Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
341
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,116

Switching Sides

Summary:

Summary: late at light, Gil considers the consequences of switching sides

Work Text:

Switching Sides
by Buffy

 

Of all his personal quirks and oddities, the one that annoyed Gil the most about himself was when he switched sides. If he wanted to sleep, he had to be on his side, his right side to be precise. Except that once in a while, for no reason he had ever been able to determine, he switched sides. He would have no warning of it, he would simply go to bed one night, lay down, and realize that it didn't feel right. He'd roll over and be hit by the simultaneous feeling of "This is the correct side," and "I should be facing the other direction." That right/wrong feeling made sleeping difficult enough when he was alone in the bed, but now that he shared a bed with someone, it was even more difficult.

On a normal night, Gil slept curled up around Jim. His head rested on Jiim's left shoulder, his left arm went over Jim's chest, and the steady cadence of Jim's breathing lulled him to
sleep. Tonight, he'd curled up in his usual position only to realize this was one of those nights. He'd waited until Jim was asleep, then rolled over, but he just couldn't get settled. The right/wrong feeling was stronger, because now it wasn't just about which side he was on, it was also about the fact that Jim was behind him now, barely touching instead of Gil being draped all along his lover.

Just as Gil was about to give up on sleep for the night and go read the new forensics journal that had come in the mail, one arm snaked around him and pulled him back against Jim's sleep-warmed chest. "Tell me why in the morning. Just go to sleep, babe." Gil knew Jim was barely awake from the near-purr in his voice, so he didn't try to argue. And somehow, with his lover holding him close, it began to feel a little more natural to fall asleep on his left side.

 

end