Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
4,902
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
929

Travelling Men

Summary:

Summary:Mulder and Krycek are taken prisoner by the colonists.
*Originally posted to the One Song Wheel as Travelling*

Work Text:

 

Travelling Men
by Lady Midath
~*~*~*~

Krycek moaned softly as he blinked his eyes open. He had no idea how long he had been out for but it felt like it must have been days.

"Hi, I wondered how long it was going to take you to come to."

Startled, Krycek turned his head in the direction where the voice was coming from. A familiar face was smiling at him through the darkness of the room.

"Mulder, is that you?" Krycek made to move off the hard metal cot that he had been lying on, wincing as a sharp pain shot through his head. Mulder smiled at him, his hazel eyes crinkling at the corner giving him an impish look.

"It sure is." He replied. Krycek sighed, well things were looking grim indeed if they managed to capture Mulder as well.

"How long have you been here for?" He asked, Mulder shrugged, then lifted his head to look at the metal walls of their cell.

"I'm not sure, about three days...or at least I think so anyway."

"Shit." Krycek muttered. Then louder. "I thought you might have gotten away."

"No such luck." Then Mulder smiled again. "Nice to know that I have some company at least. When did they grab you?"

"Mmmm, not sure. Yesterday, I think." Krycek said as he lifted his hand to rub the back of his neck. At least the pain had died down to a dull throb now. He wondered briefly if he might have had a concussion. Not that it mattered, there would be little in the way of medical help here.

Mulder nodded, his face thoughtful. He watched as Krycek lifted himself off the metal cot and proceeded to walk around the perimeter of the cell. It was not large, barely six feet across and except for the cot and a large bowl shaped contraption that passed for a toilet, empty.

"How long do you think they'll keep us in here for?" he asked as he reached out to touch a smooth metal wall. The other arm hanging stiffly down at his side.

"I have no idea." Mulder answered him. "I haven't seen one of the aliens since I've been here."

Krycek turned his head sharply to look at him.

"A slot in that door over there opens enough for them to give us food and water and that's it." Mulder elaborated. "But no one has ever come in here...well not yet anyway."

"So they have never questioned you?" Krycek asked cautiously. "Interrogated you at all?"

"Not so far, no."

Krycek brow knitted into a frown. "Strange, I would have thought that they'd be after any information we might have had about the resistance..."

"I don't know Krycek." Mulder replied, his voice soft in the dimly lit cell. "Except for the food, it's almost like they have forgotten us."

"Unless..." Krycek started, then stopped. Mulder leaned forward slightly.

"Unless what?" He asked.

"Unless they have won." Krycek replied, turning around to face the other man seated on the floor. "Maybe they don't see the need to interrogate us if they have already broken the resistance and taken over the planet completely."

He watched as Mulder's face went pale. "Walter." He whispered. "And Dana...John, Monica. Jesus Krycek, do you think they might have?"

"I don't know." Krycek admitted. Actually it was a thought that he did not want to contemplate The only thing that had kept him going though the dark days of the invasion was the fact that he had been able to fight them. He had known they were coming, had known for some time in fact. He had agreed to work for the Syndicate and later on become Spender's personal assistant simply to be able to place himself into a strong position when the time came. Well it had come and Krycek had found himself on the run, fighting with all the desperation and courage of a man possessed. His forays deep into alien held territory had become famous, the damage he managed to inflict, legendary.

It had been a long hard struggle but every victory, no matter how small had been worth it. Until his capture anyway.

"So what the fuck do we do now?" He muttered as he moved to sit next to Mulder.

"Not much we can do." Mulder replied. "Except sit and wait."

"I wonder if the other's know that we've been captured." Mulder mused. Krycek shrugged. "Who knows, Jesus...I wonder how bad things are out there now."

"Worse now you're in here."

"Huh?" Krycek looked at him, clearly puzzled. Mulder chuckled, but there was not a great deal of humour in the sound.

