Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
457
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,105

Forever in Blue Jeans

Summary:

Umm, what I needed to see happen post-5x04
Disclaimer: Not mine, never have been, never wil lbe. They belong to Kripke/McG/et al, and a bunch of other corporate-type ppl, in other words, not me.

Work Text:

~~~~~~~~~

"Cas, that can't happen. None of it," the slight tremor in Dean's voice the only hint that this was more than a simple statement.

"We will find a way," the angel assured him, trying to comfort his hunter as best he could.

"I mean it, Cas, I won't become that, I won't watch you become that." The tension in the words betraying Dean's emotion further.

"Dean-"

"Promise me, Cas, you feel them leaving, you go with them."

Castiel's brow furrowed in distress, "I can't make that vow, Dean."

The hunter clenched his jaw, eyes going cold and stony, "Cas, you were broken- because of ME. I can't and I won't live with that, so you promise me, you swear it, right now. Or so help me, I'll find the nearest street preacher and tell Zach, ‘yes'." Dean's chest was heaving as he spoke, his anger and frustration barely contained.

Castiel lowered his gaze, "No, Dean. If you feel that strongly, I will swear it."

A heavy breath escaped Dean's lips and the tension slowly began to drain from his shoulders. "Thank you."

"Dean, you must realize, I have chosen the side I wish to stand by. Whatever happened, I had accepted the possibility long before."

Dean shook his head, the future Cas' regret-filled words echoing on his soul. He reached out, griping the angel's shoulder tightly, "When I got you killed..." Dean's jaw quivered and he pulled his lips in, wetting them and steadying his shaking, "...this was worse. At least when the archangel... you were fighting for something you believed in. That you didn't believe in anything."

Dean's words solidified Castiel's resolve and faith in his decision. Cocking his head sharply, Castiel slowly raised his eyes, the deep celestial pools trapping Dean's soul as he spoke in solemn earnest, "I will always believe in you."

‘Stupid angel,' Dean thought.

As Dean's eyes closed and his head fell forward in something between defeat and resignation, Castiel's hand pressed to his flushed cheek. "That I can swear to you."

Dean let his face rest against his angel's palm, soaking in the warmth, trust, and something else he refused to put a name to, "You didn't see it, Cas."

The angel smiled, "I don't need to. If there is anything I have learned from you , Dean Winchester, it is the value of faith in those closest to you. You and Sam, together you are a force to be reckoned with; your family is what makes you strong."

The hunter smirked at that, letting his eyes lock with Castiel's once again, "Welcome to the family."

Cas nodded once, allowing their foreheads to rub together, before gently kissing his hunter.