Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2010-11-27
Words:
12,314
Chapters:
9/9
Comments:
1
Kudos:
16
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
4,189

The long way

Summary:

Even after Lynch is out of the picture and Derek finally realized his feelings for Penelope, they still have a long way ahead of them.

Chapter 1: Accidentally in love

Chapter Text

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended. 

Title: Accidentally in love

Fandom: Criminal Minds

Pairing: Morgan/Garcia

Prompt for 10 dates: #8 Surprise

Rating: K

Disclaimer: Neither the show nor the characters belong to me, they belong to CBS. Nonetheless, I love to borrow them from time to time.

Summary: Part 1/? of the "Long way" series. Derek discovers some feelings he hadn't known were there.

warnings: none

 

It was official. He was in hell. Someone definitely hated him.

Not only did they have to solve a case in Alaska, it had taken them three weeks to finally catch the unsub and he was almost frozen to death. And now that it was over they weren't able to take off because of a freaking blizzard!

Oh, and his third problem was just approaching him. Bambie Miller, one of the detectives in the field office in Alaska. Seriously, who would name their child ‘Bambie'?! She was tall, blonde and certainly the most unnerving woman Derek had ever met.

On the first day they had met she'd practically jumped at him - and apparently she couldn't accept no for an answer. And worst of all she'd snapped at Penelope when the latter had been on speaker and flirted with Derek.

And right now Bambie was approaching him again.

"So", she grinned as she sat down lasciviously on the desk Derek was sitting at, "since you're snowed in I thought we could go out and have some drinks."

"No, thanks." he grumbled as he tried to flash her a smile that told her to back off. Unfortunately, she didn't understand.

"Why not?" the blonde-haired woman pouted.

Derek rolled his eyes. How direct did he have to be? "Because I'm not in the mood, okay?!"

She eyed him up suspiciously. "You look like someone who knows how to have fun." she leaned over the table offering much more insight than Derek wanted to have. "And I'm sure we would have a lot of fun."

"Okay, if you want to know the truth, I'm in love with someone else so all your effort is useless. And now excuse me!" he grunted and then stood up to walk away from her leaving her with her mouth hanging open.

JJ's jaw dropped at his words and she hurried after him: "What was that?"

"What was what?" Derek grumbled.

"You just blew off a hot woman who was practically in your bed waiting for you - and you said you were in love with someone else." JJ reminded him.

Derek frowned at her. He wasn't sure why he'd said that or where that had come from. He hadn't even thought about his words.

"So?" he finally asked.

JJ's eyes widened. "Are you serious? You are in love?"

"No offense, JJ, but I don't think that's any of your business." he mumbled and stomped back into his hotel room to take a hot shower. He was still freezing.

Sighing Derek opened his laptop and waited for her smiling face to appear on the screen.

"Hey, sunshine, what can I do to brighten your day?" she greeted happily.

He smiled, the first genuine smile that day. "You already did, baby girl."

"That bad, huh?" she gave him a sympathetic look.

Sighing again Derek grabbed a piece of the pizza he'd ordered and mumbled: "You so have no idea."

"Poor baby." Penelope grinned as she admiringly shoved some of the Chinese food she'd just ordered into her mouth.

Derek let his head drop. "You're depressing me, you know that?"

"Why?" she asked puzzled.

"Because you're having a delicious meal while I'm eating this." he replied and pointed at the slack piece of pizza in his hand.

She grimaced: "Why aren't you out having some fun with Bambie instead of spoiling this meal for me?"

"I'm sorry about her behavior earlier." Derek frowned. "I hope you didn't take what she said too serious. She's a pain in the ass."

Penelope was astonished for a moment. She hadn't expected him to apologize for this girl's behavior - nor admitting that she wasn't exactly the most pleasant person in the world. Then it hit her. "So, she blew you off, huh?"

Snorting slightly Derek replied: "No, to be honest, she asked me out. Well, she could as well have just ripped her cloths off in front of me, if you know what I mean."

"Okay, Derek, spill it! What's wrong with you?" she demanded to know.

Derek raised his eyebrows at her: "What do you mean? There's nothing wrong with me."

"You haven't been out in quite some time and now you are the one blowing off a hot chick who's throwing herself into your arms and whom you most likely won't meet again. Why didn't you take your chance?" she exclaimed.

Derek thought about it for a moment. It wasn't that he'd paid much attention to a girl's character before. Not that he hadn't been choosy, but since he never really wanted a relationship... Thinking about it he had to admit that Penelope was right. He hadn't been out in quite a while. Instead he'd spent many evenings alone wondering what in the world Penelope had found in that geek Lynch. Fortunately, that wasn't a problem anymore.

"Maybe I just chose to have dinner with you over drinking with her." he grinned and waggled his eyebrows at Penelope.

She looked at the pizza in his hands and then back into his face: "You can't really call THAT having dinner with me."

He chuckled: "Well, call it the date of the future."

"Yeah, I bet that's gonna be the new kind of speed dating in the future." she giggled and then her eyes widened. "Wait, did you just say date?"

"Um... yeah, I guess so." he shrugged. They'd been out so many times and he'd never called one of their evenings spent together a date. So why did that term occur to him when they were eating while chatting via webcam? It didn't make any sense.

Okay, so he was definitely not himself at the moment. That certainly was due to the cold in Alaska... So she decided to let it go. "Call me old-fashioned, but I really don't think that should count as a date."

Derek sighed again as he chewed on another piece of pizza. "I promise I'll make up for that once I'm back at Quantico."

And immediately Penelope's mood lightened considerably. "I'm so gonna take you up on that, hot stuff." she grinned.