Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,264
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
27
Hits:
2,198

Learning As We Go

Summary:

A peaceful moment between Logan, Scott, and their son James. Warning! this is a bottle!fic. Also light warnings for references to mpreg.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

Scott looked up as his son walked into the room, giving him a smile before returning his gaze to Logan who was sitting in front of him on the bed, suckling at a bottle full of something that resembled milk as he held it up for him. They had talked to James about this a couple years ago, explaining to him why his father occasionally needed a bottle like Bobby and Hank's newest daughter. It was something he had been raised around as well and he didn't even think twice as he followed the rules and said nothing as he walked in.

“Just your son.” Scott smiled at Logan, murmuring it softly. With Logan's enhanced hearing it was as good as yelling it and he didn't want to disturb the peaceful silence in the room with anything louder, “James?” he asked, directing his voice over at the seven year old. “Can you come over here with that other bottle?”

James hesitated only briefly. He had never been allowed into the room during this exercise until recently. They hadn't taken the chance when he was much younger. But he did as he was told willingly, eager to help, bringing over the other bottle.

Scott gently brought the bottle up, encouraging Logan's head up and his arm so that James would have enough room on his lap. He knew he was taking a chance but he was guessing Logan wouldn't mind. He knew that he could smell James, especially with this exercise bringing out his feral side and so he knew that Logan could ascertain that James was his and that he wasn't a threat.

James seemed incredibly fascinated and Scott was happy to teach his son how to take care of his other father. About what he needed and his mutant abilities. Some day he may even be able to do this for him himself. Someday James might even need a bottle just like this – if his soon to be discovered powers took a turn towards Logan's. Scott was just happy Xavier had developed this vital, therapeutic tool to help Logan with the beast within him. The beast that went by the name of Wolverine.

“You want to help hold the bottle?” Scott asked very softly.

James nodded, “Yeah.”

“Put your hand under mine.” Scott said, smiling as he felt the small hand on his own, “Good.”

“Wow.” James whispered, looking up at his feral father, who was completely submerged in the animal within him – Logan taking a backseat to the Wolverine for the time being, eyes turned golden hooded as he suckled leisurely from the bottle. But it was the power and sheer ferocity that was the Wolverine that his son was so memorized and awed by. Scott was too. All that power, all that fury and danger, so serene and calm – for the time being. But it didn't take away the raw danger that was obvious being in the presence of such a powerful creature. It was something they both felt keenly. Wolverine was far more dangerous now than he ever was with all his animalistic tendencies brought forth and into the open like this.

“You want to hear something neat?” he was glad Logan wasn't temporarily around to make fun of him for that word.

James nodded eagerly and Scott grinned briefly. Someday James would be able to make sounds just like Logan – had started trying when he was but three months old before he could even learn to talk and Scott was eager to show his son just some of the things he'd be able to do in the future.

“Good.” Scott made the word long and low, stressing the 'o' sound – remembering how Hank had taught him to say it. Xavier hadn't exactly approved coaxing more animalistic tendencies from Logan in this state but it had been stumbled upon by the good doctor while he had been giving him a bottle. He had been talking to him and Logan had responded by letting out a deep rumbling purr. It seemed that certain words resembled Logan's own feral 'language' if said just right and it encouraged things from him he wouldn't usually do.

Scott tried again, grinning as he tried to coax that rumbling purr from Logan he only rarely heard – in times like these and other times which he certainly couldn't ever tell James about. Especially at his age now.

“Good.” he said again, stressing the word and drawing it out.

Logan let out a soft sound, the start of that rumbling purr but stopped so Scott gave him some more encouragement. And after only a few times of saying it he really got Logan going, James grinning in amazement.

“Wow.” he whispered.

“You know where that comes from?” Scott whispered back, Logan needing no more encouragement as he happily gave off that deep, rumbling purr into the silence of the room. It was a little frightening, it was deep and more like a growl and it sounded dangerous but Scott knew it for what it was – an expression of contentment and pleasure and was eager to teach James that it wasn't a scary sound too.

“Where?” James asked.

“Put your hand on his chest. Over his heart.” Scott looked to Logan, “Good.” he said again, drawing the word out. He barely got half way through it before Logan kicked up another round of rumbling from his chest.

James's eyes widened and his mouth fell open in amazement, glancing up from his father holding the bottle and the other, “Wow. It doesn't come from his throat?”

“Nope. It comes from his chest. And someday you'll be able to do that too.”

“Cool.”

“Logan...” Scott paused, glancing over to make sure his husband wasn't bothered by them talking before continuing, keeping his voice a whisper. “The vocal cords in Logan's throat and the muscles in his chest are different than ours. Do you know how cats purr?”

James shook his head.

“By vibrating the muscles and vocal cords in their neck. Logan does the same.”

“Why does it come from his chest then?”

“You know Professor Xavier's cat when he purrs?”

James nodded.

“Where do you feel that when you pet him?”

James eyes widened in recognition, “In his chest!” he whispered.

“Yep. Its the same with Logan. And Dr. McCoy can do the same.”

“Wow really?”

Scott nodded although he was sure Bobby only knew that first hand. Scott refused to think about that.

Back when James had been younger, around four or five, they had explained to him this bottle feeding technique but hadn't let him see it until just eight months ago. They had explained that in zoos, zookeepers did the same for lions and tigers and bears. They had even taken him to the zoo, Xavier arranging something with the same staff member who had helped him adapt the technique for Logan, to see it for himself.

Just how James had learned never to take his father's sunglasses off he had been taught growing up Logan's 'do's' and 'don't's' also. And there was plenty more he'd still need to learn. This was just one of Logan's needs they were showing to him.

Logan let out a firm growl.

“What does that mean?” James whispered.

Scott smiled, “That means were talking too much.”

Jame mouth formed an 'oh' and he fell silent.

Scott smiled more, looking down at Logan's stomach, “You know what that is?” he whispered.

James smiled immediately, reaching down to gently touch the swell of life at Logan's midsection, “Yeah. That's my baby sister.”


~END~

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Vetesse.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.