Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
4,999
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,189

The Making Of A Mystery

Summary:

It's a mystery. You're just going to have to guess.

Work Text:

The Making Of A Mystery
By Betty R and Jen lmr

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Rated: NC-17
Category: Slash
Pairing: Starbuck/Apollo

Author's Notes: A special thanks to Rita for her wonderful beta reading skills. Any mistakes in this story are strictly our own.

Thanks also to Stuart for coming up with this bizzare idea.

Summary: It's a mystery. You're just going to have to guess.


*****

Part 1

Apollo awoke and stretched languidly next to his best friend and lover. Since Starbuck had moved in with him several sectars ago, he really looked forward to waking up in the mornings.

He gazed over at his lover, a slow smile spreading across his face at the sight of him all tangled up in the covers, looking as peaceful as a small child. He gently caressed the face of the sleeping figure until blue eyes fluttered open.

As the sleepiness left his lover's eyes it was replaced with lust. 'Oh yeah. Another benefit of living together!' Apollo thought happily as he took the blonde in his arms and proceeded to show him just *how* happy he was that he was here with him.

He trailed kisses along his face and neck, then captured one luscious nipple after the other, worshipping them each in turn with his mouth.

The taste and feel of his lover's skin driving him half mad with lust.

He vaguely wondered how they both could have been so blind and foolish, waiting so long to become lovers. That thought went out of his head as quickly as it came as Starbuck began moving his hips against him in a slow, rhythmic grinding motion.

Feeling his own erection jerk and twitch insistently, he moved lower, taking the delicious, pulsing shaft of his heart's desire into his greedy mouth. He savored the taste and the musky scent that was all Starbuck as he gently began working his now lube-coated fingers into his lover. With a lover like Starbuck, he had quickly learned to always keep lube within easy reach.

"Turn over," he breathed urgently. His lover quickly complied and he eased himself into the tight, heavenly channel. Starbuck's moans of pleasure were stirring him on in a way that he had never felt with anyone else before.

He reached forward and grasped his absolute favorite part of Starbuck's anatomy and began pumping it in time with his thrusts. Soon he felt his lover's body stiffen and heard him cry out as wet warmth covered his hand. Those decadent contractions from Starbuck's internal muscles spurring him on to his own climax.

Breathing heavily he pulled out of his lover and rolled them both over.

"Good morning."

"It is at that," Starbuck agreed whole heartedly.

Apollo stretched and sighed, "I'd better get up and go take a turbowash. Do you want to come with me?"

"Very tempting, but I'm going to try to get a little more sleep. Besides," Starbuck yawned loudly, "Boxey's probably up and around by now."

Apollo looked at the bedside chronometer. "Yeah. I'm sure you're right. Ah, the joys of parenthood."

Apollo went to grab his robe but it wasn't on the hook where he usually kept it.

"Starbuck, have you seen my robe?"

Starbuck sleepily mumbled something in the negative.

Apollo shrugged and pulled on a pair of undershorts, then headed out of the room.

"Hey, Dad," Boxey greeted him as he headed towards the turbowashroom, "Can you sign this permission slip for school?"

"Sure. Let me just take a turbowash first and wake up a little more."

"Another one?"

"What do you mean 'another one'? I just got up."

Boxey gave him an odd look and seemed about to say something, but changed his mind and headed towards the kitchen.

Apollo stared after him for a moment then went into the turbowashroom to clean up. Upon entering he found his robe lying on the floor.

Picking it up he found it was slightly damp. He found the same thing when he went to grab one of the towels off of the rack. 'Funny, I didn't hear Starbuck get up to take a wash this morning.'

Puzzled, he went to grab a fresh towel and slipped in a puddle of water, almost falling flat on his butt. Irritated he vowed to talk to his lover about cleaning up after himself.

Once in the turbowash he felt his irritation melt away as the warm water cascaded down his skin. He leisurely washed himself then dried off and headed to the sink to clean his teeth and shave.

Stepping out of the turbowashroom, he found the quarters strangely silent.

He called for Boxey and got no answer. Then he went in to wake his lover up and found the bed not only empty, but neatly made. Shaking his head in bewilderment he happened to glance at the chronometer.