" What I mean, it was you that was doing so much damage to those bastards." Mulder continued. "And now you're trapped in here..."

"It was my fault that I was captured." Krycek replied softly. "I got too cocky, careless I suppose. I broke into one of the colonist facilities. I heard that they were holding humans in there and that they were performing all these hideous experiments on them. I managed to get past the security and inside. My sources had been right. God Mulder you should have seen it. It was... well horrible doesn't seem strong enough a word to describe it. There were children in there. Little kids all strapped up to...oh shit, it was beyond sickening. In fact it was beyond anything that I have ever seen and I've seen plenty believe me."

Krycek stopped for a moment, his face reflecting the the horror of what he had seen.

"Go on." Mulder urged after a few minutes. Krycek lifted his head to gaze at him with red rimmed eyes.

"I remember walking over to the nearest bed, well they were more like operating tables. In fact, that's probably what they were. There was this little girl Mulder, I don't think she had been more than five. She was strapped down to the bed with all these tubes and shit and she was still awake Mulder. Those fucking bastards had let her stay conscious all through what they had been doing to her. I remember that I told her that I was going to get her out. Get everybody out and she smiled at me. She just...smiled."

Krycek stopped speaking for a moment, overcome with the memory of the child and of her innocence, her sweetly trusting smile.

"What happened next?" Mulder asked gently. Krycek sighed and shook his head.

"I fucked up." He replied flatly. "I bent down to see if I could release the girl when suddenly there was this pain in my lower back. They had shot me with something, then I woke up in here." He lifted his hand to wave it around the confines of the cell.

"I was careless, I should have checked the room properly to make sure that I hadn't been observed breaking in. I never even recced the room properly. I let my emotions get the better of me and I screwed everything up."

"It wasn't your fault." Mulder told him softly. "You have been doing the best you can with what little resources you have had available."

Krycek shook his head at that, his face set in stubborn lines.

"No Mulder, that doesn't wash, not with me. You forget that I have been doing this shit for years working for Spender and the Brit. I don't make mistakes like this. I don't fuck up. I can't afford to."

"You are a human being Krycek." Mulder replied. "And in case you forget, humans fuck up. Things go wrong and while you are sitting here beating yourself up, remember one thing. All the innocent lives you saved."

Krycek could not help but laugh out loud at that. Mulder stared at him, puzzled.

"What the hell's so funny?" he demanded.

"You." Krycek replied.

"What?" Mulder was completely lost now. Krycek laughed again, lifting his good hand to wipe tear of laughter from his eyes. Even despite having been captured and imprisoned in a shitty little cell, he could still find something to laugh about, and it felt damned good.

"A year ago if you had found me lying on the floor unconscious, you probably would have taken great pleasure in pissing on me, then putting a bullet in my head. There would have been no way on earth that you would have been sitting next to me, drying my tears and telling me how heroic I've been."

"My, how things chance." Mulder agreed drily. "But back then I had good reason to hate you. After all the shitty tricks you've pulled. My father, Scully's sister...the nanocytes that you used to blackmail Walter."

"So what changed?" Krycek asked with honest curiosity.

"You." Mulder told him simply. "You changed Krycek."

"But the things that I did...they didn't change."

Mulder regarded the other man for a moment, taking in the dark hair, once cut brutally short, now grown long and the angular unshaven face. The eyes were exactly as he remembered them, emerald green rimmed with dark lashes. The wry smile was still the same as well, though Krycek had long ago lost the sweet, inexperienced eager young agent persona. In one way, Mulder did miss that, even though he had known that it had all been put on for his benefit.

"When I first discovered those cigarette butts in the ashtray of your car, I put two and two together and I thought I had come up with the right answer." Mulder began slowly. "Later on, when I found out about the conspiracy and plans for colonization, I naturally thought that you would be up there with the rest of them, helping to enslave humanity and reaping all the benefits. Everything that you had done Krycek, everything murder, every betrayal led me to believe that the only interest you had at heart was your own. Then I find out that my father had decided to weaken and help the Smoking Man and the rest of them. And as for Dana's sister..."

