Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,152
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
17
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,340

The fig shake Universe

Summary:

Just a few episode based short stories, mostly Fin/Munch

Work Text:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No Copyright infringement is intended.

Based on “Raw”

Slowly, almost hesitant Fin walked through the large corridors of the hospital, the fig shake clutched firmly in his hands. He felt uncomfortable here to say the least. With every step he took towards Johns room he was less convinced that he was doing the right thing, coming here when the case and everything around it where still that fresh and vivid in his memory. Too clearly he still remembered the fear when Olivia had told him what happened at court…

 

“Fin!”

He knew immediately that something was wrong when Olivia hurried over to him. She was deathly pale and looked really shaken up.

“What is it?” he demanded.

Thereby he tried to ignore the part of himself that was already dreading these news even if he didn’t have all the information’s yet.

“Kyle Ackermann opened fire at court…”

At that moment Fin had to admit that he was short of panicking. Thereby he simply needed to know that John was all right.

“At the moment we are trying to figure out how he got the weapon in…”

“Liv…”

Despite his try to interrupt her and ask the question that was so vital to him she continued to talk.

“After what I heard he had an accomplice and…”

“Olivia!”

Fin flinched at his own outburst, after all Olivia was one of the last persons who he could blame for all of this.

“What?” bewildered she looked at him.

“Are John and Elliot all right?”

In the few seconds he waited for her to answer him the tension became almost more than he could bear. The mere thought that something had happened to John…

“They both got shot Fin.”

“What?” his voice was almost breaking at this point.

“I don’t know the details yet Fin. But I’m on my way to the hospital right now.”

Without saying another word Fin took his jacket and quickly followed Olivia to her car…

And now? Now he was walking through the hospital, too afraid of simply visiting John to see how he was doing. Hiding from him and all the feelings that were connected to it. Agitated Fin rubbed a hand over his face. When had he become such a coward? When had he started running from the one man he knew he could trust completely and without a second thought to it? With a deep sigh he sat into one of the visitors chairs which were scattered along the walls of the corridors. Shakily he took a breath and tried to relax and concentrate. Eventually he was here to see his partner and friend. Everything aside from that didn’t matter right now. Slowly Fin took one calming breath and got up again. He was here to make sure that John was alright. Period.When he saw Star Morrison, no now she was Dana Lewis, in Johns room he was tempted to leave again. Thereby he couldn’t even explain why he didn’t like her. Not because of all the insults she had said to him, that was for certain. He was a cop long enough and had been undercover himself too often to understand what she had to do and knew that it hadn’t been her slant she had been telling them throughout the investigation. What he simply hated was the fact that there *were* nutcases out there who really believed in all of that racist crap…

“Detective Tutuola! I want to apologize…”

Maybe it was unfair but at the moment he didn’t care what she had to say. And in his opinion she had nothing to be sorry for. Besides he had things on his mind that were more important at the moment. To Fins own surprise keeping his emotions in check was now one of them. Briefly he closed his eyes and tried to swallow the lump that was quickly forming in his throat.

“It’s okay!”

Dana only smiled at him and left after that. At that moment Fin felt the something akin to panic rise in his chest. Thereby it wasn’t even the first time that he was alone with John. But nonetheless he simply felt that it was different this time. Quickly he made his way over to the hospital bed and sat down on the edge.

“So where is it you got shot?”

“That would be… In the ass. You wanna kiss it and make it better?”

Fin came close to laughing out loud from sheer relief at that comment. It was strange but he had never thought that Johns sarcasm would sometime be reassuring.

“You be nice to me or you won’t get the shake I smuggled in for you.”

With shaking fingers Fin pulled the brown paper bag out of his jacket.

“Fig? From McGintys?”

“Of course!”

“Thanks man!”

Almost inaudibly Fin sighed at that statement. This was easier than he had thought it would be. This was Fin and Munch. This was something he could handle, after all he had been doing exactly this for five years now. In the meantime he simply knew how to push Johns buttons as much as the other way round. This was their usual banter, their way of showing concern, their form of partnership…

“Thank you for not making me have to break in another partner! I’m glad you pulled it trough bro!”

Yeah, that was bad ass cop Odafin Tutuola talking. The man who could get a confession out of a suspect with one hard look. And if he was honest with himself he needed it this way right now. He needed to be able to control the situation, to be able to hide behind his hard and gruff exterior. Because Fin felt that if this mask would slip away now he would lose it. And do something really stupid…

“Fin?”

The confusion was evident in John’s voice. Only now he realized that he had been starring at an undefined spot on his pants for several minutes.

“What?”

“Is something wrong? Elliot is okay, isn’t he?”

Silently Fin scolded himself for increasing Johns worries rather than diminishing them. Nervously he began to wring his fingers. The situation was spinning out of his hands and at the moment he had no idea what to do against it.

“Elliot is fine. Kyle Ackermann shot him in the arm and wanted to finish him off but Dana saved him. He will have his arm in a sling for a couple of weeks and after that he should be as good as new.”

