Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
281
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,206

The New Bed

Summary:

getting to sleep on a new mattress once he got home was harder than he expected.

Work Text:

The New Bed
by Buffy

 

After years of sleeping on Navy-issue mattresses in regulation-sized bunks, it was strange to be in a king-sized bed in the house he'd bought not long before he'd shipped out.  Elroy was thankful his sister had aired it out and put fresh linens out for him, and even more thankful she was giving him a couple days to get used to civilian life before the family descended.

Laying down, Elroy just couldn't get comfortable.  For one thing, there was too much room, he felt like he was going to roll off the edge, except there wasn't an edge anywhere near him.  And it was a practically-new mattress.  That spring that used to stand up to fit just behind where his knees bent to fit the bunk on Taratupa wasn't there.  Neither was the lump that made the thin pillow comfortable on that mattress.  And the dip that had kept him from rolling out of his bunk in Italy was missing, too.  As much as he'd dreamed of it while he was in the service, his civilian bed was almost too comfortable to be comfortable.

It wasn't until his lover crawled in behind him and draped a heavy arm over his chest that Elroy started to feel that he could get used to this bed.  Of course, it was nice to have a bed that they could both fit in without creative maneuvers.  One of the few downsides he'd found to having a big man like Quint as a lover while living in Navy quarters.  But they were civilians now, and they didn't have to sneak around Old Leadbottom any more, either.

end