Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of Songs of the Heart
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,213
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,212

Meetings Old Friends and New Friends

Summary:

This is the third of three interconnected drabbles.

Work Text:

 

Songs of the Heart 3 - Meetings, Old Friends and New Friends
by DennSedai

 

Letting out a sigh, Xander looked up from the research he was doing when the phone rang. Reaching over he grabbed it and answered.

"Hi Mac, what's up?" Listening he nodded a few times at what Mac had to say. "I have mentioned that it might be a nice idea Mac, but I'm not going to push the issue. You know how stubborn he can be."

Listening as Mac went on, Xander just shook his head. "Sure, you tell him then, I can arrange my own schedule around it as things are relatively peaceful at the moment."

Xander let out a chuckle at that. "Sure, that's fine Mac. You tell him, I'll let him rant when he get's home and then we'll work it out somehow."

*****

Walking into the house, Danny hung up his coat, forcing himself to breath slowly and tried to calm down.

"Xander, where are you lover mine?"

"In the kitchen," Xander called back in reply.

Making his way there, Danny fought to keep his temper under control.

"Hey there, perfect timing, dinner's just about ready," Xander called out as Danny walked into the kitchen. "I trust that you're hungry?"

Danny let out a soft sigh at that. "A little, but I think we need to have a discussion first."

Xander let out a sigh of his own at that. "Yeah, I suppose we do. Just hear me out first all right?"

Danny just offered an impatient nod at that.

"I didn't suggest anything to Mac. He called me and was griping about the overtime and the budget hours. He also asked why I hadn't pushed for the two of us to take some time off."

Danny nodded at that, forcing himself to keep a neutral expression on his face.

"So I said that I had brought up the idea with you, but you decided it wasn't a good time to do that. So he asked why I hadn't insisted," Xander said slowly, forcing his voice to stay calm and level. "So I told him I left decisions like that up to you. If you needed the time off, you'd take it. If it was that important to take it up with you."

"Fine," Danny said. "Although he implied that you were the one asking for it. He decided that to make the budget work he had to cut a few hours here and there for everyone. So we've got a three day spot coming up and then a few other days here and there as well. Same for Stella and a few others."

Xander nodded at that. "So did he offer a choice of days, or did he already pick them out according to his own logic?"

"He did pick out the blocks where he needs to cut hours, based on when we're likely to be a bit slower. So we get to pick and choose from those. Any special times or plans for you?"

"If we could get a few days together, then I would love to take a trip out of town. Just make sure to clear it with Mac first, so he doesn't bitch at either of us. Maybe hit LA for a day or two and meet up with an old friend or two of mine," Xander offered with a grin. "After all I think you'd find it interesting, even if it's a little weird for your tastes."

"Uh huh, and weird in this case being what lover?"

"Karaoke?"

Shaking his head, Danny grinned. "Uh huh, what else Xander. If it was just karaoke, it wouldn't make me think it's weird."

"It's a place called Caritas. It's a very mixed crowd in all meanings of the word."

"And why exactly did you want to go there?"

"Just to catch up with an old friend, guy by the name of Lorne. Most of the people who go there know him simply as The Host. He's a great guy, even if his taste in clothes is a bit out there."

*****

Looking around at the unusual, to him at least crowd, Danny bit down on the impulse to swear. Grabbing Xander's elbow he spoke in a harsh whisper. "You got some explaining to do Xander."

Xander let out a soft chuckle at that. "Trust me Danny, you're perfectly safe here and I promise nothing and no one would hurt you."

"Uh huh, I so believe that."

"Trust me, besides which this place has protections in place that keeps any and every one from causing harm to any one else. You can't act in violence at all."

Danny rolled his eyes at that. "If you say so."

"Sweet Cheeks, I wasn't expecting to see you again," Lorne called from his seat at the bar, as he caught sight of Xander. "Oh my and you two did work it out huh?"

Xander let out a rueful chuckle at that. "I'll explain then Danny, it's not what it sounds like…or not entirely that is."

"Give me a minute, and we'll talk," Lorne said turning to walk the demon walking off the stage off to one side and give him his reading.

"So explanation," Danny asked forcing his voice to stay level.  

Xander led the way to the bar and placed their order.

"Lorne is able to read a person's future to some extent when they sing for him. Twice in the past I sang and he told me some of what he saw," Xander offered. "That's one of the main draws of Caritas. The ability to not only drink in peace and safety, but also to have your future read if you need some guidance or advice."

"Ok," Danny said slowly, drawing it out. "How accurate can it be though? I mean…"

"I know what you're asking cupcake," Lorne said softly cutting into the middle of the conversation. "As for how accurate I am, it varies with the individual. Some people I just get a tiny bit of information, others well I get the whole enchilada so to speak."

"I also saw the two of you ending up together when Sweet Cheeks here sang the first time. I also warned him not to let go, once he found you the first time."

Danny let out a small chuckle at that. "Yeah well, apparently he didn't listen that well did he?"

