Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
946
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
744

Lost And Found

Summary:

This is Mulder POV on everything that happened after Scully's cancer went into remission.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Lost and Found
By CSMsWife

 

Trinity Hospital
Washington D.C.
12:00 am

I looked up to see Skinner walking toward me.  "The Smoking Man's dead," he tells me.  

"How?"

"Shot through his window."  He hands me a picture of me and Samantha with blood on it.  "Forensics found it at the scene. They're assuming it's his blood."

"Assuming?"

Skinner nodded.  "Well, no body has been found, there was too much blood loss for anyone to have survived."  

I sigh and think, How much do you want to bet he's alive?  

Skinner spoke up again.  "This afternoon, when you named Blevins, how did you know?"

"I didn't, I just guessed."  He raised his eyebrows.  "That's a hell of a guess.  Blevins had been on the payroll for four years to a company called Roush, which is somehow connected to all this."

"I'm sure whatever connections are being erased right now."  I said.  

"Cleaning up, taking everything away."  Skinner added.  I smiled and Skinner looked at my slightly confused.  "Not everything.  Scully's cancer had gone into remission."  Skinner was no doubt stunned.  "That's unbelievable news!"  

"It's the best news I could have ever heard."  

"What turned it around?"  he asked.

"I don't know, I don't think we ever will."

"Can I see her?"

"Yeah, she's in there with her family right now, but I'm sure she'd love to see you."  I watched as Skinner disappeared into the room then looked at the blood-splatter picture again.  Why did that man have this?  I felt so lost again and tried to hold back my tears but I couldn't.

 

 

Mulder's Apartment
3:02 am

Bill Scully's words echoed in my head.  "Did you find what you were looking for?  No?  Do you know how that makes me feel?  You are one sorry son-of-a-bitch."  

I couldn't sleep as I heard those words over and over again, I just couldn't turn it off.  I knew what he was saying was right, but that didn't help me to sleep any better.  Eventually, I was able to push the thoughts away but I found myself thinking of the meeting with Samantha.  

"I was afraid I'd never see you again, Fox.  He always told me something bad had happened to you that night."  "Who did?" I asked her.  She pointed to the Cancer Man, who was sitting in the car.  "My father."  I was so confused.  Her father?  The Cancer Man was her father?  Samantha told me she had been so frightened that she believed everything he had told her.  He seemed to be the only person she could remember from before what happened.  

I asked why she had come if she was so scared.  "My father said he found you, that you wanted to see me.  He said you've been looking for me for a long time.  Is that true?"  

"That man," I said, "Listen, what you have been told may not be true.  That man has known where to find me for the longest time!"  I choked back the tears the best I could.  "Why wouldn't he tell me?" she asked.  "I don't know.  Come with me to see mom.  I know she'd love to see you."  She looked at me increduously.  "Mom is alive?"  I told her she was and she started crying.  I reached for her but she pulled away.  "I can't, this is all too much.  I didn't want to come, I was afraid, Fox.  I have a life now and children of my own."  I tried pleading with her, asking for a way I could reach her.  "We'll do this on your time."  I told her, holding her hand.  "Please let me go.  I'll- I'll think about it."  With that, she left.  I couldn't believe it.  I had this horrible feeling that I'd never see my sister again.

FBI Building
X-Files Office
4 Days Later

I sat with my head on my desk, eyes closed.  I was so tired.  For four days I couldn't sleep, every night I'd hear Samantha's and Bill's words in my head.  I knew that as soon as Scully came in, she'd ask me a dozen questions.  I decided to only tell her about what Samantha said to me.  I heard the door open and Scully's quiet footsteps.  I looked up and gave her a small smile.  I was glad her cheeks had their beautiful color back in them and her blue eyes were shining.  "Hey Mulder."  

That's when she must have noticed my appearance because her smile faded and was replaced with concern.  "I must look really bad." I said trying to make light of my feelings.  I had dark circles under my eyes and my hair was a mess. "Mulder, what's wrong?  Are you alright?" Scully asked.

"No, Scully."  I noticed her concerned face changed to surprise.  I rarely ever admit I'm not alright.  She pulled up a chair and sat next me, taking my hand.  I love when she does that.  "Scully, I found Samantha, at least, I thought it was her."  The last time I thought I found Samantha, it was clone, made by the government.  "What happened?"

I told her about the conversation in the diner and how the Cancer Man was her "father."  "She said she has children of her own and I that I should let her go, and that she'd think about it.  Oh, Scully, I want her to come hom now.  It hurts so much to lose her a third time."  Scully pulled me into a hug as I cried.  She held me for the longest time and I never wanted to let go, Scully was going to help me find my way again.

 

 

THE END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author CSMs Wife.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.