Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,061
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
2,092

Caitlin's Conundrum

Summary:

Summary: Kate muses over her colleagues' actions.

Work Text:



Caitlin's Conundrum
by Starbucks Sue

As they made their way back up to the flight deck for the homeward journey Kate had to admit that it had been an interesting experience. The aircraft carrier, USS Enterprise, had made the USS Foster look like a large sailboat and even after her time on board she still couldn't get over the fact that over five thousand men and women lived and worked on the ship on a daily basis, it was like a small city and even she hadn't slipped up and incorrectly referred to the ship as a boat.

She hadn't been sure whether Gibbs and Tony had been trying to help or hinder with their instructions on how to navigate around the ship, she guessed it was another of those trials that they had been throwing her way over the past five weeks since she joined NCIS. She'd been determined not to let them beat her though, oh no, Caitlin Todd had been brought up with brothers, she could survive just fine in a man's world and she was definitely not going to show any weakness to these two particular men. They still confused her though, understanding men had never been one of her strong points and although she was trying hard not to profile them it was almost second nature to her by now, the dynamic between them whilst on the ship, despite being an eye opener in one way, ultimately confused her even more.

And she'd finally met the famous Stan Burley. She'd been fascinated with the team's reactions when Gibbs had walked in and announced that they were flying out to the Enterprise to assist with Burley's investigation. Ducky and Abby had both waxed lyrical about Gibbs' former senior field agent as if he were the best thing since sliced bread and had been overly excited, in Kate's opinion, about the impending trip, with Ducky even going so far as to send the agent a cricket ball. Kate still wasn't sure what that had all been about! However, it had been Tony's reaction that had intrigued her the most; although as usual he'd been quick to mask his expression she'd been sure she'd seen a flash of jealousy and that had been confirmed, in her mind, by the way he'd acted during their time on the ship.

As they walked across the deck towards the waiting COD she reflected on the ill-fated conversation she'd had with Tony during the investigation, remembering the surge of sympathy which had swept through her on seeing the mix of confused emotions on her young colleagues' face which had prompted the attempted reassurance.

"It's not the same thing you know."
"What?" Tony had looked at her, confusion showing plainly on his face.
"You and Gibbs, Burley and Gibbs."
"I don't know what you're talking about." Tony was quick with his denial but refused to look directly at her.
"It's a different dynamic, a different time. You can't compare the relationships."
"Who's comparing."
"All I am saying is that things on the surface aren't always the same as when you put them in context with the way they've actually developed, you know, under the surface." She winced realizing it hadn't come out quite how she's imagined it.
Tony looked at her puzzled "I have no idea what you just said."
"Neither do I but the intent was sincere."

She smiled wryly to herself as she reflected on her words; she'd known what she was trying to say it just hadn't come across quite as she'd planned. She'd clearly seen Tony's confusion and a little of the hurt and insecurity that the younger man had felt at the easy camaraderie and apparently genuine affection between his Boss and his predecessor and was puzzled by it, in the time she'd been at NCIS she had never seen anything to indicate that Tony had any reason to be insecure in his place as Gibbs' second in command, quite the opposite in fact. Despite Tony's apparent goofing around sometimes he was clearly very good at his job and it was obvious to Kate that Gibbs trusted him implicitly.

As Kate said her farewells to Stan and followed Gibbs over to the COD they were about to depart on the older man turned back to watch exchange between Tony and Stan, a smile of affection and amusement curling at the corner of his mouth. Intrigued at the expression Kate turned back just in time to witness the wide smile of pure pleasure spread over Tony's face to match the grin on Stan's. Turning back to Gibbs she caught his eye and her face dropped at the chuckle of amusement from the Senior Agent as he climbed into the plane, she quickly followed, a sudden thought stirring in her mind.

"Gibbs, have you and Burley been winding Tony up?" She demanded on catching him up. And not just Gibbs and Burley, if it was then Ducky and Abby were guilty too in her mind.

Gibbs raised his eyebrows at her in amusement but didn't say anything as he turned to take his seat with a grin.

"Gibbs?" Kate gave up, shaking her head at the senior agent's silence as she made her way to her seat.

She watched Tony as he climbed into the aircraft, noticing straight away the pleased grin that was still plastered over his face, the swagger that had been missing throughout the investigation was back in his stride and as he swung himself into the seat next to her Kate could sense a new confidence in him. Catching Gibbs' eye he gave a minute nod and she suddenly realized that the older man had known exactly what he was doing all along and, if this was the result, it had worked.

As they prepared for takeoff Kate wondered again about her colleagues and the dynamic between them. She had learned something valuable over the past few days but whilst it answered one question, it post a whole new set of questions that Kate knew wouldn't be answered easily, she was just going to have to watch them more closely in future.  She would get there she knew, she was an investigator after all.

 

end