"I never shot her Mulder." Krycek said, his voice hoarse. "I was there, sure, I'll admit that, but I never shot her."

"I know it was Luis Cardinal." Mulder said.

"I went to Scully's apartment to try and stop him, but I wasn't quick enough." Krycek replied. "The stupid son of a bitch shot first and didn't even bother to ask questions later."

"That's what I figured much later." Mulder replied. "I was never completely sure until the invasion, and then stories started filtering out about an ex Consortium operative who had been making forays into Consortium and alien strongholds and destroying them. The same operative that helped free hundreds of prisoners and helping establish camps for refugees."

Krycek blushed bit said nothing, aware of Mulder's eyes on him.

"At first I thought that it had to be someone else." Mulder continued. "Hell, Alex Krycek, triple agent, murder and all round son of a bitch actually doing something good? Something worthwhile? Not a fucking snowball's chance in hell. But then I started doing some digging, with the Lone Gunmen's help of course, and lo and behold...what did I find?"

"What did you find?" Krycek asked softly.

"I found a man that was completely dedicated to helping to save mankind. That's what."

"And were you shocked?"

"I should have been." Mulder replied. "I know I should have been, but for some reason I wasn't. Does that sound strange to you?"

"It should, but it doesn't." Krycek answered with a smile. "And what about you Mulder, how did you find yourself in here?"

"I was traveling." Mulder replied. Krycek looked at him with frank surprise.

"Traveling? Where were you headed?"

"I had heard some rumours that there was a major facility that was housing much of the Consortium information It was just outside New Mexico. I thought that I'd drive out there and take a look myself. I would have flown but the aliens have grounded all flights. All travel has been restricted to only those that have express permission from the assholes running the show now."

"Yeah I know, it made moving around hell." Krycek replied. "So how did you get permission Mulder?"

"I didn't and that's why I'm here."

Krycek frowned. "I'm surprised that you didn't wind up in one of there correctional facilities for troublemakers."

"Yeah, well I guess being Spender's son has some advantages after all."

"Not really by the look of it." Krycek replied. "After all, you still ended up in here...where ever here is."

"I think we are on one of the spaceships." Mulder said quietly. "At least it seems like it. Take a look at that metal. Have you seen anything like it before?"

Leaning forward, Krycek reached over to place his hand against the cold hard surface. "Yeah, on the ship that was inside the silo Spender locked me in."

"Then I'm right." Mulder replied wearily. "Fuck, I wonder if we are already headed for their home planet...or whatever."

"I have no idea." Krycek sighed as he settled back down next to Mulder once more. "I wonder what they have planned for us?"

"Better not to think about it." Mulder said. Krycek grunted in agreement. Mulder was right, there were some things he could not bear to think about.

That sat side by side in silence for awhile, the only sound in the cell was their breathing. Then more to break the tomb like silence than anything else, Krycek spoke.

"What do you think happened to everyone else?"

Mulder glanced at him. "I take it you mean Walter and Dana and the rest?"

"Yeah."

"I have no idea."

"I hope they're okay." Krycek said, his voice soft now. "I'd hate to think of anything happening to them."

Mulder did not answer, his thoughts turning to his friends. The people that he had worked with, the people that he trusted...that he now considered family. Walter with all his calm and quiet strength who had stopped at nothing to support and protect him. Dana Scully, his partner and for so long, the only other person that he had ever fully trusted. And of course John Doggett. A man that he had gradually come to realize as being honest and dedicated in his work. A man that would stop at nothing to see justice done and uncover the truth. A man that Mulder had truly come to respect. Monica Reyes had been a believer from the start, but it was the very strength of those beliefs that had made her a valuable ally. And as for the Lone Gunmen....Mulder swallowed hard. They had been his true friends throughout everything that had ever happened to him. And the thought of them being harmed in anyway by these gray bastards and their human lapdogs... just the thought of it was enough to make him feel sick.

