Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
6,899
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,012

Merry Christmas from Cascade Washington

Summary:

Summary: The gang from Major Crimes play Santa.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:


Merry Christmas, from Cascade Washington
by Maxine Wolfe

The odor of Christmas assaulted Jim Ellison as he stopped at his apartment door. //What have you done, Sandburg?// the cop silently questioned as he turned the key in the lock.

Stepping inside he found the loft had been turned in a Christmas showcase. A fully decked out tree stood next to the glass patio doors. Red, green, silver and gold candles of varing sizes, rested on top of all the tables. A branch of what Jim identified as mistletoe hung down from one of the railings around his upstairs bedroom. The aroma coming from a large bowl of clove studded apples and oranges sat in the middle of the glass topped dining table forced the sentinel to deal down his sense of smell.

„Sandburg!" Ellison called as he hung up his coat. Blair came out of the bathroom, a robe tied loosely about him.

„Hey, Jim," Sandburg ran his fingers through the damp curls atop his head.

„What's this?" the cop swiped his hand through the air.

„Like I know you said you didn't want to do the Christmas thing this year, but I had to bring this stuff home."

„Had to?" Jim crossed his arms across his chest, his expression said, make this ofucation a good one.

„I bought the tree from one of the fraternity. They were selling them to raise money for the victims of Mitch."

„It came with all the junk on it?"

„No. I got that at K-Mart. But it was really cheap. The lights were 75% off. They are suppose to be chasing lights, but they don't chase."

„And did you consider the reason they don't is faulty wiring which could start a fire?" Ellison pointed out.

„No," Blair answered softly, looking at his feet.

„But I'll only have them on when we're here," the younger man offered in a hopefully voice.

„And you'll smell anything that might start, before it's serious."

„Hum," the tough cop wasn't about to tell the anthropologist that he thought the tree was pretty.

„The candles look like we could light up all of Cascade in a black out."

„Saint Michael's was selling them outside of the K-mart. The money will go to their soup kitchen." Jim walked around the dining table, to stand under the mistletoe.

„And this?" He asked, looking upward.

„They were selling that too."

„Have you tried it out yet?"

„No," Sandburg moved under the bough too.

„Had plenty of offers, though," he wiggled his eye-brows.

„I bet those nuns were ready to forget their vows when they looked at this," Jim cupped his hands on either side of his partner's face.

„And this mouth could tempt a saint." the big man lowered his head until his lips found Blair's The kiss was slow and gentle. When Jim pulled back, Blair smiled up at him,

„it works".

„So, it seems," Jim started to kiss his lover again, but his sense of smell pulled his attention away. The aroma of spiced oranges filled his mind, taking him back to a time long forgotten.

*****

Jimmy and Stevie Ellison sat at the small table in the large kitchen. Two bowls of apples and oranges sat before them and a smaller bowl of whole cloves. Sally, the family's housekeeper, had given them the instructions for studding the fruit with the spice.

„Stevie!Stop eating all the apples." Jimmy scolded his little brother.

„We're suppose to be decorating them. And if you don't stop you'll have a bellyache."

„But I'm hungry," the 6-year-old whined.

„How can you be hungry after three apples?" The younger Ellison only shrugged, as his mouth was full of another apple. Sally looked up from the ingredients she was mixing. "Steven, your brother is right. You'll make yourself sick if you eat any more. Then you won't be able to have any of these cookies."

„Chocolate chips?!" Stevie squalled, jumping down from his chair to join the small Oriental woman at the counter.

„Yes," she looked down at the boy who smiled up at her.

„But you don't get any if you don't help Jimmy finish the fruit."

„Yes, ma'am," Stevie hurried back to the table.

„But she means putting the cloves in them," Jimmy said, pushing the bowl of tiny brown spikes toward his brother.

„Not eating them."

*****

 

 

„Jim?" Blair called to his partner. Ellison made no reaction to his name.

„Jim, man, you with me?" Sandburg noticed the older man's eyes seemed focused on the bowl of fruit on the dinning table.

„Oh, man, I'm sorry," the anthropologist went for the bowl to throw it out.

„I totally forget this might be over-powering for you." Blinking away the visions of the past, Jim, realized what Sandburg was about to do and grabbed his arm,

„NO, don't throw 'em out." Confessed, Blair looked from the fruit to his partner, and back.

„You just seemed to be zoning on them, thought it was their scent."

„It was," Jim took the bowl and sat it back on the table.

„They made me remember a Christmas as a kid."

„Was it a good memory?" Sandburg ask cautiously, knowing most of Jim's childhood memories where ones he'd rather not remember.

„Yeah, sort of." Jim smiled a smile that held a little sadness, though.

„Sally had me and Steven make these things." He gave a soft laugh.

„Stevie got a stomach ache from eating more of the apples than he decorated." He turned to grip the back of one the dinning table chairs. "It was the last Christmas we were all together. It was before Mom left... before Bud was murdered." Not wanting Sandburg to start analyzing the memory any farther, Ellison quickly changed the subject as he looked back at the younger man.

„So, what charity did you buy them from."

„Oh, none." The change of subject was not lost on Sandburg.

„I rescued them from the trash. They were the centerpiece at our faculty party today. They were just dumping them..."

„And being the recycler you are," Jim ruffled Blair's hair.

„You couldn't... let..." Another scent was drawing his attention.

„them... go to waste... What is that smell?" Walking over to the kitchen counter he found a large round cake.

„Sandburg, this is a fruit cake."

„Yeah," Blair said as he moved to Jim's side.

„MADD was selling them outside the Safeway."

„It's a great cause, but what are you going to do with this thing?"

„Take it down to the station." He said as if Jim should know without him saying it.

„It's a fruit cake," the last words were spat out in discuss.

„Jim, those guys will eat ANYthing. Rafe will probably finish half of it by himself."

„Not after what happened Thanksgiving," Jim reminded him.

„Oh, I forgot about that," Blair winced with sympathy for the young detective.

„Poor guy."

„Yeah, I feel for Joel, too. He had big plans for their first anniversary, but ended up holding Rafe's head as he threw up his guts all night long."

„But that was a month ago. He couldn't still be boycotting cake." Blair looked up at Jim.

„Anyway, why does he blame Megan's upside-down cake and not the three plates of turkey and dressing he ate before it?" Ellison shrugged,

„Don't know, he just does. And speaking of Rafe and Joel," Jim tapped his watch.

„Oh, man, I've got to get dressed." Blair rushed for his room. Ellison smiled as his partner disappeared into the small room that was just used as his office now. A few months after Sandburg's near-death, they had finally decided to stop tap-dancing around the fact they loved each other and Jim had moved Blair into his upstairs bedroom.

The smell of coffee drew him from the memories of nights spent together now. He turned back to the counter, a shutter ran through him as he took another look at the fruit cake and the thought of anyone eating it. He poured himself a cup of java and walked over to the christmas tree. He was glad his lover had ignored his wishes for no Christmas. The trappings around him now, reminding him of all the things he and Blair had survived and that they were both lucky to be seeing this Christmas at all.

„So, whatta think?" Blair's voice drew Jim from his study of the tree. Laughter doubled the cop over. He was just real glad he hadn't taken another sip of coffee or he would have been choking.

„It's not that funny," Sandburg protested.

„Is it?" he then quietly added.

„No," Jim wiped tears from his eyes.

„It's just..." He looked the younger man up and down again. The anthropologist was dressed in forest green velvet from the top of his pointy hat to the tip of his pointy toed shoes and all the edges were trimmed in gold tassels. It made Jim think of some demented seamstress named Scarlet who had pulled the drapes off her windows to make the elf clothes. He was able to suppress more laughter as he focused back on the large pointed ears that stuck out of Sandburg's dark brown curls, but then he lost his battle as a thought hit him.

„Jim!" Blair protested.

„You said it wasn't so bad."

„It's not really," he gripped his partner's shoulders.

„I just had a flash of what Rafe must look like in this same getup." Blair thought about the vision of Cascade's best dressed detective must be and joined in the laughter.

„Okay," Jim took a deep breath.

„I know Rafe volunteered for this," Jim waved his hands at Blair's clothes.

„because Joel is doing Santa again. But why did you?"

„I didn't," Blair said, as he took down his coat and Jim's from the wall hooks by the front door.

„I drew straws with Megan and H and I lost."

„Speaking of Conner," Jim pulled his coat on,

„we still have to pick her up?"

„No, H is going to do that." As they started out the door, Blair stopped.

„Man, Jim. You think Joel remembered he needs padding this year?"

„I'm sure he did, Chief."

„Well, just in case, he didn't." Sandburg turned back into the loft and ran upstairs. He came back carrying two pillows from Jim's bed.

„Had to be my pillows?"

„Our pillows, now." Blair corrected. Ellison just grinned as he pushed the down button on the elevator.

