke of his family in the barn. He remembered the pain when John said he wanted to die.

Robin studied Much’s face. “I think it was good to get it out.” He leaned against Much. “For all of us.”

Much swallowed. “I suppose so.” He managed a small smile. “I felt a lot better after I told you off.”

Robin grinned. “I’m sure you did and I deserved it.”

Much’s smile turned into a full fledged, toothy grin. “Yes, you did.”

They stood in companionable silence. Much actually found himself feeling good. He elbowed Robin playfully. “That’s a birthday you’ll never forget, hey?”

Robin rolled his eyes. “I hope my future birthdays are not quite so eventful.”

“Oh, it’ll be a grand story some day.” Much swept an arm out. “Robin Hood’s great escape from an army of mercenaries.”

Robin snickered. “Was there something else between you and Badgerbeard, Fat Face?”

Robin’s voice was a little too casual and Much felt the heat creeping up the back of his neck. “I don’t know what you mean.”

“There seemed to be more going on between you than the fear from being trapped in the barn.”

Much squeaked. He cleared his throat. “Wasn’t that enough?”

Robin arched both eyebrows. “Much,” he prompted.

The butterflies in Much’s stomach started having a wrestling match. “How?” he asked helplessly.

Robin wrapped an arm around Much’s shoulders. “I know you,” he answered quietly. “Although I wasn’t completely sure until I saw how you were staring at him just now.”

Much didn’t look at Robin. “And you’re not disappointed?”

“No. Why would I be?” Robin asked kindly.

Much just shrugged in response.

“Is it serious?”

“I thought it was. He…” Much’s voice trailed off and he felt his cheeks grow hot.

Robin hugged Much from the side. He faced the ocean. “Go on.”

“We were talking about when I was going to tell you. I asked him if he’d tell Alice. He said yes and that he’ll always love her but that doesn’t mean he can’t love anyone else.”

Robin smiled but had the courtesy not to look directly at Much. “It is serious then. Did you say it back?”

“What?” Much asked as a loss.

Robin gave Much the look he reserved for when he thought Much was being a special brand of stupid. “Give it a moment. It will come to you.”

Much’s eyes got wide. “I can’t.”

Robin shook his head and removed his arm. “Yes, you can.”

“But--”

“Much,” Robin interrupted. “The one thing we’ve all learned is that this life is too short. Anything can happen in an instant to take it away. You’re both miserable. The next time you can get him alone, do something about it.”

“Why do I have to make the first move?” Much asked petulantly.

“Because he can’t,” Robin hissed in exasperation and pity and turned and walked away.

Much hit the railing with his palm. “He’s right,” he muttered. “Why is he always right?”