Suddenly the door slid back, startling both men and a sickeningly familiar figure stepped through the door into the cell.

"Well look who it is." Krycek said tauntingly. "Come here to gloat Spender?"

The Smoking Man regarded them both with an air of a man that had gone to great lengths to capture a rare and exotic animal and had now come to admire it.

Lifting his hand up, he removed the lit cigarette from the corner of his mouth, then tossing it on the floor, crushed it under the sole of his shoe.

"Greetings gentlemen." He said, a note of satisfaction in his soft voice. "I'm glad to see that you are both well."

"Cut the crap Spender and tell us what you want." Mulder snapped, taking a step forward.

"Temper temper Mr Mulder" Spender replied calmly. "After all you don't want to upset my friends. They are just out here standing in the corridor you know. I think they would take exception to any violence directed towards me."

"Fuck you, you prick." Mulder said coldly.

"Why are we here?" Krycek asked quickly, cutting into Mulder's tirade before he could start. The last thing he wanted now was to die at the hands of the grays.

"Well you are here Alex because you have been quite the little crusader, saving humanity, or at least trying. Not to mention all the perfectly good facilities that your little rampages have cost us. It was time to put a leash on you and drag you back to heel, so to speak. And as for you Mulder, well you are my son and my heir after all and it's about time that you started taking up your duties as such."

"You have to be kidding me." Mulder breathed, fury rising at the older man's words. "There is no way that I am going to take up your mantle you black lunged old fuck!"

"I'm afraid there is no choice." Spender replied. Reaching into the pocket of his coat, he pulled out a pack of Morley's and taking one out, tucked it into his mouth and lit it. A thin gray cloud eddied upwards towards the ceiling.

"That's where you are wrong, there's always a choice."

"Back in the old world there might have been...once, but the world is a different place since both you and Alex left it. Humanity had conditioned itself nicely to the yoke now. Our alien friends here are quite happy to allow a select few run things. All the colonists want are raw materials and the labour to create what they want...and in return..."

"You made slaves out of us all." Mulder spat out.

"So?" Spender cocked an eyebrow at them both. "Fox, haven't you realized that humans have always been slaves. Slaves to the media, slaves to wealth...or creating it. I can guarantee that not one man woman or child had had an original thought in their whole pathetic lives. Their opinions ave been formed by media barons and Jerry Springer. Mankind has always served, it's just that now their masters have changed."

"Bastard." Mulder made to lunge forward again, only to find a restraining hand on his arm. Krycek was holding him back, his eyes fixed on Spender.

"What are you planning on doing with us now old man?" He asked bluntly. Spender smiled at him, but his eyes remained cold.

"Oh don't worry Alex, I have plans for you as well. Mulder here shall be placed into training to take over from me when I can no longer run things, and you...well let's just say that you have your uses shall we."

Krycek's mouth tightened at that but he said nothing. He realized that right now they were both helpless. No weapons, no visible means of escape. They would have to both bide their time. And that was something that he; Alex Krycek was very good at doing.

"I promise you both that if you cooperate, you will be well rewarded, any opposition and you will see how very bad things can get for you here." Spender told them both, eyeing them with that cold detachment that at times, made him seem barely human himself.

Neither Mulder or Krycek spoke, they watched with helpless fury as the older man turned and left the cell, the door sliding closed behind him. Leaving them both alone once more.

Finally it was Mulder that broke the silence between them.

"What the fuck are we going to do now Alex?"

The other man smiled at the use of his first name, then replied as he took Mulder's hand in his own.

"I have no idea."

~*~*~*~

The days and weeks that followed were sheer and utter hell. Spender showed absolutely no qualms in pulling out all stops to break Mulder completely. Having deemed Krycek less important to his plans, he handed him over to the colonists for study and experimentation.

Both Mulder and Krycek endured the best they could, finding themselves relying more and more on each other for comfort and at times, sanity. The damage inflicted on them was physically transitory, but the emotional damage was slowly but surely taking it's toll. And the only source of comfort for them was each other.

Spender had noticed this as well. He spent hours secretly observing the two younger men through the monitors installed in their cell. Every words, every movement was carefully observed and recorded by both Spender and the aliens he was working for.

At one stage, he had briefly considered separating them, then rejected the idea. Right now it suited his purposes to keep them together, their growing need for each other was something that he could exploit later on.

The grays, having no real idea of human thoughts and emotions did not think too much on Mulder and Krycek's affection for each other, dismissing it as a social animals natural need for contact with it's own species and left it at that.

The resistance back on Earth was growing stronger with each passing week, inciting rebellions in the gray held territories. This was drawing their attention back to the planet more and more as the alien troops planetside were having to put down more riots. The fighting was continual now, the human's realizing that their very lives were at stake.

Of course neither Mulder nor Krycek were aware of this, they were totally cut off from everyone and everything, just as Spender had planned.

It had been a particularly long and grueling day for Mulder. The various training sessions...or torture sessions as Mulder dubbed them, had been vigorous. Mulder had finally been dragged back to his cell and dumped facedown on the floor.

Krycek was sitting with his back against the wall, waiting until the guards had left.

"Fox?" He whispered, as the cell door slid shut. "Fox...are you okay?"

Stupid fucking question Krycek, he inwardly berated himself, it only took one look to see that Mulder was anything but okay. In fact, he was a complete mess.

"Fox...please say something? Please...I just need to know..."

"That I'm still alive." Mulder said managing a wry grin. Slowly he heaved himself up into a sitting position, Krycek could see the cuts and bruises on his face. On eye puffy and swollen. A deep cut halved his lower lip.

"What the fuck did they do to you?" Krycek asked, reaching out to brush the fingertips of his good hand against Mulder's discolored cheek.

"Oh you know, the usual." Mulder attempted a nonchalant shrug, spoiling it with a grimace of pain instead.

Krycek sighed and shook his head, he hated feeling this helpless.

"We have to do something Fox." He said. "We have to get out of here."

Lifting his hand to his face, Mulder chuckled. "Gee Alex, you think?"

"Shit, you know what I mean." Krycek replied, Mulder could hear the frustration his voice. "If we stay here much longer we going to die."

"Or worse." Mulder whispered. "We won't."

A look of horror crossed Krycek's face as the words fully sunk in. And why not, after all didn't the aliens have the power over life and death? Too weary and heartsick to think of anything else to say, Krycek simply crawled into Mulder's arms, resting his head against the other man's shoulder and taking comfort in the warmth of his body.

It wasn't until the next day when Mulder had recovered a little that they actually made love. Slow and uncertain at first, they both took turns at undressing the other, interspersing it with kisses that were gentle at first, then more passionate as their lust for each other grew.

Reaching down, Mulder found Krycek's cock and began stroking it. With a sharp hiss escaping form his lips, Krycek arched himself into Mulder's hand. Mulder's own arousal evident, his swollen cock standing out for the nest of dark pubic hair below his flat stomach.

Using the precum leaking from the tip of Krycek's cock, Mulder greased the tiny astrix of asshole between Krycek round buttcheeks, then sank his cock deep inside the until now, virgin ring of muscle.

Krycek gasped at the sudden intrusion, then thrust himself back against Mulder, riding his cock. Mulder reached around, gripping Krycek's own dick, pumping it hard. With a hoarse cry, Krycek came, just as Mulder's own cock spurted inside the other man. Sated now, they collapsed onto the cold hard metal floor, the sweat and cum already drying on their skin.

"Love you Alex." Krycek heard Mulder murmur as he drifted off to sleep. Krycek smiled and leaned over to kiss his cheek, careful to avoid the still livid bruises.

"Love you too Fox." He whispered then settled down to sleep as well.

The next day they were both woken up by a tall dark haired man that neither had ever seen before.

He stared down at their naked bodies expressionlessly as they both scrambled to their feet.

"Who the fuck are you?" Krycek snarled, taking a defensive stand despite the lack of clothes. The man allowed himself a small smile, his dark eyes taking in the entire scene with an almost unnerving calm.

"We asked who you were." Mulder said, fractionally calmer then Krycek. Bending down, he grabbed his clothes up off the floor and began pulling them on. After a moment, Krycek decided to do the same thing.

"My name is not important, but what I have to say to you is." The man spoke suddenly. "I am with the rebel faction that have been fighting the colonists. We have managed to take control of their ship and we have been releasing those of your species that have been held here against their will.

"You mean there were others aboard the ship beside ourselves?" Mulder sounded shocked. Neither he or Krycek had seen or heard any other people except for Spender and the few humans that worked for him.

"Yes, they have already been released and taken back to Earth. You are both among the last."

"But how...why...?" Mulder stammered helplessly.

"Let's say they had some help."

The shapechanger stepped aside to allow yet another entry into the cell. Both Mulder and Krycek gaped at the sight of the familiar and very welcome sight of Walter Skinner.

With a joyous cry, both men leapt into his open arms, nearly knocking him off his feet. With a laugh of pure joy, Walter embraced them both, sweeping them into a crushing bearhug that threatened to break ribs.

"Come on guys." He told them both. "It's time to take you home."

~*~*~*~

"So the grays have been driven off the planet?" Mulder asked. He was sitting up on the couch, a blanket covering his legs. The doctors had the hospital had been loathed to let him go, but Mulder had insisted on signing himself out.

"Well with help from the rebels." Skinner replied. "They hate the grays more than we do and they were more than happy to help smash the bastards along with Spender and his bunch. They have agreed to stay along for awhile to help us rebuild and protect us from any more invasions, but I think that it's pretty much over."

"Thank god." Mulder added with a smile. "I noticed that the rebel who found us did not have his face sealed like the others did."

"No need to anymore I suppose." Skinner said. "The threat is all over, well almost. There are still the loose ends to mop up if you'll allow me to mix my metaphors."

"So both the shapechangers and the rebels were the same faction?" Mulder asked. He was still a little hazy on the details and needed to sort it all out.

"They decided to all band together once the Earth was taken over. The grays were gaining too much power and the others were forced to take action. Which is something I profoundly thank god for. After all, we could not have managed it on our own."

Mulder nodded, his face thoughtful. "How did you know that Alex and I were being held on the ship?"

"We didn't." Skinner answered truthfully. "We had no idea. In fact after you had disappeared, we had assumed that you were killed. Thank god the ship never left the immediate orbit it was on or we may never have found you. As it is, there are thousands of people still missing, probably taken back to the gray's planet or something."

The thought of all those innocent people missing was enough to somber the mood they were both in.

Just then, the front door opened and Krycek entered the livingroom, bags of groceries in hand.

"Hi guys." He greeted them as he carried them through to the small kitchen. Skinner smiled, then rose to leave, knowing that Mulder and Krycek would want to have some time alone now.

After saying goodbye, he left, promising to return the next day. There was a lot more that had happened during their imprisonment and Skinner had been catching them both up on all the events.

After he left, Krycek came to sit next to Mulder, marveling yet again that the man that had once been his enemy, was now his lover...and his beloved. How things have changed indeed. With a sigh of pure contentment, Mulder leaned his head against Krycek, while the other man carded his hand through the mass of dark hair.

"What are you thinking Fox?" He asked gently. Mulder lifted his head a little to answer.

"Just how lucky we are, how good it is to be home. You know, the usual."

"Travelers home from the hills and the deep blue sea." Krycek misquoted with a smile. "And we have traveled a long way indeed."

"And even managed to survive." Mulder replied. "Because we had each other."

"And live happily ever after." Krycek added. "Just like we can begin to now."

 

THE END