***

Each year the officers from Major Crimes picked a children's home, shelter or hospital to visit at Christmas. This year it would be Phoebe's Home, a shelter for abused and neglected children. Megan had found the shelter while working a case on her own at Halloween. When the subject of where the team would play Santa came up at Thanksgiving, Conner told the men about Phoebe's and they had whole-heartedly agreed to visit it at Christmas. Via directions from Megan, Jim pulled into the alley behind the large yellow and white house. It had been decided „Santa" and his „elves" would come in the back way to surprise the kids. Ellison shifted the truck into park, killed the engine and exited as Blair did, slamming the doors shut in unison. Stepping to the front of the truck, a dark green jeep pulled to a stop behind them. Detective Josiah Rafe climbed from the drive's side looking like an ad from GQ even in the green curtains.

„How does he do it?" Blair asked in a voice only Jim could hear.

„Wouldn't know," Ellison shrugged.

„You'd have to ask Joel about that."

„I didn't mean that!" Sandburg hissed, slapping Ellison's shoulder.

„I meant, how does he..." Blair stopped, realizing Jim had known what he meant. The younger man squinted his eyes at his partner who was trying very hard not to laugh,

„You just wait Ellison, pay backs are a bitch." Jim made a face that said,

„I'm shaking in my boots". Both men stopped their banter as Rafe walked up beside the truck saying,

„We've got a problem, guys." The three men turned to watch Joel Taggert crawl from the passenger side of the jeep. His Santa suit just hung on him, threatening to fall off.

„We got dressed at the station and well," Rafe started.

„I forgot I've got a 100 less pounds to fill the suit this year." Joel finished. Ellison looked down at a grinning Sandburg before he opened the truck door and pulled out the pillows.

„Sandburg, feared as much," Jim said as he tossed the pillows to Rafe.

„Thanks," Rafe called as he ran back to help Taggert stuff the pillows into the red suit. All four men looked up at the sound of the back screened door of the house slammed. Megan Conner trotted across the toy littered lawn.

„Where have you been?" The red-head demanded, opening the latch on the fence gate.

„Henri is running out of Christmas songs and Simon's suggestion of 99 Bottles of Beer wasn't appreciated.

„We're here now," Jim and Joel answered together.

„Well, come on in then," Megan opened the gate, wide for them to enter.

„Wait," Rafe called, going to the back of the jeep. "The gifts," he motioned for Blair to help him. They pulled out two large cloth bags filled with wrapped gifts and stuffed toys.

„Go, go," the Aussie, herded the four men ahead of her to the house. Once there she moved pass them to give Brown and Simon the thumbs-up sign. Nodding back to Conner, Henri Brown began in a kid-like voice,

„Santa Claus is coming to town... Santa Claus is coming... Is he coming?" He ask the children assembled there, his face as wide and innocent as a three year old.

„Do you see him?" The kids looked around only to see Megan and Jim standing in the doorway and shook their heads and chorused,

„No," back to H. With all the enthusiasm he could muster, H nodded his head yes,

„Santa Claus's coming to town," And with that he broke into the song which Jim and Megan joined in on, moving into the room.

On the second chorus Blair and Rafe bounced into the room, joining the singing. With squeals of delight from the kids as his cue, Taggert made his entrance, calling, „Ho, ho, ho, Merry Christmas." Brown vacated the chair he sat in near the small tree for Joel. Sitting down Taggert was quickly surrounded by the children of all ages. The captain had to fight to keep the smile on his face as his heart broke to see so many of them with bruises, bandages and even two with casts.

A gentle squeeze of his shoulder drew Taggert's eyes upward, to look into Rafe's soft hazel eyes. A small smile from his lover reassured Joel and made his smile beam brighter to all the kids.

„Well, who's first?" He chuckled, opening his arms, inviting someone to Santa's lap. The older kids stepped back and ushered younger ones before them. Each boy and girl took a turn telling Santa what they wanted. Megan had taken the time to visit several times during the weeks before hand to get ideas for gifts so everyone got something they wanted. Blair and Rafe would search threw their sacks for the right package, giving them to Taggert who would hand it to its owner. Soon most of those assembled where scattered about the room figuring outgames or trying on new Nikes and Reeboks. Simon and Brown sat among the discarded wrapping paper, helping lace shoes for the younger kids or explain rules to games. Megan had been pulled into a game of twister by several of older ones.

Jim noticed a small girl setting in a corner away from the maddness of the happy crowd. He walked over to Gwen Harper, the woman who was

„mother" to the children while in the shelter.

„I think someone needs some encouragement to talk to Santa," Ellison said to her, nodding toward the child he'd seen.

„I wish that was all it took to get her to talked." Gwen replied, sadly.

„She can't talk?" the cop ask.

„She hasn't in the three days she'd been here. We don't even know her name." She told Jim.

„How'd she get here?"

„Child Protection Services. She was found locked in a closet in a crack house that was raided. The officer that found her said it looked like she'd been in there for days. The hospital said she's physically fine, except for some malnutrition."

„What about those who were arrested?" Jim ask, then turned to catch Blair's attention across the room and motioned for him to join him.

„None of the adults have admitted to being her parent."

„Missing person's?" The cop ask.

„No matches as of yet, but you know that can take weeks, or longer."

„Hey, Chief," Jim said putting his arm around Blair's shoulders.

„Someone over there," he nodded toward the girl. "Needs some of your charm worked on them."

„What's her name?" Sandburg ask.

„We don't know," Gwen answered. Blair looked questioningly up at Jim, who squeezed his shoulder.

„See if you can get her to tell you, Chief."

„Sure, thing," The younger man smiled and headed for the child.

„Sandburg, can get anyone to talk." Jim assured Harper. Rafe had watched Blair walk over to Jim and now head for a small girl who hadn't joined the other kids around Joel. He leaned to whisper into Taggert's ear for him to look a Sandburg. Both men watched the anthropologist kneel down in front of the girl and talk softly to her. The only reaction she gave was to wrap her arms tightly about herself, scooting farther into the corner. He spoke to her again, but she just looked at the floor. Sandburg looked over his shoulder toward Ellison, who just shrugged. Rafe pulled out the last toy left in his sack as Joel stood up. They both walked over to where Blair had rejoined Ellison.

„What's up guys?" Taggert asked.

„Jim, wanted me to get her to join us," Sandburg began explaining.

„But as you see, it didn't work." He finished with a note of sadness in his voice.

„Let me try," Rafe volunteered as he pulled off the pointed ears and hat,handing them to Joel.

„Hi, there," He said as he sat down cross-legged before the girl.

„My name's Rafe and this," he brought forth a small black and grey furred teddy bear.

„Is Joel." He held the bear on one knee.

„Joel here is a very sad bear. See no one ask Santa if they could give him a home. And he so wanted to have a home." Rafe's bottom lip pouted out as though he were very sad himself. He slowly moved the bear from his knee to the floor between his legs and the child's.

„Some place nice and warm. Someplace where he'd be held and loved." He gently placed the toy on the little girl's knee.

„He really likes to be hugged." The child have finally stopped her study of the carpet and was now looking at the bear. Rafe turned the toy's face against her leg, as though he was hiding.

„Joel is shy, when he doesn't know someone's name." The bear turned to look up at the freckled face of the child, but quickly hid his sewn on features again.

„Maybe if you told him your name, he wouldn't be so shy." Her pale green eyes glanced up to met Rafe's for a second, then turned back to the bear.

„Morgan," the voice was so soft Rafe wasn't quit sure if he'd heard right. Turning the bear so he was the one asking, Rafe repeated the name,

„Morgan?" Strawberry blonde curls bounced as she nodded affirmative

„Joel Bear, let me introduce you to Miss Morgan...?" The detective, hoped the child would finish her name.

„MacCabe," she did finish, once again looking up at the man, then away.

„Miss Morgan MacCabe," Rafe repeated more to his fellow detectives than the stuff toy he held.

„I'll call her name into Missing Persons," Gwen said and hurried away.

„Joel would you like to stay with Morgan?" Rafe asked the bear, making it jump up and down.

„I take that as a yes." He handed the toy to the girl, who wrapped it in a tight hug.

„Would you like to thank Santa," Rafe ask as he climbed up onto his knees.

„He's the one who brought Joel here today." Morgan looked up toward where 'Santa' stood and ask, "Does he like hugs?"

„Even more than Joel Bear does," Rafe answered, smiling at Taggert. Jim and Blair looked at Joel, who both men could have sworn was blushing. Rafe stood and offered his hand to Morgan. She stood and cautionly took hold of the big hand, all the while clenching the teddy bear tightly to her chest. The detective led her over to his fellow officers.

„Hello, Morgan." Taggert/Santa bent to speak at the child's level. Without hesitation she threw her arms around his neck, squeezing tightly.

„Thank you Santa, for Joel." The ex-bomb squad captain easily lifted the almost weightless girl into his arms.

„I thank you for giving him someone to love."

„And I promise to love him forever." She swore with all her heart.

„I know you will, sweetie," Joel hugged her again, then lowered her back to the floor.

„Why don't you show Joel Bear to the other kids." Morgan looked dubiously about the room, then up to Rafe for reassurance. With a nod from him and the bear hugged to her once again, she walked out to the other kids and was taken into their mest. Simon joined his four men who all wore smiles.

„Why do I feel I've just missed something important?"

„Something very important," Jim said, slapping his captain on the back.

„And you're not going to tell me, what?" Banks said, folding his arms across his chest.

„You had to be there, Simon," Joel replied with a laugh. Gwen rejoined the group saying,

„Her name's being run threw the national list now. Hopefully we'll find a match and a home for her." She glanced at her watch, only then relizing the late hour.

„Okay, everyone," she called to the room.

„Time to say good-bye and head for bed." Groans of protested sounded in the room.

„Oh, do we have to?" Brown protested.

„But we're having a jolly good time," Megan reported.

„Yes, we do," Simon's voice sounded from behind her. "And I'm sure it's past the other children's bed time, too." Hugs and good-byes, along with thank yous were quickly exchanged with the kids, who were then herded to bed by Gwen's assistants.

„I thank all of you," Gwen said after the big room was cleared.

„This was likely the first happy Christmas most of those kids have ever had."

„It was our pleasure," Simon voiced for all his detectives and Sandburg.

„It sure was," Came the resounding chorus from the other men and Megan.

„If there's ever anything else my department can do for you," Banks took a business card from his wallet and handed it to Harper.

„Don't think twice about calling me."

„Thank you."

„Do you want help cleaning up this mess?" Megan asked.

„No, the kids will do it tomorrow." Gwen told her.

„Then, we'll leave you," Banks said moving to herd his 'kids' from the room. As the members of Major Crimes began to go their own ways, Blair grabbed Jim's arm.

„Hey, why don't we have everyone come back to the loft?" he suggested.

„Thought we'd have a quite night alone." Ellison said.

„We can do that any other night, Jim." Blair said with promise in his voice.

„Tonight is Christmas eve, we should be with family and friends." Jim ruffed Blair's hair,

„You're right Chief. Hey guys," He then called out.

„How about coming to the loft for a little party."

„Yeah! Sure! Sounds great!" echoed from the other men and Megan.

„Head on over, then," Jim instructed.

„We'll have to stop for some food along the way."

„Hey, let me and Henri do that," Megan volunteered.

„Yeah, we came stop at the super store on Dorsey," Brown agreed.

„They always have the greatest deli trays made up."

„Oh,and they have those little hot chicken wingys." Conner added.

„And mixed fruit trays," H continued as he and Aussie moved on to their car.

„some reason I've been having this craving for honeydew lately."

„Maybe you're pregent, H." Megan laughed climbing in the car.

„Oh, my god, maybe you're right," Brown said seriously.

„I better go after those two," Simon told Jim as he opened the door of his sedan.

„Or there is no telling what we'll have to eat." Simon pulled away leaving the other four men to walk around the house to where their vehicles were parked.

„You two heading straight to the loft?" Ellison ask Rafe and Taggert.

„Yeah," Joel answered.

„If you don't mind us getting out of these getups once we're there."

„Only if you've got other clothes. I don't think I could take the two of you walking around in your underwear in front of my Christmas tree." Jim jested.

„Very funny, Ellison," Joel laughed.

„I wouldn't let Conner have the pleasure." The four men laughed together before getting into their respective vehicles. Jim watched the taillights of the jeep fade into the night before putting his keys into the ignition.

„You okay with this party thing?" Blair ask concerned, since the cop was just sitting there not starting the truck.

„I was just thinking about Steven," Jim replied.

„Why don't you call and invite him over." Sandburg suggested.

„I'm sure he's busy," Ellison said, running his hands along the edge of the steering wheel. Blair gently laid his left hand over Jim's right. "You don't know that for sure, if you don't call." Jim reached into his coat, pulling out his cell phone. Pushing in his bother's number, Ellison looked over at Sandburg who was grinning like a cheshire cat.

„Hello?" Steven Ellison's voice sounded over the receiver.

„Steven, it's Jim."

„What's happened?" the younger Ellison asked in a voice that said he experted something terrible.

„Nothing," Jim reassured.

„The guys from the PD are coming over for a small party and I thought if you weren't busy you might join us?"

„What do you want me to bring?" Steven asked.

„Just yourself," the cop told him.

