Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,766
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
18
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,276

Christmas Wishes

Summary:

Santa and his helper make some wishes come true.

Work Text:

Christmas Wishes
by BJ

 

Santa stood with a very quiet growl as the last child, a very WET child slid down from his lap. The very TALL and beautiful elves Jean and Ororo led the smiling child to a pile of presents so he could choose one and with the bells on their wrists and ankles jingling merrily they left to watch the children play.
 
Santa decided he needed a smoke. NOW. He wandered through the Den avoiding toys and children's fingers as he went.

It was the now annual Christmas party for the kids at the Homeless Shelter. Every year for the past four years Xavier's doors would open at noon to a bus full of noisy, excited children.

Santa glanced up the stairs to the private living quarters as he passed them and smiled sadly. The one responsible for all this noise and chaos wasn't even down here! To be honest though keeping him away had taken much pleading and finally threats of the med lab. This was Remy's pet. Ever since the first Christmas he was at the Mansion on the Saturday before a group of kids from the shelter would come for the day. The first year it was just one little girl that Remy had taken a specific interest in. The next year it was ten children who had lost their parents to drugs or violence.

" Dey got no where else t' go!" Remy had pleaded as the rest of the X-Men had scrambled to accommodate them. The memories of his own lost childhood were so evident on his face. The pain of watching happy families shopping and singing and laughing. The sweet smells of cookies baking and turkeys roasting and knowing he would be eating out of a dumpster IF he was lucky. Watching the beautiful lights alone from the cold, dark corner of an alley. The rest of the team quickly realized that this little project was as therapeutic for their resident thief as it was for the children he brought home.

This year it was planned out months in advance. They hit the stores right after Halloween buying toys and candy so the children could forget about everything else going on in their lives and just be children for the day. A lot of the kids were running from abusive homes, others were there with teenaged moms or because daddy lost his job.

Remy picked who got to play Santa each year and he took the job very seriously. Bobby begged to play Santa this year but that most important job was given to Logan. He never stood a chance really and the young Cajun didn't even have to ask him. They had gone into town for lunch and as they left a small boy asked them for change. It wasn't anything Remy said, it was the look on his face after Logan handed the boy a twenty and they watched him run back to two younger children. Logan had looked up at his young lovers face and for the first time REALLY UNDERSTOOD what he'd had to endure as a child. He volunteered that night after they made love.

Santa stepped outside and patted his pillows for the cigar he stuffed in just before he left the bedroom. He sat down on a step, pulled down his beard, lit it and stuck it in his mouth.

" You shouldn't smoke Santa." a small voice stated from the swing on the corner of the deck.

" What are you doin' out here? Why aren't ya in there playin' with the toys? I gotta call the reindeer and get home, got lots of work t' do ya know." Santa puffed.

The young boy, he looked maybe ten, sat on the step beside him. " I stopped believin' in Santa years ago but mom says I gotta pretend 'cause my brother's only four and he's just STARTIN' to believe. She says that he needs somethin' to believe in."

Logan looked at the serious little boy and nodded, " she's right."

" I guess. I'm Kevin Jackson who are you?"

" Names Logan" he shook the small hand before him. " Nice t' meet ya. Which one's yer brother?" he asked as he turned and looked in the storm door at the dozens of children in the house.

" That's him sitting on mom's lap. His name's Ethan."

Logan followed the small finger to a woman sitting alone in a chair away from the rest of the mom's. She wasn't very old, probably in her late thirties but her face showed that she felt at least twice that. The squirming little boy with her was in her lap one second and out the next. He was firing questions at her a mile a minute.

" Why is Santa so fat?"

" Because he eats all those cookies children leave out for him."

" How do the reindeer fly?"

" He feeds them magic corn."

" Can Santa bring daddy home?"

The woman looked stunned for a moment and Logan clearly saw the pain cross her face before she answered the child, "N-no sweetie, Santa can't bring daddy home." He watched as she blinked back tears she obviously felt.

" Could I fly if I ate the magic corn?"

" No, it only works on reindeer."

Logan turned to Kevin, " What happened to yer dad kid?" he asked as gently as he could.

