Actions

Work Header

Desert Mystery Man

Summary:

"The night held an aura of excitement that came on the desert wind."

Work Text:


Desert Mystery Man
by Keltic Dream


The night held an aura of excitement that came on the desert wind. A slight shiver went over her flesh, as she closed her eyes and breathed in the slightly scented air, and could almost hear a voice speak to her on the air. A hand touching her shoulder jerked her from her reveries, and startled, she turned and jerked away, spinning. She did a roundhouse kick that should have taken the man behind her down. But he stood there, smiling at her, having moved but a hairs breadth and avoided the well-aimed kick.

"What do you want?" Her voice was a little breathless and nervous. He had scared her. He bowed to her in a courtly fashion, and his right hand swept the ground at his feet. Coming up, his eyes met hers. A shock went through her.

"I am Ardeth Bay. I will not harm you. You should not be out like this without an escort. This is not America, where women can do and go where they will."

"I know that, but I can take care of myself." Her voice, now soft and unknown to her, was full of breathless desire. Ardeth heard it and smiled to himself. He was finding himself becoming aroused by this woman in front of him.

He had seen her inside the restaurant and had followed her. Not many like her in the country of dark men and women. Her fiery coloring, and eyes the color of the green dress she wore. Her skin, pale in the moonlight, the harsh sunlight had not kissed her flesh with its burning kiss. He longed to touch her; he had to still his hand before it reached up to follow his heart.

"Perhaps, but I am still standing. If I were a bad man, you would be in trouble right now. You need a protector in this land."

"I suppose you are that man?"

"Perhaps." One simple word but so much meaning. She glanced behind him, to the light of the restaurant.

"Excuse me, I think I will go in now, enough night air for me." She went past him into the lit room, and he turned and watched her go. He would keep an eye on the lady, for her own good, maybe not for his own, however.

Inside Valena moved to her table and sat down. The others at her table looked up, and an English couple and a fellow American looked up at her. Seeing her flushed cheeks, the English woman smiled, "Did you enjoy the night air, dear?" Valena just nodded. Her breath caught as she saw him across the room. He stood talking to another man. He was all dressed in black robes of some kind. His dark expressive eyes met her across the room. The soft curls, shoulder length, the color of a raven's wing, surrounded a face that was the handsomest she had ever seen. The moustache and goatee was closely cut, accenting his jaw line. Perfect white teeth flashed in his smile. Full lips, the lower one beckoning to her to lightly bite it. This man was erotic and exotic at the same time. He exuded sex appeal like a heady perfume, and there was danger as well. He was tall, over six feet, and well built. She bit her lower lip as she gazed at him, her cheeks beginning to color crimson. The older lady watched her, knowing that look. She looked to the man in question. Yes... she thought, he is indeed someone to desire.

Ardeth in his own way was also in a state. He could not forget those hypnotic eyes that looked into his. That or the scent of her perfume that had wafted to him as she had passed outside. She was petite, and beautiful. Not skinny, but well made in the right areas. The kind a man could enjoy exploring, and sharing the hot nights of the deserts with. The kind a man could easily lose his heart to. He watched her leave with her friends, with a backward glance his way. He bowed slightly to her and touched his lips with his fingers to her.

That night as she lay in bed, her dreams were troubled by a tall dark and handsome man, who swept her off her feet and carried her off to the desert to ravish her. She grew hot, and moaned in her sleep, twisting in her bed. She could almost feel his hands on her, his mouth. "Ardeth..." Her voice low and filled with passion.

*

Valena turned and tossed in her bed, calling with such longing to the man in her dreams. As a body bent over hers, and cold hands touched her fevered skin. A hand turned her head to the side, as the body came down onthe bed, and leaned further over her prone body. She felt lips on hers, as they tasted hers, and then they moved across her cheek and down to her neck. One hand came up and burrowed into the hair above her. A soft chuckle was heard, soft as a breeze. Soft lips touched her neck, and she felt a slight nip of teeth, and then a sharp bite, and she moaned and tried to twist away. A voice spoke in her mind. "Be still my love, sleep and dream, soon we will be together forever..." Her movements stilled as she lay there.

In the very same hotel, a man set up in his bed with a start, his body glistened with sweat. Bits of his vision still clung to him. He jumped from the bed and dressed swiftly. He knew he had to hurry. With the stealth and speed of a panther, Ardeth moved like a shadow down the hall and down the stairs. He turned the corner and moved unerringly to her door. He drew his scimitar and opened the door and rushed at the shadow by the bed. Red eyes looked over at him and moved away. Blood dribbled down his chin. Ardeth moved against him as the thing vanished in a puff of smoke.

Ardeth turned and looked down at the woman who lay on the bed. He saw even in the darkness the dark bloodstain upon her nightdress. He moved over to the bed and reached out a hand and touched her cheek and felt its velvet softness. "Ardeth..." He heard her whisper, and felt his heart skip a beat. Her dreams were of him.

He watched her for a moment, and then turned and seated himself in the chair near her bed, and began his vigil in the early hours of the night. He watched until just as the sun began its journey into the sky, turning the sky beautiful with the bright colors. Ardeth stood and moved to the door and out. Softly shutting the door, moving down the hall.

Valena woke and found herself a little weak as she got out of her bed. She moved over to the sink, and turning on the cold water, she splashed her face with it. Looking into the mirror she gasped as she spotted the place on her neck. She saw two round bloody holes, and her neck streaked with blood. She put her fingers on the wounds and flinched at the pain. A shiver ran down her spine. What was going on?

That morning as Valena went down to the dining room, she found all the tables full. She was wondering where she could sit, when she caught sight of a hand waving at her. A young woman,
sitting with a tall fair-haired man, was waving her over. She smiled and walked over to the table. "Good morning, would you mind sharing our table?" Valena smiled.

"Thank you." She sat down across from them. "I am Valena Crosby." The man looked up and smiled at her.

"A fellow American?"

"Yes, this place sure isn't like home."

"No it isn't. I am Evie and this is my husband Rick O'Connell."

"A pleasure to meet you." Valena wanted to talk, but figured she would let them let her know if they wanted to talk more. She was curious about them and why they seemed so at ease here.

"So are you here on a vacation?"

"Yes, I wanted to visit the Valley of the Kings, and see the sphinx. My brother did not like the idea of me traveling alone. He stopped over in Morocco. He is a ... he has an interest in the occult. Specializes in it."

Evie smiled and her eyes lit up, and Rick knew the look. "Is he into mummies, and things like that?"

"Oh yes, he is. He stopped because he heard that there was something in Morocco that needed his attention." She was surprised they didn't think she had a nut for a brother. Sometimes she thought she had.

"I am a archeologist. I have run into a few things here in Egypt."

"Have you ever Evie. She is the kind that draws that kind of thing. It's hard to keep her out of trouble." Evie lightly smacked him on the arm.

"He just doesn't understand. I am going on a dig tomorrow. He just worries," her husband grunted.

"I think I have reason, don't you?" The waiter came and took their orders. After he left the young couple spent the time talking to their new friend.

Valena felt eyes on her, and turned and her heart stopped. There he was, Ardeth. His eyes so deep and warm were on her face. His white smile flashed at her. He nodded his head at her. He looked over her head, and moved towards their table. Rick came to his feet, and put his hand out, and shook with Ardeth.

"Well old friend, where have you been hiding? Didn't think we would see you this trip." Ardeth smiled at Rick, and then turned to Evie, he took her hand and put it to his lips and kissed it.

"Evie. I had to come to Cairo; something is up, that I have to take care of. What about you?"

"Well Evie has another dig."

"Not....?"

"No, we wouldn't do that to you, would we old friend?"

"Ardeth, Rick has no manners at all. Ardeth this is a new friend of ours, Valena Crosby. Valena an old and dear friend, Ardeth Bay." Ardeth took her hand in his. Bowed over her fingers. His lips kissed her skin. His eyes looked into hers.

"We have met already." His voice was deep and warm, and it sent shivers down her spine. She could listen to that voice forever. She looked at the tattoos on his face, and found she liked them.

"Ardeth, join us for breakfast." He sat down next to Valena, his knee touching hers under the table. She briefly pressed her knee against his. Rick smiled knowingly at his old friend. Then exchanged looks with Evie.The four ate their meal in peace, and good conversation. After breakfast, Evie invited Valena to join them on a trip around town. She had some shopping in mind. Rick rolled his eyes. Ardeth kept his eyes on the girl beside him, as he spoke.

"I am sorry Evie, but Valena is doing me the honor of letting me show her around." He stood and held out his hand to her. Taking it, he turned and led her out the door.

"I hope you will let me show you my country." She turned and looked up at him, and smiled.

"I would like that very much." He put his arm around her shoulders and led her through the early morning crowd.

Ardeth walked, matching his stride to her shorter one. He held her small hand in his larger one. He took her towards the Khan-el-Khalili, the bazaar. The bazaar was crowded with the early morning crowds of shoppers and tourist. The canvas-covered streets, kept the stalls in shade, and men and women merchants in various colored robes, some with turbans and some with veils, sat on stools outside, and hawked their wares. From robes of every color and fabric to handmade jewelry. Rugs and vases too. Shops held gold and silver, and fine jewelry for the right price. Valena looked on with awe, as she walked.

Her companion smiled down at her, seeing the look on her face, the childlike look as she tried to take everything in. She looked up at him, and smiled at him, and stumbled as she looked into and became lost in his eyes. He reached out and kept her from falling.

People who saw Ardeth coming got out of his way, for the imposing figure with his weapons and commanding presence and dangerous aura, made him feared. For they knew what he was. Valena felt safe in his presence, also felt the envy of many women, both native and tourist who stared at the handsome man. Unaware of the looks from the male population sent her way.

She stopped to look at something and her companion stopped and waited. There were beautiful robes, of silk. One was the color of the sunrises in the desert. She reached out a hand and touched it. Ardeth spoke rapidly to the merchant, and listened to the answer. Looking at the face of the beaming merchant as he took out a bag and began to take down the robe and place it in the bag. With a bow he handed it to her. She smiled at him. Ardeth handed him some money, and the man as he took it said something and motioned to her.

"Thank you Ardeth, but you didn't have to. What did he say?" She asked as they moved on. He looked down at her, and touched her cheek.

"You are welcome, it will look stunning on you. You will think of me when you wear it, huh?"

"Yes I will. But what did he say?"

"Curious little thing aren't you? Maybe I should teach you the language. I would like to be your teacher. I could teach you many things." She smiled and blushed.

"Ardeth!"

"Okay, he said you were as beautiful as a desert flower, after a rain." He took her hand, and gently tugged. "Come along, I have much to show you."

Later that evening Valena found herself sitting in a felucca traveling slowly down the Nile. A robed man was in the front of the small boat and kept to himself. Ardeth had shared the beauty of the sunset with her. He had sat with her on the seat, his arm around  her, her head on his shoulder. He had told her a story. Now she still sat with him, seeing the lights off in the distance, and the pyramids on the other side. She felt so contented where she sat. She wondered about reincarnation, and about soul mates. She felt as though she had known this man forever. Could it be possible? She turned her head and saw him watching her.

He reached out his hand, and touched her shoulder, and turned her to face him. Her heart began its race, as he moved slightly, his head coming down to hers. His lips lightly brushed hers, and then he moved back and looked into her eyes. Her lips parted and his head moved again. His lips like a hawk swooped down on hers, and devoured hers. His lips were warm and heavenly, as they moved on hers. She put her hand up and into his hair, pulling his head closer. His tongue darted inside her warm mouth, and challenged her tongue to a duel. Lights flashed, and music played in her mind. She was unaware of anything but him, and this kiss. He pulled her closer to his body, wrapping his arms around her, and was sure he felt an earthquake, as he kissed her.

He pulled back, and looked at her with his dark eyes filled with desire for this woman. He saw the same in hers, and wanted nothing more than to possess her, then and there. But knew custom would not allow that. Not in public. He saw her take a shaky breath, and smiled at her.

"Your kiss is like a heady wine, it intoxicates me. I am in danger of over embibing."

"Ardeth, you have no idea what your touch does to me. I feel the heat of the sun, when it is cold; I see bright light when it is dark. I feel lightning and thunder strike me." Valena reached out and caressed his cheek with one hand, and the other moved to his chest and over his heart. "Allah is good, he has brought you across the sea, to my land.  But you could not last in this harsh land."

"In my country women have followed their men, to deserts, and  swamps, and to sea, through all hardships. Side by side, the land was built by these people in that way.'

"You should think about it. You would live in a tent, and no fancy things, like you are used to. We have no winter, only heat. I am not a Christian, and will not change that, even for you."

"I do not ask it of you. Tell me Ardeth what do you want?" He took his warm hand and put it to her cheek. The other over her heart.

"I want your heart, and I want you by my side forever. To have my children. To grow old together." He kissed her on the lips. "You have my heart, forever it is yours. I would give you anything in my power to give you."

"You have given me the greatest gift, Ardeth, your heart. I love you. I believe we were destined for each other. I would do anything for you."

"Then my love, will you return with me to my camp and be my wife?" Her eyes filled, as she looked up at him, and her voice was filled with emotion.

"Forever, till my last breath and beyond."

"Through this life and all time." He wiped her tears away, with gentle fingers. He pulled her close and kissed her, with all the love he felt inside. She returned that love and they sealed that special love with a kiss that rivaled all kisses since time began.

On the bank in the darkness, a tall pale man watched the boat as it lazily traveled down the Nile. His blood red eyes, watched with hatred as the tall Med-Jai leader dared to touch what was his. He spoke words of ancient Egypt to the god Set, the god of evil. Asking for help in destroying the enemy.

The large moon was shining down on the couple in the horse drawn carriage. The man in black held his lady close and looked up at the stars, seeing one of them shooting across the sky. He made a wish upon it. Valena snuggled up to his side, and her arms encircled him. Her head on his shoulder, feeling the warmth on her cheek.

Ardeth felt something on the wind, and his eyes darted around the darkness seeking what he senses felt. He sat up and felt Valena sit up, half asleep and looking at him.

"What is it Ardeth?"

"Don't know yet, just felt something wrong." He nodded out in the darkness. "Out there somewhere." She was instantly alert, and searching as well.

The driver suddenly collapsed in his seat and the horse bolted and the carriage turned at an angle, tipping it over. Throwing both passengers out. Ardeth grabbed her, and held her close to his body, and as he hit the ground with her on top, he rolled, and released her.

He came quickly to his feet, one of his scimitars in his hand. As Valena came to her feet, he pulled her behind him. "Stay near me, my love." She nodded though she knew he couldn't see it. She felt the evil as it rode the night breeze like a glider, towards them.

They did not have long to wait, as four men came out of the pitch-blackness of the side of the old abandoned building. They were all armed and also wore black. They moved towards them, as Ardeth let go of Valena's hand. He moved to meet them, with a battle cry of his people.

Blades flashed in the moonlight, as the sound of cold steel rang on the night. Ardeth pulled his second scimitar and struck out with both hands. He fought like a man possessed. He struck at the nearest man with one weapon, and as the man tried to block him, Ardeth's other blade slipped under and cut the man across the stomach disemboweling him. He fell to the sands his life's blood staining the sands. He turned and struck out at the man to his left, and the man blocked his strike with his own blade. He struck out and felt the strength in the sword arm of Ardeth. At the same time Ardeth brought one blade up and blocked a blade coming down at his head. He turned the blade and as the other one turned he disarmed the other man. Turning to the other man, who struck at that moment and cut Ardeth across the ribs, but the mad-jai leader never slowed as he fought.

Valena watched the battle; inside she was afraid for Ardeth. "Valena." the voice she had heard before somewhere. It sent chills down her spine. She turned and there her eyes widened and she thought for sure she would faint. She opened her mouth but couldn't scream. "Come to me." She shook her head no, and backed up. He, whatever he was came towards her. Suddenly he was right in front of her, with his hand on her shoulder. "You are mine, not his. I brought you here to Egypt. He shall not stop us this time." His hand came up and took her chin in his cold hand. He leaned down and she could not move at all. His lips came down on hers, and he kissed her. She felt such revulsion at the touch. She wanted to be sick, and on him as a matter of fact. He moved his head back.

"You will forget him.ö She stood there thinking it was a nightmare, come to life. What can I do, she thought. I will die, I know it, this evil thing will kill me. He bent his head again, and she saw to her horror, the fangs as he opened his mouth. No, no! She thought. It can't be, her blood rushing as his lips touched her neck, and she felt the bite. The suction on her neck, and the blood being drawn from her body.

Ardeth stuck again and cut into the neck of the man, who came from the right, feeling a spray of blood as it spewed from the wound. He turned to face the other man, the last standing, and the man ran. Ardeth turned around seeking Valena. He saw her held in the arms of the monster Merenptah. Servant of the God Set. A blood drinker. He drew and threw his dagger and watched it impale into the back of the monster. Who reared his head and looked at him. He spoke to Valena, and she answered him in ancient Egyptian. He vanished into nothing, as he did she collapsed to the ground.

Ardeth rushed to her side, and came down on his knees, and lifted her into his arms. Even in the moonlight he could see she was sheet white. He took a shaky breath and spoke, with dread. 'Valena?' He put one hand up and with two fingers he touched her neck, and felt the faint pulse that beat there. His fingers came away sticky with blood. He lifted her up into his arms and began the long walk back to town, and help. She lay limp and unresponsive in his arms, and he prayed that Allah would be merciful to them.

He stopped in front of an old house, and he called out, and the door opened and a man came out, and seeing Ardeth, rushed over to him, motioning him to come inside. They spoke as the man lead him inside, and to a room in back.

*

She lay on the narrow bed, in the dimly let room. Her breath coming in shallow gasp as she fought for each breath. Unaware of the worried man at her side. The man in black sat beside the bed, holding her hand, feeling the coldness that had a grip on her flesh. He spoke to her and got no response.

"Valena, I promise you I will destroy Merenptah. As I told you, no one touches you but me. You are mine, and I won't let anyone hurt you. Come back to me." He leaned and kissed her fingers and offered up more prayers to Allah, and wished he knew how to offer up prayers to hers, if it would help her.

The door opened and a doctor came in, and walked over to the bed, he checked her eyes, and her pulse, and then her heart. Finally her neck, and Ardeth heard his hiss of breath as he saw the marks. He turned to the man at her side.

"She is very ill. She is close to death this night. She needs to replace the blood that was taken from her. We need a donor."

"You can have mine, anything I have is hers." The doctor looked into the eyes of pain and nodded. He had not seen any of the Med-Jai before, only heard of them. Formidable, if he was an example of the famous guards. He opened his bag and took out a plastic bag, with tubing and needles. He motioned to Ardeth who undid his shirt at the wrist and rolled it up. He watched as the doctor took the needle and inserted it into his vein. Then watched him do the same to Valena.

"It will take about 20 minutes. Just sit quietly, till then."The doctor then moved to the other side of the bed, and taking out more stuff, he began to clean the bite marks. "I will take care of your wounds in a minute, they need to be cleaned and bandaged." Ardeth turned to his cousin standing in the door, and gave him a stern look.

As the sun came bursting into the window in all its glorious color, Ardeth looked up and stood, stretching his tall frame. He could rest now. But he wouldn't, he had things to do. A knock came at the door and he went to answer it himself. There stood Evie and Rick.

After he explained his plan, and what was happening, he and Rick left and Evie stayed with Valena, as there were no women in the household of his cousin. He wanted to know she was taken care of, and he trusted Evie.

As Rick and Ardeth rode out into the desert, on several of Ardeth's horses. Rick wondered why he let himself get involved when there were evil- mummies, curses, and now vampires. What next? "Hey old buddy, are you sure about this, that we can destroy him?"

"Yes, if we can find him." He nodded towards the large group of Warriors headed their way. He had sent for them last night. "We must hurry, before it is too late, to save her."

"What is the story of this Merenptah?"

"This Merenptah was a great warrior, and he was chosen to marry an Egyptian princess, he refused her, because he was in love with another. But she was in love with another warrior Amenmesse. So Merenptah and the other warrior fought. Merenptah lost, and he called on Set to help him, offered his services in payment. Set gave him revenge. He let Merenptah kill his rival, and in doing so lost the woman he loved, for she killed herself to be with her love. Set turned him into a blood sucker, to sleep until the day she was reborn again."

"You are that other warrior arenÆt you?"

"Yes. We have been lovers through out time. No others have come between us. It won't now either."

"Evie will love this story."

"Yes, I am sure she will. We must be back by dark." They rode up to the warriors and Rick listened to his friend talk to his men, and then they rode on. As much as Rick hated getting near the monsters, evil spirits and such, he would not abandon his friend.

Evie sat by the bed, sipping a cup of sweet tea, and watched the girl in the bed, who had begun to toss in her sleep. "Valena?"

"Evie?" Her voice was light as a feather, and her eyes drifted open as she looked towards Evie. Evie smiled at her, and moved closer.

"How do you feel?"

"Tired, and strange. I donÆt feel like Valena, and yet I am."

"I understand, Ardeth told me what happened. That monster caused this doesn't know who he is dealing with." Valena looked around the room, searching.

"Where is he?"

"He is out searching for Merenptah, he and Rick, and the Med-Jai are out there. They will be back soon."

