Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
687
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,043

Preferably Dark

Summary:

Summary: Jack visits a friend to say goodbye.

Work Text:

Preferably Dark
by Amazon X
yankeestarbuck@yahoo.com
http://yankeestarbuck.com

 

Jack climbed the rocky face of the hillside, picking his way slowly.  He knew he didn't have long before the sun would rise, and she would be seen if she wasn't hidden well in the daylight.  Yet, he knew he must check on her, just to make sure before he left.  She had saved his life, taken care of him, kept him sane so many times before.

"Hello, my love," Jack said, far enough away not to scare her, but close enough that she could see him.  "I see he's come out of his shell, hasn't he?"

The littlest member of the tiny family ambled forward and squawked.  Jack stepped gently forward and sat on the edge of the nest.  Myfanwy didn’t move.  The hatchling squawked more and did a little turn around in the space.

“He’s handsome.  He doesn’t look very old.  I’m so happy for you, darling.”  Jack reached out, his bare left arm, showing Myfanwy there was no control signal to control her.  He was just visiting.  Another movement that looked like a nod. Jack’s hand gently stroked the baby’s soft head.  He wasn’t covered with the same warm skin his mother had, but a very soft covering of fluff, like a kitten.  The hatchling was active, and jumped up out of the nest, spreading his wings.  He landed squarely in Jack’s lap, and Jack closed his arms around the baby pterodactyl.

Somehow, the hatchling settled.  Jack looked down fondly.  “Have you named him yet?” he asked, knowing she could never answer.  “I would like to, if that’s all right.  I think it would be nice if we could name him Ianto.  Would you mind that?  Good, I like that.  I miss him, terribly. He died because of me. I shouldn’t have taken him.  I always thought that was a bad idea. But...I let my...no, I’m not going to do this.  Nope, I’m gonna get myself where I’m needed again...where they won’t look at me...like I’m a monster.”

Myfanwy cawed softly, almost as if she was laughing.

“My daughter will never forgive me.  And I don’t blame her.  What I did was reprehensible. I can’t live with what I’ve done, Myfanwy.  And I can’t die.  How do I deal with this?”

The ancient being in front of him cawed loudly and looked up at the sky.  Jack gently put the hatchling down and checked his PDA.

“You’re right.  They should be close enough by tonight.  I’ll just go.  And...”

There was a louder squawk and Myfanwy looked up again, straight up.

“No, that’s not an option.  How can I face him?  How can I tell him what I did? What I allowed? And my own family …my grandson.  And I let him die, killed him myself, in a painful and horrible way. How do I tell him that?!  How do I look him in the eye and tell him what I’ve done?  He’s the man who never would.  Never could.  He would have found a way around it, saved Steven and all the other children.”

Jack stood and paced a short few steps from the nest.

“Where were you?  Why didn’t you come and save us?  I needed you!  You made me do this!”

Suddenly, Jack stopped and took a deep breath. That was a lie.  He knew in his heart that the Doctor didn’t make Jack do anything. Yes, the Doctor was clever and kind, gentle and giving, but he wasn’t there to clean up all of Jack’s messes.  Or the human race’s problems, either.  The Doctor was here to save us from ourselves.  And Jack should have known better, should have been better, should have been smarter.

And when he did meet the Doctor, he would be all better.  Jack smiled and turned to the nest one last time while reaching into the inner breast pocket of his coat.

“I didn’t forget.  And I remember, preferably dark.”

Jack tossed the large bar of chocolate forward and Myfanwy caught it in her beak.  She put in down next to her hatchling and nodded gently.

“At least I could help save one woman’s son.”

Jack climbed down the hill and walked into the night.

 

The End