Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Solstice Stories
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,231
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,318

His Story

Summary:

Summary: Joxer tells a story

Work Text:

His Story
by Xandria

 

They all sat around the campfire, telling stories. Hercules had just finished speaking about how he and Iolaus had helped a group of villagers with a problem with a rogue centaur. Before that, Gabrielle had told everyone about the time Xena had had to disguise herself as a Hestian High Priestess. Iolaus had laughed at that until Xena gave him one of her looks.

"Well, I guess it's time for bed." Iolaus said cheerfully.

"I have a story to tell." Joxer said quietly. Iolaus moaned while Gabrielle sneered.

"You?! Another bunch of lies and boasts?"

"It is about this family. A powerful and rich one." He continued, ignoring her. Joxer fell silent and stared into the fire. The others waited, but he said nothing else, just brought his knees up and rested his head on them, brooding.

"So what happened?" Gabrielle finally said impatiently.

"A long time ago two people married. And then the husband was told of a prophecy that said his own children would kill him. So, when his wife gave birth he killed the child. And he did that for a while, until, with the last born son, his wife managed to give birth and then hide him, telling her husband he had already died and she had buried him."

"This sounds familiar somehow." Hercules murmured and Iolaus shushed him. Joxer smiled and continued.

"The son grew up, and killed his father. When he died, all the other children came back to life again. And then they started to fight over the inheritance, for there was a great amount of wealth and power. There were three sons, and they argued, and eventually fought. With two of them the argument was more bitter for they both wanted to wed the same kinswoman. One for love, one for power."

"And what did she think of that?" Gabriella demanded.

"She loved the one who loved her and despised the other. The kinswoman and the brother who loved her were going to wed, to commit themselves to each other. And the other one, the youngest son, kidnapped her and raped her until she carried his seed.

"In shame, she broke off her engagement, not telling the one she loved why, for it would have been war. In shame, she married the youngest son. This meant he had enough power to become the main inheritor of the family power. One brother he put in charge of the holdings the family had to do with the sea. And the other one, his main rival, he banished to a family holding far far away."

"How could he do that?! Use her like that?" Gabrielle exclaimed. Xena smiled and spoke for the first time that evening.

"In his eyes she was only a woman. A vessel to be used, no more. Go on, Joxer." The young warrior smiled at her, briefly, then stared into the fire.

"So the kinswoman found herself in a loveless marriage, bearing twins that were a result of rape.
And when she gave birth, she couldn't even look at them, so gave them out to be nursed. They were a son and a daughter, with ebony dark hair and eyes that sparkled like black diamonds. They were beautiful, and the kinswoman's large green eyes shed tears as she looked at them.

"She couldn't stand to see these lovely little children who were so happy, yet also represented such a horrible deed. But she reconciled herself with the thought that her son was the rightful heir, and both her children would be placed in an exalted position."

"That poor woman."

"But she was wrong. While she was still trying to get over her husband's vicious attack, and his subsequent rapings, he had an affair. And one day he brought two children, another set of twins, into his household.

"They were given the exalted positions his legitimate children were entitled to, while the rightful heirs were given positions that would forever make them despised, hated, and feared. And their mother wept tears she could never show to her husband and didn't know how to show to her children. Instead, she presented to his court an icy face that never showed what she felt."

"Court? This was a king then?"

"Yes. He was a King that betrayed his Queen constantly, having affairs with many  others. And most of them had children, who he brought to the Court as well and exalted above his two rightful, legitimate children."

"That's monstrous!" Hercules said angrily.

"It was a long time ago, Hercules." Joxer paused and smiled, hugely, all of a sudden.

"What's so funny?" Gabrielle said suspiciously. He looked at her and his smile dimmed, then left his face altogether. Ignoring her question, he continued with his story.

"The children grew up, all knowing they could do anything to his rightful heirs and not be punished. So they did. And those two bright, happy, children, so loving, became suspicious, untrusting, and entered into their duties to the fullest, their only form of vengeance. After all, they were only doing what they were supposed to, weren't they? And their mother cried, and mourned for her lost love. He had kept apart from them all, bitter, until he finally met someone else he could love, and married her, another kinswoman.

"The Queen's heart finally broke for good. And then she became pregnant. All this time she had made sure that no more children would come from her or her husband.  But one day he came upon her without warning, drunk, but still able to hurt her badly and still able to force his seed upon her."

"Where is he? I'll make him see justice!" Hercules exclaimed. Joxer smiled again.

"Like I said, it was a long time ago. And he didn't remember. So when she gave birth, he accused her of adultery. While he had been the one to do so for years and she had never strayed. Proud, she denied him. And he picked the baby up and tossed him away, in a rage. Their second son survived, but crippled for life. And she wept for another of her children hated by his father."

"You know, I'm sure I've heard this story somewhere before too."

"It' s a very old story, Iolaus. And there are a lot of versions. It depends on the teller."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm telling it from her viewpoint. From his, it would be a different story." Joxer shrugged. Xena frowned, then half smiled suddenly.

"Xena?" Gabrielle said.

"Nothing, Gabrielle, just a thought. Joxer, you are a man with many hidden depths and layers. It's always a delight when you reveal another." Xena smiled at the young man and he blushed, looking down.

"Xena I..." he began.

"Oh be quiet! Tell the rest of the  story, Joxer." Xena said, sitting next to him. Joxer smiled at her
and then carried on.

"This continued on for some time. The Queen loving and hating her children at the same time. The King hating those he had had with the Queen. And the children? His legitimate ones made the best of it and did their duties as best as they could. The other children did theirs, too, but took time out to torment them and anyone who was below their station. Then, one day King had an affair again, this time with one who wasn't even of their rank.

"He had done that before, but this time the other woman gave birth to a son. One the king declared was better than all the others and was an example to them all. And he caused the youngest son and the oldest to hate each other, to fight. By this time he knew that the only way to keep his throne was to keep them apart. So he ordered his oldest son to do things to the youngest. And made sure the youngest never knew, so his brother would be blamed and hated."

"And when his youngest son married, he desired his daughter in law. She refused him and he had her killed. His son returned in time to see his wife and children dying, the only clue to their death a few things deliberately left behind, of the Queens.  But his youngest son rallied and married again. The king desired her, too, but wanted her dead more. She had a secret that could kill them all. So he had her killed. And this time he left behind things that would make his son think his nephew, the son of his first born daughter, had done it."

Joxer stopped then and stared into the fire for a few minutes. The others all waited for him to finish. Finally, Gabrielle broke.

"Oh come on, Joxer, you can't leave it at that! What happened next?"

"Nothing much, really. The youngest son came to hate the Queen and his other relatives, apart from the King. So whenever he heard of something any of them were up to he would immediately set out to ruin any plans they may have had."

"But, that's not right! Surely he should take the time to listen to their side?"

"Well, Hercules, from his side, he had grown up on stories about his family as told by his father. How they were bad, how they were good at manipulating people. And then his first wife and children die, the only sign of who did it was apparently the Queen. And when he finally does marry again, his other wife  is also killed, this time apparently at the hand of his nephew. So he goes out for revenge."

Xena choked suddenly and Joxer turned to her, rubbing her back, finally getting her a drink as she couldn't seem to stop. Finally she spoke.

"Joxer, you have the heart of a lion. But you are also a fool. And clever at the same time." She stared at him and he stared back, entranced, a smile beginning to grow. The other three looked at them in astonishment.

"Wait a minute. What is going on here?" Hercules demanded.

"Haven't you figured it out yet?" Xena said, her eyes dancing.

"Figured out what? Xena? Why are you looking at Joxer like that?"

"I finally opened my eyes, Gabrielle. Joxer, I think we need to talk."

"Okay Xena." Joxer smiled and Xena grabbed his hand and they walked side by side into the woods. The others stared until Iolaus suddenly coughed and then began to laugh as well. Gabrielle ran and got him a drink while Hercules banged him on the back.

"Stop! Damn, that was good! I just realised what the story was about."

"But he didn't finish it!" Gabrielle said impatiently.

"Well how can he? It hasn't ended yet" Iolaus replied. Hercules stared at him. And then his eyes widened.

"No. It's not. He didn't."

"He did. And you were so angry, too, wanting justice." Iolaus began to grin and then started to laugh. Hercules frowned but then his mouth twitched and he stared laughing as well. Gabrielle stared at the two of them, frowning.  Finally, they settled down.

"Are you two feeling alright?" She asked anxiously. And Iolaus and Hercules began to laugh again.

Some distance away, Joxer and Xena heard them and smiled at each other.

"I guess Herc isn't too angry at me." Joxer said.

"I think he might still have something to say. How could I have been so blind all this time? I encourage you with Gabrielle, help you have faith in yourself. I certainly believed in you. But I was always so glad Gabrielle wouldn't see. And now you're mine."

"Xena I..mmmmph" the Warrior Princess grabbed Joxer and they kissed. She lifted her head up and he grabbed her, kissing her back. After a while, they drew back a little and stared at each other, panting. They smiled at each other and then kissed again.

Aphrodite sniffed and turned away, jumping to see Hera standing behind her.

"What are you doing here?"

"I want him to be happy." The Queen of the Gods pointed at the young mortal.

"So do I. You know, he's been with them for years now and his faith is still just the same...he believes in us and wishes us the best. And I've been trying for years to get him over the blond. And for Xena to open up a little and relax."

"Xena? Are you sure they're a good match? I'd like one of my descendants to be happy in love. And I know Hephaestus is very happy with you, but still."

"Hey. I love Hephy, you know. Yeah, we were forced into it but I do, now. Why wouldn't he let me and Arry get together? I mean, with the kids..."

"It's because of them. Ares had a son with you and then the other children as well. If they were
legitimate..." Aphrodite wrinkled her nose and frowned.

"Anyway. Back to the original topic. Joxer and Xena are meant to be together, you know? He needs someone to protect him and accept him as he is. And Xena needs someone gentle and loving like him to look after. I don't know how it happens she went by Blondie's village, she should have taken a left at Athens."

"Good. That young mortal has actually managed to get Hercules to see my side of the story. I want him to be happy." Hera began to leave.

"Oh he will. I've made sure of that. And Hera?" the Queen of the Gods turned back. "Happy Solstice."

"You too Aphrodite. Happy Solstice to everyone."

 

End

Series this work belongs to: