Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
763
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,196

Blue Fire

Summary:

based on 1992 movies The Lost World and Return to the Lost World starrring John Rhys-Davies and David Warner -- explains why Challenger and Summerlee have started feuding again -- Challenger/Summerlee preslash

answer to "never talk about it" challenge

Work Text:

They never talked about it, the underlying thing between them. The thing that ran deeper than competitive scientific theories or the constant need to bicker and needle one another. It was more than a game of getting one up on the other or the need to see who was the better scientist.

They were both brilliant, although Challenger would never admit that Summerlee was on his level. He liked to scoff that Summerlee completely lacked imagination, although he would never admit that he knew it wasn’t true. On the other hand, he’d gladly admit that he liked it when he got under Summerlee’s skin. He liked seeing those blue eyes turn absolutely glacial, seeing the fire simmering underneath that pompous façade.

Surprisingly, Summerlee had turned out to be of more use on the expedition than he originally thought. It was Summerlee who climbed the rock face. It was Summerlee who saved the dinosaurs. And the man readily admitted he was wrong about the existence of the lost world. Challenger wasn’t sure if he could do that, not that he was ever wrong.

Challenger normally liked to be the center of attention, but now that he’d proved his theories, all those phonies at the zoological institute fawned all over him. It was disgusting. If Summerlee and Malone hadn’t made him promise to behave, he would’ve used language on those toads that would’ve made a sailor blush.

During another one of those interminable parties, he hid as well against the wall as a man of his size could. He sipped a glass of wine, ignoring the conversation buzzing all around him. It was all inane drivel. He caught sight of Summerlee telling of their adventures to a group of young men.

One end of his mouth quirked up. Who knew that Summerlee would turn out to be such a masterful storyteller? That was supposed to be Malone’s job, but when Summerlee wasn’t using the same voice he used on the lecture podium, he could be quite entertaining.

Challenger’s eyes narrowed when an older woman appeared at Summerlee’s side and latched onto his arm. How dare that female paw him! It was indecent! What was her name? Countess…He was so flustered he couldn’t remember. He saw Summerlee cover her hand with his. His grip tightened on the glass and the stem snapped.

He never took his eyes off them as he shoved the broken pieces at a waiter and took the offered towel to wipe off his hands. He scowled. What was she playing at? She was at least fifteen years older than Summerlee, probably more. And what about Summerlee? She had money, but Summerlee wasn’t a gold digger. He had too much pride for that.

“If looks could kill,” a voice said in amusement and there was a tap on his shoulder.

Challenger started and glared. “Don’t sneak up on me, Malone.”

Malone held his hands up. “I didn’t mean to. I said your name.” He nodded towards Summerlee. “But you were too busy glaring daggers at Professor Summerlee. Don’t tell me that you two have started feuding again.”

Challenger cleared his throat. “Oh, no.”

“Good, because life is so much easier on the rest of us when you two aren’t trying to kill each other.”

Challenger straightened up. “Is it my fault the man is stupid enough to doubt me?”

Malone smiled. “So, what’s the problem?”

“Nothing,” Challenger answered tightly.

“Come on, Professor. You can trust me,” Malone said earnestly.

Challenger saw the woman fan herself as if she was hot and lean against Summerlee. He grunted softly as Summerlee guided the woman towards the exit. He forced himself to look at Malone and patted Malone’s shoulder. “I know that, lad, but sometimes geniuses need to brood.”

Malone studied Challenger for a moment. He nodded. “Brood away then. I’m going to go find Jenny.”

Challenger settled back in against the wall. He heard two men talking a few feet from him and his ears perked up when they mentioned Summerlee. “Arthur told me that his next research paper will be on the origins of the Orinoco river,” the first one said.

“That should be interesting,” the second one answered. “Not as exciting as the lost world, but it should still be a good read. He doesn’t publish unless he’s sure of what he’s talking about.”

“And he supports his theories with facts. He does not expect you to believe him just because he says so.”

“No. He’s no Challenger.”

Challenger bared his teeth and rubbed his hands together. Whatever Summerlee said was bound to be wrong and he’d enjoy pointing it out. That would get Summerlee’s attention and he’d get to see that blue fire again.