Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of V.I.S.S.
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2009-08-28
Words:
10,302
Chapters:
3/3
Comments:
1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,881

Meanwhile in Italy

Summary:

Summary: Sequel to Almost Famous, straight after Angel tells everyone he and Spike are a couple. An urgent call comes in from the Council of Watchers demanding they remove certain vampires from Italy where they are causing havoc with the local slayers.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Fandom: AtS AU
Genre: comedy and slash
Warnings/Rating: PG13 for no other reason than I'm thinking of the children.
Characters: Spike/Angel, ensemble, OC's
Disclaimer: if I owned them I would also own a flash house in Los Angeles with a cute pool boy and an even cuter gardener.
The best thing about spring_spangel is that it is sending me back to the sequels I should have written by now.
This one is for Luba at the wonderful site http://www.the-crypt.net/ who I promised this to ages ago.

Chapter Text



Meanwhile in Italy
by Lilithangel
abchainey@xtra.co.nz
http://www.livejournal.com/users/lilithbint

 

“You demand we remove these vampires,” Angel said his voice flat.

“Dammit Angel,” Giles’ voice came through the speaker phone, “they are making life very difficult for our young slayers. Whatever your agenda with Wolfram & Hart you must see the difficulty these souled vampires are causing.”

“Why don’t they just stake them,” Angel said, “you didn’t seem to have a problem with that before.”

Spike put one hand on Angel’s shoulder knowing how angry Giles could make him and wanting to calm the big vampire down before he said something more.

Spike could almost hear the sound of Giles polishing his glasses over the phone and shared a grin with Wesley who he knew would be able to hear the same thing.

Angel couldn’t hear anything over the grinding of his teeth. He always got stressed talking to Giles, the uncomfortable history between them had been made worse since Spike had told him the story about Robin Wood.

“Why is it our problem Giles?” Wesley stepped into the conversation before the tension escalated.

“They are claiming they got these souls because of Angel and Spike at some sort of magic school,” Giles said, the disbelief thick in his voice.

“It was a fascinating place,” Wesley said leaning forward in his seat, “it felt like something out of a fantasy novel but it was actually real.”

“Proper lessons in magical theory and practice?” Everyone could almost see Giles sitting forward in his seat in a mirror of Wesley’s position.

“And the books they had,” Wesley said with enthusiasm, “I saw texts I didn’t know still existed.”

A cough from Angel brought the conversation back to the matter at hand.

“These vampires have started sending letters to the office demanding that our slayers ensure they are not staking souled vampires. Two of our watchers have had to take medical stress leave and three of our young slayers are refusing to kill anything. Two of them keep sneaking away and not to go to nightclubs.” The stress in Giles’ voice is obvious to everyone in the room.

Spike snorted with laughter at the image of Giles trying to deal with sobbing Watchers and slayers.

“This is not a laughing matter Spike,” Giles said, “How are we supposed to teach these girls the mission if all they can see are the ambiguities?”

“Ask the Slayer, she figured it out,” Spike said.

“She came to a compromise with two of you not dozens, and not dozens of the strangest bunch of tourists Italy has ever seen,” Giles replied, “two of them keep taking my slayers measurements and telling them they need to eat more.”

Everyone mouthed Gladys and Maud’s names and shared smiles that somebody else was encountering the hurricane that was the two grandmotherly vampires.

“So what exactly do you want us to do?” Angel said.

“Send someone to fetch them and keep them out of Europe,” Giles said.

“And what’s in it for us?” Spike asked.

“My undying gratitude,” Giles said.

“How about a formal exchange of information?” Wesley said ignoring Giles’ sarcasm, “you agree to suspend your opinion that we have gone over to the side of evil and we ignore your treatment of various members of our team. We share what we know when either asks for assistance.”

“That could be possible,” Giles said, “we will have to discuss this further of course.”

“Of course,” Wesley said.

“But for now you would like us to remove the offending vampires from Europe?” Angel said.

“If you would be so kind.” They could almost hear Giles grinding his teeth.

“Except for Reggie and Veronica,” Spike said.

“Who?” Giles said.

