Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
496
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,533

Circle of Friends

Summary:

Nathan encounters prejudice, but this time, he's not alone.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Circle of Friends
by Pirate Turner

 

        All heads turned to look up at the newcomer as the man stepped out of the shadows and into the dim light of the saloon. Nathan braced himself, as he always did when entering a new location, for the prejudice that would undoubtedly come.

        "Darkie," one man growled, and then it started.

        "We don't want your kind here!"

        "Get outta here, negar!"

        "This ain't no place for your kind!"

        Voices barraged him on all sides, but then one elegant voice broke smoothly through them all. He sat at a table in the corner, his cards folded before him and placed in a neat pile face down. His words were calm, but his emerald eyes shot dangerous fire. "Gentlemen, abandon your prejudices in mah friend's direction. He accompanies me this night."

        More ugly words followed, almost drowning out Ezra's voice entirely. Nathan took one step back as men began to rise. One man raised a knife, then cried out in pain as another knife suddenly dug into the back of his hand. He dropped his own knife and glared across the saloon at Ezra.

        It was then that the sounds of more boots stomping off the dirt came, and Nathan and Ezra exchanged a smile. "As Ah said, he accompanies me."

        "And us," a firm voice spoke from the shadows. A moment later a man as bold as the voice appeared, his hand resting upon Nathan's shoulder. Four more men followed Chris, each with their hands already upon their guns, and quickly the townsfolk backed down.

        A final shiver went through Nathan, and at last he calmed. He smiled at his friends as they walked around him. Chris released his shoulder, and Josiah patted it instead. Together they moved through the saloon, pausing only long enough for Chris to collect Ezra's knife, and Nathan felt as protected as he always did within their circle. He said a silent prayer of thanks, but not a word was spoken amongst the men of the ugliness that had tried to break loose. When they reached Ezra's table, he and Nathan looked at each other. "Thank you."

        Ezra smiled, flashing his gold tooth, and tipped his Stetson to him. The other players had already deserted him, and he gestured to the emptied poker table with a flamboyant hand. "Ah was beginnin' to think y'all would nevah arrive. Care to partake in a game of chance?"

        Laughter rippled amongst the men as they sat down around him. "Ain't so sure that's a smart idea," Vin drawled.

        "With Ezra, you know it ain't!" Buck exclaimed.

        "Ya done wiped this week's paycheck out last week, Ezra," JD complained.

        "You should have known better than to play against him, Brother Dunne," Josiah remarked to which JD meekly hung his head a little lower.

        Nathan grinned broadly at the blonde gambler, however, as he said simply, "Count me in," and took his seat in his circle of friends.

 

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.