Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 24 of The Advent Calender Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
547
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,176

Untitled Harry Potter

Summary:

day 24 of my Advent fic series

Work Text:

Though it was so rarely heard as to be considered a myth by many who knew him, Severus Snape had a fairly decent singing voice. Minerva had heard it once when he was still a boy attending Hogwarts, late one evening as he'd worked on some project in an empty classroom. His voice had still been changing, then, and there'd been the odd squeak or false note, but it had shown its promise. Years later she had heard him singing a song she knew had been a favorite of Lily Evans on that young lady's birthday. His voice had matured into the fine tones she'd heard promised, but despite the song's cheerful words, there had been a melancholy quality to the voice. Tonight, Minerva had heard him singing for a third time, but it had been so different from the last.

Minerva knew Severus had no love for Christmas or Yule, his childhood had not been very conducive to such pleasant things, and things had never really gotten better for the man as he grew older. From an unhappy childhood he had made ill-informed choices, which lead to becoming a spy with a fairly universally disliked daily persona. So she had developed the habit long ago, when Severus had first joined the staff, of dropping by his quarters sometime Christmas Eve to give him his gift. In the privacy of his rooms, Severus was more likely to show his genuine appreciation for whatever small item she gave him, and they would share some mulled wine before she left him to his solitude.

This year, as she approached his door, she'd heard him singing. The tune was familiar, but it wasn't until she'd unthinkingly opened the door that the words had become clear and she could identify it. She'd certainly not expected find Severus and Harry Potter curled up in the very picture of domestic tranquility. It spoke to how relaxed and comfortable the two men were together that they didn't notice her intrusion immediately. Severus finished the carol, and was turning to speak to Harry when he noticed her. Minerva spoke quickly, "I do wish you would sing more often, Severus, you have such a lovely voice. Now I've no wish to disturb your evening, I just wanted to bring you your gift." She set the package wrapped in plain forest-green paper on the table before him. "And I'll save myself the journey past your quarters, Harry, and give your yours now, as well." She thanked heavens she'd tucked it into her pocket as she brought it out and restored its proper size. "Happy Christmas to you both."

Minerva had just turned to leave when Severus' quiet voice stopped her. "There's no need to rush off, if you've got a moment. There's plenty of mulled wine if you would like a cup."

Though his voice was perfectly normal, she could feel the hesitancy in his offer. Harry looked a bit more nervous, but Minerva suspected a large part of it was that Harry was having trouble adapting to the fact that they were fellow teachers and equals these days.

"Only if you will sing again. 'The Holly and the Ivy' is a particular favorite of mine, though it seems to be considered a bit old-fashioned these days."

Series this work belongs to: