Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,026
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
16
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,388

Star Trekkin'

Summary:

This story was supposed to be for the NCIS LFWS round this week but the prompt was a little different than I thought after I wrote it and submitted it and as I couldn't see any reason why one of the main characters would go to the movies with one of the secondary characters (ie Vance, Jenny, Morrow, Jimmy), I decided to take a skip this round, and so you poor people get to read this first <g>.

Work Text:


Star Trekkin'
By Annie

"You know, I never would have guess this'd be such a great movie." I stuff a handful of popcorn into my mouth and munch on it as I watch the screen. "I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but everyone just had to go see The Search For Spock, right?" I look over the man in the neighboring seat who arches an eyebrow at me. "Okay, not everybody, just those of us who thought they'd killed Spock off… You look kinda like him when you do that eyebrow thing…"

"DiNozzo, shut up," Gibbs whispers, "it's not about the movie. We're here to see if anyone tries to stick a knife in McGee's back because they think he's a Marine."

"I know that, Boss." I lean forward to peer at McGee, sitting two rows ahead. "He looks kinda cute in uniform, like a little toy soldier. Hey, you really think this guy's gonna show up here? I mean why pick Star Trek? I mean he could be at the showing for X-Men for all we know."

"Yeah, well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, won't we, DiNozzo?" I wait for the expected headslap then relax when I realize none's forthcoming.

I put my popcorn down, reach over for my soda. "I just figured the fact that you chose this movie for us to cover means you must think he's gonna show up at this one. You know, being the number one team and all. You know, another notch in the old Gibbs/DiNozzo bedpost of arrests, Boss."

I do get a headslap for that. "Ouch!"

Someone in the row ahead of us tells us to shut up and I stick out my tongue then lean back in my seat. There's a sudden flare of light from the movie screen and something catches my eye. "Probie!" I yell as I dump the soda cup onto the seat behind me and leap to my feet, turning to push past the people at the end of the row then running flat out to where McGee is sitting, apparently oblivious to the knife I can see heading towards his back.

Footsteps pound behind me accompanied by shouts of "siddown already" and "oy!" but then I'm at the row of seats behind McGee and I just throw myself sideways, managing to bring the killer's knife arm down as I land across the guy's lap. The knife slices across my arm, leaving a burning trail along my flesh and then I hit the floor as the guy stands up and pushes me away. It sounds like the entire audience has headed for the exits if the thundering of running feet is anything to go by.

I reach out a hand and snag the nearest ankle, hanging onto it for dear life till I finally hear Gibbs' voice saying, "We got him, DiNozzo. You can let him go now."

I unclench my fingers and roll onto my back, seeing McGee's face staring worriedly down at me. "You okay, Probie?" I ask.

"I'm fine," McGee replies. "How you doing?"

I hold up my hand and let McGee pull me up to a sitting position. "Damn!" I curse, seeing the bloodstained rip in the sleeve of my jacket.

Gibbs drops into a crouch in front of me. "Good job, DiNozzo," he says. "You forget McGee was wearing a vest?"

"Hey, the guy could have gone for this throat," I say, matching actions to words with a swipe across my own throat that makes me wince as the knife wound really starts to throb.

"Medics are on their way in." Gibbs wraps a handkerchief around my arm then places my other hand over it. "Keep the pressure on it."

I looked up at the screen. The credits are rolling. "Okay, the minute this comes out on DVD, you owe me a copy, McGee."

~oOo~

By the time I'm stitched up it's late and I'm almost stumbling with exhaustion as I walk upstairs to my apartment. There's a sliver of light under my front door and I pull my gun then test the doorhandle. It opens, which is a worry seeing I know for sure I locked it this morning. I ease it open slowly then step inside, looking around. The living room light's the only illumination and I can't see anything missing so I move further into the apartment… and find myself pushed back against the door, with a well-muscled arm across my throat.

"You know," Gibbs says as he holds me there, "you need more unarmed combat training. I shouldn't have been able to take you down that easily."

I point at my throat. "Need air here."

He releases me then leans in and kisses me hard. "You okay?"

I lift my arm and show him the bandage. "Ten stitches," I tell him, a hint of pride in my voice. "Why are you here? Don't you have a murderer to scare the pants off?"

"McGee's doing that," he tells me as he walks away, over to the entertainment center where he picks up the remote. "Brought you a present." He flicks the control to turn on the TV and DVD player and I walk over to him as the theme music from the Star Trek movie blasts from the speakers.

"How did you get that? It's not out yet?" I yell. "Wait a minute. Is this one of those DVDs someone made by using their phone camera in the theater?"

He shrugs as he turns the sound down. "Beats me. McGee said it was the real deal."

"McGee?" I look at the TV. "Looks like the real deal to me. How'd he get this?"

Gibbs shrugs. "Something about connections from his books. You gonna sit down and watch this with me?"

"Sure." I wait till he sits then make myself comfortable, lying down, my head in his lap. "This was actually almost worth getting knifed for," I say.

"Mmm," he mutters absently. "We watching this or talking?"

Grinning, I roll to my side so I can see the screen. "Watching, Boss, watching."

 

End