Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of The Phoenix Saga
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
3,274
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
19
Hits:
1,268

Family

Summary:

Upon Cathy's death, Lennie learns that family doesn't always meam relatives.  
Timeframe:  March 4, 1998

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

Pheonix sage prequel 1 Family
by Lavenderjade

 

Lennie Briscoe had had a hard life.  Married twice, divorced twice, 20 years lost to the inside of a bottle.  No family to speak of; his ex-wives and daughters hated him.  He was an aging cop who kept long hours so that he wouldn’t have to spend so much time alone in an empty apartment. He hid behind a tough, cynical façade, joking his way through the day to hide his loneliness.

This day, however, the façade cracked.  He and Rey had arrived at the crime scene only to discover the victim was his own daughter.  Cathy had recently testified against the drug dealer only to have her testimony discredited by the defense lawyer.  Yeah, she had made some mistakes, gotten involved with the wrong people, and cut a deal with the DA in exchange for her testimony.  But what really hurt was the guilt by association with her unreliable drunk of a father.  The implication was that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.  Despite her eyewitness testimony, the perp got off.  And two weeks later, she was dead.

As soon as he realized what was going on, Rey grabbed Lennie and tried to get him away from the crime scene.  Someone else would have to investigate this one.  “Come on, partner, I’m taking you home with me.”  Somehow, he got Lennie into the car and away from that horrible sight.  Lennie was collapsed in the passenger seat sobbing uncontrollably.  A few blocks later, Rey pulled into a quite side street and parked the car.  Rey shivered as he though about the possibility of losing one of his daughters.  He couldn’t even imagine the pain.

“Lennie, I’m so sorry . . .”  As Briscoe raised his red-rimmed eyes, Rey reached out and took his partner into his arms.  They sat there in the car until Lennie’s tears finally ran out.  “Hang in there, partner,” Rey said softly as he released his friend and started the car back towards his home.  The rest of the trip, Lennie sat in silence as Rey navigated the streets of New York.

Debra had taken the girls over to visit her mother, so the house was quiet when they arrived.  As Lennie sank heavily onto the couch, Rey broke the silence.

“Can I get you anything?  Glass of water?”

Lennie looked up at him and managed the barest of smiles.  “Yeah.  Thanks, Rey . . .”

Somehow, Rey knew the thanks weren’t for the water.  “Hey, I’m your partner.  I’m here for you.”

Rey turned to the kitchen to get the water, and to call their boss.

Anita Van Buren had gotten the request from dispatch to send another detective unit to the crime scene, and when the phone rang, she jumped on it hoping to hear from Curtis what was going on. Before she could get a word in edgewise, Rey jumped in.
“LT, the victim is Lennie’s daughter.  The one who testified a few weeks ago.  She’s dead.”
“Oh God . . .how is he?”
“Pretty much a basket case.  I got him out of there as fast as I could – we’re back at my house now.”
“Good.  Stay with him today, OK?  The last thing he needs is to be alone through something like this . . .”
“Yeah, I know.”

And make sure he doesn’t get near any booze.  The unspoken instruction.  Just 2 years earlier, Lennie had fallen off the wagon hard after witnessing the first state execution under New York’s new death penalty law.  Lennie and Rey had caught the perp, and had felt obligated to see the case through to its end.  It had been an awful day for them all, ending with the death in a DUI hit and run of ADA Claire Kincade as she drove Lennie home from the bar.  Lennie had escaped uninjured, except for his soul.  It had been a long hard climb for him to get his life back together after that day.  And now this.  If anything could push him back off the wagon, this was it.

When Rey came back into the living room, Lennie was standing there staring at a photo of Rey’s family, tears again streaming down his face.  Rey handed him the glass of water and gently took the photo from his shaking hands.

Lennie gulped at the water, then shakily put the glass down.  “Rey, I can’t stay here.  I know what you’re trying to do, and I appreciate it, but I just can’t stay here.  Your family just reminds me of everything I’ve lost . . .”

