Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
674
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
16
Hits:
1,021

Preparing the ground

Summary:

Josh can't sleep. And Leo won't get any sleep either until Josh's mind is settled

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Category: West Wing fic
Rating: PG in places
Characters: Leo/Josh mainly
Series: No
Spoilers: Stirred and anything that came before
Summary: Josh can't sleep
Archive: Just tell me where it's going
Additional -stuff': Post ep for Stirred
From Season Three - Stirred:

JOSH
What about Leo?

LEO
What'd I do?

JOSH
As running mate. Bartlet-McGarry.

LEO
Done.

JOSH
It's not absurd you know.

LEO
Yes, it is.

JOSH
It's not totally absurd.

LEO
Yes, it is.

***

LEO
You guys don't think an alcoholic can be Vice-President? You really think the 20th century didn't see an alcoholic in the West Wing? I'll be around.

He stands up and leaves. Josh looks pensive.

CUT TO: INT. MARGARET'S OFFICE - CONTINUOUS
Leo enters. Margaret hands him messages. Josh leaves the meeting and comes to join them.

JOSH
Hey... Leo. That didn't mean anything?

LEO
Yeah, I didn't take anything.

***

JOSH
I don't want to go back to my meeting.

LEO
Well you're not staying here.

JOSH
Okay. [leaves]

Title: Preparing the ground

Leo didn't bother going to bed. He knew the telephone would ring. Or the doorbell. So he waited up.

Thirty minutes later...

-Um...can I...you know, come in?'

Leo stood aside and let Josh wander into his apartment, slowly, apparently wary that something bad might jump out at him as he entered.

-Josh?'

Leo's attempt to kick-start the conversation failed miserably. Josh continued to walk around, finally backing against the wall separating the living room and kitchen. -Are you sick?'

Leo frowned. -No. Why?'

Josh heard and ignored the tone. -Was it some kind of test?'

Leo shook his head. -No.'

-Then why Leo...I mean...'

-Why did I make you take such a difficult meeting on your own?'

-Yes!' Josh snapped crossly.

Leo took a deep breath. -You need the practice.'

-In what? Pissing people off? The Vice President? You?'

-Why would I be angry about what happened tonight?' Leo asked casually.

-Because...um...you know...'

-Because I won't be on the ticket this time?'

Josh fidgeted. -Yeah.'

Leo smiled and dropped into a deeply-upholstered armchair. -Siddown kid.'

Reluctantly, Josh sat.

Leo sat forward, forearms resting on his knees. -You don't think the country will have a hard enough time re-electing the President, without my name beside his?'

Josh wasn't letting Leo get away with it. -Don't make this about Bartlet or MS. We're talking about you.'

-No Josh, we aren't!'

Leo's voice had enough edge to make Josh back down under normal circumstances. Quickly. But these were not normal circumstances. -Is there something wrong with you too?'

Leo's head snapped up. -What?!'

-Making me take that meeting was a way of making sure you didn't take part in the discussion. I wanna know why.'

Leo shook his head. -Josh! I can't weigh in on a discussion about...'

Crossly, Josh scowled. -So you sent me in there to do your dirty work for you, knowing full well the President had no intention of taking Hoynes...'

Leo waited until Josh looked up, saw his face and stopped talking. -You done?'

Josh nodded, embarrassed and uncomfortable. Softly, he asked: -Why Leo?'

-Because I might die.'

Josh's face flickered with a flash of panic before he controlled his emotions at the thought. Stubbornly, he shook his head. -No.'

Leo smiled a little. -And if you have to take over at short notice, I don't want you doing a crappy job.'

Josh got up. -Can we not talk about this please?'

Leo shrugged. -You came over.'

Josh acknowledged the point with a nod and turned. -Yeah. I'm...going now.'

Leo got up. -C'mere.'

Josh walked across and stood in front of Leo, head down, shoulders slumped.

Leo hugged Josh tightly for a moment, then pushed him away, holding his forearms tightly. -No more practice for a while, okay?'

Relieved, Josh forced a slight smile. -Okay.'

Leo released Josh who picked up his backpack, pulling it on. -See you tomorrow.'

Leo nodded. -Yeah. Don't be late. Your boss likes punctuality.'

Josh smiled and turned to leave. -Night Leo.'

End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author fanficwriter101.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.