Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
608
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,375

Judgement

Summary:

Karma's a bitch.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Judgement
by nancy

Daniel watched, amused, while Jack glared at the television as if it had betrayed him. Since it was a Simpsons repeat that was on, he really doubted any such thing had happened. Sitting beside his lover, he asked, "So. How was your day?"

Jack gave him a sidelong glare and demanded, "Who called you?"

Assuming an innocent expression, Daniel countered, "What makes you think anyone called me?"

"I know you have spies, Daniel," Jack practically growled.

Daniel bit back a grin. "Well, yes, but in this case, I think they'll remain nameless."

Jack jumped to his feet and exclaimed, "He disobeyed me!"

Leaning back against the cushion, Daniel pointed out, "After all the times you did the exact same thing to George, or even the President, you're going to pick *that* to get angry about?"

Jack's arms folded across his chest and his gaze narrowed as he snapped, "Don't get smart with me, Daniel, you know perfectly well what I'm ticked about."

Daniel looked back at Jack for a long moment and then said, "You know, I think I do. I think that you're truly angry about the fact that you think you were wrong about Young being able to lead in a crisis. That you believed him when he said he was unfit. I know how much you hate misjudging people."

Jack sputtered for a few seconds without making any sense and then stalked out of the room altogether.

"Bingo," Daniel muttered, rising to follow.

He found Jack on the porch out back, glaring at the innocent little pond in the yard and went to stand beside him. Leaning against his lover, Daniel said, "Your judgment's fine, Jack."

"How can you say that?" Jack asked, not looking at him. He sounded tired as he continued, "It's a damn big thing to be wrong about. And if I can be wrong about that, what else have I missed?"

Daniel laced their hands together and said, "I don't think you were wrong."

Jack arched an eyebrow at him. "Oh yeah? Seems to me, Young's doing just fine on his own. Sure as hell knew how to get rid of Teleford."

Thinking about how ruthless Everett could be when it came to getting what he wanted, Daniel told him dryly, "Well, I think Dr. Rush might've had a little more to do with that than Colonel Young. But aside from that, I remember that you picked Young for this mission and he turned you down. Even though everyone else said to pass him over again, even though he said no, you insisted that he go. And when push came to shove, he stepped up, just like you knew he would."

Jack sighed, still looking at the pond, and didn't respond. Daniel knew the other man well enough not to push. Jack would come to his own conclusion, as he always did, and form his own judgment. He hated that Jack was always hardest on himself, but also knew that they had that in common.

Finally, Jack squeezed his hand and said, still a little uncertain, "I did pick him, didn't I?"

No one else got to see Jack's doubts, not even Sam or Teal'c. Daniel treated it like he did all his lover's vulnerabilities; with careful respect and total support. He slid an arm around Jack's waist and rested his head on his shoulder as he reassured, "You did. And you were right."

There was a slightly smug tone to Jack's words as he said, "I'm always right, Danny-boy. Don't forget that."

Daniel grinned outright, since Jack couldn't see him right then, and agreed, "I won't."

 

 

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Nancy.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.