Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
934
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,352

The Christmas Parade

Summary:

Prompt/summary: NCISFF challenge - Ziva Got Run Over by a Reindeer
Warning: Character death and pure silliness - quite how putting my candle arch up inspired this I will never know!

Work Text:

The Christmas Parade

"Hey guys," Abby rushed into the bullpen. "Now that you've wrapped up your case you can come to the Christmas Parade, come on there's still time." The enthusiastic Goth forensic scientist bounced up and down between their desks. "Oh come on, say you're coming, Ducky and Jimmy are, you can't miss it again this year. Gibbs, tell them they have to come, Ziva's never seen the Christmas Parade, have you Ziva?" She turned to the other woman. "You want to see it don't you Ziva?"

Gibbs often found it hard not to be amused by Abby. Her enthusiasm was infectious and she was right, the case was wrapped, the reports were in and, at 1600, it was late enough for him to dismiss his agents. It was Saturday and they weren't the on call team for the weekend and the evening parade didn't start for another hour, there was plenty of time for them to wander over and find a place to stand to watch the parade, it just wasn't something that he'd ever planned on doing.

"What is this parade and why should I see it," Ziva asked puzzled.

Tony rolled his eyes at Tim and Tim smirked back at him, shaking his head.

"Oh Ziva you can't miss it, you really have to experience it, it's a Christmas tradition and Santa's sleigh is going to be pulled by real reindeer this year. Come on guys, you really have to come." Abby was almost quivering with excitement and Gibbs shook his head in amusement.

"Okay Abs. Come on everyone, drinks are on me afterwards." Gibbs smiled with real affection. They'd all worked hard on this case, it had been a difficult one and it wasn't often he indulged his agents.

 

(an hour later - the corner of Constitution Avenue and 4th Street)

 

"Where's Ziva?" Abby asked, looking around.

"She insisted on driving so she's still looking for somewhere to park," Tim replied with a grin.

"Oh dear." Abby pulled a face, mentally calculating the cost of the parking ticket she knew Ziva would find on her windscreen on her return. She had firsthand experience of Ziva's parking. It wasn't pretty.

"If she doesn't hurry up she's going to miss the parade," Tony noted with a smirk, as a marching band heralded the start of the parade.

"No, we can stand here and watch it come past on Constitution Avenue and then run down 4th Street just in time to see it come past again on Independence Avenue. I've got it all planned, but where's Ziva?" Abby whined.

They stood in the cold, initially only having half an eye on the parade and half an eye out for their colleague but soon they were drawn in to the gaily decorated and lit floats and the characters walking along handing out candy and other freebies.

"There's Santa's sleigh," Abby bounced up and down with excitement, clapping her hands. "Oh look at the reindeer, there must be about ten of them," she squealed. "Oh and there's Ziva. Ziva, Ziva, over here," she waved her hands in the air and Ziva waved back from the other side of the road. Starting to run towards them, she dived out into the road, intent on crossing over between the floats which were moving so slowly that there was no reason why she wouldn't make it safely across...

"Ziva...look out," Abby screamed.

The next few minutes seemed to happen in slow motion for those watching. At Abby's shout Ziva stopped, turning suddenly when she heard the sound of hooves. Either her running or Abby's shouting had spooked the reindeer which had started to bolt. Ziva could only stand there, like a rabbit caught in the headlights of a car.

As the reindeer ploughed into her the tough assassin was knocked easily to the ground, she disappeared from the eyes of those watching as the driver fought to gain control over his wayward animals. Unable to stop the sleigh, he steered to the side to try and avoid the body of the agent lying in the road. 50 yards later, he managed to bring the sleigh to a standstill, the reindeer pawing nervously at the tarmac.

Ducky was the first to step forward. He looked down at the mangled body, head and chest crushed by the weight of the animals' hooves.

"Oh my...oh dear girl, you really didn't stand a chance did you. You know, Jethro, this reminds me of..."

"DUCK!" Gibbs yelled, stepping up beside him.

Abby burst into tears, burying her head on Tim's shoulder and clutching hold of him tightly, while Jimmy crouched down beside the body.

Tony just stared, unable to move, unable to do anything. The arrival of two Metro cops broke him out of his daze and he walked over to meet them.

"Federal Agents," Tony flipped his identification out. "We'll handle the investigation, thank you." He glared at the Metro cops who had rushed onto the scene. They backed off immediately and Tony turned, confidently expecting Gibbs to be standing behind him glaring at them. He looked back in confusion when he found that the senior agent was still standing over beside Ducky, before shrugging and walking over to join them.

They all stood there, just staring. Ziva had survived months of abuse stuck in the terrorist camp, it seemed impossible that she had finally be brought down by a reindeer. Eventually Jimmy looked up at his mentor. "You know Dr Mallard, I said we should have brought the truck."