"Oh my lords! Is that the time?!" He rushed out to the living area to check the wall chronometer there. "How could I have been in the turbowash for two centars!"

He rushed to his bedchamber and hurriedly pulled on his uniform, then dashed out the door thinking all the way to the duty office, 'Tigh's going to kill me!' Followed by, 'I'm going to kill Starbuck for leaving without me!'

He entered the duty office out of breath, "Sorry I'm late," he panted, shooting Starbuck a glare.

Starbuck and Tigh both looked up at the frazzled captain, "What are you talking about Apollo? Late for what?" Colonel Tigh asked.

Apollo was completely nonplussed and could only stare at the two of them stupidly.

"Well, I better get these revised duty rosters to the Commander. Good work on those by the way, Captain." Tigh said as he walked out the door.

Apollo continued to stare at Starbuck stupidly.

"What's the matter with you?" Starbuck asked, absently flipping through a report on the desk.

Finally finding his voice, Apollo demanded, "How could you let me miss the meeting this morning?"

"Miss the meeting?" Starbuck looked puzzled. "You were sitting right next to me."

"No I wasn't."

"I think I'd know."

"Well, I know I'd know it if I was!" Apollo said with increasing agitation.

Just then an ensign came in. "Captain Apollo, we have a situation down on the troop decks."

"Can't it wait?" Apollo snapped.

"I'm afraid not, Sir."

Apollo let out a resigned sigh and shot Starbuck a final look before following the ensign out.

*****

Part 2

Apollo rounded the corner, expecting the ensign to be waiting for him at the lifts, but the younger man was nowhere to be seen.

"What the frack!" Apollo swore angrily as he pressed the button  for the lift. He would deal with the ensign later, explaining to him the importance of respecting a superior officer, and making sure the lesson sunk in by assigning him to cleaning up the cadet's turbo flush, with a tooth brush.

When he finally reached the troop decks the halls were empty, but  he could hear someone barking orders from the enlisted men`s  lounge.

Entering the room he saw Boomer, standing in the middle  of the room and overseeing a clean up detail. The room was a  mess: tables and chairs overturned, ale and other refreshments spilled on the floor and walls.

"Boomer what`s going on? What`s happened here?" he snapped in his  authoritative voice.

Boomer turned and gave Apollo a confused look before saying "What do you mean 'what`s going on, what`s happened'? I told you before, a fight broke out, some food and ale were thrown around the room. You ordered the men involved to clean up the mess and then assigned them turboflush duties. Are you feeling ok, Apollo?"

Apollo`s face flushed red. "I am feeling fine and I know I was NOT down here until this centon! Don`t tell me I was someplace I  wasn`t when I......"

Apollo`s words were cut off by Colonel Tigh. "Captain Apollo, next time you send me a report about a fight on the troop decks I would appreciate it if you signed it *before* handing it in. Now, if you don`t mind, I would also appreciate it if you signed the damn thing."

Tigh handed Apollo the report. Taking a good look at the clipboard it  seemed to be in the wording he would use, but he didn`t remember filling it out. Quickly he signed the document with his digital signature, handed it back to Tigh, and left the room; he had to talk to Starbuck.

A few centons later, Apollo was rounding the corner to the duty office only to see Starbuck leaving and Bojay and Sheba entering.

 "Starbuck, what are you doing?"

 Turning to Apollo, Starbuck replied,  "Ah ...Apollo, our shift's  over. Bojay and Sheba have the evening shift, remember?"

"How can our shift be over when it just started a few centares ago?"

"Apollo,  look at the time," Sheba said. "Starbuck`s telling you the truth, but hey if you want to take my shift you're welcome to it."

Apollo looked at his timepiece; it had stopped at mid day. Tapping it quickly he put it to his ear: no sound. "My watch seems to have stopped at mid day, but I didn`t have lunch yet," Apollo said, more confused than ever.

"Apollo, you had lunch, we picked Boxey up at his class room and  took him to the OC." Starbuck sounded worried. "You must remember the way his teacher scolded us for bringing him back ten centons late; she reminded us both of old Sergeant Hardass at the Academy, her eyes even bugged out the same way his did, and you made a comment about her maybe being his long lost sister." Starbuck chuckled.

Bojay laughed loudly. "Oh aren`t you two lucky? I remember that guy oh too well; every time I was in his class I was scared half to death I would screw up; you did not want to screw up in Hardass`s class."

"His name was not Hardass it was Hardtack and, no, I don`t  remember; in fact my stomach is growling. I`m hungry," Apollo said calmly.

"That`s for your supper, not your lunch; you had lunch. See my watch? It says it`s supper time," Starbuck said.

Apollo grabbed Starbuck`s wrist and looked at the watch; it was indeed quarter after 1700 centares, time for shift change and supper.

"Starbuck, lets go home. I don`t feel very good," Apollo whispered as he turned to go back to his quarters.

Starbuck quickly  put his arm around Apollo`s shoulders. "It`s ok, Apollo; tell you what: why don`t we ask your dad or Athena to watch Boxey tonight? That way I can cook you a romantic meal, then give you a good hot bath and a massage, then tuck you into bed and kiss away all the stress from today. You're overworked and haven`t had enough sleep; a nice romantic, candlelit dinner and a good night's sleep is all you need and in the morning you`ll feel like  your old self again. Just let me take care of you tonight, all right?"

Apollo felt his eyes fill up with tears. "Ok, I think I`d like to be babied for change; can I have a bubble bath?"

Pulling Apollo into a tight hug and kissing the top of his head, Starbuck replied, "Of course you can, Baby, anything you want."

Sheba and Bojay stared after the two lovers, grinning sweetly at them.

*****

Part 3

As soon as they arrived back at their quarters, Starbuck immediately ushered Apollo over to the longseat.

"You just sit there and make yourself comfortable. I'll take care of everything." He stated reassuringly as he helped the captain out of his jacket and boots.

Apollo sank back onto the longseat, propped his feet up, and let out a deep sigh. 'What a day! I must be more stressed out than I thought.'

He thought to himself as he watched Starbuck go over to the wall comm.

After Starbuck ended his comm, he turned back to Apollo, "Everything's all set. Athena is going to pick up Boxey after learning period and

he's spending the night with her. Why don't I bring you a glass of ambrosa? You look like you could really use it."

"I sure could." Apollo murmured gratefully.

His lover gave him a sympathetic smile before going to get the ambrosa. He returned from the kitchen a couple of moments later with a single glass.

"Aren't you having any?"

"I have a glass in the kitchen. You just sit here and relax. I'll make us a nice dinner and afterwards I'll run you a bubble bath." Starbuck leaned over Apollo and gave him a leisurely kiss.

"What would I ever do without you?" Apollo sighed happily.

Starbuck answered with a wink and a smile before heading in to the kitchen to start on dinner.

*****

Apollo awoke with a start as his lover kissed him gently on the lips. "I didn't realize I fell asleep. How long was I out?"

"A couple of centars. I had a little trouble making dinner, but everything's ready now. Come eat." Starbuck said as he helped him off the longseat.

"Mmmm. It certainly smells good."

"Nothing but the best for my guy." The blonde grinned seductively and kissed him hotly.

"Keep that up and we won't make it through dinner."

"No way. I worked too hard on this meal. Go on, sit down and eat."

The captain sat down and took a bite of his food. "This is delicious. I never realized you could cook this well."

"It's one of my many hidden talents."

"Well it certainly comes as a surprise to me."

"I'm full of surprises." Blue eyes sparkled at him mischievously.

*****

After dinner, Starbuck took his lover off to the bedchamber so that they could finish changing out of their work clothes and slip in to their robes.

"Starting to feel better, love?"

"Like you wouldn't believe. Maybe we should just stay here and forget about the bath?"

"Oh no. I promised you a bubble bath, and you are going to get a bubble bath. Besides, I'm planning to wash your back, among other areas."

Starbuck said, with a lustful look towards his partner.

"When you put it that way, I'm all yours."

"You better be all mine anyway." Starbuck gave him a playful swat on his behind as he shooed him out the door. "Now go get back on that longseat and don't move until I call you. And don't worry about the dishes, I'm going to take care of them in the morning."

*****

Apollo reclined on the longseat thinking how lucky he was to have a friend and lover like Starbuck. 'I'm really going to have to find a way to thank him for everything he does for me.' He thought idly, as he felt the days tension slipping away. 'It's amazing how thoughtful he can be when he wants to.'

He was startled out of his musings by the sound of his lover's voice calling to him.

Heading to the turbowashroom he was filled with anticipation of the evening to come. 'Could it get any better than this?' He thought to himself happily.

Upon entering, he took in his surroundings. Candles were the only thing lighting the room. He could smell scented oil burning. Best of all was the sight of his heart's desire leaning against the wall by the bubble filled tub.

"Oh, Starbuck." Apollo moaned with pleasure.

"Get in. The best is still yet to come," Starbuck purred.

Apollo sank gratefully into the luxurious bubbles. His companion slipped in behind him and began caressing his neck and shoulders.

"Mmmmmm. Don't ever stop doing that."

Starbuck chuckled, "But I have so many other areas to wash." He then moved his hands lower. He'd decided to forgo the washcloth in favor of skin on skin contact.

They were both glad he did as Apollo's erection grew and poked out above some bubbles.

"Oooooohhhh. That is sooo good." Apollo moaned as he felt warm hands gently stroking his shaft. He could also feel Starbuck's hard cock pushing against his lower cheeks with an answering pulsing movement.

A warm mouth descended on his shoulder, suckling with increasing pressure as the movements of the hand on his shaft sped up in time with the movements of his love's engorged member on his backside. Apollo was awash in pleasure and the feeling only intensified as the pace of the dual stroking sensations grow stronger and faster. He felt a hot spurt on his buttock's as the pressure in his organ reached a crescendo and he cried out loudly and came.

He relaxed back against the warm, sensual body behind him that was breathing so heavily against the column of his neck.

After long moments he found his voice. "I'm staying in this tub with you forever," he gasped out.

Starbuck let out a throaty chuckle. "I haven't even finished washing you yet."

"Oh no. I think I better finish washing myself if I hope to make it through another round or two in bed."

"Another round or *two*? My, you're feeling ambitious."

"I think it's one of my better traits."

"Among countless others. Let me just rinse myself off and I'll see you in the bedchamber when you're finished in here."

"You better believe you will." Apollo moved aside so that Starbuck could stand under the spray to rinse the bubbles off.

As Starbuck was standing outside the tub drying himself off, Apollo couldn't help but wonder about the events of the day that led up to the bubble bath.

"Starbuck?"

"Can I get you something?"

"No. I was just wondering about today."

"What about it?"

"You know. I seemed to be forgetting so many things."

"Apollo, I already told you, you're just overworked. You'll feel better tomorrow. You'll see," his friend reassured him.

"You really think so?"

"I'm positive. Trust me."

Apollo looked relieved. "Okay. I'll see you in a few centons," he replied as he began to finish washing himself.

"Take your time. Enjoy the bubbles," Starbuck said on his way out the door.

*****

Apollo was humming softly to himself as he entered the bedchamber. He was surprised by the sight of his lover sound asleep. He shook him gently.

"Pol?" he murmured sleepily.

"Hey, sleepy head. I wasn't gone that long."

Starbuck looked over to the bedside chronometer. "It's been over a centar."

"What? It couldn't have been more than fifteen centons."

"See for yourself." The blonde gestured towards the chronometer.

"Oh, my Lords! How could I have been in there that long?"

"You probably just nodded off. You were pretty tired earlier."

"That must be it." Apollo said uncertainly.

"Sure it is. Now come to bed. We have some unfinished business to take care of." Starbuck wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

That was all the encouragement Apollo needed to pounce on his lover.

*****

Apollo woke up the next morning feeling extremely satiated. He reached out to embrace his lover. He sat up and looked around the room when all he was met with was empty space. Figuring he must be taking his morning turbowash, he padded down the hall hoping to join him for some morning fun. The turbowashroom was empty. Upon closer inspection he noticed that there was dried blood on the sink and floor.

He headed out to the kitchen calling his lover's name. All he found were the dirty dishes from last night's meal still sitting on the table.

Upon checking the main living area and Boxey's room, he could find no sign of him. 'Starbuck wouldn't have left without telling me, would he?' He nervously thought back to the events of yesterday morning.

Going back into the bedchamber and flipping on the light, he stopped short. There was blood on the bed, mostly on the side Starbuck slept.

Looking around he saw that there were also blood smears on the walls and floor. Then he noticed that it formed a trail leading out of the room.

Flipping lights on as he went, he could see blood on the hallway floor also. Smears that looked like they could have been made by a hand were on various spots of the wall.

With a growing sense of panic, he rushed over to the wall comm. Waiting for his connection to go through he silently prayed that his lover was alright.

*****

Part 4

"Life Centre," Apollo heard Cassie say.

"*Cassie it`s Apollo, is Starbuck all right*?" Apollo yelled at the Comm unit

"Starbuck? What are talking about why should Starbuck be here, did he get hurt?" Cassie asked.

Apollo was more confused than ever. He knew Starbuck was hurt, the blood around their quarters proved that, but where was he?

"Cassie I woke up and he was gone, but there`s blood everywhere, I know he`s hurt he must have tried to get down there and didn`t make it, I gotta find him."

Apollo closed the Comm unit, and quickly dressed. Opening the door into the corridor he saw more blood. The trail led to the elevator, and a bloody handprint was on the wall by the call buttons. Starbuck must have tried to make it the Life Centre. When the elevator opened, Apollo saw more blood on the floor, but no Starbuck. That meant his lover had been on it, but where did he get off?

"Oh, where can he be?" Apollo cried.

The floor buttons were covered in blood. It looked like someone had run their bloody hand over all of them. There was no way to tell what button had been pressed, so Apollo pressed them all. He would allow the doors to open on each floor just long enough to see if there was a trail of blood. Then go on to the next until he found the floor Starbuck got off on. Tears were flowing down his face at the thought of his lover alone, scared and hurt somewhere on this large ship. What if the unthinkable had happened and Starbuck was dead? How could he live without Starbuck?

Each floor showed the same thing, no blood. Apollo had checked every floor, twice, there was no sign of blood on any of them. Know he was sitting in his father`s quarters, crying. Adama held him tightly, stroking his hair and telling him they would find Starbuck soon.

"Tigh has everyone out looking for him Apollo, someone will find him soon," Adama calmly told him.

"But there was so much blood, what if they're too late." Apollo sobbed into his father`s shoulder.

"Hush now, stop crying, you must remember something."

"No, I don`t. We had supper, and then a bath and then we.........went to bed, I woke up and he was gone, but his blood was everywhere. I don`t know what happened, he was attacked in the night and I slept through it. How could I do that? He must have called out to me and I didn`t hear him, he needed me and I let him down."

"Now that`s enough of that talk Apollo, from what Tigh tells me you were very stressed out yesterday, you were probably in a very deep sleep, so deep that even the alert klaxon would not have woken you."

"You're just saying that to make me feel better, but it`s not working," Apollo wailed.

Before Adama could respond Tigh entered the room. "I`m sorry Adama, but I guess you didn`t hear the door chime, I have some bad news."

Apollo jumped up at Tigh`s words. "Oh Lords, he`s dead isn`t he? They found him and he`s dead."

Tigh was fighting back tears as he replied, "No, Apollo, they didn`t find him, but they did find more blood. On the door to an airlock down on the flight deck. A DNA test shows that it`s Starbuck`s blood. And there`s more, the investigation team found a bloody knife in your quarters, also with Starbuck`s blood on it, and your finger prints."

"What are saying? That I did this? How could you think I would do this? I would never hurt Starbuck, *never*!" Apollo was now becoming hysterical .

The door chime sounded ,when Adama answered they saw the chief opposer, Sire Solon, standing there.

"I`m sorry to Adama, but I`m afraid I must arrest Captain Apollo for the murder of Lt. Starbuck."

*****

Part 5

"You can't be serious!" Commander Adama protested.

"I'm sorry. I'm afraid that I am. Apollo, you're going to have to come with me," Sire Solon responded in a tone of regret.