When John not only didn’t answer to that but also starred at him with a deep frown on his brow Fin got more and more restless. The strange silence was beginning to wear him out. But Fin had to admit that his last defenses broke when John took his hand and laced their fingers together.

“I’m not going anywhere Fin. I’m right here.”

Swallowing hard Fin looked up and met his eyes. The brown was filled with a mix of emotions that took him completely by surprise. Tiredness, pain, concern, sympathy, warmth and above all that was something Fin didn’t want to examine to closely.

“Oda!”

Fin smiled shakily, it was weird but right now Johns voice was as warm as his eyes. And he didn’t know his partner like this. Before he had always been the cynical and sarcastic conspiracy theorist who had grown on him. But now? Now nothing was like before and Fin wasn’t used to this change. Hell, he wasn’t even sure that he wanted this change. Because he simply felt that it would be irrevocable.

“Oda!” John repeated the short form of his name that hardly anybody used.

It was strange but for Fin it felt even more intimate between them when he did this. And with that there was the change in the situation that he had feared. Because this wasn’t Fin and Munch anymore. This was now John and Oda. This wasn’t something he could handle. It was too much…

And suddenly there were the tears. Hot, unwelcomed and extremely embarrassing. Despite that Fin couldn’t do a single thing to stop them. The one thing he didn’t expect however was the feeling of strong arms around his shoulders pulling him towards a strong chest. When he finally felt Johns heartbeat against his own Fin relaxed for the first time since he had learned what had happened.

“It’s okay Fin! It’s okay.”

Never before had Johns voice sounded this soft, Fin shuddered at that. He didn’t know how long he stayed in his arms nonetheless. What seemed like a lifetime later the tears subsided and he got calmer again. Hesitantly Fin pulled back a little bit, thereby he made sure not to lose the whole contact.

“I’m sorry John. I shouldn’t have…”

The finger on his lips stopped him.

“You have no reason to be sorry for anything Fin.”

“I… I think it was all a bit too much today.”

Helplessly Fin waved his hand around to express how he felt at the moment. John only sighed at that.

“I know!”

Surprised he looked at him.

“Trust me Fin. I *know* how it feels.”

With this he put his hand on Fins chest, directly over the bullet wound scar there. At that Fin gave him a smile.

“Were even now, aren’t we?”

“Think so!” John took a deep breath. “Fin?”

“Hmm?” the low murmur was everything he was able to master because John was now absent-mindedly stroking the scar trough the fabric of his shirt and it took all of his willpower to not lean into the touch.

“I don’t want to do this anymore.”

“What?” questioningly he looked at him.

For a second John closed his eyes, visibly searching for the right words.

“When you were shot back then I really thought that I had lost you. That you would die on me before I had the chance to talk to you, to be finally honest with you. I was so close… But before I could do something about it we slipped back in our everyday life, in our routine and I lost the chance again. But today I realized something Fin. I can’t go on like this. Life is so damn short and I don’t want to wake up sometime and realize that I am too late…”

But he was distracted when Fin cupped his face between his hands.

“Do you ever shut up actually?” he wanted to know with a soft smile.

Before John could react Fin leaned in close and brought his lips to his…

*.*.*.*

Yawning Olivia walked along the corridor to Johns room, hoping that he was still up. Here visit with Elliot had taken her longer than she had expected it to. Even if she still wasn’t really able to get her head around what he had told her. He and Kathy were getting a divorce, she had already left him and taken the children along. Thereby she had always thought that Elliot and his wife were some kind of role model for everyone around them. A happily married couple and a bunch of great kids, like the family she had always longed for. And now they were separating. Almost aggressively she rubbed the hands over her face. There were times when she wondered what their job really did to them and how it interfered with their personal lives. On a few occasions she had even asked herself whether it was worth it. But nonetheless she knew that she did the right thing be getting the perps of the street. Silently she sighed. Today had been a close call again but despite that she had the feeling that they all were lucky. Sure, Elliot would have his arm in a sling and John wouldn’t be able to sit properly for the next weeks. But at least no one from them had been killed. And that was what mattered the most. She would be able to argue with Elliot over their cases and be irritated by Johns rambling about yet another conspiracy plotted by the government. That thought alone got Olivia to smile. Yeah, being a cop was always dangerous but when the days ended with everybody of them alive it wasn’t that bad…Finally she stood in front of the door to Johns room, tentative she knocked there and waited for an answer. Only when she didn’t get one she slowly opened it and looked inside. However she hadn’t expected what she found there. John lay on his bed, sound asleep, but what surprised her the most was that he wasn’t alone. Fin was cuddled up to him, from what she saw his ear placed over Johns heart. His arm wrapped protectively around his waist, the both of them looking completely at peace. As silently as she had opened the door Olivia shut it again. Yeah, this past day was now really looking better than it had before. Relieved that everything would be all right for her friends she left the hospital to drive home. Right into a new day…