“Reggie and Veronica,” Spike repeated, “they’re on honeymoon we can’t ask them to leave early.”

“True,” Wesley said, “it was a big deal for them to raise the money for the trip it would be very unfair.”

“These are vampires,” Giles broke in, “on honeymoon?”

“Yeah, we all went to the wedding, was very nice,” Spike said.

“Vampires on honeymoon,” Giles repeated.

“You better watch out Rupes, repeating yourself is a sign of senility you know,” Spike said.

A harrumph was all the response they got.

“Fine,” Angel said, “we will come and get them but the Council will be liable for the loss.”

“What loss?” the weakness in Giles’ voice told them he was close to breaking.

“The group paid for a two weeks all expenses trip to Italy. If we bring them home now they will be out almost a week on their trip,” Angel managed to keep the smirk out of his voice.

Giles sputtered but finally agreed. They managed to end the conversation before bursting out laughing.

“So how about you and I go and fetch them Angel?” Spike said as the laughter eased.

“Us?” Angel looked surprised.

“They are more likely to listen to the originals than us,” Wesley said.

“We can take the jet and be over and back before we’re missed,” Spike said.

“True and maybe pay a visit to Giles on the way, just for courtesy sake,” the expression on Angel’s face was almost pure Angelus.

“You told me we can’t eat the Watcher,” Spike said.

Wesley looked startled at the banter and then relaxed deciding that if it had been Angelus Spike would be the first to realise and stop him.

“So when do we leave?” Spike said.

“Tonight?” Angel looked at Wesley for confirmation.

Wesley nodded, “we can get everything organised. The jet will be ready to go. I am assuming it will just be you and Spike going.”

“It’s probably best,” Angel said, “firstly because we all can’t go and second because we may have to bring them back with us.” Angel’s face was a picture of horror at the concept of spending that long trapped with the members of VISS on an aeroplane.

“You’re absolutely right Angel,” Wesley said quickly, “we can hold the fort as it were.”

Everyone fled the office before Angel could make any changes to the plan.

Spike groaned and slumped in his chair, “can’t we just charter them something to come home in?”

“We could,” Angel said.

“And charge it to the Council of Wankers,” Spike added gleefully.

* * * * *

As they settled into the jet Spike pulled out two large bottles of whiskey, “I am not drinking those pathetic excuses for booze they supply,” he said at Angel’s look.

“Okay but at least use glasses,” Angel said, pulling out a bottle of his own, “I still don’t like this flying business.”

Spike grabbed a stack of plastic cups hanging next to a water cooler in the corner. Sitting down next to Angel he handed over half and got into the serious matter of forgetting the next 12 hours.

A couple of hours later neither were even close to being drunk due to being lip locked for most of it. Angel blamed Spike for licking his lips provocatively when the whiskey was poured. Spike blamed Angel for taking to the whole kissing thing with such enthusiasm.

Spike had ended up climbing into Angel’s lap to ease the crick in his neck. Not that Angel minded as this allowed him to wrap his hands around Spike’s waist and slid his fingers under fabric to meet cool smooth flesh.

Unfortunately even the seats in private jets are not really designed to have two bodies on them especially when said bodies are squirming around. Spike’s knee managed to push the recline button which would have been fine if they were expecting it. Instead Angel fell backwards his teeth still imbedded in Spike’s lip. Spike was forced to follow and cracked his head into Angel’s nose.

When they picked themselves up off the floor both were bleeding and Angel did not argue when Spike reached for one of the discarded bottles of vodka and cracked it open.

The first swallow brought out a curse from Spike when the alcohol touched his torn lip. Pinching his nose Angel grabbed the bottle off Spike and rinsed his mouth out before swallowing.

“Pillock, what did you do that for?” Spike demanded.

“I didn’t do anything,” Angel said.

“Well the chair didn’t fall down by itself,” Spike said.

“Well I didn’t do anything,” Angel repeated.

“Except seduce me into climbing into your lap,” Spike said and then realised the absurdity of his words.

Choosing discretion for the remainder of the trip they kept to their own seats and shared the bottle of vodka.

