Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,533
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
925

Desire

Summary:

SUMMARY: "Sometimes the greatest passion is the one that goes unspoken."

Work Text:


 

"DESIRE"
A very short "Harsh Realm" story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL
* * * * *

Pinocchio could not resist. Touching, inhaling the beautiful scent that he  found so intoxicating it was erotic. Exciting, exotic. The passion ruled him  and he was powerless to resist though he tried. He ached with the effort, muscles and nerves trembling as he lay awake in his sleeping bag trembling with desire. He had to hold back. Pace himself. He almost enjoyed the agony of his self imposed restraint, it made the anticipation more glorious.

Hobbes was fast asleep, snoring softly. Every time he twitched or moved in his sleep Pinocchio froze. He really should not be doing this in the same tent but he could not help himself. The thought that Hobbes might catch him was a further turn on, though not one he would ever admit to. He opened his mouth and slid his right hand slowly through the outer layers, going by touch now. His sensitive fingertips softly brushing satin. He closed his eyes, the better to let his imagination fill in the blanks and add another layer of pleasure to his rising fever of anticipation. How long had it been since he had done this? How long since he had been able to acknowledge his one true love without fear of being found out and brought to book? A smile curved his lips. He almost sighed out loud but caught himself just in time.

He was not sure how much longer he could hold on. When he could no longer stand it he raised his hand to his lips and gave in. A look of pure bliss on his face until he was suddenly and rudely shaken. He almost choked. Florence had come in to wake him for his watch and caught him. The noise of him spluttering, red faced, ashamed, woke Hobbes and that in turn woke Dexter who had been lying across his chest in doggy rapture. Pinocchio had to sit up to breathe, trying to catch his breath as something caught in his throat blocking his airway. Hobbes looked questioningly at Florence. She just glared at Pinocchio then tugged the top of the sleeping bag out of his hand to reveal the bar of chocolate he had been hiding. There was a square missing. The wrapper carefully peeled back not torn.

One look. That was all it took. Before anyone realised what was about to happen, Dexter dived off Hobbes' chest and grabbed the bar of chocolate. A wail of inhuman suffering squeezed out of Pinocchio's throat, almost bringing tears to his eyes. He tried to spring up and chase after the dog but Florence sat on his chest. Hard. And glared at him. <How could you?>

"It was my chocolate!"

Hobbes frowned at him. "Yeah, but we'd saved it for your birthday. Hidden it."

<Not well enough> Thought Florence.

Pinocchio could not bear to look at them. He felt so small. He knew it had been meant as a surprise but his birthday was forever away and he had ruined it. Florence was hurt. Angry. Hobbes was surprised he could be so sneaky. They were disappointed in him. He had never felt so rotten. So exposed to scrutiny. It was not a nice feeling.

"Why did you do it?"

He glared at Hobbes. "Why do you think?"

Hobbes got up and looked at him for a moment. "Why do you have to spoil everything?" He said quietly.

Pinocchio felt the threat of tears and closed his eyes. He was not going to cry. He wasn't. It was just a stupid bar of chocolate for Christ's sake. It wasn't as if he had stolen the freeking thing. They had got it for him. So what if he ate it early? Nobody freeking well died, did they? Well? Did they? Right now he wished he could. He wished the whole damn earth would open up beneath him and swallow him whole.

Florence got up and left the tent. When Pinocchio opened his eyes again the tent was empty. They couldn't even bear to be in the same place as him. He hung his head and felt as if his heart would break. After a couple of minutes he got up, put his jacket on and went to stand his watch. He could
not see Florence. Obviously she had stomped off to her tent to catch some sleep. After a while he spotted Hobbes walking back into camp carrying Dexter. There was no sign of the chocolate bar. The stupid dog had obviously done better than he had. Hobbes did not look at him but went straight to his tent and closed the flap. Pinocchio wished he had a drink. He wanted to get so smashed he would never be sober again but good things like that never happened to him. He sighed and went to check on the perimeter. He had never felt so miserable in all his freeking life. Silently he let the tears fall until he was all cried out. He stayed away from camp as long as he could. Not wanting to go back but not wanting to leave his friends unguarded either. Why did everything have to hurt so much?

After a while he made his reluctant way back into camp and stopped at the smell of smoke. A stab of fear touched his heart. Hurrying now, he ran into the camp to find Florence had got a fire going. He frowned. What was going on? He turned his head and saw that Hobbes had not gone back to bed after all. He had gone to fetch some water which was now placed on the fire to heat for tea. His mouth must have been hanging open because they actually smiled at him. He almost smiled back but was still unsure. Was he forgiven? Or were they setting him up to knock him down again? Hobbes went back into their tent and Florence came over and took his gun gently out of his hand and steered him over to the fire.

"What's going on, Florence?"

<You'll see>

He sat down and was surprised when she touched his face, gently wiping away the last of his tears before brushing his lips with a kiss. He had to be dreaming. That was it. He was freeking well dreaming. Any minute now Dorothy would appear looking for her red shoes. He looked into her eyes and saw no accusation, no anger, no hatred. Just love and something else. Understanding. It made him want to cry all over again.

"I'm sorry, Florence. I ruined everything."

She shook her head and shushed him with another kiss then hugged him. Her way of telling him how much she loved him. He felt the pain and sorrow drain from him. Stength pouring back into his heart. Then she got up and started to pour mugs of tea. Hobbes came back out of the tent with Dexter trotting at his feet. Pinocchio was about to get up and go for a walk. If Hobbes started on him again he did not think he would be able to take it. It was too much. But Hobbes surprised him with a smile. Seeing the confusion on his friend's face Hobbes' smile widened. He took his hand from behind his back and handed Pinocchio the bar of chocolate.

"It's got one square missing and a few teeth marks in it but I washed it in the stream. Almost good as new."

Pinocchio looked down at the chocolate bar in utter amazement. No one but Hobbes would do a stupid thing like that. Who heard of washing chocolate in a stream?

"Happy Birthday, Pinocchio!"

"It's not my birthday, Hobbes."

Hobbes shrugged. Florence was watching his reaction closely. "Who cares? I don't think we could keep it until your real birthday anyway."

Pinocchio looked at the bar he held in his hands. More precious to him than gold. The aroma drifted up to him and he found himself inhaling the delicious scent. They were watching him closely. He tried not to smile but it was impossible. A feeling this good could not be faked. He tried to sound grouchy but could not quite pull it off. "You're both mad."

They smiled back then sat by the fire next to him. He looked from one loved face to the other and grinned at them. Then carefully, making sure no crumbs or slivers fell on the ground, he broke the bar into four pieces and gave the smallest piece to Dexter. Hobbes and Florence tried to give their squares back but he insisted. Something this good was made to be shared. Seeing the looks of pleasure on their faces when they popped a square in their mouths he knew they agreed with him.

Pinocchio ate his chocolate last. Slowly he put a square in his mouth and closed his eyes. A look of complete bliss transformed his face. The grumpy features became almost angelic. Harsh Realm seldom got better than this.
    
 
********** T H E   E N D **********