Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
552
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,272

The Curse of the Dread Pirate Roberts

Summary:

Wesley helps out the crew of the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Work Text:

It is well known, actually it was a widely regarded fact that the Dread Pirate Roberts never took prisoners. It was widely supposed that he was cruel and ruthless.

Rumours about the legendary pirate floated like a feather on a breeze. Most people gave them scant attention, until word that a Curse had brought the Dread Pirate Roberts low.

The mightily cruel pirate was undone and his crew left weak and weary. Villages and towns were rife with the gossip. It became a widely talked about, in the local squares, at court. Even to a lowly farm cottage where his former allies quietly lived.

Many scoffed at such scurrilous claims of a curse until a bard travelling from the outer townships confirmed it. He had passed through a tavern when the Pirate’s crew had arrived.

They had landed at a safe cove and staggered into the dark shanty town. It was noted that they kept to themselves unless they visited the brothels. No words were spoken to those outside their mates.

The townsfolk watched with curious eyes. They observed the sallow skin and worn expressions on the once fierce pirates. There was no sign of the pirate himself, but that was not unusual. It was widely known that the Dread Pirate kept to his ship when in port.

~ ~ ~

It was at the next port of call that the Man In Black caught up with the crew onshore. He was grateful the small township was one of the closest to the farm, he didn’t want Buttercup left alone too long.

Carefully, he observed the men and while lurking in shadows near the docks, he discerned the origin of the curse. Chuckling to himself, he slipped away, intent on paying a visit to Miracle Max.

The next day The Man In Black stepped from the shadows and challenged the sailor guarding the gangplank of the Dread Pirate’s ship.

“Ho, there. I’m here to see Roberts.”

The sailor jumped to his feet, swaying awkwardly at the sudden motion. “Nay, ye shan’t pass.”

The Man In Black quirked his eyebrow. “Not even if I say I have a cure for the curse?”

The sailor gave curt tight laugh that was smothered by a wailing moan coming from the boat. “There’s no cure you can give us. We live with it night and day”

“Ah, but you see, I know the Pirate and his cabin boy.”

At that remark the sailor gave him a sharp-eyed look. “So, you know the lad.”

The Man In Black, called Wesley by those near and dear to him, nodded sagely. “Fezzik? Hmm, yes. Strapping lad wouldn’t you day? Does the knock rule stand?”

The sailor relaxed at the reference to a shipboard rule. “You don’t start knocking if the boat if rocking. Yes, though it doesn’t help us none... the rocking never stops. That’s why we’re cursed!”

Wesley laughed out loud. The sailor glanced toward the boat as another moan cut the air. “We’ve passed them off as ghosts in most ports.”

The Man In Black clapped the man on the shoulder. “Buck up, me hearty! I’ve come from Miracle Max with the cure.” He revealed the seasickness potion in his hand.

The sailor smiled and then said thoughtfully. “Captain can’t walk straight no more, can Max help out there?”

Fin