"Father, Sire Solon, surely you can't possibly think that I killed Starbuck! Just because there's blood on an airlock doesn't mean he went out it. There has to be another explanation! I refuse to think that way! He's just got to be okay somehow. He's just got to!" Apollo looked at them both wildly.

"Lover's quarrels can sometimes get out of hand. It happens all the time," said Sire Solon gravely. Two security officers stepped out from behind Sire Solon. "Now I need you to come with me."

"We didn't have a quarrel! We've been getting along wonderfully! I don't believe this! Starbuck is missing. I have to find him. I don't have time for this!" Apollo gave his father a pleading look. "Father, you know how I feel about Starbuck. I would rather die than hurt him!"

"I know, son. We'll get this straightened out. Go with Sire Solon. We'll all keep trying our best to find Starbuck. Don't worry about a thing."

Apollo reluctantly followed Sire Solon out the door with a look of pure misery on his face. The two security guards were close behind him.

All too soon they arrived at the holding cells where they kept prisoners who were awaiting trial. Apollo was brusquely pushed into a cell where he began immediately pacing back and forth.

'How could this have happened?  This is a nightmare! What could have possibly
happened to Starbuck? I just can't believe he could be dead. He just can't be! I just don't know what I'd ever do without him!' Apollo worried despondently. 'Why can't I remember anything!'

Two centars later Sire Solon appeared at his cell door with the two security guards. "I've spoken with the Commander. I've agreed to question you in his quarters with him present. This goes against normal procedure, but Adama and I go back a long way so I'm making an exception."

"Have you heard any more news on what could have happened to Starbuck? Have
the search teams found any more signs of him?"

4Sire Solon ignored his questions as he walked out the door. "Just come along. We'll talk in the Commander's quarters."

Apollo followed him through the corridors walking like a man in a dream. A very bad dream. 'This can't be happening. This can't be real. I'm going to wake up any centon now and Starbuck will be lying next to me.'

Sire Solon chimed the door to Commander Adama's quarters, then opened it at hearing Adama call 'enter'.

"SURPRISE!"

Apollo went white with shock. There, standing in the center of his friends and family, was Starbuck. He walked over to Apollo and kissed him soundly. "Happy Birthday, Pol." The blond lieutenant leaned back a little and smiled at his lover.

Apollo was speechless. He spent a few moments gaping, his mouth opening and closing like a fish on dry land. Finally he recovered his voice enough to speak. "What the hell is going on?!"

His father stepped forward. "What does it look like? It's a surprise party, Son."

"Are you people crazy?! I've been beside myself with worry! I got arrested for murder! Now you're telling me this was all a set up to throw me a surprise birthday party?! It's not even my birthday!" Apollo fumed.

"Yes it is, Apollo. We've been moving the chronometers ahead for the last couple of  days so you wouldn't get suspicious," Starbuck grinned.

"Are you insane?! I thought I was having black outs!"

"Yeah. That part was my idea," Athena chimed in, a huge smile on her face and a wicked sparkle in her eyes.

"Boomer came up with the idea of putting the fake blood around," Starbuck laughed.

"I've always been very inventive," Boomer put in with a silly smirk.

"Starbuck! How could you go along with this?!" Apollo stormed.

Starbuck shrugged and gave his lover a mischievous smile. "You said that nobody could ever surprise you on your birthday so we decided to really go all out this yahren."

"All out?! I was afraid you were dead!"

"Well, I'm not. Aren't you glad?"

"I'm going to have to get back to you on that one," Apollo said wryly.

"Come on, Apollo. Enjoy the party. You have to admit that we really had you going," Adama said as he put his arm around his son and led him further into the room.

"Yeah, Apollo," Athena giggled. "After all those yahrens of you ruining our surprises we finally got you."

"You people are seriously deranged to put me through all that just to surprise me," Apollo muttered.

"Oh, come on, Apollo. Be a good sport." Starbuck moved close to Apollo and gave him a hug and a big wet kiss. "Besides, we all had a blast setting everything up."

Apollo kissed him back, silently vowing a horrible revenge. "All right. I suppose I can be a good sport. Let's go enjoy the party."

Starbuck smiled happily and kissed him again, leading the way over to where the food was set up.

He completely missed the evil smile on Apollo's face and the calculating gleam in his eyes.

The End