Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
502
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
4
Hits:
981

Flesh and Blood

Summary:

A look inside Castiel's head... takes place during 4x22
Disclaimer: So not mine, never have been, never will be. They belong to Kripke/McG/et al, and a bunch of other corporate-type ppl, in other words, not me.

Work Text:

~~~~~~~~~

Flesh and blood. That's all these human's were. Insects destroying their world for fleeting perceptions of gratification.
That's what the others had said. That's what they had shown him- Zachariah and the others- when they'd ripped him from this shell.

He remembered all they had shown him. All they had said. And the allegiance they had wrung from him.
It would be so simple to ignore these creatures of flesh and blood. To only follow his Celestial calling. To only see the destruction and suffering they cause themselves and each other. To overlook the great beauty and great kindness these creatures could share. To not understand and know that that these beings of flesh and blood were more than any Celestial being could be. That their capacity for pain and suffering and hate was what drove them to create their own exquisite beauty and to see the beauty around them.

The others had thrown Dean in his face, asking why he would cast his lot with the mortal after all he had done. Dean may have been destined to end their Great War, but, as the others kept reminding him, Dean was still a liar, a cheat, a slut, and a thief.
They never looked for his motivations, never saw that he lied to protect others, that he cheat and stole to survive, that he took comfort the only way he could.
They never saw the beauty and resilience of him- those aspects of flesh and blood that made Dean their Warrior. They were blind; either by choice or coercion- the might of the Heavenly Host struck terror into more than merely the hearts of Men. Yet it was a man, one of those insignificant creatures of flesh and blood, who had the strength to challenge the Host, to question their authority, and doubt their motives.
They would never understand that all the things they saw as the weaknesses of flesh and blood were strengths, were the very things that would save them.

Flesh and blood. Just like the body he now inhabited. The body of a mortal man who had only ever believed, had faith, trusting in God the Father and in him as one of His warriors.
Even now, he could still feel the betrayal in Jimmy's words as they echoed through the ether, the man's loss of faith- a fundamental part of him changed, destroyed, forever. Still, when the time came, instead of accepting his reward- an eternity of peace and happiness at the side of his Father in Heaven- his Vessel sacrificed himself for another. For a life not yet lived. For flesh and blood.

Strange to think of Heaven's Warrior and his own Vessel in such similar terms. Two men who were virtual polar opposites in every way. One lacking faith, but slowly gaining it; the other once devout, now lost, yet both unhesitantly gave everything they were for another. Both chose to endure their own suffering to save the ones they loved.
Claire.
Sam.
Flesh.
Blood.