" He died of cancer. Mom couldn't make enough money so..."he shrugged and his little voice trailed off. " I better go now, goodbye Mr. Logan."

"Bye kid" he said as he watched the boy go. " Hey Kevin, tell yer brother that Santa's watchin' and to be good and listen to his mom."

Kevin smiled and walked into the house and took his brothers hand. He told him something then pointed out the door. The smaller boy's eyes went wide as he looked out at Santa. His mom looked over at Logan and with a hint of a smile she mouthed the words " thank you". Logan gave her a nod before he stood to go to his room to change.

From halfway down the hall Logan saw Remy leaving their room. " Where do you think you're going?" he asked gently as he wrapped an arm around the shivering form of his lover and returned him to the bedroom.

"Jus' wan' t' see how t'ings 'r goin'" Remy croaked.

" Darlin', Hank said complete bed rest or this would turn into pneumonia. No."

"But-"

Logan kissed his lover and pushed him gently back into a pile of pillows. " No. Yer too important t' me. I need ya better by Christmas. I got you something special..." he sang teasingly to his lover as he felt his forehead. He frowned a bit; the fever was still too high. He poured a glass of water and handed Remy two small pills. " Take yer meds."

Remy rolled his eyes but swallowed the pills. He was highly susceptible to colds and flu's since his return from the cold and this one had hit him particularly hard. His chest ached no matter what position he tried to rest in and the fever refused to break. This was HIS party though! He wanted to make sure the kids were happy, that's all that mattered today.

Logan turned him slowly to his side and started rubbing his back with firm strokes. " I found the family we're gonna help this year." he said softly in his lovers ear as he gently bit the lobe.

Remy's shiver had nothing to do with the fever this time as he closed his eyes and moaned softly. " Hold dat t'ought 'til I feel 'uman 'gain, oui?"

Logan gave him a hug and a kiss and continued the back rub. " Wanna know about 'em?"

" Oui." He felt so much better when Logan was with him but he couldn't make the man sit beside his bed every time he was sick. None of the other X-Men knew about this part of the party. Every year Remy, and now Remy and Logan would pick one family to help. As much as he wanted to save them all Remy knew he couldn't so he picked one family that just needed a little EXTRA help to get them back on their feet and out of the shelter.

" The Jackson's, don't know the mom's name but she's got two boys, Kevin and Ethan."

" Her name's Laura an' she's got a daughter too. Rachel, pretty thing and real smart. She watches her brot'ers while de mom works but she never went t' college so she can' get a decent job."

Logan smiled and kissed the top of his young lover's head. Leave it to Remy to know everything about everyone at the shelter. " Okay Mr. Know it all, how do we help 'em?"

Remy opened his mouth to speak and a coughing fit attacked him. He was holding his ribs and tears were streaming from his eyes when he could finally breath again. " 'M okay Cher."

Logan scooted up to the headboard and pulled Remy to his chest. " I'm callin' Hank."

" Non! Y' a'ready abandoned de party, he's gotta stay down dere! "M fine, really. We gotta fin' Laura a better job an' a better place t' stay.De shelter's safe an' all but she needs a REAL home f' dose
kids."He started coughing again.

Logan pulled him close and held him tight until he got the coughs under control.When the attack ended he kissed the top of his lovers head again. He hated to see the kid so sick and he knew how disappointed he was that he was missing the party he worked so hard to plan. " I know some people...the jobs no problem. What 'r we gonna do about the place t' live?"

Remy closed his eyes and thought a moment, "she ain' gonna take charity... I'm gonna MAKE an inheritance appear." He looked back toward his lover " I got de place, I kinda own an apartment buildin' by de school."

Logan laughed and hugged the boy again. " Are you EVER gonna stop amazing me?" he asked.

" Hope not Cher, y' might get tired of me."

He was smiling but Logan couldn't miss the insecurity in those gorgeous eyes. " Hell's gonna freeze over LONG before that could ever happen darlin'." He would never get tired saying that to the kid but no matter how many times he said it; no matter how many times he told him that in all his long years there hadn't been anything that even CLOSELY compared, Remy still seemed sure that eventually Logan would leave him too.