Rey put his arm around Lennie’s shaking shoulders and gently guided him back to the couch.   They sat together in silence until Rey realized that Lennie had given in to the emotional exhaustion and fallen asleep in his arms.  He got up, careful not to wake Lennie, and gently settled his sleeping friend into a more comfortable position.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over at the DA’s office, Jack McCoy and Jamie Ross were discussing a case.

“OK, get Briscoe and Curtis to verify that and we’ll take it to the Grand Jury,” McCoy instructed his assistant.  Jamie nodded and headed back to her office to call the detectives.  However, Lt. Van Buren answered her call.  She hurried back to Jack’s office to share the horrible news.

“Jack . . .”
There was something in Jamie’s voice that warned Jack that trouble was coming.  He looked up to see the usually unflappable ADA with a tear rolling down her cheek.  “Lennie’s daughter, the one who testified?  She was killed this morning!”

“Oh no . . .”

Like all of Lennie’s friends, Jack’s first thought was how the recovering alcoholic would make it through this sober.  He thought back to that fateful night 2 years ago.  His world had nearly ended when Claire died.  Both he and Lennie had felt guilty of somehow having caused her death, and over the following months they had spent hours talking.  The shared pain had brought them together in a way their casual working friendship could not.  But underneath it all, Jack had always also felt guilty of helping Lennie take that step off the wagon that night.  This time, he vowed, would be different.

“Where is he?”
“Anita said Rey took him back to his house.”
“I know Lennie.  Somehow, I can’t see him being comfortable around Rey’s family right now.”
Jamie nodded.
“Clear my calendar for tomorrow, will you?  I have a feeling I won’t be in.”  At Jamie’s questioning look, Jack replied, “I let him down last time.  Not again.  Let Adam know for me, will you?”
Jamie nodded and left as Jack reached for the phone to call Rey.

 

Rey gently shook Lennie’s shoulder to wake him up.  “Hey, Lennie, better wake up now unless you want to be here when Debra and the girls get back.”  Lennie’s eyes opened slowly, the lashes crusted with his tears.  “Rey?”  “Don’t worry, Lennie, we got it covered.  I’m gonna take you back to your place, and Jack McCoy will meet you there.”

Lennie sighed and rubbed his eyes.  Somehow out of the tragedy of Claire’s death, he and Jack had found a friendship neither one had expected.  This was good – Jack he could talk to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rey had dropped him back at his apartment, and now Lennie stared at the telephone, terrified of the call he had to make.  “Gloria?  It’s me, Lennie.”  His ex-wife’s sarcastic voice came back, he didn’t even hear what she was saying.  “Gloria, please, not now.  Sit down.  I have some bad news.  Cathy’s dead.”

Oh, God, he had said it.  It had to be true.  He couldn’t hide from it.  Somehow, he managed to tell Gloria the few details he had and told her to contact Lt. Van Buren to get the rest and to claim the body.

Gloria screamed at him through the telephone, “How could you let your daughter die?  You’re a cop, you’re supposed to serve and PROTECT!  Why didn’t you protect HER?”

//That’s what I’ve been asking myself all day// he thought as the anger washed over him.  For now he directed it at his ex.  “So it’s MY fault?  Like everything is my fault?  Damn it, Gloria, I can’t deal with your crap right now.” He slammed the phone down and stalked around the apartment looking for something to throw.  His fury was interrupted by a knock at the door.  He yanked the door open and screamed “WHAT?” before he remembered that Jack was coming.

“Hey, Lennie, it’s just me.”  Seeing the look of concern on his friend’s face pushed Lennie back over the edge into the tears hiding behind the anger.  Jack moved into the apartment, shutting and locking the door behind him before moving to Lennie’s side and gently laying a hand on his arm.  “I know, Lennie . . . I know.”

But Lennie was in no mood for comfort.  He roughly shook off Jack’s hand and stalked across the room.  “Dammit, Jack, I’m a cop.  I SHOULD have protected her, instead of encouraging her to testify against that scum.  She was afraid this would happen!  She knew it!  And we just turned her loose out there after we blew the case, thanks for testifying, sorry we didn’t put the bastard away, have a nice life!”

Jack sighed and sank down onto the couch.  The system really hadn’t worked this time – he had no easy answers for his friend.  “What can I say, Lennie?  The system isn’t perfect.”  He realized that right now Lennie needed to vent, so he sat back and let his friend rant for the better part of an hour until finally he ran out of steam and collapsed onto the couch next to Jack.

“Aw, shit, Jack, we really couldn’t have done anything different, could we?  But there’s no way in hell Gloria will ever understand that, is there?  For her, this will always be just another – no, the worst of all the great Lennie Briscoe screw-ups.”   

Jack reached out and gently placed his hand on Lennie’s shoulder.  “Let me guess – you had just called your ex to tell her the bad news before I got here?”

Lennie nodded and leaned slightly into Jack’s embrace.  “God, I’m tired.”
“Ex-wives will do that to you.”
Lennie let out a sound that might just have been a laugh. //Ah hah!//  thought Jack; //an opening!  Time to lighten the mood. // Jack chuckled and started into a story about his ex and the insane hoops she had tired to put him through during their divorce, and for the next several hours they traded war stories from the front lines of marriage over a pizza that finally came an hour late.

About midnight, Lennie closed his eyes and leaned back into the corner of the couch with a sigh.  “Thanks, Jack.  I think I might even be able to get some sleep tonight.  You’d better head home, it’s getting late.”

“What makes you think I’m going anywhere?  Lennie, you may be feeling OK now, but at 4AM when you wake up and the realization hits you again, and I guarantee it WILL, that’s the real danger zone.  The night after Claire died, I really tried to bury myself in a bottle of Scotch.  I don’t want you to have to face that alone.”

Lennie thought a minute about protesting. Then he looked into Jack’s eyes, and realized that his friend was right.  It really would be a bad idea for him to be alone right now. It occurred to him how lucky he was that he had such good friends to lean on this time around.  He managed a small smile and nodded, “OK, you win.  I don’t have much in the way of guest quarters . . .”

“Do you know how many nights I’ve slept on the couch in my office?  Just get me a pillow and blanket and I’ll be fine out here.”

The next morning, Jack was regretting those words.  Lennie’s old sofa had definitely seen better days and was nowhere close to as comfortable as the nice leather one in Jack’s office.  He groaned as he tried to stretch the kinks out.  He knew Lennie was going to need help to get through the rest of the week, especially the funeral, but something was going to have to give if Jack was going to survive it.

He found the coffee machine and managed to get a pot going before Lennie emerged from his bedroom wearing the most god-awful plaid flannel bathrobe Jack had ever seen.  Somehow, he kept from making a snarky remark and simply said “Morning Lennie.  Sleep OK?”

“Mostly.  You were right – I did wake up around 4AM.  But somehow just knowing you were out here made it OK.  Knowing I wasn’t alone.  Thanks, Jack.”

“Don’t mention it.  But I was thinking – I actually have a real guest room – why don’t you pack some things and spend the rest of the week at my place?  At least until after the funeral?”

Lennie was touched by Jack’s offer.  Truth be told, he knew it wouldn’t be a good idea for him to hide out here alone.  Gloria would take care of notifying the family; he could just change his machine to say to call Jack’s number if anybody did try to reach him.  Why the hell not?  So many times he had struggled to get through tough times alone.  This time he had people to lean on.  Wow – when had that happened?  He shook his head in wonderment.

“Lennie, come on, I really think this would be for the best.”

Lennie looked up and realized Jack had taken his movement as a no.  “Sorry, Jack, was thinking about something else.  That wasn’t a no.  I appreciate the offer – thank you.”

Jack smiled with relief.  “OK, then how about this – I rode the bike over last night, so I’ll head home now and clean up a bit– I wasn’t exactly expecting company! – and you can pack and take a cab over in a bit?”  //And stash the scotch while I’m at it . .//  Lennie nodded.  “Sounds like a plan.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The morning of the funeral dawned bright and cold.  Lennie was NOT looking forward to this.  Not only would this be the hardest thing he had ever faced, he would also have to face Gloria.  And somehow he knew she would make it 10 times harder than it had to be.   He glanced at his reflection in the mirror as he donned his best dark suit and sighed.  // God, I feel old //, he thought.  // No father should have to bury his little girl . . . //  No.  Not going there now.  Too many people to face today; he had to keep himself together.  If he fell apart now, no way could he face everybody.  He took a deep breath and focused on just getting through this day.

