Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
451
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,649

Call From Home

Summary:

Dirk gets a call from home.

Work Text:

 

Eva sat trying to figure Dirk out. He was lying on the back of the boat, trusting that his partner would guide them safely through the murky waters of the Niger River. He must have felt her eyes on him as he baked in the sun. Dirk rolled over to encounter Eva’s hot gaze. He smiled at her then turned back to his sun worship. Behind her she heard a soft snort from his partner.

She was a doctor; that meant she was smart. She noticed things.

She noticed they both kept their sunglasses on, while on the boat. She suspected they were both suffering hangovers. While flirting with the handsome adventurer, she had noted cool looks from his partner and friend. She noticed that the flirting never went further while Al was around.

After their grand adventure, Eva found herself frolicking in the surf with the adventurer. Since Dirk was always a sun worshipper, they had ventured to the beach on Dirk’s final day of his visit. She admired his tanned taut body, relishing the feel of it as they romped in the waves.

Finally, she thought, he’s making a move, as he kissed her in the surf. Losing his grip on her in the tossing foam, Dirk made no effort to keep her close but went back to playful flirting. She was back to trying to figure him out.

Her puzzle was solved that night. Dirk would never do more than kiss and flirt when they were alone. She was later than usual leaving the living room and Dirk’s company. Eva had just reached the door and had turned to say goodnight when he received a phone call.

“Hey, Al!”

She watched from the door as Dirk’s taut body reclined to a casual slump across the sofa. She heard as his voice softened to an affectionate tone he never used with her.

She wasn’t always slow… she noticed things… eventually.

“Yeah, wifey. Lots of surf and sun.”

She mused to herself, no mention of their kiss. Did that make her the other woman?

“Miss you too. See you soon, love.”

She was lost in her thoughts while Dirk chatted quietly with the other man, who she finally realised was his other half. Startled when he moved, heading towards the bedrooms, Eva’s attention locked onto his sheepish look.

“Sorry, call from home.”

Eva smiled softly. “Home. You mean Al?”

Dirk’s face lit up as he smiled and nodded. “It’s been fun, Eva, here in Monterey, I’ve had fun, really.”

Eva smiled at him. “But now you’re homesick?”

Dirk shrugged and gave a soft grin. “You understand, don’t you?”

Eva nodded.

Yup, it was official. She was the other woman.