Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
552
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,150

Poor Chuck

Summary:

answer to location challenge using hospital -- McHale bit his lip, hard, trying not to laugh.

Work Text:

Carpenter and McHale sat in the waiting area at the base hospital. Carpenter sat forward, his elbows resting on his knees. He turned his hat over in his hands. He sighed and shook his head. “How could you let them go off by themselves?”

McHale sat with his back resting against the wall. He stared at the ceiling. “We were following the Captain’s plan, Carpy.”

Carpenter glanced at McHale and lowered his voice. “Still, you knew better.”

McHale shrugged. “You know Old Leadbottom. He was trying to prove that Chuck is unfit for combat and he got them both captured by natives.” He grinned. “And Chuck saved the day. He got them out of the village before we had a chance to rescue them.”

“You know how he did it?”

McHale chuckled. “He tried to tell me but Binghamton kept telling him to shut up.”

Carpenter straightened up. “You think they’re gonna be okay?”

“Yeah, the cannibals didn’t have a chance to pop them in the pot yet,” McHale answered deadpan.

“What about the red and yellow spots on their faces?”

McHale waved that off. “Another one of those tropical diseases. I’ve had most of ‘em. That won’t be a big deal.”

Carpenter rolled his eyes. “Then why did you tow the life raft and make them ride inside it?”

“Cause there was no use in exposing the rest of the crew,” McHale answered easily.

The doctor approached and they both stood. “How’s the Captain?” Carpenter asked anxiously.

“He and Ensign Parker have contracted benga fever.”

Carpenter clutched at the doctor’s arm. “Is that serious?”

The doctor shook his head. “No, but he and Parker will have to be quarantined together for a week. By then, they’ll no longer be contagious.”

McHale’s eyes got wide. “Quarantined? Together?”

“Yes. Oh, and Lieutenant, Captain Binghamton says you’ll be in temporary command.”

“Okay, thanks,” Carpenter muttered in a daze.

“Doctor, we need you,” one of the nurses called.

The doctor nodded to them. “Excuse me.”

McHale and Carpenter stared at each other. “Quarantined together,” they said in unison.

McHale bit his bottom lip, hard, to keep from laughing. His eyes watered. He clasped his hands behind him to avoid clapping them in evil delight.

Carpenter’s face was red. He took a deep breath. He swallowed and set his jaw. “It’s not funny.”

McHale shook his head, still biting his lip. “No, it’s not funny,” he ground out.

“We’ll be lucky if they don’t kill each other.”

McHale blew out a long breath. His voice barely shook. “At least they’re in a hospital. No waiting for treating any new injuries.”

Carpenter snorted and steered McHale out into the sunshine. He looked around to make sure that no one was watching and led him into a nearby clump of trees. When they were safely hidden from view, he threw his arms around McHale and laughed into McHale’s neck.

McHale’s laugh came from deep in his chest. He wrapped an arm around Carpenter’s shaking form and patted Carpenter’s head. “You’re in charge for the next week, Lucky.”

It took Carpenter a few minutes to catch his breath. “Yeah.” He licked his lips. “Meet me in the office tonight after light’s out.”

McHale gave Carpenter a quick kiss. “I’ll be there.”

Carpenter took a step back. He swallowed another laugh and straightened his uniform. He marched off without looking back. “See ya then.”

McHale leaned against a tree. He pushed his cap up on his forehead. He snickered. “Poor Chuck.”