„Okay," Steven changed his wording.

„What can I bring?" Jim laughed.

„What?" Blair inquired moving closer, trying to hear what was being said over the phone.

„What did he say?" Ellison motioned for Blair to be quite before answering his bother.

„How about some of that imported beer you like?"

„It's ale, big brother." Steven corrected.

„Megan should love it."

„Megan? Who's that?" Steven inquired interestedly.

„Oh, I forgot you haven't met our exchange officer," Jim grinned.

„Sounds like this night might be very interesting." Steven laughed.

„I'll see you in about half and hour, Jimmy."

„See you then," Jim ended the connection and put the phone back into his pocket.

„Are you going to try set Steven up with Megan?" Blair asked, smiling.

„I didn't say anything like that." Jim defended.

„Um, hah." Sandburg just nodded.

„Would it be so bad if I did?"

„I never said it would be. I just never knew you could play cupid."

„Sandburg. I'm not... oh, never mind," Ellison silently admitted defeat and started the truck.

„I'll help you manuover them under the misletoe Blair promised, reaching over to squeeze Jim's leg.

„Guess that leaves H with Simon."

„Simon and H?!" Blair stammered, his eyes growing huge. Jim's laugh echoed in the truck's cab. "Gottcha."

„You..." Sandburg slugged the cop in the shoulder.

„Give me a heartattack. You just wait until I tell Simon."

„Don't you even think about it, Sandburg." Jim grawled. A grin threatened to split the younger man's face,

„Gottcha." Ellison just snarled at him and they both broke into laughter as they stop in front of 852 Prospet.

„What's so funny?" Rafe asked them when they climbed from the blue and white truck.

„A private joke," Blair winked at Jim, rekindling the older man's laughter.

„Knowing those two," Joel said with a hand on Rafe's shoulder.

„We really don't want to know." Rafe and Taggert followed the other two men into the building and up the stairs. Once in the loft Jim instructed them,

„You can use the office," He nodded to Blair's old room.

„to change."

„Thanks," Rafe said, more than ready to get out of the elf clothes. Just as he pushed open the doors to the room, Joel grabbed his elbow. Halting, Rafe looked questioningly to the older man. Taggert only looked upward. A smile spread across Rafe's face upon seeing the misletoe. He put down the bag he carried, to wrap his arms around Joel's neck and pulled him into a kiss. Unable, or unwilling, to stop themselves, Jim and Blair began to hum

„I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus". With his arms still around Rafe, Joel turned to Ellison and Sandburg.

„What comedic bog bit the two of you?"

„The Christmas one," they chimed in unison.

„Do you think we'll be safe here?" Rafe asked with all the seriousness he could muster.

„Let's lock the door just to make sure," Taggert suggested, ushering the younger man into the small room. Jim and Blair stood there smiling at the closed door until Ellison tugged on Sandburg's sleeve.

„You going to stay in those all night?"

„No, but I need to set up some stuff before the others get here."

„You go change, Chief," Jim insisted.

„I'll take care of things down here."

„You sure?"

„Go, on, before I change my mind," Ellison warned. He started to take down glasses, plates, and such then stopped. Going to the phone, Jim dialed Simon's cell number.

„Banks," Simon answered. Jim could hear Brown and Megan in the background groaning that they hoped it wasn't work.

„Simon, it's Jim."

„What's wrong?"

„Why does everyone assume something is wrong when I call them," Ellison injected an injured tone in his voice.

„Because it usually is," Banks reminded him. "What do you need?"

„Cups and plates... no sytform, though."

„Utensils, too?" Simon asked.

„Yeah, I don't want to be spending my first Christmas off washing dishes." A deep chuckle sounded over the line.

„Sure thing, Jim. Anything else?"

„That's it," Jim conculded.

„Will the two of you stop that," Banks swore. "God, Brown and Conner are fighting over a purple doll."

„It's Tinky Winky," Megan informed Simon.

„What the hell's a tinky winky?" the police captain asked.

„Never mind." He turned his attention back to Ellison.

„We'll be there shortly. If store security doesn't bust these two."

„See you Simon," Jim laughed, hanging up the phone.

„What's so funny?" Blair asked from behind him. Jim turned to find his partner looking much more line himself now in jeans and flannel shirt.

„Simon has his hand full. Seems H and Megan are fighting over toys."

„Oh, man, I'd love to see that," Blair grinned. Looking around the kitchen his grin soon turned into a scowl.

„Jim," he scolded.

„You haven't gotten anything ready."

„I'm having Simon get paper stuff so we don't have to wash dishes." Ellison explained away his lack of perpetration.

„You could have at least started a fresh pot of coffee."

„Coffee? Did you say coffee?" Joel's voice asked.

„We got some that's hours old," Jim told him as he held up a half filled pot.

„Or you can want for a fresh pot."

„No use to let that go to waste," Joel said, nodding to the pot.

„I've seen him drink day old stuff and like it," Rafe said with a discussed look on his face.

„You better behave yourself young man or Santa won't be leaving you any gifts," Taggert threatened.

„Oh, no, not that," Rafe and Blair both groaned.

„No respect for their elders," Jim told Taggert as he handed the older man a cup of coffee.

„Why do we put up with them?" Joel asked, then left the mug to his mouth. Rafe leaned close to whisper into his lover's ear,

„Because we're great in bed". Taggert almost choked on his coffee, when Jim and Blair just laughed.

„Steven's here," Jim suddenly announced, moving to open the door before his brother had even knocked.

„How'd he know that?" Rafe questioned, only receiving shrugs from Blair and Joel.

„Let me help you," Ellison offered, lifting up on of the boxes his younger brother carried.

„Thanks," Steven said panting.

„Could have used you downstairs," he sat his box on the dinning table. "You're elevator's not working again."

„MacTaggart's Dark Ale?" Joel picked up a bottle out of case Jim had set on the kitchen counter.

„Never heard of this."

„It's from a micro-brewery in Dunblane, Scotland." Steven said as he handed Blair his coat.

„I met the owner while over there on business and found out hs shipped to a gourmet store here." A knock, or rather a kick, sounded at the door. Blair, being the closest to the door opened it. Megan backed into the room, carrying a covered platter.

„Merry Christmas, Sandy," the Aussie chirped, handing over her burden to Sandburg. He looked around the door into an empty hallway, "Where's Simon and H?"

„They're on their way," she answered and turned to Steven.

„Hi," she extended her hand.

„Megan Conner."

„Steven Ellison," he smiled, shaking the offered hand.

„Ellison?" Conner glanced at Jim.

„I'm his brother," Steven answered. Megan looked questionly at Jim,

„Is he a..." Blair shook his head sharply.

„Am I a what?" Steven asked his brother.

„As studburn?" Conner quickly covered.

„More so," Jim smiled. The brothers laughed, something they seldom did together.

„Conner, you could have given us a hand," Brown's voice complained as he came through the doorway, laddened with several covered trays. Rafe grabbed the top on as it began to slip off the stack.

„Or at least sent one of these lofers down to help," Simon added, following Brown into the room. Blair took hold of the white plastic bags Simon carried.

„Just pile it all here," Jim instructed, moving the bowl of spiced fruit from the dinning table.

„Simon there's only eight of us, not an entire battalion," Jim said staring at the amount of food that had been brought in.

„Don't look at me," the police captain held up hs hands in surrender.

„Those two," Banks pointed an accusing finger at Megan and Brown.

„Wouldn't stop."

„It all looked so delisue," Megan said in her defense.

„And we were hungry," Brown added as he tore open a package of plates and began to fill it up.

„Where's your microwave, Sandy?"

„Jim blew it up last year and never got another one," Blair told Conner.

„Blew it up?" Inquesitive minds asked.

„It was an accident and leave it at that," Ellison replied, directing a warning glare at his partner.

„How am I going to heat my wingies," Megan questioned as though a great deaster at had happened.

„Oven," Sandburg answered, moving to pull out a baking sheet for her.

„That will that forever," The Aussie pouted.

„I'll keep you company," Steven smiled charminly at Conner.

„Alright," She smiled back picking up her platter of buffalo wings.

„And you can tell me all about Jim as a boy."

„Like an ale while we talk?" Steven asked, pulling two brown bottles from the wooden crate.

„Hold it," Jim announced, walking over to the front door to pick up the small basket he sand Sandburg always threw their keys into.

„All your keys in here. If you can't walk a straight line -- you're not driving."

„I thought of that, Jim," Simon said, picking up a six pack of non-acholcic beer.

„I'll drive home anyone who needs it."

„Let's party!" Brown and SAndburg exclaimed together.

„Conner," Ellison called.

„Make a pot of coffee while you're listening to my little brother's lies about me."

„Sure thing," she started to rummage in the cabinets for the coffee.

„Ah, wait a minute, Jim," Taggert spoke up. "Remember the last time she made coffee." A shared memory of drinking what could have been swerage water, drew a groan from all of the Major Crimes men.

„It wasn't that bad," Conner protested.

„I'll get it," Steven offered.

„Oh, god, that'll be worst," Blair spoke up as he recalled trying to drink a cup of what Steven said was coffee.

„I'll just make it," Sandburg volenteered and went about his task.

„Hey, H," Rafe called.

„Where's your guitar?"

„Down in the car." Brown answered after swallowing the ale he had in his mouth.

„Want me to get it?"

„Yeah, we could sing caroles in front of the tree." Rafe suggested.

„That sounds like a plan to me detective," Simon added.

„Be right back," Henri promised, pulling on his coat and heading out the door.

„So, who won the great doll battle?" Jim asked Simon around a mouth full of hard salami.

„I did," Banks answered popping a stuffed olive into his mouth.

„I didn't know you wanted it."

„I didn't," Simon smiled.

„I bought it and gave it to the first two year old I saw."

„You mean a two year old that wasn't H or Megan?" Ellison grinned.

„Exactly." The sentinel raised his bottle of ale in salute to his captain's intellange.

„Man it's snowing out there," Brown exclaimed as he came back into the loft.

„Cool," Blair voiced his excitement. He made his way across the room to look out the double glass balcony doors.

„A white Christmas, this is so great." Rafe and Taggert joined Sandburg at the doors. They stood there a very moments with the arms about each others shoulders, just watching the fluffy white stuff drifting down. Joel turned back to face the others in the room.

„A toast," he called raising his bottle.

„To best friends and great cops. May we always have one or the other to watch our backs."

„Here, here!" All agreed, clicking bottles with whoever was closest to them.

„And to family," Jim added.

„Be they blood or choosen," he looked at Steven then Blair, acknowledging his feelings for both.

„Amen," Taggert agreed, reaching an arm around Rafe's waist.

„I think I'm going to cry," Megan sniffled. Brown having pulled his guitar from his case and seated himself on the sofa, began to strum a tune.

„Chestnuts roasting on an open fire," his voice joined the music.

„Jack Frost nipping at your nose," Rafe sang.

„Yule tide carols being sung by a choir," Taggert continued.

„And folks dressed up like eskimos," Blair and Jim joined in.

„Everybody knows a turkey and some mysletoe help to make the season bright," everyone else sang and the song was finished with all the harmony they could muster.

„Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas to you."

*****

Epiloge.... New Year's Eve....

„Rafe!" A load little voice pulled the detectives of Major Crimes away from their work.

„Morgan?" Rafe meet the bouncing girl as she wove her way through the other detectives' desk.

„What are you doing here?" Taggert, Brown, Ellison and Sandburg were drawn to the scene.

„She wanted to say good-bye," The five men looked up at a young man who stood in the doorway into the bullpen. He moved forward, offering his hand to Rafe. "Brian MacCabe, I'm Morgan's father."

„Daddy found me," the little girl grinned.

„He's going to take me home now, but I had to say good-bye." She held up the bear Rafe had given her a week before. "And Joel had to say good-bye, too."

„You'll have to write me some times and let me know how you and Joel are doing," Rafe told the kid as he hugged her again.

„Can I Daddy?" she asked, looking up at her father.

„Of course you can, sweetie," He pulled his wallet out of his coat. Taking out a business car he handed it to Rafe.

„Call me anytime you want to know how she's doing. I have to thank all of you. My wife wouldn't accept I got cousidy of Morgan when we divorced. She kidnapped her over a year ago." Tears were forming in the green eyes MacCabe shared with his daughter.

„Ms Harper told me you were the ones who Morgan talked to and that's how Child protective services found me."

„We're just glad Morgan is back with someone who'll take care of her," Rafe voiced the sentiments of all the men.

„I'll do that for sure," MacCabe picked his daughter up.

„Say good-bye now, we've got to get to the airport."

„Bye-bye," the girl waved to them all.

„Bye," they called back as father and daughter left.

„This calls for a celebration," Blair said and hurried back to Jim's desk where his backpack sat.

„Have a piece," He offered up stack of sliced fruitcake.

„Oh, no! Not fruitcake!" the four detectives cringed and began moving as fast as they could away from the offending muli-colored spickled brown pile. Almost knocking over Conner as she entered the room.

„Was with them?" Megan asked and stunned Sandburg.

„This," he held out the cake.

„Fruitcake!" Conner exclaimed.

„Oh, Sandy, I love this stuff."

THE END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Maxine Wolfe.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.