Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,236
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Hits:
947

Friendship First

Summary:

Warrick utters: You don’t know me and Nicky proves him wrong. Warrick/Nick pairing.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:


Nothing ever seems, as it appears.

That's what Warrick thought as he crossed the threshold into the glittering casino's lights.

Behind him, back there at that place he had been was a mirage. She was the most beautiful woman he'd the pleasure of meeting. A deadly pleasure for certain - tantalizing and so desirable.

He'd refused to believe in Nick's implication that Lily wasn't what she'd seemed, that she couldn't be as innocent as she'd appeared. Didn't she have two coasters under her whiskey glass? Well, think man. Think of the implication that she'd known from the beginning why the man in her entourage had OD.

But his fascination with Lily almost got in the way of his logical sense. And he knew better. He was familiar with the entertainment world and its glamour and decadence. Knew that anyone hungry enough for stardom would do almost anything to satisfy the thriving need to make it big, or perhaps, do anything to forget how much they'd lost their soul seeking their goal.

But it was more than that. God, she was beautiful, sexy, and captivating. He could still feel her creamy, café au Lait colored skin under his fingertips. Lily had a singing voice that seeped right into his soul. Reminded him of the days of unfettered chaos: of gambling, of drinking, and of making gorgeous music with his friends. He was young, free, and frivolous, and that time in his life was days of a bygone era.

Yeah, he knew all about the trappings in the entertainment world, but Lily, she was too smart to be ensnared by such things, right?

He'd almost caved into his desire and the memories. He didn't want to believe Nick and what that half of his scientist cum investigator brain was telling him. He was lured by the softness of her, and her ability to wrap that luscious voice around him that made him feel like slurping honey until the bees came stinging. Damn, what a fool he'd been.

Warrick walked with long strides through the casino, his swaying shoulders helped power his legs, aiding him in his escape. Until he noticed another temptation, looming off the sides and this one wasn't any better but at least it didn't have hazel eyes, a heart, and a sweet shaped body.

No, this was a sweetness with an aura all of its own. No, it wasn't the woman with the curly hair wearing the black and white dealer outfit smiling sweetly at him. It was what she was silently offering him that appealed to his growing need to do something, easing the ache in his heart.

Resolve weaken, he gravitated towards the woman in the dealer uniform and sat down at her black jack table.

Like a slow seduction, Warrick stared at the woman and patted the pockets on his pants. He pulled out his wallet, slowly. Felt the push-pull sensation of a drunk ready for another shot of liquor and heard the voice inside his head, which informed him, he was yet making another mistake.

At first hesitant, Warrick gave a modicum of resistance before sliding the money to the dealer. It was a hundred dollar bill. No big deal. It would be just enough of an uplift that he needed helping him forget that he'd kicked Lily out of his life for good.

Warrick heard the scraping sound of someone pulling a chair from beneath the table. He hunched his shoulders and leaned against the edge of the table, avoiding contact. He wasn't in the mood for conversation.

"Hey, Warrick," Nick said.

He jerked around and faced his colleague. " What're you doing here?" he said angrily.

"Playing cards with my friend," Nick said conversationally.

Something inside of him softened somewhat. He hadn't been fair to Nick.

"Yeah, I guess we are that," Warrick admitted.

"You may not feel that way now, but yes, we're friends."

"I hate it when you're right."

"Well, it does happen sometimes," Nick said, smiling.

"Asshole," Warrick replied. He returned Nick's smile even though the smile only went so deep.

"It'll get better, you know. I mean, how can two guys do so badly with finding a decent relationship."

"I don't know. We're both pathetic. Just look at our track records. Working nightshift at CSI doesn't help much. No time for meeting good, clean, honest women."

"Yeah," Nick responded, shaking his head in agreement.

The dealer returned after converting his money into chips. Warrick watched as she placed the chips, stacked nice and neat on the table. He eyed the little plastic tokens as if they were alive. He circled the round edges with the pad of his finger. He hungered to callout the first bet.

"You don't have to, you know."

"What?" Warrick asked, deliberately not understanding.

"Falling prey to your addiction won't change what's happened between you and Lily. It's not worth it, man. You haven't gambled for months now."

Warrick reared back into his seat. He frowned and gave Nick a cold stare. "I thought I told you, you don't know me. Now cut the shit or go away." He returned propping his arms on the table and saw the chips lying on the table. They were like beacons, a signal for him to get with the program and start the game a rolling.

He heard a sigh, a gentle rip of disturbance. Warrick realized that Nick was still with him. The sorry bastard just wouldn't give up.

"Man, I'm thirsty. Do you want to get a drink or something to eat?" Nick asked, looking innocent as he looked out and observed the action in the casino.

Smiling in spite of himself, he said, "It's 3 o'clock in the morning. You want a drink now." Nick was certainly persistent.

Nick shrugged his shoulders. "Why not? We worked hard, and we solved the case. We deserve relaxing after work, man. Besides, I enjoy being in your company."

"You don't give up so easy. Do you, Nick?" Nick's assertion took Warrick by surprise. He hadn't been nice to Nick since the new case had started and he'd gotten himself caught up in the scent of Lily.

"Hey, what did you call me? A pain in the ass. I got to keep up with appearance, you know."

Nick stood up. He squeezed Warrick's shoulders. He left his hand there, rubbing gently. "Well, are you coming?"

Warrick picked up the chips from the table, felt the cold, inert, little pieces of nothingness. What life was if it stripped you bare, took away your dignity, and left you bitter. He would be just like these chips, dead inside and without hope. Being with Lily and dealing with her heroin addiction would've been just that - - a life of bitterness, of eventual hate because she wasn't ready to live.

Warrick leaned into the comfort of the gentle stroking. He looked at Nick and saw gleaming eyes and a 100-watt bright smile. That was a vision of friendship. The tight ball of tension unfurled and released within him. Yes, it was a good thing, having Nick as a friend: a person who could set things right with his honest opinions. It was good having someone like Nick watching your back.

Warrick stood, grabbed his chips, and slung his arms around Nick's shoulders and pressed him close to his side. He said, "Come on, buddy. Let's go and have that drink."

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Nicci.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.