A tap on the door then Jack stuck his head in to the guest room.  “Lennie, the car is here.  You ready?”

“How could I ever be ready for this day?” Lennie muttered as his trembling hands made a mess of tying his necktie.  Jack came into the room and gently took the offending fabric, finishing the process for him, then put his hands on Lennie’s shoulders and squeezed, trying to somehow give his friend the strength to continue.  Lennie sighed again and nodded.  “Let’s go.”

In the living room, Anita Van Buren was waiting for them.  Since Jack’s only transport was the bike, she had volunteered for chauffeur duty today.  She stood as she heard them coming down the hallway and reached out as if to offer her condolences.  “Lennie . . .”

“Please, Lieutenant, not now.  If I lose it now . . .”

Anita nodded, understanding.  The three of them walked in silence to the elevator and down to her car in the garage below the building.  It wasn’t a long drive to the Funeral Home.  Anita dropped them off then went to park the car for the procession to the cemetery.

Lennie trembled as he walked into the room where Cathy lay.  It didn’t help that the moment she saw him, Gloria looked like she wanted to kill him there on the spot.  Jack spotted Jamie Ross and a knot of Lennie’s friends from the precinct, and moved to stand with them while Lennie took his place with the immediate family, despite Gloria’s open hostility.  Their other daughter Julia was the only one who stepped forward to give Lennie a quick hug, but then she too stood firmly on her mother’s side of the camp.  Standing there with his “family,” Lennie had never felt so alone.

Lennie didn’t care much for religion of any sort, and he felt especially out of place here at a Jewish funeral.  But this was his little girl, and nobody was going to keep him from saying goodbye to her.  The Rabbi entered and began the ritual prayers.  It was a short simple ceremony, and before he knew it, it was over.  The pallbearers carried the casket holding his most precious treasure out to the hearse as Lennie’s tears poured silently down.  He hung back, letting the “family” lead the procession out.  Anita and Jack were suddenly there beside him, gently steering him toward the car.

When they arrived at the cemetery, it wasn’t long before Lennie was surrounded by his friends and colleagues.  The funeral seemed to consist of two separate parties; his and Gloria’s.  After the ceremony was over and people started to disperse, Gloria stalked over to him and began shouting.  “How DARE you sully her memory by coming here!  How DARE you!  You all but killed her yourself!”  Her shrieks and pummeling fists caught Lennie by surprise; for a moment he just stood there and took it.  It was long enough for Anita to step forcefully between them.

“Alright, that’s ENOUGH!  Mrs. Briscoe, I don’t know what twisted version of reality you’re living in, but Lennie is one of the finest cops and most decent men I’ve ever known.  He’s hurting enough today, he doesn’t need you to make it worse.  Now walk away from here before I arrest you for assault!”

With Anita leading the charge and Jack and Rey at his sides, Gloria quickly backed down and stalked off to join the rest of the family.  Lennie stood there looking dumbfounded at his friends’ defense of him. It was then that he realized that family didn’t have anything to do with blood or marriage.  His family had closed ranks around him today, supporting him in silence earlier just as Anita had withheld her condolences so he could retain his composure, and now they all stood by him as the tears washed away the grief and replaced it with a warm sense of belonging.  One by one, each of them came to him now and said a few words of comfort, offered a hand or a hug.  Anita, Rey, Jack, Jamie, god, even Adam Schiff had shown up!  And was that Mike?  His old partner, Mike Logan, pushed through the crowd to take his hand then pull him into a rough embrace.  His tears flowed freely now, but they were a mixture of pain and joy as he realized just how lucky he was.

Eventually, the crowd thinned as people went back to work.  Finally, only Jack and Anita remained.  Anita now laid her hand on his arm and asked “You gonna be OK, Lennie?”
He smiled at her and reached over to lay his other hand over hers.  “Yeah.  Thanks for standing up to Gloria for me.  I don’t think I could have done that today.”
“You’re one of our own, Lennie.  We take care of our own.”

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author LavenderJade.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.

Series this work belongs to: