Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2009-10-18
Words:
1,898
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,833

Everything

Summary:

Too many mistakes

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

by request (X-Men AU)
RATING: teen
PAIRING: Remy/Logan
ARCHIVING: Eiluned, others ask first.
FEEDBACK: God, yes! Please, please! Write me. Tarchannon@twmi.rr.com
DISCLAIMER: Remy and Logan belong to the people at Marvel and 20th Century Fox. This is just for fun and academic exercise, absolutely no money will be generated.
DEDICATION: To Eiluned (I had a bad day, too)
COMPLETED: 8/25/02

Chapter Text

Everything
by Tarchannon

 
It was the last mistake I would make today, the last mistake I'd make this week, the last mistake I'd make this year.

I'd had a life time of mistakes, and I'd had enough.

I watched the moon, full and silver-white, high above the lake from the end of the dock, the water lapping softly, trying to soothe my weary heart.

I fished the long blade from it's sheath against my shin, and tossed it end over end, catching and tossing the wickedly sharp blade over and over, catching it every time on the smooth leather handle.

The blade glinted in the light.

I flicked the tails of my duster out behind me, and settled down on the edge of the dock, toes just above the waters surface. This was as good a place as any.

Laying the blade aside, I unbuckled the Kevlar bracers from around my wrists and tossed them in the water. My tears fell freely now, hot and wet on my cheeks.

I'd had it all three times now - Bella, Rogue, and . I can't even think about it - it's too fresh. Every time, I'd made a mistake, and I'd lost it all.

Three times loved, three times lost, three times a broken heart. Hearts only mend so many times before they shatter for good.

"Dis heart is done," I whispered to the night.

Bared arms pale under the moon, the blade flashed as it descended, poised to lay dark, wet trails. I took a final breath, a deep lungful of clean night air, before the metal kiss.

"Your heart's not done until I say it's done," a deep voice rumbled from the shadows near the boathouse.

I turned toward the voice, the blade falling from my suddenly nerveless fingers to clatter on the dock.

"Logan? " I managed to choke out.

"S'not not yours anyway. It belongs to me." The rumble was a melody of pain and guilt, fire and love. I could feel it, pouring of him, but his voice made it real.

"T'ought you gone away," I whispered.

"I could never go away, Rem," he said as he stepped forward into the silvery yellow light. His wild hair, normally deepest black, was shot with silver streaks and tiny glints of silver danced in his eyes. In partial silhouette, he emerged from the shadows like a forest spirit.

I heard myself gasp, saw my hand quiver. I visibly shook as he approached.

I hurt, I burned, I hoped.

"I'll never be far. You see," he almost growled, low and with an incredible heat I could feel inside my chest, "my heart is here."

He pressed his hand against my chest, moving close enough that I could feel his breath. I didn't dare to hope that he still wanted me, but I couldn't help it.

"Cher, I."

"Shhhhhhh, darlin," he whispered, gently pressing two fingers against my lips.

I watched his eyes soften, and he moved closer, sliding one arm around me. His fingers almost subconsciously began to trace my lips. I could feel the tears welling in my eyes; it was too good to stand, he was too good for me.

"Cher, I don' deserve dis," I confessed, touching his chest above the heart.

His chuckle was so low, I could feel it in my soul. I know my hurt must have registered on my face, because he pulled me tight and caught my eyes in his dark ones.

"That's what you've never understood, Rem. You deserve *everything*."

He seemed so sure, I could feel it, but it was so hard to believe. I tried to get away from him, away from that stare.

"Everything," he insisted quietly, holding me still, holding me close, holding me up.

He was so sure; it couldn't be true, it had to be a mistake.

"Everything," he whispered, gravel and smoke, fear and care, love and truth. He pulled me down to him, lips on mine, rough tongue sliding along, then between my lips, tasting, probing, claiming. My heart beat wildly in my chest, responding in kind to his heart, his love, his truth.

We stayed like that, entwined, for a long time, part of the sounds of the night, the lapping of the waves, the caress of the moon. When we broke, gasping, I had to smile. I guess my heart had a little life yet.

"Come to bed with me?" he asked, holding my hand almost shyly.

"Oui," I nodded, feeling his love, his need, and his fear.

He started to pull me toward shore, then stopped suddenly as he spotted the knife glimmering in the shadows. "One thing, Rem," he started, serious, voice cracking just a bit.

"Oui, cher."

"No more knives?" he asked, looking into my eyes softly, deeply, worried.

Half an hour ago, I had nothing, but now I had everything. Life is this amazing terrible thing, and sometimes I forgot that. I sighed inwardly. Another mistake.

"No, cher. Dat was a mistake. Remy make 'em all de time."

 
end