Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
501
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
20
Hits:
1,204

Chances

Summary:

I don't know if you'd call this a vinegrette, or just a *very* short story, but it's my first true foray into K/S. Please be gentle.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:


Chances
by Kiristeen ke Alaya

Kirk stood staring out the small viewport, his expression a curious mixture of sadness and speculation. He was lost in his thoughts of missed chances and paths not taken. He didn't hear Spock come up behind him until he spoke.

"Captain," he said simply.

Kirk smiled slightly. "Hello Spock."

"It has been a...stressful mission, has it not?"

Kirk chuckled. "You could say that. We had several close calls down there."

Spock nodded, now looking at the view, trying to figure out just what his captain was staring at. "Indeed, either one of us could easily have been killed in a number of the incidents."

Kirk turned to look at Spock a moment before returning to the starry vista in front of them. "Do you ever think about the choices you've made?"

"Occasionally Captain. Are choices you've made, what have you standing here staring out into the depths of space?"

"Yes."

"Anything in particular?"

"Spock, have you made any choices because you were afraid of the outcome?"

"Could you be more specific. I have made many choices that steered me away from undesirable outcomes."

Kirk sighed. This was more difficult than he had anticipated. "Have you ever made a choice not to do something you wanted to do because you were afraid that if you did, it would...upset the balance." He turned to gaze at Spock's profile. "Have you ever not done something because you were afraid of how...others would react?" He watched Spock's reaction to the question carefully. The only change he saw was a minute muscle twitch in his cheek.

"Yes," he whispered almost too quietly for Kirk to hear. He turned to face his captain. "Have you?"

Kirk nodded infinitesimally. "Yes. Do you regret that path not taken?"

"Often."

"Me too. I do wonder if we're talking about the same thing though."

"We were both speaking of regrets, were we not?" Spock answered with a merest touch of humor.

"I meant I wondered if we had the same regret."

Spock stared at him silently a moment before taking a deep breath. If they weren't, he wasn't sure he wanted to continue this path of revelation. "I believe so."

"You know, life's a fragile thing. It could be stripped from us at anytime, with little or no warning."

"Indeed, life should not be wasted."

Jim Kirk reached out and touched Spock's arm. "So the question remains; is it too late to take the other path?"

"I do not know."

"Our entire lives have been spent taking chances. I think maybe it's time to take *this* chance."

Spock reached over and placed his hand on the one Kirk had still rested on his forearm. "I believe you are right, Captain."

"Jim, call me Jim."

The smallest of smiles curved the corners of Spock's lips as he stepped back from him. He turned and started out of the room. At the door he paused and looked over his shoulder. "Are you coming, Jim?"

 

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Kiristeen ke Alaya.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.