When the plane touched down both were pleasantly fuzzed and not prepared for the blond bundle that launched itself into Spike’s arms as they disembarked.

“You’re here,” Andrew said with delight as Spike carefully peeled him free.

“What are you doing here Andrew?” Angel said.

“Mr Giles sent me to be your liaison with the Council,” Andrew said proudly.

“Pretty nasty revenge streak Giles has got,” Angel said.

Spike smirked but moved to Angel’s side when Andrew started to wax lyrical about the good fight and responsibility interspersed with film references that made Spike nervous and simply confused Angel.

“That’s fine,” Angel interrupted Andrew, “but we need to get to our hotel before sunrise.” He looked past Andrew to the man holding a sign with Mr Angel written on it.

“That looks like our ride,” Spike said prying Andrew’s hand off his arm again.

“We’ll call you when we get ourselves settled,” Angel said dismissing Andrew.

Spike felt himself weakening at the pathetic look of disappointment on Andrew’s face. Then the erection he had been sporting since the plane reminded him of how much he wanted to be alone with Angel.

“Give us your number,” Spike said fishing a pen out of his jacket and searching for some paper.

“No need,” Andrew pulled out a card case with a flourish and presented Spike with a gilt edged business card. Spike bit his lip trying not to laugh at the ornate gothic script in both Italian and English announcing Andrew was a Watcher Liaison International division.

“Ta mate,” Spike tucked the card away to show to Angel later.

At the Wolfram & Hart apartment after they had dealt with hurricane Ilona at the company office Spike showed Angel the card.

“Rogue demon hunter,” Angel said with a laugh.

“What?” Spike said.

“When Wes first came to L.A he styled himself a rogue demon hunter. It was quite funny. Andrew reminds me of him a little.”

“Well hopefully he will get as much balls as Wes has now given time,” Spike said, “and nobody murders him before that happens.”

They were lying together on the very large bed in the apartment that overlooked Rome. Somehow Angel had ended up reclining with his head in Spike’s lap just enjoying the feeling of Spike’s hands combing through his hair.

The encounters with Andrew and Ilona had taken the edge of their arousal and both were content to lounge around naked with a mug of blood each.

“So what do we do first?” Spike asked.

“Call Maud and Gladys I suppose and find out what they are doing,” Angel said with a sigh.

“You kept their cell phone numbers then?”

“Turns out Maud programmed them into my cell,” Angel said, “just in case. Along with Reggie’s and her niece.”

“The zombie?” Spike shuddered with sympathy.

Taking a deep breath Angel grabbed his cell phone and selected Maud’s number. His eyes widened as the phone rang through, “it’s playing music at me,” he thrust the phone at Spike.

Spike grinned as he listened to Robbie William’s singing Angels as the phone rang. It stopped in mid chorus and Spike thrust the phone back into Angel’s hands.

“Maud, it’s Angel,” Angel said fumbling with the phone, “I’m good… yes Spike’s fine… yes he’s here, say hi Spike,” Angel thrust the phone back at Spike.

“Hi Maud,” Spike said and then there was a series of more and more desperate greetings as Spike said hello to the entire tour group, “Maud… Maud,” Spike tried to get her attention, “yes we got the postcards. I’m handing you back to Angel now.” Spike practically threw the phone back to Angel.

“Maud… Gladys hi,” the conversation began again. “We’re here in Rome,” Angel finally managed to get out. A few bemused minutes later Angel hung up the phone and got off the bed.

“Angel?” Spike asked with concern.

“We’re meeting them all at a little bistro,” Angel said tonelessly, “and then they are taking us on a tour of the city.”

“Bloody hell Angel, why did you agree to that?” Spike demanded and then stopped himself. “Who am I kidding we should have known it would happen.” He jumped up and put his arms around Angel. They held each other tight trying to gain enough strength to leave the room.

“The jet could be refuelled in an hour,” Angel whispered, “This isn’t our problem not really. We should let the Council handle it.”

“We’re here now,” Spike said, “we can handle this.”

“Can we?” Angel asked plaintively.

“I hope so I really hope so.”

* * * * *

As soon as they entered the bistro they knew they would be challenged beyond anything they had faced before.

Confronting them was half a dozen newly souled vampires and a handful of various other beings. All were sporting colourful tee shirts proclaiming Soul rights. To the uninformed eye it might have looked like a church group on tour but Spike and Angel recognised the hand of Maud and Gladys.

“Ooee!” one of the culprits waved merrily to them.

As they weaved their way to the large table Angel noticed two young girls sporting the tee shirts that were giving off the slayer tingle. Spike spotted them as well and the two exchanged quick glances. Here were the missing slayers looking happy and relaxed if a little overwhelmed.

Before they could prepare themselves Maud and Gladys reached them. “Ciao, ciao,” the two grandmotherly vampires grabbed the boys and kissed them enthusiastically on each cheek.

They were sat down and glasses of red wine pressed into their hands before they could say anything.

“Now you know most everyone at the table,” Maud said as Spike downed the wine quickly, “but these here are Tammy and Donna our sweet young slayers. Girls these are our saviours the original souled vampire champions Angel and Spike.”

Tammy and Donna looked at each other and giggled at the introduction.

“Girls the Council is very worried about you,” Angel said sternly.

Tammy giggled and rolled her eyes, “that’d be a first,” she said.

“Yeah,” Donna added, “like they were worried enough to take us away from our families because of some destiny we never wanted.”

“They weren’t worried when the trained us to kill without question, without consideration for the souls we were taking. All sentient life has a right to exist,” Tammy said.

Gladys was beaming with pride at Tammy’s words, “we put Tammy’s words on our petition, isn’t she a clever girl?” Tammy blushed at Gladys’ praise and smiled. “Imagine taking such young girls away from their parents and families.”

“It’s shameful,” Maud added pinning ‘soul rights’ buttons on Spike and Angel.

“I am so sorry I tried to stake you,” Tammy said to Maud.

“I know you are dear,” Maud patted Tammy on the shoulder, “you weren’t to know.”

“Now what brings our two handsome champions to Rome?” Gladys turned her attention back to Angel and Spike.

Angel shifted in his seat, “we had a phone call from the Council of Watchers about what was happening and thought we should come over,” he said.

Gladys beamed, “how sweet of you to come and add your support to our cause. The two of you are inspirations in our quest for equality.”

Under the table Angel’s hand is gripping Spike’s so tightly that if he had any circulation it would be gone by now.

“Reggie has set up a website for us and we have already had two thousand hits,” Maud said proudly.

“Quite a few from other demon groups that have fallen afoul of the Council through its agenda to forward the rights of humans over all others,” Reggie explained, “we’ve started an online petition to match the one we handed into the Rome branch of the Council.”

“We met a charming young girl there,” Gladys added, “she was particularly thrilled to hear about your involvement in our cause.”

“She was?” Spike looked at Angel with concern, “what was her name?”

“Dawn,” a voice behind them answered. Spike stood and spun around in time to catch a brunette bundle in his arms.

Dawn finally pulled free of Spike and punched him on the arm, “why didn’t you call?” she said.

“Way we left things Bit, didn’t think you wanted to see me,” Spike said.

“I’m sorry Spike, I was scared and angry and stupid. I should have listened to you,” Dawn said sadly.

“You were protecting your sister, nothing to be sorry about,” Spike said.

Dawn turned to Angel and punched him on the arm, “you could have told us you know.”

“It was complicated Dawn,” Angel said, secretly pleased to be treated the same way as Spike.

Dawn rolled her eyes, “it’s always complicated. We thought you were dust,” she said to Spike.

“I was Bit. Then I was a ghost and then I wasn’t. Then other stuff happened.” Dawn noted the glance Spike threw to Angel as he spoke and she exchanged a glance of her own with Gladys.

“Right,” Gladys said rubbing her hands together, “now that we are all here we can start planning our next move.”

“And that would be…” Angel said.

“Why taking it to the Council in person, coordinated cross Europe protests outside their offices,” Gladys said with glee.

All Angel and Spike could do was hold on tight to each other’s hands and listen as the plan was outlined to them.

 

end part 1