Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
463
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,159

Somethings never change

Summary:

The Doctor studies Jack in his element

Work Text:



Somethings never change
by Jendang
atheneunknown@hotmail.com

 

The Doctor watched Jack move through the diner, laughing with a waitress who he apparently knew. Or had known. Or wanted to know. With Jack Harkness it was always hard to tell which tense the 'know' would be in. The Doctor couldn't help but shake his head. Some things never change... He thought to himself as he sipped his coffee, giving it a cringe and a glare before setting it back down. Jack stood at the counter, giving the man on the other side their orders with his hundred killowatt smile beaming like a lighthouse beacon.

Some things never change...If there was any statement that summed up Jack Harkness, that would be it. The day he'd met the man he'd knew he was a Hero waiting to be given a chance. He'd never have said it then, not till he knew that Jack was ready for the responsibility. Can't just dump helping to save the universe in someones lap without at least making sure they've outgrown their toddler shoes maturity wise. Jack had, and the Doctor was pleased. Some people just needed guidance, or a reason to step up and be who they always had building inside of them. Most of them just didn't think they were worth the fight. All of them were wrong.

Only one thing had changed within Jack since the Doctor met him so long ago. And it was the Doctors fault in a way, and it would always make them bound to each other. That sadness in Jacks eyes hadn't been there when they'd met. There had been a glimmer of it, of mourning for what had been lost before. But it was a full fledged flame now, and sometimes when Jack looked at him, no matter what he did, he got burned by it. The guilt for it was something he'd long since convinced himself he'd let go, but it always rushed back in those moments.

Jack would stand beside him through everything, without question, simply because the Doctor was the man who made him. And to a point the Doctor felt honored.

The Doctor would always come back for Jack, without question, because Jack was the closest thing to Human the Doctor himself could ever be, and sometimes he needed reminding. Jack never knew why he was always on the front line of the Doctors team, but he didn't ever ask either. Maybe some questions are better left unspoken. The Doctor smiled as Jack returned, holding a plate for each of them and started on about the most recent encounter with the Slitheen that his team had.

Yes, chips and bad coffee and Jack Harkness. This was his humanity, and he didn't mind it a bit.

 

end