"Hey no picking on me. You know now, part of why I had to drop everything and leave. Even if you don't know the details about that particular incident," Xander offered. "And I do believe I've since made up for that small lapse of good sense."

"So are you two going to be singing for us tonight?"

Xander shot Danny a questioning look at that. At Danny's shrug he let out a sigh of his own.

"If I can talk him into it, I'd like to. Same as last time?"

"Yep, just say the name of the song and the artist. Then the music and words will key up. It's all part of the service," Lorne offered. "And please tell me your lover's voice is better than our mutual friends, I don't think I can take too many more butchered songs at the moment."

Danny burst into laughter at that.

"No, you wouldn't believe how badly that person sang. Basically, Angel couldn't carry a tune if you gave him a bucket and a personal vocal coach," Lorne offered with a slight smirk. "And brood…damn if he couldn't out brood any being any where or time."

"Someone that I should know about Xander?"

"Nope, an old associate, neither of us could stand the other. Although my reasons for disliking him were a tad more valid at the time."

Lorne let out a small chuckle at that. "Yeah well, that's neither here nor there boys. So can I count on you two for a song? Maybe a nice duet?"

Danny considered that for a moment before giving in. "Why not, after all we're already here…"

*****

[Together:] This is it!

[Together:] Oh, I finally found someone; Someone to share my life;

[Together:] I finally found the one - to be with every night;

[Xander:] Cause whatever I do

[Danny:] It's just got to be you!

[Together:] My life has just begun, I finally found someone...  

[Danny:] Did I keep you waiting?

[Xander:] I didn't mind

[Danny:] I apologize

[Xander:] Baby, that's fine

[Danny:] I would wait forever

[Together:] Just to know you were mine;

*****

Smiling at the two guys walked off the stage to a roar of applause, Lorne just shook his head. "Another SeaBreeze for me, and whatever the two of them want Max."

Looking at the second drink sitting beside Lorne, Xander fought down the frown that he felt.  

"Please tell me it's not that bad."

Lorne chuckled at that. "Not so much bad, as a slight overload of information. But we do need to talk privately you two," Lorne said. "So grab your drinks, and follow me back to the office."

Leading the way, Lorne considered all that he'd seen. Some of it was important and some of it they didn't really need to know. Not yet at least.

Shooting Xander a look, Danny raised one eyebrow.

Xander shook his head ever so slightly in the negative and followed with Danny a step or two behind him.

*****

"All right you two. I got a lot of information. Some of it is more important, and some of it less so. So I'll hit the major points for you. All right?"

Xander let out a soft sigh at that. "Fine, I'm guessing it's going to be one of those headache makers, so let's go for it."

Danny just rolled his eyes at that.

"As for you Cupcake, you've only seen some of the smaller, tip of the iceberg weirdness that goes on. For some reason, you're going to be a fair bit more involved in what's coming up. I know it's a bit of a stretch for you, but there's a lot that goes on that people never realize."

Xander just nodded his agreement at that. "So how bad is it this time Lorne?"

"Well you two are going to end up helping someone who needs a lot of help. Both training him so he doesn't get killed, helping him rebuild his sense of self-worth, and also dealing with the 'allies' that he has. Although they're far less helpful than they appear. Some of them see him as a useful pawn to be used and then thrown away."

Xander let out a low threatening growl at that.

Reaching over Danny gently put a hand on Xander's arm and gripped him lightly. "Calm down Xander, we'll deal with it. Just relax."

Lorne smiled slightly at that. "The kid will be showing up in the summer sometime. He's basically going to be running away and in one hellish amount of pain, emotionally. Physically…." Lorne trailed off hesitantly. "I'll make a few calls of my own to find a local healer for you and some other contacts."

"What else Lorne," Xander asked, staring him dead in the eyes.

"He's got a locked prophecy about him and some other issues. The distance will help in part with that. There are some minor details that aren't important, as you'll find them out later. Plus your old friend Rupert will be alerting you closer to when it happens. His people will be in touch with your bosses."

Xander tensed at that.  

"What else," Danny asked. "It's kind of obvious there's other things."

"Fine, you two do have a long future ahead of you, just don't let anyone or any thing tear you apart. There will be times when it gets hard, but keep going on and remember to always trust each other."

*****

"So what do you think he didn't tell us," Danny asked as he held Xander close. Idly letting the fingers of his free hand comb through Xander's hair.

"Not sure, but it's probably nothing major. But he did seem to imply that there are problems ahead for us…"

"Mmmm Hmmmm. So what else is going on in your head sexy?"

Xander let out a soft sigh at that. "Just thinking is all. We both had crappy childhoods, so how are we supposed to help this kid out."

Danny let out a soft chuckle at that. "I think it's more we're supposed to give him some guidance and such, but we do know what not to do."

Xander slowly nodded at that. "Just hold me," he asked softly.

Pulling Xander closer, Danny whispered softly. "Always Xander, always."

 

The End

Yes there is a sequel planned. It's still in the idle thought/musings stage of being. So give it time, maybe a little feedback would help ;-)

Series this work belongs to: