Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
268
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,966

Memorial Day And Why It's Celebrated

Summary:

Why Memorial Day is celebrated.

Work Text:

Memorial day, or as it was other wise know, Decoration Day, is celebrated on the last Monday of May. The National holiday was originally set aside to commemorate the graves of the Union soldiers following the Civil War by lying out flowers and other signs of respect and remembrance and  meant to be a symbol of honoring these brave men and woman who gave their lives in defense of the country. Following World War I, the holiday was expanded on to include the fallen military personal of any war. This includes casualties of  military actions like Viet Nam.

The holiday is marked by visiting the graves of our fallen sons and daughters, aunts and uncles, mothers and fathers.  Traditionally, across the nation, a "moment of silence" is offered at 3PM EST and flags are flown at half-mast from dawn break to noon according to your personal time zone.

Poppies, a sign of remembrance made popular in a poem, "In Flander's Field" by John McCrae, following the death of a friend in the World War I. Bright red paper poppies are popularly sported on Memorial Day by the friends and family of the fallen soldiers being honored.

Memorial Day is also a day of renewal and coming-together for the survivors and family left behind. Picnics, family gathering and the ever popular sporting event or concert is commonly scheduled to follow the annual visit to the grave-sites.

All in all this is a day of family and country. A day to offer prayers for our lost and to celebrate with respect the lives they gave to protect the people they left behind