ONE WEEK LATER

"MERRY CHRISTMAS MOMMY! Santa came! Mommy GET UP!" Three bundles of energy were bouncing up and down on her bed and Laura smiled as cold dry toast was shoved in her face. It was a tradition from better times, No Presents Until Mommy Has Breakfast! She felt a twinge of pain in her heart when she remembered the last Christmas she spent with her husband before he got sick. They forced down cold toast and something that was SUPPOSED to be coffee as all three kids dumped their Christmas stockings on the bed. Everyone was so happy then. She tried to do the best she could for her children, if she could just get a better paying job...

" Laura, there's a man on the phone for you." Robin Spencer said from the hallway outside her open door. " I think you need to take this call." She was pointing at the phone by the bed and smiling. She seemed really excited.

Laura picked up the phone "Hello?" Her eyes grew big and she swallowed hard. "Kids, quiet! Yes...I-I'm still here." She nodded as if the person on the other end of the line could see her. " I'll be there on Monday" she said quietly and hung up the phone. She looked at her friend in the doorway. " I got a job, I applied there months ago and they never called back." she sounded like she was in shock. " It pays TWICE what I'm making now."

" Did you get a present mommy?" Ethan asked.

She pulled her youngest son close to her chest, " Yeah sweetie, mommy got the best present! Why don't you guys go see what Santa brought you?" Not another word was needed as the children squealed and thundered down the stairs to the shelters Christmas tree. " Robin, how did this happen?" she asked the director of the shelter.

Robin was well aware of who the Santa probably was. She would call him later and thank him; she'd hoped that the Jackson's would be chosen this year. " You just have to believe in miracles." was all she said. " Come down, you have another gift under the tree."

******************

" T'anks Robin, I will. Joyeux Noel." Remy's smile was brilliant as he flopped back into the bed and was swept into a strong embrace.

" Well?" Logan asked as he kissed the perfectly positioned neck beside him.

" Everyt'ing's perfect. Oh Cher..." he moaned as the warm lips concentrated on the spot just under his ear. Logan decided at that moment that he never wanted the sweet sounds that his lover was making to ever end. When Logan was sure Remy was sufficiently aroused he stopped his leisurely attack. " You so mean t' me Cher!" Remy whined. He quickly rolled over on top of the older man and ran his fingers through the thick black hair.

Logan stared up into beautiful red eyes and brushed back silky auburn hair. " I thought ya might want yer present but if ya wanna wait..."

" Non! You been teasin' poor Remy f' a week now, what y' get me?" His smile was sweeter than anything Logan could ever remember seeing and as infectious as Hell!

" Okay, you've been good about stayin' in bed and takin' yer meds." He reached into the drawer of the nightstand and pulled out a small gift box. Remy's eyes went wide with shock. All of a sudden Logan was scared. What if he hated it? What if...He handed the gift to Remy and squirmed as he carefully opened the paper. The hand carved wooden box was an antique and Remy's trained eye admired the craftsmanship. Inside the box was a hand braided leather bracelet and a note:

Remy,
I could never find the words to convince you my love was real, I hope this will convince you. Once that bracelet goes on your wrist you belong to me forever.
I love ya kid.
Yours forever if you'll have me,
Logan

Remy's eyes shot from his lover's eyes to the bracelet. " Y' wan' dis? Y' wan' ME?"

Logan pulled him back down into a hug and kissed his soft hair, " Forever Rem. Thought a ring was too...girly. So? Should I tie it on? Do ya wanna be stuck with this old- "

Remy never let him finish the sentence. The kiss was exquisite, soft and tender and overflowing with love. Many hours later, after much love making and chuckling over the curses and banging on their door to come down to dinner, they finally made their announcement to the team.

***SPRING***

As Laura Jackson unpacked the last of her belongings and placed her wedding picture on the mantle in her new home two lovers kissed in front of a small gathering of friends and promised to love each other until the end of time.

End

**note** Guest starring my kids as the Jackson's!(told ya in the beginning they were mine!) Their dad is fine thank you, a workaholic, but fine. :)