"He will kill Ardeth, and I don't want to be a vampire. If he gets near again, destroy me completely, please..." Evie sat on the bed and patted the girl's hand.

"Don't give up, you have a man who is unlike any other. He fights for you, and you will win." She smiled. "Well Valena, are you staying here in Egypt?" she asked changing the subject.

"Yes, I am staying with Ardeth. I cannot live without him. He is so handsome, and sexy, and wonderful and he ..."

"I know, I am married but I know how utterly gorgeous he is, and special. Don't tell Rick, okay?" Valena nodded. "What did you do last night?"

"We went on a ride down the Nile, it was wonderful, I have never felt like that about anyone before."

"Sounds familiar to me. I am glad you are staying, we can visit and all. That man of yours needs a wife and family. Rick says I can't stop matchmaking."

Just as the began to fall into the Nile, Valena looked out the window worriedly, and shuttered with the fear deep inside. She could feel the call deep inside her, the pull. If he drank again, it would be too late for her. Where was Ardeth? Ardeth, my love, where are you? I am afraid without you. She called silently to him.

Ardeth looked at the sky, seeing the sun extinguish itself in the Nile. He let out a curse in his language, and urged his horse to an all out gallop. Rick pushed his own horse to catch up to his
friend, for he felt the release of the evil that had waited for the night. They had to hurry. Half the warriors traveled with their leader, and the others kept their search.

Time slipped away as Ardeth found memories become real as the scene before him slid away, replaced with the past. He slipped from his horse, and fell to the sands, and was lost in the past. Rick pulled up, and dismounted and went over to his friend's side. He touched his friend's shoulder, and got no response he lay as though dead.

The Nile was flowing by, the trees offered shade to the young woman who sat beneath. The heat was intense, and the water in her cup warm. She watched the water flow past. She was startled by a rich warm voice speaking to her from behind. She turned her head and smiled at the tall handsome man who came towards her. His robes pale, his dark curly hair on his shoulders, he moved with such animal grace. He returned her smile, as he came down at her side. One hand reached up and touched her damp cheek, and his lips claimed hers and drank of their sweetness.

She put up her hand and touched his neck, and pulled him closer, as they collapsed onto the mat that lay upon the sand. She felt his hands as they moved down to her neck and shoulders. Traveling down to her breast, and one hand caressed her through her robe, and the other, grabbed the end of her robe and inched it up her thighs. Her fingers splayed onto his chest, and rubbed the firm flesh, feeling his heart beating against them. He lifted up briefly and pulled his own robe off in one fluid motion, and moved to do the same with hers.

She gazed at him, and no matter how many times she looked upon her love; it was like the first time all over again. The flesh the color of honey, and firm over the muscles and bone. He was well made; Allah had blessed her with such a lover. Her hands came up and again pulled his head to hers. She caught his lower lip and pulled it into her mouth as she gently sucked on it. Feeling his hands taking possession of her body. She welcomed the hands and the body, to join hers. Such magic in his hands, and body. She could in his arms fly higher than the highest-flying bird.

He touched her body that he knew so well, and the softness that rivaled the finest silk. He loved her with all his soul, and the moments away from her were agony. He pulled away slightly and gazed into her passion filled eyes, and saw the green blaze with love for him. He was the bravest warrior known, yet the only thing he feared was to lose her, and she the only thing that could defeat him. He pulled her into his embrace and took her down onto the mat, their passion hotter than the sun that burned the sands.

Merenptah watched from a distance, and his face hardened with hate, as he watched. He would kill Amenmesse, and then he would have Meryet for his own. She would see that he was the man she belonged to. He was the greatest warrior, no matter what others thought.

After, the two lovers lay on the mat, and held each other. The sky seemed bluer, and the grass and tree seemed greener, and the Nile noisier as it moved. All senses were heightened, and they felt content, and sated for the moment. Amenmesse on his elbow, looked down at Meryet. He traced her face with a fingertip. When he came to her lips, she bit him.

"Meryet, I love you. My love is more than the sands of the deserts. It is stronger than the winds. It will outlast the pyramids." She smiled up at him, and looked into those eyes, and felt a sudden shadow cross her vision. She felt a change, an ending, and didn't want to accept what she had suddenly known without a doubt. "What is it my love?"

"It is nothing my love, soon you will have to leave, and I will be without you. I have a surprise for you, my handsome warrior."

"Yes, what could it be? A new robe? A horse? A sweet?"

"I carry your child." He sat up and stared at her, his mouth open. He felt the joy well up into his heart, and overflow. The pride in his child, he had just learned of. He would share a child with his love.

"Meryet, you are wonderful, such a gift, it rivals the stars in the night sky. Thank you." He leaned and kissed her gently on the lips. "I will hire someone to look out for you, while I am away, in battle. We will marry."

Ardeth's eyes snapped open, and looked into the concerned eyes of Rick. He came off the sand swiftly, and moved to his horse, and mounted with fluid ease. Rick hurrying to catch up.

They rode like the wind, the sound of the horses racing across the land, in a fight for time. Ardeth understand his visions, and that Merenptah had used it to slow him down.

The house was quiet as they rode up in a cloud of reddish dust. Ardeth and Rick jumped off and ran inside. Stopping just within. Evie stood there, and ran into Rick's arms. He held her close, as she closed her eyes and clung to him. Ardeth looked around the room and he knew.

"He was here, he took her, a cross would not stop him." Ardeth looked at her and Rick."He is not Christian, so it wouldn't. We must find her."

"But where?"

"I know where Rick, we are off to the pyramid of Khatre."

"At the foot of the Sphinx?" Ardeth nodded and raced outside. Speaking rapidly to his warriors, and mounting in a leap. They rode off, into the desert.

Valena stood facing Merenptah in a secret room in the pyramid. He looked at her and smiled. His eyes reminded her of a ferret. She felt the evil in him, and knew the battle had begun. He motioned around the room at the riches there.

"All this and more, my love. Finally we are together."

"We are not together, now or ever." She motioned to the statue of the god he served. "Even he didn't stop us from finding our way back together again, even after so much time. You are not Amenmesse." He screamed and threw a dagger towards her; it came close to her head, and bounced off the wall.

"I am better than him, he is nothing. He has no power, he doesn't have you either."

"He does have me, in all that ways that matter. You know nothing of what a real man is." She looked with contempt at him, and motioned to his body as it stood before her in a loin cloth of red. "What could you offer any woman, that she would want?"

He lunged for her, in his great anger, and grabbed her. She fought back and tried to move them nearer to the dagger she had seen on the table to her right.

She lay on the cool floor, her body screaming in pain. She had lost the battle, and now the victor stood over her, and smiled. He held a goblet to his lips, and drank from it the blood of her veins. Oh Ardeth, my love he has won, and soon I will seek you out to drink of your precious blood. He will soon bite me for the final time, and then I will be no more yours. But belong to the night, and this thing. She lay and drifted into a light sleep. She had no fight left in her body, just a prayer that she would find a way to destroy herself, and not harm Ardeth.

That night at the palace, the tables were laden with food, and wine. Thick and soft cushions littered the floors. Incense gave off a meryl fragrance. Slaves around the room moved quietly among the guest and served them. The Pharaoh was leaning on his couch and a young woman sat with him, he was smiling as he watched his guest. His daughter was to be wed to Merenptah tomorrow, and he was glad. Tonight they celebrated. That and the battle that his warriors had won several days before. There were a hundred warriors present this night. They laughed and drank, and ate of the rich foods, and busied themselves with the young girls available for them.

Anskhiti sat gazing at the man she was to marry, and saw that he ignored her, and seemed interested in someone at the table across the room. Meryet rose from her seat and smiled at the man beside her. She moved to the center of the room, as the music played. She began to move to the sounds. She thought only to heat the blood of her beloved, with her dance of the veils. But she caught not only that which she sought, but another, in the form of Merenptah. His gaze was hot, and he began to sweat as he watched. He felt his body answer his eyes and thoughts. He knew he would go mad if he didn't have her soon. He grabbed his goblet and drained it.

Amenmesse watched her with a fever; he knew she danced for him. He had not known she could do this dance. He watched her body sway and move with such grace. He looked at her, and as her eyes met his, he let them speak for him.

Later as Meryet went for some privacy after dinner, she was confronted by the bridegroom. He blocked her way. "I have been wanting to talk to you Meryet."

"You should speak with your woman. I belong to another." He touched a lock of her hair, and bent down and took a deep breath of skin he liked the flowery scent.

"You belong to me. I am the one meant for you. I offer you riches, and children who will one day be great warriors. I offer you my heart."

