Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,035
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,267

The Last Hurrah

Summary:

Logan is breathing his dying breaths. He's grown old and has been left with nothing but his memories.

Work Text:


The Last Hurrah
by James Logan Howlett

 

 

Logan lay in his bed in the little cabin that he'd owned just off the now delapidated mansion.  Everyone was gone and all he was left with were memories and ghosts of those he loved.

He'd aged considerably in the twenty years since the X-Men had been disbanded and died off, whether it be from old age or from the ravages of war.

As he closed his eyes, he remembered.  Silver Fox.  God she had been beautiful.  Even the end, even with her body being mutilated, the one thing that had barely been touched was that lovely face of hers, her cold dead eyes staring blankly into nothingness.

He'd held her close and wept for the loss of his wife for what felt like hours.  He never truly got over her death.  He always remembered her...always held her close to his heart.

Then Mariko.  God his beautiful Mariko.  How he had mourned her...how much guilt he'd felt after killing her. He could still remember her gurgles of death...the final sigh as she released her last breath.  He hadn't wanted to kill her, but he wanted to end her misery. His heart had broken that day and he didn't ever think it would mend.

But it did. And he fell in love again.  With the person he least expected to fall in love with.  His best friend, his teammate.  Remy.  God those eyes still haunted him.  Those deep, soulful, demonic eyes.  Those eyes he loved and adored...the ones he constantly got lost in.

Rubbing his finger over his ring, he smiled softly as he remembered.  They'd been married a wonderful 40 years before his beloved passed on. And he still remembered both days with clear vividity.

*Flashback*

Logan was standing at the alter nervously, Kurt smiling at him and holding back a chuckle as he watched the old man dancing back and forth nervously, from one foot to the other.  It almost reminded him of one of those chattering monkeys begging for change, dancing back an forth for their wares. Almost. No one would dare comparing Logan a monkey to his face...at least...not unless they had a death wish.

After a moment, the Wedding March began playing and all of the X-Men stood as Remy was walked down the aisle by his Papa. Jean Luc and Mattie had both flown up for the wedding.  None of them could be happier at that moment then Remy and Logan, though Jean Luc and Mattie were a close second.  Mattie sniffled in the front row, tears of joy streaming down her wrinkled face as she watched Jean Luc lead him down.

Logan stood riveted as he watched his soon to be husband walking slowly, those red on black eyes shining brightly with love and happiness.  He looked every inch like the blushing bride.  He couldn't help but smile and finally, when the song was finished and Remy was at the end of the aisle, standing by his side, Logan relaxed, taking Remy's hand in his own, unable to stop looking at him.

The wedding went smoothly, and it was rather short by Catholic standards...which Logan didn't mind one bit.  He even made a slight goof when he kissed him just after they said their 'I do's', not even waiting for Kurt to say.  Kurt ended up laughing. "You may now kiss your husband...again" he said once he introduced them as husband and husband.

Logan blushed and grinned before kissing Remy again, loving how swollen and plump the younger man's lips were from the last kiss.  The crowd was cheering loudly, but he couldn't hear anything but the hitch in Remy's breath and the barely audible moan...very sultry...and he almost couldn't wait to get the reception over with.  Then the slim fingers grabbed onto his neck before running through his hair as he tried pulling away.  He held there for a moment more before releasing him so they could both get some air.

*End Flashback*

He laughed softly even as he coughed from it, his throat rattling as he struggled to breath a few more breaths.  He remembered just how wonderful that night had been.  Most of their nights had been, though there had been moments filled with sadness when Mattie and then Jean Luc passed.  They had both wept for the loss, but Remy had been wounded the most.

Still, even towards the end, they never lost their passion for one another.  Though the nights weren't nearly as adventurous, they were filled with just as much love as the first time.  And then his love had slipped through his fingers like sand.

*Flashback*

Logan smiled sadly, tears falling down his face as he sniffled, laying down with his husband, holding his barely warm hands.  He could hear the rattling in his chest.  Remy was old now though.  And Logan could see in his eyes that he was ready.

It was hard for him, seeing the barely perceptible pain as each breath became more painful to take then the last.  But Remy let off nothing but peace and love for Logan.  Remy opened his eyes one last time and smiled, lifting the hand that wasn't held up to Logan's face, gently brushing away the tears.  "Je t'aime cher," he whispered in his craggily voice before his hand dropped away, his eyes burning brightly for just one last moment before fading into darkness.

Logan broke down and held Remy close as he wept, feeling the pain of loss more keenly then he'd felt in years. He fell asleep like that, clutching the body of his dead husband...only for a moment though.  Just a moment.  And he dreamt of that young man again, smiling and happy.  "I'll see you again love," he whispered when he woke before placing a tender kiss to his lips, drying his tears for the final time.

*End Flashback*

Logan smiled again, tears running down his face before he breathed.  Opening his once sharp blue eyes, he smiled. "I see you again love," he whispered before taking one last, shuttering breath.  Logan finally got what he wanted.  He went home...he was at peace.

(FIN)