"Do not do this, do not hurt Anskhiti, she cares for you. I don't," she spoke softly and tried to go around. He grabbed her by the arm. Another hand, a strong masculine hand came down on his. The strong grip tightened until he released her.

"You dishonor me, Merenptah, she is my woman. You will not touch her." Amenmesse stood tall, his eyes cold and hard, and burning into the other mans. His hand on his blade.

"Then you shall die!" He rushed the younger man, his blade drawn and began to slash at him. Amenmesse faced him. They circled each other. Blades clashed, and the sound brought a coldness to Meryet's heart. She watched as they swung the heavy blades at each other.

In only a few minutes Amenmesse had drawn blood, and had Merenptah on the floor, with blood draining from his body. He looked up and spoke in the ancient tongue to Set. Suddenly the room was filled with scorpions and they moved swiftly to Amenmesse and swarmed him. He was silent as he stood there, as Meryet screamed. His eyes met hers just before he was totally covered by the evil things.

"I will join you my love, wait for me." She picked up a dagger that he had dropped, and she brought the knife in and up under her ribcage, and twisted. She was dead before she hit the ground. Her hand reaching for her lover who lay just out of reach of her. Merenptah screamed as he watched her die. Then he smiled, he knew their time would come, he could wait.

The twenty men rode up to the Sphinx and dismounted and started into the Pyramid. The passages were lit by torches and Ardeth lead them into it. He knew where to go, and he turned and traveled down the passages. Until he came to an apparently solid wall. He touched certain symbols and the wall slowly and silently slid open.

Inside stood his old nemeses Merenptah, and there at his feet lay Valena. Merenptah smiled his bloody smile and motioned to the walls, and dark recesses of it. Out of it came mummies and they headed towards the Med-Jai warriors. Ardeth moved towards his enemy. He drew his blade and moved on catlike feet.

"This time, you shall be the one who leaves this earth."

"Think so do you? I had hoped to save you, for now. Until Meryet changes and then see the horror in your eyes when she takes your blood."

"I would gladly give it to her, she will never be a monster in my eyes, no matter what you do to her."

"You are a fool! She does not know of the other women in the villages as we traveled. You like all women." Valenas' head came up slightly from the floor. Her eyes found Ardeth's.

"I know he would never do that to me." Ardeth smiled at her, his eyes speaking of what he would not say now. She saw and understood the unspoken words clearly.

The sound of a battle surrounded them, as the warriors fought the mummies. Ardeth half heard the sounds of battle, as he watched his enemy.

"I will kill you myself this time, I can do it without Set." He picked up his weapon from the table and faced the younger man. Ardeth had already drawn his, the air crackled with energy that surrounded him. He felt the power inside him, he would not, could not lose this battle.

Their blades met in-between them, and their battle began. Merenptah struck out fast and hard; he struck Ardeth across the upper thigh. A line of blood colored his black pants. Ardeth struck out, and swiped his blade down and struck Merenptah across the shoulder, and watched as the evil mans' arm fell from his body. No blood came from the wound. Ardeth struck again and struck the man and cut his right ear off. He saw it sitting on the mans shoulder. Merenptah lunged at his enemy, rage engulfing him. He struck back and cut Ardeth across the chest. He reached out a hand and touched the blood swiftly and raised it to his lips. Touched it with his tongue.

"Umm good. Didn't think you would be so sweet." Ardeth at that moment, in total calm, struck and cut Merenptah in two. The body fell separately.Ardeth took a look at the body and watched it turn to dust. He moved over to Valena and gently lifted her up and held her close to his body. She opened her eyes.

"He is no more, my love. You are safe." She tried to smile and it turned into a grimace. She reached out a hand and touched his chest where his tunic was torn and blood seeped out of his wound.

"You are hurt."

"I will be fine, you I am worried about. I want you well, for I plan to take you to my tent and make up for thousands of years of love and passion long denied."

"Oh Ardeth. I love you so much." He leaned and gently kissed her lips. Then picking her up, he stood and faced his men, who stood waiting for him. He turned and led them the way they had come. He held the woman he loved close, and knew it was for all eternity. She lay her head on his shoulder, and let herself think of what was to come. Their future, no matter what, as long as they were together, she would face anything. He glanced down at her. He would take care of her now and always. He loved her. As the sun began it's rise into the morning sky. The Mad-Jai rode into the desert, following their leader to their home.


THE END